• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've had one user here on ERA completely destroy a game's score on metacritic just because the game treated his "waifu" or whatever badly. And that was just one person. So yeah it'll be review bombed.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It literally did happen, with Astral Chain, which is why that game was brought up.
And my answer will be the same, it's a legit opinion. If "user reviews" are supposed to be representative of the public opinion at large, then no matter how imperfect (read: incomplete) it will be, people not liking the game because they're not on certain platforms is still a valid opinion. It doesn't represent e.g. how finely tuned the game mechanics may be, but such is the limitation of numerical scoring.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
is pizza gamer better? I changed it to pizza gamer since pizza is my favorite food

No stick to "Pancake Gamer" from now on anytime anybody complains about VR games I will just reply with the simple:

"Ok pancake gamer"

pancakedvkro.png

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
And my answer will be the same, it's a legit opinion. If "user reviews" are supposed to be representative of the public opinion at large, then no matter how imperfect (read: incomplete) it will be, people not liking the game because they're not on certain platforms is a valid opinion. It doesn't represent e.g. how finely tuned the game mechanics may be, but such is the limitation of numerical scoring.
So because I want game x to be on my console, it's fine for me to give a game a 0/10?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
So because I want game x to be on my console, it's fine for me to give a game a 0/10?
Why wouldn't it be? What's a legit opinion? Are you paid by the competitor?

Of course some people will always try to abuse the system, and it has the potential to become a console war proxy (what doesn't though?).

But if you want to play a game and can't because you don't own the compatible platform, then it's (for you) an objective major flaw of the game, even if it's written on the box and you aren't deceived.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah right, "pancake" is a 100% neutral, non-derogatory term lol

I like it the to point I might use it to describe myself as of now, sense of humor and all that, but let's not pretend it isn't used in a snobbish way.
I really havent seen it in a snobbish way. I've seen flat and pancake used interchangibly. It maybe started as a joke but I always see it as another way to say flat

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, though I actually think it probably was intended to poke fun at "the old way" just a little bit. It was a VR dev explaining that they wouldn't be making a non-VR version, after all; there's an implication that "the pancake version" is something that people shouldn't want in a world with VR.

We can agree to disagree on that, but I can definitely see why people would think using it in the context of pancake gamers is elitist or a little derisive. It's like when motorcyclists call automobile drivers "cagers." Like, yeah, there is a literal cage around someone who drives a car, but there's also more than a little implied judgement there, like if only those people were more enlightened they would break out of their cage and ride a motorcycle. If only pancake gamers would just open their eyes, they would obviously see the benefits of non-pancake version of games!

I think both terms are elitist bullshit, and I say this as someone who enjoys both motorcycles and VR.
Yeah, this is exactly why attaching a silly term to the group that you're not a part of is generally elitist bullshit. A lot of groups do this, especially on places like reddit. Though many othering terms on reddit are way more mean-spirited.

It's the same thing as when decades ago, people tried to introduce the term "meatspace" for real life because they were so techy and into cyberspace instead. It deliberately puts distance between you and the group that you're not into. It also adds an air of elitism to your own group, because you have no need to come up with a silly name for whatever you're doing.

"Pancake" or "pizza" may be benign words in themselves, but the point is that there's no need to even make up a term when you could just say "non-vr" and avoid introducing this whole angle in the first place.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, probably. I can see people buying it and then refunding it so they can do that on Steam, which... won't be good.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I got a feeling that many toxic pizza gamers will be review-bombing this game, to vent their frustration for many reasons: that they can't play this (because they cant afford one etc), because this is not available on their platform of choice, because this represents that VR is still very much alive despite what the haters hope for, and others reasons not related to the game quality.

This just seems like OP is the inverse of the "pizza gamers" review bombing.

OP is the white knight here to defend the games and valves honour against of the hoards of pizza gamers trying to make it look bad.

Meta critic User scores confirmed terrible once again as they are easily manipulated.

OP just chill it actually doesn't really matter.. the world will not end

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
www.resetera.com

AI: The Somnium Files was review bombed on Metacritic (From 8.2 to 1.9 in 1 day)

I have my problems with this game, but it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you like the Zero Escape or Ace Attorney games. It's a fairly light-hearted overall, but it can still pack an emotional punch when it wants to. It also revolves around a pretty mature and grounded theme that...

