• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Gamepass be on Playstation 5 sometime during this generation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
this sounds like something that would benefit MS mostly, it would be a terrible idea for Sony to ever allow this, and I seriously doubt that there'll be millions of PS owners clamoring for this to happen.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Microsoft is not doing publishers acquisitions to be partner with Playstation, they are playing to sufocate and eliminate Sony from this market on the long run.

Gamepass will never be available on ps5.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
It is far more likely that the loss of sales will force MS to port those games to PS as standalone titles than it is that they end up Game pass exclusive.
This is my outlook too, Sony wouldn't let GP on PS5 without requiring a large cut of subscriptions due to the loss of sales. I think people don't realize how much retail sales of Bethesda games will plummet if every release launches on GP. MS would be giving up so much money to not port them to PS5, they will most likely be timed exclusives on Xbox then launch on PS5 6mo-1yr later.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is my outlook too, Sony wouldn't let GP on PS5 without requiring a large cut of subscriptions due to the loss of sales. I think people don't realize how much retail sales of Bethesda games will plummet if every release launches on GP. MS would be giving up so much money to not port them to PS5, they will most likely be timed exclusives on Xbox then launch on PS5 6mo-1yr later.

Bingo

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I think i wrote what my point was - that Sony does not really want it, but the bigger point follows in the next sentence anyway aka that it's not comparable just like cross gen isn't comparable to allowing another competing ecosystem on your console.

My point is that saying "Sony does not really want it" is not enough to say "Sony will not allow it". The EA Play is a game subscription service and it is available on the Playstation, that should be enough to prove it's not crazy to say that they might allow another subscription from Microsoft.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No way. You think 343 and The Coalition are going to code versions of Halo and Gears for Playstation? At best X-Cloud streaming is allowed on the console but I doubt even that would happen.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

What you need to see is that this is exactly what Microsoft wants to happen. Instead of having people making a one time purchase for a game, they want to have millions paying a monthly fee. Again, if this happens is because several Playstation owners will put pressure on Sony for it to happen. Microsoft already said "We are open to it", now it is Sony's turn to anwer and let's see how it goes from there.

"This includes Microsoft's intent to bring Bethesda's future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox or PC, like Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios".

www.standard.co.uk

All Bethesda games will be added to Xbox Game Pass

Microsoft acquired Bethesda in a $7.5 billion deal

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
There are several things that would essentially need to happen before we reach that point:

- PlayStation's business model would need to show weakness exposed by Microsoft becoming the market leader via its Game Pass model.
- Sony's OWN efforts (and presumably vastly renewed efforts to compete with Game Pass) would need to fail as well.

So to answer your question- No, I don't think this generation will be nearly long enough for that to happen. Not saying it's impossible for it to happen one day, but in the next 7-8 years? No.

And yes, Microsoft obviously would want those users. But PlayStation would not want to do that for obvious reasons.

Microsoft's ecosystem is HEAVILY geared towards Game Pass, getting it on PS basically means those players become Xbox players.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The point is that just like they also didn't allow crossplay at first, they had to change their mind once the community started to put pressure on them. If I'm right, the same thing will happen during this generation. What was your opinion on crossplay between Playstation and Xbox happening, before it happened?

The comparison makes zero sense, do I really need to explain that to you?

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Thor the Dark World.

This was always a pipe dream. Until Sony drops PS Now or MS quits making consoles, it's not even a remote possibility.

Even then it would be like a .0000000001 % chance.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a big difference between letting people connect to people who made purchases on a competitors product, and having your competitor make money through your own product.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What you need to see is that this is exactly what Microsoft wants to happen. Instead of having people making a one time purchase for a game, they want to have millions paying a monthly fee. Again, if this happens is because several Playstation owners will put pressure on Sony for it to happen. Microsoft already said "We are open to it", now it is Sony's turn to anwer and let's see how it goes from there.

"This includes Microsoft's intent to bring Bethesda's future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox or PC, like Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios".

www.standard.co.uk

All Bethesda games will be added to Xbox Game Pass

Microsoft acquired Bethesda in a $7.5 billion deal
Like people said here again and again and again:
Unless the vast majority of PS users wants this, nothing will happen. So Microsoft would need games in the first place, that PS users really really want.

Then, if you would only allow 1st Party games, Microsoft will of course not let Bethesda put their games natively on PS. Why would they? But if Sony would still say no, Microsoft would rather let Bethesda put their games on PS to make enough money and therefore Sony would also make money. So there is no incentive for Sony to allow it.

