• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Gamepass be on Playstation 5 sometime during this generation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Let's start with this quote from Phil Spencer on regards to Gamepass on other consoles.

" I love the Switch, I love PlayStation, honestly, I think they've done an amazing job as being a part of this industry. I'm not sure that those are the next big set of users for us, but we could be open to those discussions."

This was a big thing in my opinion, because Phil basically said that he's open to putting the first party library of Xbox games on the Playstation. I see this as something similar to what he did with crossplay before it was allowed by Sony.

"I have a real struggle making comments about their motivation or timelines. I know there is a certain view that says if my friends have this console, they can't play with people who buy another console. That's a reason they go buy my console. That reason is not going to go away. So we're putting Minecraft out there as one of the biggest games on any platform and allowing people to play together regardless of what device they bought. "

We all remember the "For the children" reason Sony gave to not allow crossplay.

"In an interview with Eurogamer, Jim Ryan, head of global sales and marketing for PlayStation, attempted to defend Sony's block of cross-platform play. "We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe," says Ryan. "Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully."

So this is what I expect to happen during this generation. I'm surprised no reporters (That I have seen) have asked Sony about what Microsoft said, about being open to putting Gamepass on Playstation. Once Sony answers with a reason that very likely won't be satisfactory, that should put the ball rolling. Just like it did with their answer to why they don't allow crossplay. The gaming community in general will start to put a lot of pressure (again, just like crossplay) and eventually Sony will allow Gamepass on Playstation during this generation. I didn't focus on Nintendo because I just think it is much more likely for us to see Gamepass on their consoles.

Sources:
screenrant.com

Game Pass On PlayStation, Switch Is Something That Xbox Is 'Open To'

Game Pass could come to PS5 and Switch after all.
gamerant.com

Microsoft: Phil Spencer Suggests Cross-Play with PS4 is Practically a 'Lost Cause'

Speaking at the Brazil Games Show, Xbox head Phil Spencer confirms that Microsoft continues to speak with Sony over cross-play, but no progress has been made.

So this just happened edit (4-2-21):

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The only chance is surely Game Pass cloud streaming through the browser.

Game Pass for Console? Zero chance.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has a much stronger relationship with Nintendo before you even jump to PS5

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
both gamepass and ps plus collection will be on the switch once nintendo buys both sony and microsoft

and then all of them and mario on stadia when google buy everyone.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
No. It really makes no sense for either company. Sony would lose a ton of 3rd party revenue and MS would gain subscriptions but would lose Xbox customers which would also lead to a loss of 3rd party revenue.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It makes no sense because third-parties are on it, so the best you could imagine is a Gamepass-lite with only XGS titles.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Why would Sony let a service that would cannibalize sales/revenue from their own storefront.
At best and even so this is a crazy, wild, insane situation is a Gamepass lite with only First Party titles from MS

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Gamepass as in putting their first-party games on PlayStation or including other third-party games? If it's the latter, I don't think Sony would ever allow it. They'd rather create their own Gamepass competitor.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony releases a browser that supports xcloud. No chance otherwise.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I don´t think Sony will allow it.

The point is that just like they also didn't allow crossplay at first, they had to change their mind once the community started to put pressure on them. If I'm right, the same thing will happen during this generation. What was your opinion on crossplay between Playstation and Xbox happening, before it happened?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Absolutely 100% gonna happen at some point during this gen. There's only so long Sony can resist that Game Pass money before they come to their senses and let that revenue just flow in. It's a win win situation for both companies.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
a complete Gamepass is not possible, a Lite version, without third parties, maybe is

Another question would be: will PS titles come to PC Gamepass? I would not be that surprised if they will

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I don't see a chance that gamepass will be on Playstation.

In my opinion there is a bigger chance that every Bethesda and Microsoft Studios game will have a day one release on Playstation.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It would kill a bunch of sales for PlayStation and would probably end up killing Xbox as a console brand.
Honestly it'd be pretty cool it's just not happening.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I voted yes under the assumption it works on a browser like stadia does.

That is if sony ever allows a browser on ps5 and one that wouldn't block access to MS website.

I know my xbox friends here won't like to hear me say this but gamepass on playstation and switch would be cool even if at least in a browser format because Sony and Nintendo would never allow it "officially" and mass porting all of MS back catalogue to those platforms natively would be impossible to begin with anyway so I understand how I paired down, new MS games only version of it is not happening.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Zero chance but not because Microsoft wouldn't like it.
It's because it has no sense for Sony and Nintendo. Their platforms would be used as hardware gates to allow Microsoft's services to gain users and make money.
The money part can be arranged with a deal on the profit split but the damage to the success of their own services and software sales is simply not negotiable.
For Sony it's far more likely they create their own Gamepass by rebranding Playstation Now and adding their own first party games with some limitations and Jim Ryan already hinted they're hiding news on this.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Why would Sony let a service that would cannibalize sales/revenue from their own storefront.
At best and even so this is a crazy, wild, insane situation is a Gamepass lite with only First Party titles from MS

That would be like saying, "Why does Sony allow 3rd party games on the Playstation, that compete with their own games?". Microsoft would be just like any other 3rd party developer on the Playstation.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This is just Phil doing his PR shtick where he pretends he is open to everything. The reality is Gamepass will be on PlayStation when hell freezes over, and he knows it.

