• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure God of War is gonna do some completely crazy shit with the PS5. No doubt. Honestly, some kind of crazy realm-hopping shit that's very similar to what R&C is doing sounds like it'd make for an amazing GoW set piece too.

That said - the no loading/no cuts thing was a very cool technical and artistic exercise (and the assorted fast travel methods were pretty fucking elegant and did a good job of remaining interesting via dialogue or visuals while loading happened in the background), but it didn't do quite as much for me immersion-wise as e.g. Dead Space's insistence on an in-game HUD and inventory screen. If the next God of War game has one or two camera cuts take place in cutscenes I'm not going to be super upset about it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
When you see the loading time for Spider-man and Horizon 2 on PS4 compared to PS5 version, then maybe you'll know.
Unless their loading masks are unskippable, similar to how Avengers have unskippable quinjet conversations, and long intros to maps. Even if you have a fast drive, the waiting is tedious because the repetitive loading dialogs are there (imagine long conversations on the subway load screens in Spider-Man PS4 fast travel). Miles had that loading tunnel along with slow walking in the PS4 version.

I have doubts many things will be different from the PS4 version when it comes to fast loading. Maybe the boot times (though I wonder if you can skip the long logo sequences that show up), and fast travel may not have a cutscene. But when combat is going on, or point to point campaign transitions take place, they will likely have whatever the PS4 needs to load the next arena, or segmented set pieces, like the Hit Man Paris-ish street festival.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think GOW2 will be crossgen aswell tbh
I think there is a good chance Ragnarok is cross-gen considering how fast it is coming out
God of War is a 2021 game so it's probably cross gen

This is silly. Demon's Souls is a 2020 game, and isn't cross-gen. Ratchet & Clank is (probably) a 2021 game, and isn't cross-gen.

Not to mention that being a next-gen exclusive is actually a good explanation for why Ragnarok is coming out so fast.

OP
OP
iswasdoes

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
For Ratchet - Wouldn't the "Spider verse" loading screen just be longer on a HDD. And the midcombat warping is set points, so doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility, probably doesn't even pull from SSD, just RAM - since you are staying in the same local environment. Maybe some LOD pop.

This is part of my point - its doing what you can do now faster sure, but its not literally doing something you cant do now. From most of the commentary ive read its open world/large area game design that will be really impacted by this change. Sorry that the level hopping doesnt blow my mind quite as much, its cool for sure but Im thinking later games will be able to do something more paradigm shifting

Off the top of my not-creative head, imagine if one of the set pieces in Ragnerok was say, a moon sized planet crashes into the scene having been thrown at yu by a god, and is instantly an explorable area, all at high fidelity and seamless in the flow of the action scene. Thats the stuff I get excited at the prospect of

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
For Ratchet - Wouldn't the "Spider verse" loading screen just be longer on a HDD. And the midcombat warping is set points, so doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility, probably doesn't even pull from SSD, just RAM - since you are staying in the same local environment. Maybe some LOD pop.
Yeah I suppose it's possible, and being a single player game it could be adapted to PS4, but it would be a horrible pacing. With the traditional R&C games, you always finish what you have to do on one planet before travelling to another, specifically because of the load time. The pacing of the game is designed that way.

If you switch across the multiverse in a way that's part of puzzles where lots of things happen at the same time, then it would be crazy annoying with the HDD, but super fun with the SSD.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
That's the promise of the ssd. I love that it's so fast folks are claiming it's edited. They obviously had ui and difficulty edited for the demo.
My coworker who is primarily a pc gamer and owns a nvme also thought it was edited.

Tbf in dark souls you usually travel from bonfire to bonfire. Unless some bird or monster flies/grabs you away.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls had near instant loading between areas and Ratchet is doing all kinds of crazy shit. I'm sure the new God of War will do neat things with the SSD, I'm sure we'll see new tricks and benefits for years. But we have clear examples of its power and advantages already.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls (2020) & Ratchet & Clank have already shown it off spectacularly.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
TJF3j6j.gif
This gif still blows my mind and I've seen it a crazy number of times.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I am not familiar with DS, what is it about what we have seen that seems enhanced by the SSD? The loading?

R&C seems more like a game that can simply not happen without the SSD.

Oct 30, 2017
We simply don't know.

And showing us the power of the SSD doesn't need to be actively demonstrated in our face every game.

If level design is enhanced, assets are more diverse, and developers don't have to spend a lot of time working around pulling data slowly from an HDD, then the SSD accomplished its job.

There certainly may be moments where its very obvious to the player that the game is providing a seamless, dynamic experience with a lot of moving parts that may feel like nothing before experienced on last generation.

