• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I was told last night that VR isn't good for children. I hadn't thought it might hurt their brain development. I've read a few articles this morning and se ethereal is really no conclusive evidence either way on both brain development and eyesight issues.

anyone here have any real life experience with their kids and VR?

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm no doctor, so I'm not telling you what is definitely safe.....

But it's my understanding that the real issue is eye strain because of the distance between the eyes of a child not being wide enough to match that of the PSVR. Also there's the added danger of stumbling into things or throwing a controller.

My boy is 7 years old and he is allowed 30 minutes on our PSVR once every blue moon, and we sit near him. He hasn't gone blind or cross eyed yet.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Sony, Oculus and other companies recommend that the age be 12-13+ for players to use the VR headsets. I imagine it makes sense that developing eyes could get damaged. I would personally wait, the same way it makes sense to not give a child a tablet or phone up close to their face (especially when it is dark). However, I suppose it is up to the parent.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I do know that a child's depth perception is still developing until about the age of seven, and so Nintendo had warnings plastered everywhere to not let kids that young use the 3D effect on the 3DS. I have no idea what effect VR might have on a kid that young, though.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I'm no expert, but I don't expect it would cause a problem. Back in 1976, when I was 8, I used to have a kaleidoscopic toy with a rotating wheel of images. You used to put both eyes to it for a 3D effect. I grew up OK, kinda. Lol.

If you have any doubts, I would err on the side of caution. It's not worth the risk, and I could easily imagine kids being more susceptible to motion sickness from VR.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, I've jumped down this rabbit hole as well. For me, it was 3D glasses on a comic book for my 3 year old. I couldn't find any scientific findings on if it's good or bad for kids since they are still developing their eyes.

You would think it would be safe as long as its a little bit though.

gnilres

Oct 28, 2017
It's the new "don't watch so close to the tv". It's fine, you're ancestors at age 8 were hardy as shit and we still technically are

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Sounds like a good question for your pediatrician. Hopefully you have one you can quickly fire off a question to for something like this. Definitely not something you wanna get a feel for from the internet.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
The thing about VR is that it's much more comfortable on my eyes than other types of 3D like the 3DS and 3D glasses. My nephew used it very briefly when he was 8-9. He was blown away by VR but I was always concerned so I limited his exposure to it.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Like anything, moderation is key. There is no issue and if it hurts or bothers him I can guarantee he would complain and take it off. Let him try for a little while there is no harm. All disclaimers are meant for is to protect from idiots without common sense.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you strictly limit and supervise playtime and tell the kid to stop and tell as soon as there is any discomfort, you should be fine. I showed PSVR to relatives ober a year ago and their young daughter loved it and it let to the family getting a set for themselves even.
What I think is important is to start with the right games and experiences that are not too taxing. I always got mad when people jumped into a straining and badly optimized game when PSVR launched, got sick and blamed the technology as a whole instead of starting slow and get a feel for VR.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I forget, does PSVR have those adjustments to eye width like the Oculus? That would be my only concern, because if those aren't set correctly it makes it hard on the eyes.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
In small doses I'm sure it's fine. I've let my kids dabble with it and they're all 10 or under.

Even Nintendo was playing it safe with the 3DS warnings.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I forget, does PSVR have those adjustments to eye width like the Oculus? That would be my only concern, because if those aren't set correctly it makes it hard on the eyes.
Yep this. The PSVR doesn't have an PD adjustment, let alone one suitable for children. I'd be surprised if the software either given that these companies don't want children using them because of the unknown risks.
A short burst might not be problematic, but you might actually cause muscular issues in the eyes for longer periods.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
It's the new "don't watch so close to the tv". It's fine, you're ancestors at age 8 were hardy as shit and we still technically are

I feel like your argument makes no sense in this case. Just because our ancestors had their own challenges that they overcame doesn't mean someone shouldn't be careful with a new product and a developing child.

We know a lot more about developing bodies than we did when kids were all plowing the fields and working with livestock all day.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
It's less that there are issues with kids using VR, and more that we don't know the long term effects.

There are still some concerns that the main headsets aren't made for kids in mind. So they are not designed for the kids heads and eyes.
If the kid is able to wear the headset comfortably and has adjustments that fit their eyes, there isn't reason for concern other than there are no long term studies showing impacts.

Vaiim

Oct 30, 2017
From a visual point of view, using VR a bit is probably ok at his age, but definitely heavily limit the play time and plenty of regular breaks - for example I would not let my own child use it for more than 10hrs a week, and not than 30min without break. If he were to use it a lot at his age, while his eyes are still developing, then they won't develop in the best way, and he's more likely to need glasses for the rest of his life as a result. Growing eyes need to spend a good amount of time being able to focus at a range of distances and especially long distances (as we naturally do s lot of close work these days) to develop in the most ideal way, that's why one recommendation to try to avoid (or limit the extent of) shortsightedness, is for children to spend more time outside.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Kids love VR but I always make sure it's in short bursts when my nephews and nieces nag me about it, just little fun 15 minute experiences and I mirror everything for them on a big screen so they can see what the others are doing and get in on the fun without the possible health risks.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
My three year old has his own Oculus Quest. He seems to be doing great! I play a lot of VR and am fine with my kids playing Vacation Simulator.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Please consult a professional OP. There is a reason why VR headsets have an age recommendation. I'm sure they have spoken with medical professionals. It's probably a question for your child's eye doctor or an eye doctor in general. Don't take medical advice from a game forum IMO.

I don't let my 7 year old near my headset.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Sony themselves recommend you don't play children under 12 play it. They wouldn't recommend that for no reason. Don't let them use it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
There was a VR dev who said he got permanent vision degradation from extended hours in a Oculus Rift, guy was 25 and had his prescription upgraded to the kind a 40 year old would have.

Anecdotal I know but it seems obvious that VR can be harmful. I just got a headset recently for Alyx, when I beat it I'll probably put the headset away and only use it occasionally I reckon

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's WRONG.
www.vrheads.com

How to fix every tracking issue on PlayStation VR

Tracking is one of the biggest issues facing the PlayStation VR. Here are some tips to help address those concerns.

I know that it had a software were one, but it's not the same as an optical adjustment. It's super awkward , Not only do you need to accurately measure a child's PD (something that professionals literally take exams in) but even then you can only set it binocularly - which means some problems may still remain.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you let him use it a bit, it will probably not do anything.

That said, even the professionals didn't seem to come to a conclusion.

My brother in law, who is an eye doctor (his whole family are) and my MD siblings were fine with my nephews playing it for a bit on Xmas several years ago so it can't be that bad.

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't let any children use a PSVR until they're around 12 years old.

I didn't activate the PSVR option on my nephew's PS4 until he reached that age but he never bought one in the end!

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
There's no firm medical evidence that it's damaging to children. It's a liability issue more than anything. They don't want parents leaving their children to play with something where they're blindfolded and draped in cords. I'd say keep it to supervised 30-minute sessions to be safe.