• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Gamepass be on Playstation 5 sometime during this generation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
People seem to think MS would want this but would they really? It makes sense if they want to exit the platform holder business but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sure they want subscriptions but I'd assume their ideal situation is having subscribers on Xbox consoles so they get a 30% cut of every 3rd party game, Fortnite buck and CoD skin those people may buy
Yeah, MS is with this whole ''We want you to play where you want!''(And it's true) but this doesn't mean they want to be seen as a simple third party publisher, XBOX as a brand still needs to be its own thing and putting several/most of their games on a competitor platform is the opposite of that.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I don't see how it makes sense for either party, honestly. I can't see Sony wanting another platform holder's subscription on their platform; for one, the games in Game Pass that aren't Xbox exclusive will already be on Playstation and generating licensing fees for Sony. So they wouldn't really be interested in having those games come to their platform via GP instead (even if they were getting 30% of GP subs on PS).

On the MS side... if the average consumer had a choice between getting an Xbox that offers most 3P stuff plus all MS 1P stuff, or a Playstation that offers most 3P stuff, all PS 1P stuff *and* all MS 1P stuff... who would buy an Xbox? Only the most diehard Xbox fans would stick with the platform, their hardware market share would plummet, and they'd lose a ton of the 3P licensing income from millions of Xbox console owners making the switch, as well as accessory sales and a big chunk of all the subscription stuff - not just GP, but XBL Gold, too.

I just don't see how it makes sense for anyone, really.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Of course. He will say he is open to everything. Everything is on the table.

Look at the reality of what he means here. Gamepass on PS5 would destroy Sony's business. Of course he is open to it! Who doesn't want to destroy their competitors business? And you get to sound like a good guy while doing it!

OK, but he didn't go back on what he said on Crossplay, once Sony said they would allow it, that's the point. If he was honest about that, the same thing applies to allowing crossplay on Playstation. In the end I expect this to happen because of the amount of pressure Sony will receive from Playstation owners, once they realize Sony is the one that is blocking the service. Once Microsoft announces that most of their games will be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem, that should move a lot of Playstation owners to ask Sony why they don't allow Gamepass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
OK, but he didn't go back on what he said on Crossplay, once Sony said they would allow it, that's the point. If he was honest about that, the same thing applies to allowing crossplay on Playstation. In the end I expect this to happen because of the amount of pressure Sony will receive from Playstation owners, once they realize Sony is the one that is blocking the service. Once Microsoft announces that most of their games will be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem, that should move a lot of Playstation owners to ask Sony why they don't allow Gamepass.

And all Sony has to say is "because it would destroy our business". They benefit massively less from Game Pass than Microsoft would, and Microsoft knows that. It's simply a bad deal for them to be part of.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, the idea here is not for Microsoft to put Gamepass on Playstation for free. It has to be a revenue stream for Sony too. Microsoft has made it clear that their focus this generation is having players on their ecosystem, not selling consoles. By them saying that they are open to putting Gamepass on Playstation, they are putting pressure on Sony to say something about it. Once Playstation owners realize that the only thing stopping Gamepass from being on their console is Sony, then there will be a lot of feedback from them to Sony.

"As the Xbox Series X and Series S are released, Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer says the next games generation is all about how many players you have, not how many consoles you shift"

www.theguardian.com

Xbox's Phil Spencer: 'We're not driven by how many consoles we sell'

As the Xbox Series X and Series S are released, Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer says the next games generation is all about how many players you have, not how many consoles you shift
Sony is a hardware company so the amount of hardware they shift will be way more important to them than it would have for MS.
End of the day I see GP pushing PS5's or at least prevents its market share from shrinking, because now you won't need two consoles which is ideal for Sony. Also Jim Ryan can give 2 shits about how the fan base feels, he is not staying awake at night worried about what cacafacegmr1998 thinks about what he brings to PS or not.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No but Sony will have their own game pass by the end of the generation. Whatever they have now will get relaunched.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that is more likely to happen the generation after this one. Good decade away I think. Gonna take awhile.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
People seem to think MS would want this but would they really? It makes sense if they want to exit the platform holder business but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sure they want subscriptions but I'd assume their ideal situation is having subscribers on Xbox consoles so they get a 30% cut of every 3rd party game, Fortnite buck and CoD skin those people may buy. Plus they'd have to give up some percentage of their subscription money to Sony to get Game Pass on PS.