And throwing a "We are open to it" it the oldest trick in the book. Nothing to back this statement up, you can just say it without any risk and you look like a babyface.

P.S.: Allowiong people to play with other on different platforms, because it helps overall sales and the engagement is different then letting your competition take away your 3rd party revenue

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
MS wouldn't be the one stopping such an arrangement. They are the ones with everything to gain from being on more platforms.

Eh, MS wants to control the GP ecosystem. I dont think they want added complications like adding a new console that isnt controlled by them. They already have a console in the GP sphere with Xbox. And if GP did come to PS it would probably have to be a gimped version since youre never getting Halo/Gears Etc on PS.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Eh, MS wants to control the GP ecosystem. I dont think they want added complications like adding a new console that isnt controlled by them. They already have a console in the GP sphere with Xbox. And if GP did come to PS it would probably have to be a gimped version since youre never getting Halo/Gears Etc on PS.
A browser isn't controlled by them. iOS and Android aren't controlled by them. Smart TVs aren't controlled by them.

MS wants users wherever they are. That's the whole point of Game Pass.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I don't see a point in this. Xbox just did the work to get 2 different consoles, get their games to come day and date on PC, and now are going after Xcloud for every potential screen. There are many affordable or high end ways to play Game Pass. Why create more work or hurt either companies bottom line.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you think this (I don't)... why would Sony allow Gamepass on their system instead of actually trying to do their own version of Gamepass (PS Now is not that). That certainly would make a lot more sense than literally cooking the lunch for Microsoft.
Ah I assumed we were talking about a PlayStation equivalent to game pass

ok, game pass itself on PlayStation? No
A PlayStation equivalent of it? certainly

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I could absolutely see Microsoft making a stripped down version of Gamepass for Steam that only includes first party games and maybe some third party stuff. Maybe something like that could come to Playstation though I would expect Valve to be fine with third party stuff and maybe Sony wouldn't be.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
My point is that saying "Sony does not really want it" is not enough to say "Sony will not allow it". The EA Play is a game subscription service and it is available on the Playstation, that should be enough to prove it's not crazy to say that they might allow another subscription from Microsoft.
I gave you the reason why EA Play isn't the same and if you agree that Sony doesn't want GP you should explain why they will do it regardless.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Thought the poll would be about Sony's own answer to Gamepass. I think the response is still the same, though.

EA Play is on Playstation, though. I feel like that's a Gamepass light kind of deal but EA is not in the hardware business so it's a little different.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I gave you the reason why EA Play isn't the same and if you agree that Sony doesn't want GP you should explain why they will do it regardless.

This is what you said "EA is one of the most important players with ways to pressure Sony", so your argument is that Microsoft is not? Again, look at how things evolved after Microsoft said they would allow crossplay. The pressure will came from Playstation owners that wanted crossplay and it will now come from Playstation owners that want to access the exclusive library of games on Gamepass. That is the pressure that will move Sony to make changes.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Like people said here again and again and again:
Unless the vast majority of PS users wants this, nothing will happen. So Microsoft would need games in the first place, that PS users really really want.

Then, if you would only allow 1st Party games, Microsoft will of course not let Bethesda put their games natively on PS. Why would they? But if Sony would still say no, Microsoft would rather let Bethesda put their games on PS to make enough money and therefore Sony would also make money. So there is no incentive for Sony to allow it.

And throwing a "We are open to it" it the oldest trick in the book. Nothing to back this statement up, you can just say it without any risk and you look like a babyface.

P.S.: Allowiong people to play with other on different platforms, because it helps overall sales and the engagement is different then letting your competition take away your 3rd party revenue

OK, so the way I should understand that is that Sony changed their mind on crossplay, because the vast majority of PS users wanted it? So they way I should think about this is that the vast majority of PS users are against having Gamepass on Playstation, in order to access Bethesda games along with every other first party game from Microsoft? On regards to Microsoft being forced to put Bethesda games on Playstation, good luck with that. The same argument could have been said when Microsoft bought Bungie. It doesn't matter if there was a history or not of a developer releasing games on Playstation. Now, this doesn't mean that I don't expect for some games from Bethesda to release on Playstation, games as a service like Fallout 76 will continue to be on Playstation, along with any future Iteration. The master chief collection could release on Playstation tomorrow and it would sell a couple of million units guaranteed. That same group of people would be open to pay for GP if that was the only option to play it. I imagine you also said it was BS from Phil when he said that he would allow crossplay with the Playstation?

