• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen a thread backfire so hilariously before. I mean, you have seen how popular games like Fifa, Star Wars, and Madden are, right? All AAA games and all incredibly successful, even if one of them falls a bit short of expectations

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about an ERA bubble jesus christ

EcN7Snu.png

9fh519M.png

3flf4sV.png

LqfU9WT.png
LMFAO "commercially bombed"

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, all you guys did not read the OP.

I could definitely see EA prioritise it's successful annual/service franchises in the next gen ahead of standalone AAA titles like Dragon Quest, OP.

Edit:Dragon Age smartasses

The name of the thread is "Will EA Leave the AAA" and they makes statements like " cant imagine this star wars deal has been very profitable for them outside of battlefront 1." Battlefront sold 23 million copies between two games (14 million for 1; 9 million for 2). As for the other titles, they calls them "Bombs". Titanfall 2 is estimated to have sold 4 million. No it's not the 9 to 10 million they wanted, but it probably didn't lose them money (personally, 10 million from a 5.5 hour campaign fps not called Call of Duty was a dumb expectation). For the other titles, we have no idea what they sold, only EA knows.

It was a poorly thought out thread.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, you need to reach outside the Internet bubble. EA games are extremely popular with the masses.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of question is that? lol EA is only behind Activision Blizzard as a third party publisher in video game, why they ever would get out?

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, they won't. Not for the foreseeable future, anyway. Their console software makes up most of their revenue.

If you modified your Q a bit and asked if they were leaving the single-player AAA business, which is a very reasonable/ understandable question, then I would say the answer is that they already have. Anthem is hardly a single-player game at all. They canceled their major AAA Star Wars game that was entirely single-player. The Respawn Star Wars Jedi game is not likely to have a major focus on single-player, given it's gotten such an expedited development cycle.

Does EA have any single-player games in development that we know about?

One? Maybe the other new open-world Star Wars game for 2020? Maybe?

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
The name of the thread is "Will EA Leave the AAA" and they makes statements like " cant imagine this star wars deal has been very profitable for them outside of battlefront 1." Battlefront sold 23 million copies between two games (14 million for 1; 9 million for 2). As for the other titles, they calls them "Bombs". Titanfall 2 is estimated to have sold 4 million. No it's not the 9 to 10 million they wanted, but it probably didn't lose them money (personally, 10 million from a 5.5 hour campaign fps not called Call of Duty was a dumb expectation). For the other titles, we have no idea what they sold, only EA knows.

It was a poorly thought out thread.
The bottom line those titles you mentioned, as successful as they are, are much more expensive, a lot riskier and less profitable than FIFA and Madden.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bottom line those titles you mentioned, as successful as they are, are much more expensive, a lot riskier and less profitable than FIFA and Madden.

As mentioned in this thread: Do we have any info on the fact that Fifa and Madden cost significantly less so as to not be considered AAA?

Battlefront 1/2 sold 23 million and that doesn't count any DLC, Microtransaction, Loot Boxes, or anything else. They easily made over a billion on the deal. Does it make as much as FIFA or Madden? Probably not, but no company is going to just let go of a billion dollar deal just because they have better selling products. Ubisoft isn't going to drop Far Cry just because Assassin's Creed does so much better.

As per other titles: We don't know what they sold or what their expectations were outside of Titanfall 2.

Bottom line: Companies are expected to grow. Shareholders aren't going to go for dropping a billion dollar Star Wars deal as well as every other franchise outside of Sports titles. Mirror's Edge is probably dead, sure. But that doesn't mean just packing up and going home. Dragon Age Inquisition by all accounts did very well and is getting a sequel. Anthem is a massive AAA game that, if successful, will be a massive boon for EA. On Mass Effect Andromeda, the CEO said "if you look at Mass Effect [Andromeda], while there was some polarizing sentiment in that franchise, it's actually performed really well, and player engagement is really strong." Titanfall 2, while short of expectations, was by no means a "commercial bomb" as OP said. Hitting a rough patch doesn't mean jettisoning 60% of your business.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
No!

They don't have any business ventures outside of gaming like Konami, all that will happen is over time their catalogue of games will diminish as they chase the gaas gold rush like Activision.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
No!

They don't have any business ventures outside of gaming like Konami, all that will happen is over time their catalogue of games will diminish as they chase the gaas gold rush like Activision.
They have 1 new IP coming out next month, and another being made by EA Motive, I wouldn't say they have the same problems as Activision in that department?

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen a thread backfire so hilariously before. I mean, you have seen how popular games like Fifa, Star Wars, and Madden are, right? All AAA games and all incredibly successful, even if one of them falls a bit short of expectations

Too many people want them to fail; it clouds their rationality.

I could live without EA, as there are enough good games out there these days and the past to always fall back on...but they're like junk food.

I crave and enjoy them from time to time and I'd say most of their games are good, but not great. And there will always be a market for them.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft games consistently sell the most every year and get little traction here. The bubble is very real.

Yeah, it really is. Wildlands made me realize that myself. I played the demo or rented it, can't remember, along with a few friends and thought it was the most boring generic shit ever and was going to bomb.

It sold really well lol. Most of us are out of the loop and not most companies main demo anymore.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No!

Beyond the Sports licenses that are like 5 releases, EA has many titles of their own for a year.. They're not really on the situation of Activision which have only 5 titles per year at best on this decade.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
To be fair to the OP, sometimes I also forget that Madden, FIFA, and Battlefield exist. Looking at the last several years of EA's publishing efforts, they are basically a non-entity to me. I played Battlefront II because I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but beyond that their games might as well not exist for me.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
EA is leaving the triple A business to enter the triple $ business? They're making so much money right now despite all those controversies. As soon as they invest one year into becoming more consumer friendly purely on the MTX-side of things, they'll end up entering Narnia or something like that.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The future of the AAA: Saving money on production spending, earning bigger return on investment and player retention rates for monetized in-game objectives.

Also, tax-aversion practices cuz I heard Activision does that.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Talk about an ERA bubble jesus christ

EcN7Snu.png

9fh519M.png

3flf4sV.png

LqfU9WT.png

I sometimes forget this forum is full of folks of all ages and are also not in touch with a certain reality. But its good that factual posts like this (rarely seen on Era btw) pop up every once in a while since the Era bubble is getting more real with each passing month.

I saw somebody say that eventhough Sony didnt outsell Nintendo for most sold console units in a year (2018), that they were doing bad.

After seeing Sony's last quarterly report, I laughed out loud, yo.

Oct 26, 2017
Too many people want them to fail; it clouds their rationality.

I could live without EA, as there are enough good games out there these days and the past to always fall back on...but they're like junk food.

I crave and enjoy them from time to time and I'd say most of their games are good, but not great. And there will always be a market for them.
There's a lot of that too. I'm not into EA at all and they're not talked about too much on the bubble that is Era but you'd have to be smoking something incredible to suggest that their AAA days are numbered. Stuff like Fifa and whatnot continue to be big because of how well EA has handled them overall, regardless of how we might feel about certain elements

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
No cause they still make money from the sports title every year

My time there they really focused on ensuring the fifa product can sell and every year that alone makes money

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No.

Even if everything else failed, their yearly FIFA/Madden rehashes could keep them going.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They should license some ancient IPs around to other studios, they're sitting on a treasure of titles. Other than that, they're doing okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.