• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Demons Souls will do it on launch and Ratchet shortly after.

but yeah, GOW2 will be eye meltingly bonkers.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im sure this will be deemed unfair to R+C, but quickly transitioning between levels doesnt really wow me like it seems to everyone else. The literal example cerny used was way more like what we'd see with God of War when it comes to making games that just 'work' differently to what were used to with mechanical drives, which is basically the super high fidelity set pieces of something liek GoW without the 'shuffle through a crack' buffers. Im more excited to see what that is than I am by these purple portals

...its the same thing though? Instead of purple portals you just have a bigger level. You won't "feel" a difference unless you can feel where a shuffle through a crack loading section was supposed to be.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Demon's Souls had the instant transition into a new area and there's also Ratchet and Clank coming out, so no. Probably not.

That's really just a faster loading time in practice, and the original Demon's Souls makes that transition surprisingly fast. I'm looking forward to seeing if they do the same thing with the Archstone travel. Ratchet and Clank though, yes, pure next-gen.

Edit: Actually this is likely just a video edit, based on this:

SerpentineHandsomeHoneyeater-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Im sure this will be deemed unfair to R+C, but quickly transitioning between levels doesnt really wow me like it seems to everyone else. The literal example cerny used was way more like what we'd see with God of War when it comes to making games that just 'work' differently to what were used to with mechanical drives, which is basically the super high fidelity set pieces of something liek GoW without the 'shuffle through a crack' buffers. Im more excited to see what that is than I am by these purple portals

If I can open a portal and hop from one planet to another in R&C I'll be pretty satisfied

I actually tend to waste a lot of time on the planetary transitions in those games cuz I forget to do like 1 thing and have to go back constantly lol

But yeah, going from God of War 2018's world traversal to the new game's way of doing it could be much more of a wow-factor including how crazy some of the setpieces will get.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Such a weird question for a game that we haven't seen anything from it yet. The name is not even finalized.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
That's Ratchet & Clank sir.

Every other game will take advantage of it with normal loading of course but R&C is the first title designed around the SSD.

Though Demon's Souls might surprise us with the new 'Fractured Mode' that they have yet to detail.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
What R+C did or DS is just the same as my PC when I have a really fast loading time with my SSD when I fast travel. Its cool but Im not impressed.

Some devs were hyping differences in level design, fast movement like the unreal demo or other more interesting things that I want to see.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Medium will probably be, as doesn't it basically have two worlds you can freely switch between, anyone who played Dishonored 2 will know how cool level switching on a button can be for level design and it was much smaller scale there.

Demon's Souls will show how convenient it is.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I think there is a good chance Ragnarok is cross-gen considering how fast it is coming out

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
When you see the loading time for Spider-man and Horizon 2 on PS4 compared to PS5 version, then maybe you'll know.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
That's really just a faster loading time in practice, and the original Demon's Souls makes that transition surprisingly fast. I'm looking forward to seeing if they do the same thing with the Archstone travel. Ratchet and Clank though, yes, pure next-gen.

Lol no. This video is not accurate of what happened in the actual trailer. They paused and cut it so that they loaded in at the same time. There was a comparison video posted earlier. It took 10+ seconds for Demon's Souls PS3 and we even got a lore/tooltip screen. It never even faded to black on the PS5.

mapoopam

Jan 8, 2018
if it doesn't end up being another cross-gen title, maybe. but if sony really expects it to be released next year (which I'm not so sure about), I'm willing to bet a ps4 version is also coming to light.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and Clank already did it.

I can't believe there was a loading tunnel in the Miles demo.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I want to have an inter-dimensional fight where Kratos is being thrown from one realm into another, seemlessly.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking so, given how ambitious they were with the one shot thing and having that loading area be something Kratos walks around in instead of a screen.

OP
OP
iswasdoes

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
...its the same thing though? Instead of purple portals you just have a bigger level. You won't "feel" a difference unless you can feel where a shuffle through a crack loading section was supposed to be.

Well this is my understanding of whats exciting about having a super fast ssd at base- open world/wide liniar game design totally changes when you dont have to factor those buffer moments in. In ways that I don't really understand yet till weve seen them in something like GoW. I understand whats happening in ratchet (in as much as ive seen the same trailer as everyone else) - dimension jumping mechanic that works because theres a fast load time...but it IS a fast load time here, not a transformed game world

Maybe expectations are inflated?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
No idea, we know nothing about Ragnarok.

Ratchet is the first game where the SSD is required for the game design to even work, but it doesn't mean games like Demon Soul won't be helped significantly by the SSD, not just load times but asset resolutions if they are streaming the assets. (I don't know if they are, it certainly looks great)

Later in the gen, UE5 is the engine to watch for...

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
My answer: who knows?

My question: is the game actually called subtitled "Ragnarok?" I hope not.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well this is my understanding of whats exciting about having a super fast ssd at base- open world/wide liniar game design totally changes when you dont have to factor those buffer moments in. In ways that I don't really understand yet till weve seen them in something like GoW. I understand whats happening in ratchet (in as much as ive seen the same trailer as everyone else) - dimension jumping mechanic that works because theres a fast load time...but it IS a fast load time here, not a transformed game world

R&C is loading a new worlds, not just loading a new part of the map and then unloading. Unless you mean something else.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

I mean... it IS a transformed game world? You're transitioning from one distinct world to another in gameplay seamlessly. That's more impressive than anything else you're suggesting

CelticKennedy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2019
I think R&C and Spiderman: MM will make great use of the SSD. Wasn't Spiderman the first game they were showing off behind closed doors demonstrating the new speeds? I think Insomniac is on top of it.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I think it'll be Ratchet no? Seems like the most impressive game from an SSD standpoint with its instant load times between rifts.

s y

Nov 8, 2017

I really have no idea what you mean lol

It sounds like god of war without all the ledge climbing that hides the loading/asset streaming which is far less impressive than what ratchet is doing.

The most impressive bit for the next god of war will be fast travel between realms....like ratchet lol

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
No idea, we know nothing about Ragnarok.

Ratchet is the first game where the SSD is required for the game design to even work, but it doesn't mean games like Demon Soul won't be helped significantly by the SSD, not just load times but asset resolutions if they are streaming the assets. (I don't know if they are, it certainly looks great)

Later in the gen, UE5 is the engine to watch for...
For Ratchet - Wouldn't the "Spider verse" loading screen just be longer on a HDD. And the midcombat warping is set points, so doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility, probably doesn't even pull from SSD, just RAM - since you are staying in the same local environment. Maybe some LOD pop.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
What R+C did or DS is just the same as my PC when I have a really fast loading time with my SSD when I fast travel. Its cool but Im not impressed.

No. The main mechanic of Rift Apart - teleporting between wildly different levels one after the other in very quick succession - could technically be done on a HDD, but in practice it would be completely insufferable because it would be a relentless onslaught of minute-long loading screens. It's a type of game that effectively can't be done without the devs being guaranteed an SSD.