• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
You mean the next generation of PS5 and Xbox Series X I assume (I just don't consider something this gen until systems are actually out). But no, there's no way. I think they may somehow manage to success until the end of 2021, but by 2022, they are toast.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
But... they're an essential business guys! That's why they forced their employees to keep working during the contingency. They did it for us!

/s in case that needs clarifying

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Who knows. I said no at the start of last gen and their still here, although they're of smaller influence

May 19, 2020
I think they will downsize their physical retail presence to a bunch of flagship stores and move the rest of the business online. They will limp on through this generation as discs are not going away.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Certainly not in the current form. But I can imagine they'll eventually end up online or something

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Only if they can drastically reduce the amount of stores they have and combine their game business with their ThinkGeek storefronts. ThinkGeek could become like a mini Toys R Us with a section devoted to games, but their used game business would probably suffer.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
They will definitely not come out of the PS5/XSX gen the same way they came in. In this age of colossal patches, games-as-a-service, incomplete games on retail discs, and smaller publishers highly favoring digital releases, physical media is quickly becoming even more obsolete. (That disc-less PS5 is going to really shock some folks here with how well it sells.)

Best-case scenario: GameStop makes a graceful, natural transition to an online-only retailer in the coming years, making the most of what they have and minimizing their losses. (I'd be shocked if such a plan wasn't already in motion to some degree.) Worst-case: they don't change with the times, and end up becoming the Blockbuster of the 2020s.

OP
OP
SRO7

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
I'm surprised it lasted through this gen.

What does that mean? ELI5 :)

Basically an investor take a short position when he's trying to profit off the share price going lower.

GameStop has a very high short interest, meaning the general sentiment in Wall St is that the share price is going to tank further and as such investors are trying to profit off that.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
I think it will definitely be gone after this generation especially with the push for digital only consoles.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
Thet are currently closing all stores in Scandinavia - which are really deep-pocketed countries. But might also be the first countries to go all online... but it doesn't look promising for GameStop.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. They were already hurting before coronavirus hit. Then they were desperate to keep their stores open and I doubt they were making much at that time. They've tanked a lot of their trade in prices since then too. Occasionally I would trade things in there if they had good promos but they have nothing to offer right now. Combine that with more people going digital, especially with PS5 offering that and yeah, they're probably gone in a few more years.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean considering there is a whole PS5 SKU that they have no incentive to sell....or accept for trade....I mean, writing is on the wall.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not seeing it. I'm predicting that digital sales will peak at 65% across the next gen platforms. It's a number from my ass but it's obvious that digital consumption will continue to rise. If Sony aggressively prices the discless version and ends up the bigger selling SKU that's a huge issue.

And really, there's just too many avenues for selling your used games now to deal with Gamestop's bullshit. I take no pleasure in the idea of thousands losing their jobs, but I just see no way that company survives with where things are trending.

Dec 13, 2017
The first thing that comes to mind when PS5/XOBOXONEOXSERX pre-orders go online is please don't do it at Gamestop.
Worst case scenario they take your money, it keeps them afloat for a bit, they go BK, and then you may have trouble getting your pre-order money back. This could be a lot of people depending on how many pre-orders they take and how many consoles can be delivered before they go belly up.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
GameStop are dying to be bought out. I think they'll make it - they hit some good numbers on the new console cycle, clean up their act just enough and find some private equity. They'll be around in some form.