He might as well say he is open to sending Gamepass back in time or to another dimension.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I know my xbox friends here won't like to hear me say this but gamepass on playstation and switch would be cool even if at least in a browser format because Sony and Nintendo would never allow it "officially" and mass porting all of MS back catalogue to those platforms natively would be impossible to begin with anyway so I understand how I paired down, new MS games only version of it is not happening.

why would anyone be bothered by a browser based gamepass working on these consoles? not even microsoft would mind since they would still get all the subscriptions/money anyway

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This is just Phil doing his PR shtick where he pretends he is open to everything. The reality is Gamepass will be on PlayStation when hell freezes over, and he knows it.

He might as well say he is open to sending Gamepass back in time or to another dimension.

When Phil said that he would want Crossplay, was that a "PR shtick" too?

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to money all the fanboy shit goes out the window, cause dudes trying to make money.
I feel gamepass (1st party) titles will most likely come to PS if Sony and MS can agree on pricing, it's a win win.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I remember how for an obnoxious amount of time people were 100% convinced by the nonsense that Game Pass was coming to Switch. It never made any sense whatsoever for Nintendo. Its the same thing here for Sony.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The only chance is surely Game Pass cloud streaming through the browser.

Game Pass for Console? Zero chance.

PS5 doesn't even have a dedicated browser app. You can use a kind of browser through a workaround but even that is almost unusable as it isn't meant to freely surf the internet.

Not sure if one will be added in the future. Wouldn't guess so.

Sep 7, 2020
I think its a near infinitesimal chance of it ever happening. I think the Sony and MS business models are drastically different (although Sony does seem to understand that there is a PC market in which they can expand their franchises onto). I think MS would love if this happened but Sony... not so much. However, it would be PS console consumer friendly for those interested in Bethesda and whatever other xbox/PC exclusives that there may eventually be so I don't know why if you are a PS console only consumer that you wouldn't want this to happen especially if it doesn't directly impact the quality of PS developed games/ventures.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Sony wouldn't take Gamepass. That would literally eat into their profits from their store and MS isn't going to give Sony a ridiculous cut to put it on a PS5. If anything, Sony will alter PSNow to be more in line with GP.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
That would be like saying, "Why does Sony allow 3rd party games on the Playstation, that compete with their own games?". Microsoft would be just like any other 3rd party developer on the Playstation.
The problem isn't competing with first party games, the thing is that Sony gets a cut from EVERY 3rd party sale on PS Store, with Gamepass some games could have a reduction in sales and if the game is on gamepass part of the cut needs to go to Microsoft, how Sony wins in this situation? Hell, even Microsoft can get fucked somehow in this situation.

Mar 31, 2018
The only platform where I see an opportunity for XCloud and GamePass is the Nintendo Switch. It was hinted at by insiders for two years or so, but I don't know what happened to it.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
When it comes to money all the fanboy shit goes out the window, cause dudes trying to make money.
I feel gamepass (1st party) titles will most likely come to PS if Sony and MS can agree on pricing, it's a win win.

For sure, the idea here is not for Microsoft to put Gamepass on Playstation for free. It has to be a revenue stream for Sony too. Microsoft has made it clear that their focus this generation is having players on their ecosystem, not selling consoles. By them saying that they are open to putting Gamepass on Playstation, they are putting pressure on Sony to say something about it. Once Playstation owners realize that the only thing stopping Gamepass from being on their console is Sony, then there will be a lot of feedback from them to Sony.

"As the Xbox Series X and Series S are released, Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer says the next games generation is all about how many players you have, not how many consoles you shift"

www.theguardian.com

Xbox's Phil Spencer: 'We're not driven by how many consoles we sell'

As the Xbox Series X and Series S are released, Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer says the next games generation is all about how many players you have, not how many consoles you shift

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
When Phil said that he would want Crossplay, was that a "PR shtick" too?

Of course. He will say he is open to everything. Everything is on the table.

Look at the reality of what he means here. Gamepass on PS5 would destroy Sony's business. Of course he is open to it! Who doesn't want to destroy their competitors business? And you get to sound like a good guy while doing it!

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
People seem to think MS would want this but would they really? It makes sense if they want to exit the platform holder business but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sure they want subscriptions but I'd assume their ideal situation is having subscribers on Xbox consoles so they get a 30% cut of every 3rd party game, Fortnite buck and CoD skin those people may buy. Plus they'd have to give up some percentage of their subscription money to Sony to get Game Pass on PS.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
The problem isn't competing with first party games, the thing is that Sony gets a cut from EVERY 3rd party sale on PS Store, with Gamepass some games could have a reduction in sales and if the game is on gamepass part of the cut needs to go to Microsoft, how Sony wins in this situation? Hell, even Microsoft can get fucked somehow in this situation.

No one is saying that Sony will allow Gamepass on Playstation for free. I expect to first see a lot of pressure from Playstation owners to Sony, for them to allow gamepass and then Sony reaching a comercial agreement with Microsoft.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. Sony would never sign a deal that lets Microsoft give third party games away on their platform. It's an asinine idea, and the only way it would ever work is if MS cut down Game Pass' offerings to just include their own games, which Microsoft would also never do.