They can have both. They can make money by selling a console that offers a good value and by also allowing other consoles to access their games.

Phil Spencer: " I love the Switch, I love PlayStation, honestly, I think they've done an amazing job as being a part of this industry. I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us, but we could be open to those discussions."

Phil Spencer: 'We're not driven by how many consoles we sell'

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yes, no, maybe.

Seeing that EA Play is already on Playstation, I don't think Sony are strictly against having additional subscriptions on it. Even if that is from Xbox. They are just another partner anyways. Just maybe they need to find a common ground that both are comfortable with.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If MS pulls out of the Xbox hardware business I'd say we're headed towards an ultra slim chance it could actually show up on there. There's really no incentive tbh. If Sony want GP the logical solution is make their own so they can reap the profits instead of their competitor.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
No one is saying that Sony will allow Gamepass on Playstation for free. I expect to first see a lot of pressure from Playstation owners to Sony, for them to allow gamepass and then Sony reaching a comercial agreement with Microsoft.
Lmao. You expect that? Really? Bruh you are not gonna see anything but a very small vocal minority of PS owners asking for gamepass on their consoles, if even that. It doesn't really offer much over PS Now and PS+ aside from MS first party.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Sony is a hardware company so the amount of hardware they shift will be way more important to them than it would have for MS.
End of the day I see GP pushing PS5's or at least prevents its market share from shrinking, because now you won't need two consoles which is ideal for Sony. Also Jim Ryan can give 2 shits about how the fan base feels, he is not staying awake at night worried about what cacafacegmr1998 thinks about what he brings to PS or not.

The thing with that is that Microsoft is OK with that. Their main focus is selling Gamepass subscriptions. Just like they are OK with you not buying an Xbox and accessing Gamepass through your PC or smartphone, they are OK with allowing Gamepass on other consoles. At that point the Playstation is just another PC where they can make money from. Did Sony gave 2 shits when their gamers said they wanted them to allow crossplay?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, MS is with this whole ''We want you to play where you want!''(And it's true) but this doesn't mean they want to be seen as a simple third party publisher, XBOX as a brand still needs to be its own thing and putting several/most of their games on a competitor platform is the opposite of that.

Microsoft has referred to itself as a 'big publisher' on Sony/Nintendo platforms, already.

The new strategy is a recognition that it's simply unlikely Xbox hardware will ever upend marketshares to the get the kind of reach they want on its own.

You can say that this is what xcloud and phones are for, but converting and onboarding new consumers in the generic and streaming spaces is a relative mountain to climb vs, theoretically, the conversion rate that could be achieved on other gaming platforms with an already primed audience. If MS could easily get Gamepass onto PS/Nintendo today, they'd pounce on the opportunity.

Microsoft is maneuvering to become a mega-publisher - IMO one outcome of that that's being eyed is getting themselves into a situation where they can negotiate for favourable access to other platforms for their sub. As EA did with Access etc. Of course the counter is the disintermediation of other platform holders for non-MS content, and what scale that operates at. That's the tricky bit, but it's not unfathomable that terms could be reached.

But it depends a lot on how things shake out. But I don't think the idea of subs becoming more platform agnostic is something anyone is ruling out, mid to longer term. Within this gen? Not sure. However, if and as the publishing space consolidates, this is something every platform holder that's dealt with and leveraged a more fractured third party space will have to address, not just a MS specific thing. Super-publishers - a small number of pubs covering a lot of IP - will hold a lot of power vs before, and may well want their own little direct-to-consumer footprint on platforms.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Two different scenarios where being "open to everything" wins.

Crossplay: Sony either caves and Phil looks like the good guy, or Sony doesn't cave and Phil looks like the good guy. It's only work for third party developers if Sony allows it, so what does Phil care? He wins no matter what. End result: Sony caved, it cost him nothing.

Gamepass on PS5: Never going to happen, and Phil knows it, but he gets to sound like the good guy. It costs him nothing but a few words out of his mouth.