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Game Pass is one of the biggest selling points for Xbox, so it's tough to imagine GP coming to PS5. It's not the same situation as cross-play, which at least is mutually beneficial, though moreso for the platform with the smaller player base. It's not the same as Minecraft, which is so freaking huge they ported it to 3DS, Vita, and even Wii U. It's not the same as EA Access, since MS wants people to buy Xbox Series consoles, and EA doesn't have such an equivalent.

Still, I have a teeny tiny amount of hope for GP on Switch. I think the argument for MS would be that GP could entice Switch owners to later buy an Xbox console. Only a portion of the GP library is available on Switch, so you'd have to buy an XS for the full experience. I'm not sure what the argument for Nintendo would be, unless MS gives them a cut of the money or works out some deal to bring more titles to Switch.

Jul 26, 2018
The only chance is surely Game Pass cloud streaming through the browser.

Game Pass for Console? Zero chance.

I'm sure Sony could find a way around this if they wanted to. Like, if xcloud is perfectly playable from a browser, they could block connections or more stealthily make the ps5 browser miss a feature that would make xcloud inviable on their console.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
No, but I foresee that gamepass will be next to a lot of PS5s in the form of a cheap, black friday sale, Xbox Series S

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't benefit Microsoft to put Game Pass on PlayStation because it would only encourage people to buy that console instead of an Xbox, which is counterintuitive. Microsoft obviously only wants Game Pass on devices that won't directly eat into the sales of their own products.

Game Pass showing up on the Switch in a limited fashion, such as only allowing it to play Cloud-based games, might make sense since Nintendo consoles aren't directly competing with Microsoft but even that's really unlikely for a number of reasons.

At the same time, it wouldn't benefit Sony to allow Game Pass on PlayStation because nobody would buy any of the third party games that the two platforms share and it would diminish the perceived value of PS+ as well (why subscribe to a service that gives you two games a month when you could subscribe to one that gives you hundreds?).

I don't really think either would really go for it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yes, people do explain it to me. Why does it make zero sense to say that now that Microsoft said they are open to allowing GP on Playstation, Sony will not be getting any pressure from Playstation owners?

The only "pressure" worth a damn is economic. You expect Playstation owners to stop buying games and cancel their PS plus memberships over this?

It will never, ever happen.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is not doing publishers acquisitions to be partner with Playstation, they are playing to sufocate and eliminate Sony from this market on the long run.

Gamepass will never be available on ps5.

The way you max out revenue from a subscriber service is maxing out your customers who subscribe to it.

Microsoft would absolutely put Game Pass on PS5 (and Switch) if they could.

You can apply some comedy pantomime villain malicious intent to them if you enjoy the drama but the reality is their entire business has shifted to a service model (front and centre) which simply requires more subs. It doesn't matter where those subs come from. From consoles, from PC, from mobile users etc. And, yeah, from PlayStation users. It'd be ginormous for Game Pass.

It won't happen because Sony wouldn't do it, not because Microsoft wouldn't be willing because they want to 'suffocate and eliminate PlayStation'.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It will never happen.

So, Halo Infinite is finally released, and you can play it for a $10 subscription fee, on day one of release, on your ... PlayStation 5?

Think it through, please. Despite what some posters here claim, Microsoft actually does want to sell Xbox hardware.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
No. Though I also think the only version of gamepass that would ever come to rival consoles is a streaming app for xcloud - ms will never spend the money to make ports to rivals.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Sony could find a way around this if they wanted to. Like, if xcloud is perfectly playable from a browser, they could block connections or more stealthily make the ps5 browser miss a feature that would make xcloud inviable on their console.

I'm sure they'd try but, to be fair, Apple doesn't want xCloud (or Stadia) on iOS and the way they got around it was making it work via browsers. Apple can't do shit to stop it.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think people don't realize how much retail sales of Bethesda games will plummet if every release launches on GP. MS would be giving up so much money to not port them to PS5, they will most likely be timed exclusives on Xbox then launch on PS5 6mo-1yr later.
Microsoft does not want to sell you games, they want to sell you game pass. They don't care in the slightest about retail/digital sales as long as their exclusives push new game pass subscriptions.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Yes, people do explain it to me. Why does it make zero sense to say that now that Microsoft said they are open to allowing GP on Playstation, Sony will not be getting any pressure from Playstation owners?
I think you're putting too much stock in the "could be open to discussions" line. It doesn't mean anything. I doubt MS has even discussed it with Sony.

I mean the first part of the line was "I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us" so Phil Spencer doesn't seem keen on the idea.