In other instances, you may not notice the benefits of the SSD because you won't see what the product would be like if they had to build the game around the limitations of an HDD.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
This is part of my point - its doing what you can do now faster sure, but its not literally doing something you cant do now. From most of the commentary ive read its open world/large area game design that will be really impacted by this change. Sorry that the level hopping doesnt blow my mind quite as much, its cool for sure but Im thinking later games will be able to do something more paradigm shifting

Off the top of my not-creative head, imagine if one of the set pieces in Ragnerok was say, a moon sized planet crashes into the scene having been thrown at yu by a god, and is instantly an explorable area, all at high fidelity and seamless in the flow of the action scene. Thats the stuff I get excited at the prospect of

Off the top of my not-creative head, imagine if one of the set pieces in Ragnerok was say, a moon sized planet crashes into the scene having been thrown at yu by a god, and is instantly an explorable area, all at high fidelity and seamless in the flow of the action scene.

remove the crashing animation replace with portal animation, it's exactly what r&c is doing
Demon souls is doing something similar as well.

Your expectations asides, Those games already fit the bill.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Ratchet has done a really good job of that already.

It'll be the best looking game we've probably seen up to whatever point it's first shown though I bet.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Nope you don't have to wait for GOW2, Ratchet and Clank is absolutely showing the power of the SSD. Those dimension transfers that are like a second long are crazy.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe if you're only talking about playstation games. If not, then no because it's already happened.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Which has no bearing on Ragnarok.
But Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank do?
I'm just saying there is a pretty good chance that Ragnarok is cross-gen (I'd say 50/50 at this point)
I'm way more surprised that Horizon 2 is cross-gen

Would be nice if Sony would just tell us, but I'm guessing we'll have to wait a pretty long time to find out for sure

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I could see them have some instant realm switching in GoW. Jotunheim was already inaccessible via Yggdrasil. They could add an item that lets you switch instantaneously between realms, or have a huge convergence like event a la Thor 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Not sure, I think all WWS game will take advantage of it in some way. I guess you're asking who will have the most impact display of SSD design. I would put my money on ND, but all these games are already using it fully.

Demon's Souls
Ratchet and Clank
Returnal
GT7
etc...

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Ehhh I think that's just video editing, not an in-game load. The player doesn't spawn at another bonfire in that clip.
The gameplay demo is pretty much a frame-by-frame representation of the tutorial level of the original Demon's Souls. In the original, it was like that, you use the archstone to teleport to the next section. There's no archstone to go back (it's only a tutorial level and you only visit this area once per character, even after NG+, you start right at the nexus).

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
'The Medium' and 'Rachet and Clank' will be the first games to show off quick loading tricks.

I don't think we'll see a game where the SSD has an actual profound effect for quite some time though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it's cross-gen like miles cross-gen like miles or Horizon, you were seeing assets that are depending on a very fast SSD to stream in. Really, most people here won't recognize it unless it's going through a portal or something.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Deathloop will be out earlier, probably. And I'm guessing that game is aiming to make the whole island load simultaneously.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm soooooo fucking sick of people twisting themselves into pretzels to rationalize Ratchet and Clank not "counting" as next gen tech or visuals. Everything in that video, from graphics to high asset data streaming is literally, objectively impossible on current tech. How can one fabricate denial over this fact?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Ratchet & Clank and Demon's Souls already do this by letting the player teleport to a completely new location within seconds.
Also, we don't even know if this God of War game will be cross-gen or not, because if it is cross-gen the SSD will do nothing but help with loading screens.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
Since It's scheduled for 2021 I guess GoW2 will be cross gen too so it won't have SSD advantages except for fast loading (which is probably the only advantage will see this gen from the SSD).

OP
OP
iswasdoes

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I'm soooooo fucking sick of people twisting themselves into pretzels to rationalize Ratchet and Clank not "counting" as next gen tech or visuals. Everything in that video, from graphics to high asset data streaming is literally, objectively impossible on current tech. How can one fabricate denial over this fact?

I mean, im not 'sooo fucking sick' of anything because I can control my emotions when talking about videogames, but im super surprised that people think the transitions in the R+C demo are the upper echelon of what we can expect from this significant and fundamental shift in tech

I think people are reading my post as ratchet is not impressive. it is! But as I said, in line with Cernys original pitch for this we can hope to expect truly transformed open world games. Im genuinely not seeing that with ratchet, I see fast loading of a different level with a pretty obvious loading screen.

And i didnt even need to twist myself into a pretzel

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Im sure this will be deemed unfair to R+C, but quickly transitioning between levels doesnt really wow me like it seems to everyone else. The literal example cerny used was way more like what we'd see with God of War when it comes to making games that just 'work' differently to what were used to with mechanical drives, which is basically the super high fidelity set pieces of something liek GoW without the 'shuffle through a crack' buffers. Im more excited to see what that is than I am by these purple portals

Then the answer to your question is no, it won't

I mean, im not 'sooo fucking sick' of anything because I can control my emotions when talking about videogames, but im super surprised that people think the transitions in the R+C demo are the upper echelon of what we can expect from this significant and fundamental shift in tech

I think people are reading my post as ratchet is not impressive. it is! But as I said, in line with Cernys original pitch for this we can hope to expect truly transformed open world games. Im genuinely not seeing that with ratchet, I see fast loading of a different level with a pretty obvious loading screen.

And i didnt even need to twist myself into a pretzel

What is it that you think the SSD can do besides what Ratchet already is doing?

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Umm... I'm sorry but isn't Ratchet & Clank the defining/ most-impressive-so-far proof of concept for the SSD?