There are some plot twists and burying the lede, you think Krvavi Abadas is a good guy for going on about Metacritic systems but turns out he's the mastermind villain because of his unhealthy obsession with a female character.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hope not. I'm disappointed that it's a VR only title, but I'm not going to shit on the VR game for being a VR game. There's other games for me to play.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This just seems like OP is the inverse of the "pizza gamers" review bombing.

OP is the white knight here to defend the games and valves honour against of the hoards of pizza gamers trying to make it look bad.

Meta critic User scores confirmed terrible once again as they are easily manipulated.

OP just chill it actually doesn't really matter.. the world will not end
why is everyone telling me to chill when i am rather calm, lol

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. When the game was revealed there was a lot of topics in the Steam community about review bombing and even included guides lol. If people are going to do it there, I don't know what would stop them from doing it the easier ways.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
A bunch will try, but it won't catch on if Valve's review-bombing algorithm works as intended, and it probably will.

Also: I love VR games but this "pancake" shit is just... not great. Honestly sounds smug as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect some review bombing but not necessarily because it's a VR only spin off. No, the problem is Valve has piss poor output when it comes to giving people things they want and now to release this instead of Half Life 3, well that's probably going to ruffle some feathers. It's not going to be as poorly met as Artifact but people are still going to be frustrated.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
www.resetera.com

AI: The Somnium Files was review bombed on Metacritic (From 8.2 to 1.9 in 1 day)

I have my problems with this game, but it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you like the Zero Escape or Ace Attorney games. It's a fairly light-hearted overall, but it can still pack an emotional punch when it wants to. It also revolves around a pretty mature and grounded theme that...

There are some plot twists and burying the lede, you think Krvavi Abadas is a good guy for going on about Metacritic systems but turns out he's the mastermind villain because of his unhealthy obsession with a female character.
Oh haaaa. I read that post and remember thinking, boy that guy was really on top of what happened, that's weird, almost looks like a pyromaniac alerting the fire brigade. Oh well probably nothing... I never knew it continued on like that.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
I mean if you can call modding Mario 64 to be a 2D platformer the same game, sure that may happen. I'd rather watch the entire game on YouTube though, instead of subjecting myself to this.
What specific VR features cant be mapped to a controller? Sure some puzzles might require the 3D controller, but I doubt that it cant be translated to a traditional controller, even if it means that it will be clunky as hell. It will just allow more people to enjoy the game (even means in an inferior form)

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Non VR games have been called Pancake Games for quite a while no rofl. I know Era is often out of touch but hey.

That said Arthands I have never seen anyone call people who play flat games pancake gamers so you have to realize how someone would see it as a slight.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Holy shit.

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is a "pizza gamer"
I'm sure this has been asked and answered in this very thread but I still need to ask who tried to make this a thing and if they are already serving a sentence for it

Edit: Or I guess pancake gamer which sounds even dumber somehow?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"pancake gamer" "pizza gamer" lol, the only thing toxic about this is the stupid generalizations in the OP.

Unfortunately it'll probably be review bombed, like basically every other game on metacritic.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
What the fuck is a "pizza gamer"
I'm sure this has been asked and answered in this very thread but I still need to ask who tried to make this a thing and if they are already serving a sentence for it

Edit: Or I guess pancake gamer which sounds even dumber somehow?
The two greatest political movements of our time, pizzagate and gamergate together at last.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
is pizza gamer better? I changed it to pizza gamer since pizza is my favorite food

Probably worse, made me think of "PizzaGater," which would be a person deep in the alt-right / fringe conspiracy theorist world, which eventually led to someone carrying an assault rifle into a DC pizza shop which was, wrongfully and in utter fantasy land, alleged to be the center of a vast Democratic-party-led-child-sex-ring.

Honestly thought you were making a play on words with it

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
What specific VR features cant be mapped to a controller? Sure some puzzles might require the 3D controller, but I doubt that it cant be translated to a traditional controller, even if it means that it will be clunky as hell. It will just allow more people to enjoy the game (even means in an inferior form)
All of the core systems will be reliant on 6DoF physics interactions. This means the player mechanics, the AI, the puzzles, and possibly even general NPC interactions.

It's the same difficulty as having to make Mario 64 as a 2D game.