He's good at PR. It is known.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They can have both. They can make money by selling a console that offers a good value and by also allowing other consoles to access their games.

Phil Spencer: " I love the Switch, I love PlayStation, honestly, I think they've done an amazing job as being a part of this industry. I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us, but we could be open to those discussions."

Phil Spencer: 'We're not driven by how many consoles we sell'

Phil Spencer will say whatever he needs to in order to get positive PR for Microsoft and make himself look like the good guy. If he can make his competition look worse in the process he'll do that too. Being "open to discussions" or saying "the ball's in [Sony/Nintendo]'s court" sounds nice because it's a statement you never actually have to back up with evidence and it makes your competitor look like the bad guy for not entertaining it, even if you have no intention of following through on your end.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Lmao. You expect that? Really? Bruh you are not gonna see anything but a very small vocal minority of PS owners asking for gamepass on their consoles, if even that. It doesn't really offer much over PS Now and PS+ aside from MS first party.

I guess you were one of the people that said Sony would never allow crossplay, because Playstation owners didn't care to play with Xbox owners?

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I think Sony will probably turn PlayStation Plus into something like a lite Gamepass version. Something like Plus collection but with rotational bundles.
Don't think we will see Gamepass on Sony consoles but I would dig it.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
That would be like saying, "Why does Sony allow 3rd party games on the Playstation, that compete with their own games?". Microsoft would be just like any other 3rd party developer on the Playstation.

Erm, no, this would, basically, be allowing a 3rd party store on PlayStation. Good luck with that.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
why would anyone be bothered by a browser based gamepass working on these consoles? not even microsoft would mind since they would still get all the subscriptions/money anyway
Because I have heard some say it shouldnt go on rival platforms at all, which is silly considering IOS and Android, it is a remnant of the old platform locking down way of thinking.

I should have said "some" of my xbox friends because yeah, that outdated way of thinking isnt everyone.

I made a thread on this last year I think and there were some saying they wouldnt like to see it on rival consoles if I remember correctly.🤷‍♂️

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The only way this will happen is if legislation forces Sony to open up their store to competing services.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Phil Spencer will say whatever he needs to in order to get positive PR for Microsoft and make himself look like the good guy. If he can make his competition look worse in the process he'll do that too. Being "open to discussions" or saying "the ball's in [Sony/Nintendo]'s court" sounds nice because it's a statement you never actually have to back up with evidence and it makes your competitor look like the bad guy for not entertaining it, even if you have no intention of following through on your end.

What matters in the end is if it's true or not. Just like he didn't go back on what he said on regards to crossplay, once Sony gave in, I don't expect for him to do it if Sony says they will allow GP on their console. The thing is that this won't happen because Phil said anything, this will happen because gamers will realize they can have GP on Playstation, but Sony is the one that is not allowing it. We should see at some point in the future Sony addressing directly Phil comments on being open to GP on Playstation. Some reporter will ask the question at some point.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with that is that Microsoft is OK with that. Their main focus is selling Gamepass subscriptions. Just like they are OK with you not buying an Xbox and accessing Gamepass through your PC or smartphone, they are OK with allowing Gamepass on other consoles. At that point the Playstation is just another PC where they can make money from. Did Sony gave 2 shits when their gamers said they wanted them to allow crossplay?

ofc they did cause cross play help their business they just had fools in marketing at Sony at the time. My point is if it's makes them money no forum user is going to prevent GP on PS.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Yes.

Modified GP with ms first party stuff and no third party.
Ms ll get millions of new subs and Sony ll get millions $ for their share. I mean whats s there to lose for both? It benefits both. They have tens of million loyal fans who ll buy their console no matter what.

Both wants to grow with revenue and they wont get there with old models. Theres cap for console market. Also sony ll start putting its exclusives on pc after some period of exclusivity. More money for everyone.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What matters in the end is if it's true or not. Just like he didn't go back on what he said on regards to crossplay, once Sony gave in, I don't expect for him to do it if Sony says they will allow GP on their console. The thing is that this won't happen because Phil said anything, this will happen because gamers will realize they can have GP on Playstation, but Sony is the one that is not allowing it. We should see at some point in the future Sony addressing directly Phil comments on being open to GP on Playstation. Some reporter will ask the question at some point.

