• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Topic. What do you think? this is the first VR AAA title that pancake gamers starts to sit up and take notice to beg for a pancake version, which makes this an easy target for review-bombing. This ain't some B tier project or a shoved-in extra VR content, or some short experimental tech demo or passive experience.

I got a feeling that many toxic pancake gamers will be review-bombing this game, to vent their frustration for many reasons: that they can't play this (because they cant afford one etc), because this is not available on their platform of choice, because this represents that VR is still very much alive despite what the haters hope for, and others reasons not related to the game quality.

If you're preemptively worried about "toxic" "haters" review-bombing a game before you've even played it, that sounds like a you problem.

I like the little peppering of classism, too ("because they cant afford one").

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why people still pay attention to metacritic user scores ? Like why?

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're preemptively worried about "toxic" "haters" review-bombing a game before you've even played it, that sounds like a you problem.

I like the little peppering of classism, too ("because they cant afford one").

i ain't worrying though. I am just wondering if anyone else feels the same thats all. Also, not being able to afford one is often cited as the main reasons why they dont have VR.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It completely depends in how well it uses VR. I would never expect Astro Bot to get a non-VR version because it uses the medium well but there are some games that don't use the format's unique features and it makes you wonder why they're in VR in the first place

Hopefully Half Life Alyx will help push the VR medium forward by showcasing what VR can do which will make calls for a flat version moot. If it doesn't do that, then I can see people pushing for a non-VR version and I would understand why. I'm hoping for the former case.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Can you name one instance where it has been used positively to describe people who prefer non-VR games?
The phrase shows up in racing game threads on occasion and I don't think I've ever seen it used as a negative descriptive phrase about someone. Just usually as a method of differentiating between VR and non-VR.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
A
For context, "pancake version" is a term that refers to a non-VR version of a game, which, IIRC, was jokingly coined by a VR dev on Twitter when he was asked if there'd be a non-VR version of their game. "Pancake" isn't meant to be some sort of slight; it's just a reference to traditional displays being limited to showing a flattened (i.e. pancake-like) image.

I mean, you could say the same about the walking simulators. Started as a joke and we got stuck with the word.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I dont see how pancake is offensive thought, but ok. I change the term so the topic wont get derailed
It's not 'offensive', but it's definitely elitist. Hell, I own a VR but to call non-VR games and gamers "pancake" is pure mockery.

Back on topic - there'll be a few. Comes with the territory these days sadly. It should be a new internet rule ala 'Don't read the YouTube comments'; 'Don't trust the user scores'.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm just glad people can't bomb it on Steam. Who cares about metacritic user scores.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The phrase shows up in racing game threads on occasion and I don't think I've ever seen it used as a negative descriptive phrase about someone. Just usually as a method of differentiating between VR and non-VR.
Which I find weird to do as 'flat' and 'non-VR' are shorter words that get the same point across. 'Pancake' comes across as absurdist mockery to easily disregard and disrepute a differing opinion.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
"Pancake" isn't meant to be some sort of slight; it's just a reference to traditional displays being limited to showing a flattened (i.e. pancake-like) image.

I get that, though I actually think it probably was intended to poke fun at "the old way" just a little bit. It was a VR dev explaining that they wouldn't be making a non-VR version, after all; there's an implication that "the pancake version" is something that people shouldn't want in a world with VR.

We can agree to disagree on that, but I can definitely see why people would think using it in the context of pancake gamers is elitist or a little derisive. It's like when motorcyclists call automobile drivers "cagers." Like, yeah, there is a literal cage around someone who drives a car, but there's also more than a little implied judgement there, like if only those people were more enlightened they would break out of their cage and ride a motorcycle. If only pancake gamers would just open their eyes, they would obviously see the benefits of non-pancake version of games!

I think both terms are elitist bullshit, and I say this as someone who enjoys both motorcycles and VR.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Pancake gamer. Well, that's a first. You learn something new everyday. Sadly, I can't unlearn it.

Oct 25, 2017
"Who cares about user-reviews anyway?" says gamer as he talks about the latest game that got review bombed for second time this week.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
"Walking simulator" has always had negative connotations. It came into existence when Dear Esther released (the mod, not the remake) and people wanted an easy way to refer to the lack of "real" gameplay.

my point is, lets not have pancake users or something become the defacto term. it totally has a derogatory vibe to it!

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It will obviously happen. Considering we have a first major entry in Half-Life franchise since a long time, we will definitely have some individuals on a mission to review-bomb because of its being a VR game. To be honest, I'm not that thrilled about it either, but I'm happy Valve gave this IP another chance and decided to push for something clearly more unique.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
The reveal trailer has half a million likes, and only 15 thousand dislikes. If these supposed people can't be bothered to down vote the trailer en masse, I don't think they are going to go through the trouble of buying and refunding a game so they can leave a review.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely lol.
I'm also fully expecting a non VR version mod too, which people will complain about being bad, because they're too stupid to realise that the game and it's systems were made to be experienced in VR.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game is relatively demanding, i assume. if you don't have a headset you probably don't have a PC that can run the game anyway.

i don't see VR has much of a barrier here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
game is relatively demanding, i assume. if you don't have a headset you probably don't have a PC that can run the game anyway.

i don't see VR has much of a barrier here.
Eh for a while you only needed like a 970. I'm sure that stands true for a lot of games still.

Edit: Seems like it's more like a 1060/1070 these days. Still about in line with the model that was required in the beginning.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen anyone begging for a non-vr version. People are pissed that this isn't the Half Life game we waited over a decade for, and rightfully so.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
It'll be review bombed for not being Half Life 3

The fact that it's VR exclusive is just the cherry on top of the explosive cake

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still want to make fun of the term "Pancake gamer"

OP if it isn't supposed to be rude/derogatory/whatever, what is it supposed to be

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are taking the joke of pancake gamer way to serious. Sadly yes, it will probably be review bombed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I still want to make fun of the term "Pancake gamer"

OP if it isn't supposed to be rude/derogatory/whatever, what is it supposed to be

There was a time, not too long ago, when toe shoes (like Vibram FiveFingers) very quickly became a religion in certain parts of California, and converts to this new religion very quickly became weirdly judgmental to the people who weren't into this new way of shoe-ing. One of the epithets the toe shoe people would call people with regular shoes is hoof people, because they thought it was just so unnatural for people to wear a non-toe-shoe. It made them appear as if they had hooves.

That's what I think of, when I read "pancake gamer." A tiny minority with misplaced superiority not understanding that not everybody wants to be them.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
There was a time, not too long ago, when toe shoes (like Vibram FiveFingers) very quickly became a religion in certain parts of California, and converts to this new religion very quickly became weirdly judgmental to the people who weren't into this new way of shoe-ing. One of the epithets the toe shoe people would call people with regular shoes is hoof people, because they thought it was just so unnatural for people to wear a non-toe-shoe. It made them appear as if they had hooves.

That's what I think of, when I read "pancake gamer." A tiny minority with misplaced superiority not understanding that not everybody wants to be them.
I think you are overthinking what is little more than some funny terminology.
Pancake=flat=2D=NonVR