Nobody is going to care as much as you think they will. And it isn't going to be hard for Sony to explain why it doesn't make sense for their business to let Microsoft give third party games away on their console and reap all the benefits from that at Sony's expense.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Will PS Now end up on Xbox?

The only thing I could see happening is a version of Gamepass that only has Xbox first party games.

Oct 25, 2017
Only way I see it is if the service on PS5 only has Xbox Game Studios Games and those same games are also available for individual purchase on PSN.

Then Xbox is just like any third party publisher and they have a service like EA Access on Playstation.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you were one of the people that said Sony would never allow crossplay, because Playstation owners didn't care to play with Xbox owners?
The difference between crossplay and allowing a competitor to sell a subscription including 3rd party games that you are already trying to sell a la carte and take a 30% cut... well, I hope you can see it. It is not the same calculus to put it extremely mildly.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
No. Sony would never sign a deal that lets Microsoft give third party games away on their platform. It's an asinine idea, and the only way it would ever work is if MS cut down Game Pass' offerings to just include their own games, which Microsoft would also never do.
I am starting to see why, MS only gamepass is a hard sell because for one for it to get any traction you would need to massport MS backcatalogue and the only draw to get and retain new users would be MS new releases, which, for as much as they are scaling up, will be impossible to output multiple games per month.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
No, I never said Sony wouldn't cave on crossplay. I also don't see what that has to do with gamepass. Two different things. Your problem is blindly believing everything that Phil Spencer says.

OK and what was your reasoning for saying that Sony would allow crossplay? I very much the reasoning behind some people saying it would never happen, and it was something like "Sony will never allow crossplay, it doesn't make any sense for them to share their player base with Nintendo and Xbox." What happened after that? I don't need to blindly believe anything, did Phil Spencer changed his mind on crossplay once Sony allowed it?

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Sony would never allow it.

MS is hard at work on XCloud for web browsers so maybe you'll still be able to access Gamepass that way when it rolls out. Not sure if the Playstation browser will be good enough for it thou.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
The difference between crossplay and allowing a competitor to sell a subscription including 3rd party games that you are already trying to sell a la carte and take a 30% cut... well, I hope you can see it. It is not the same calculus to put it extremely mildly.

It doesn't have to be a 30% cut, there are all kinds of agreements they could make where both could make money. GP could even be something that only has Microsoft first party games on Playstation and gamers would subscribe by the millions. By Sony allowing GP it would for sure increase the PS sales and Sony does seem to care much more about selling consoles than Microsoft is. Microsoft has repeatedly said that selling consoles is not their priority, they know they can make a lot more money with millions of subscribers to GP.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people know what they mean when they ask this question? What do people think Game Pass is?

Are we talking about Game Pass on xCloud or native PS games locked behind Game Pass?

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Alucardx23 Would this commercial agreement you speak of include third party gamepass content or only MS games?

It is a deal breaker anyway for native games.

Or do you possibly mean xcloud only on playstation?

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I doubt it, but I guess nothing's impossible now that sony is more open to putting their games on PC.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yes, no, maybe.

Seeing that EA Play is already on Playstation, I don't think Sony are strictly against having additional subscriptions on it. Even if that is from Xbox. They are just another partner anyways. Just maybe they need to find a common ground that both are comfortable with.

I think Sony would be open to it if Microsoft got out of the hardware business. Short of that, it's a very different situation from EA.

That should be Jim Ryan's response if asked about this. "We'd love to work with Microsoft as one of our third party vendors instead of as a competitor."

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Nobody is going to care as much as you think they will. And it isn't going to be hard for Sony to explain why it doesn't make sense for their business to let Microsoft give third party games away on their console and reap all the benefits from that at Sony's expense.

This is basically the same reasoning behind why Sony would never allow Crossplay. "Nobody cares about crossplay", "All my friends have a Playstation", "They could give me the option and I would say no to crossplay.", "Why should Sony share their player base with Microsoft?"

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, if things got to that point Sony might as well make their own Game Pass.

Either that or Microsoft just go third party.