• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Same path or worse, I'm lost all faith in them. The only thing remotely good they do anymore is their indie publishing which gives us stuff like a way out.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I hope they don't give up on their indie games. Literally the only good thing they've done this gen. Well, I also liked DA Inquisition

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
EA burns through talent but they stick to harsh deadlines. By virtue of being publicly traded, they are also always looking to minimize cost. These 3 factors have lead them to dumpster multiple franchises with god awful releases and mismanage studios. I don't see it stopping anytime soon. EA is buckling under the weight of a changing industry.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Doesn't the Star Wars licensing deal end in 2023? Hopefully Disney wont extend that deal and will go the Marvel route instead, with those EA teams being freed up working on new IP.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
EA has been a soulless corporation for years and will continue to be so as long as the money rolls in. I have a lot of respect for the developers who work at EA. Fuck the publisher side though.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
EA change all the time, they follow the money and don't care about anything else. Who knows what money-spinning trends they will follow in the future?

All we know is that the quality of the actual software is not important to them, they will continue to release unfinished, broken and exploitative games.

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't the Star Wars licensing deal end in 2023? Hopefully Disney wont extend that deal and will go the Marvel route instead, with those EA teams being freed up working on new IP.

I don't see Disney going with the Marvel route.
Marvel Games actually follow all the studios and they provide support for all the games, from mobile to console/PC and they are ok with original stories not connected to any Marvel series.

LucasArts does not have the same resources and on top of that, everything must be canon, it's going to be hard and difficult to follow third party developers across the world, that's why i don't think Disney will go the Marvel route but instead will either stick to EA or find another major publisher.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Next gen wow, oooh shiny, micro transaction what?!

Modern Battlefield, yay!

Before you know it, the gen will be finished, this FIFA sucks. Remember when BF was good.

I do actually think EA are possibly in trouble, take away FIFA Ultimate team and they are pretty fucked, they've got nothing and a flop or two puts them in trouble. There is no growth with EA and if they double down on FIFA instead of being creative, could spell trouble.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From what I've gathered they and their investors are happy with the profits. They're a huge corporation and their main mission is to make profits for shareholders. If they're succeeding at that they'll hold course. If not they'll change course, but probably not in ways folks on here will like.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
They've always chased the easiest dollar so I'm hoping this new Star Wars game is great and sells a ton so they start heading back down single player story focused games

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Battlefront 2 has become a fantastic game and serves as great evidence of their willingness to change and invest in change.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, they'll continue to still being pretty much trash and keep making shitload of money with their sports titles.

But I'm honestly pretty surprised how badly they managed to utterly fail at implementing a successful GaaS model to their core franchises compared to the competition.

Also bonus points for having exclusive rights to Star Wars and pissing away years worth of potential. (Yeah, Fallen Order looks cool but still)

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Nah, they'll continue to still being pretty much trash and keep making shitload of money with their sports titles.

But I'm honestly pretty surprised how badly they managed to utterly fail at implementing a successful GaaS model to their core franchises compared to the competition.

Also bonus points for having exclusive rights to Star Wars and pissing away years worth of potential. (Yeah, Fallen Order looks cool but still)
Kind of a harsh post there... but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say that their product management and production is probably more decentralized compared to other publishers like WB. Incidentally, this is probably the opposite of what people give EA shit for. Harsher and more stringent intervention from EA probably would've prevented something like Anthem from happening earlier in the life cycle.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Probably not but of course I hope so, its something that needs to change industry wide. I don't believe the sole problem lies with just one publisher

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It doesn't matter, they have a corporate ethos that promotes this kind of shit. Read between the lines of all the behind the scenes Anthem development stuff and everything Bioware did was to push what they thought was a product that senior management would promote.
This is the standard across most game studios. You do what you think will make money or get funding.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same path. They've dug in on being greedy bastards and I'm highly doubtful they'll change now.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As i posted in that other thread

Last-Gen

WX3myZF.png

tgDVQ6C.png

oMa0JvD.png

diVQ4FU.png

1kBP88B.png

aXXi2Ay.png

giKQpUJ.png

J8E9YPA.png

Current-gen

KZPDYYj.png

ePYGvM8.png

QU6N6rt.png

MLkKeUq.png

mqyXQms.png

As production costs and scope balloons, its a safer bet to make a smaller amount of "safe" titles at a high cost for ea than it is numerous medium scoped games that may not do the numbers they need. Trust me i hate it too.

Oct 26, 2017

They are so bad that they manage to make more money than every major third party publisher in the planet (minus ActiBlizz) despite having a non-successful GAAS model for their core franchises.

It doesn't matter, they have a corporate ethos that promotes this kind of shit. Read between the lines of all the behind the scenes Anthem development stuff and everything Bioware did was to push what they thought was a product that senior management would promote.

Anthem happened because EA gave too much freedom to BioWare, let's be real here, BioWare had 7 years and all the money they could ask, their management failed to make a new and compelling IP and after 7 years, EA had to pull the plug, it's not like they will keep funding the game for the eternity.

If EA was strict, Anthem was probably a dead IP by the second year or pre-production.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
haven't been keeping tabs on their earnings but i'm guessing they're doing fine in spite of everything. they'll keep doing what they're doing and i can't really blame them (in terms of general product output, not mustache twirling insidious market practices)

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why should they change? Selling microtransaction riddled garbage has made them a fortune. They don't care about quality and neither do the people that buy their games.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, they're too far down the trash chute to change course now.

I've pretty much written them off completely at this point personally. Their output this gen has been almost completely garbage in some form or other.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As production costs and scope balloons, its a safer bet to make a smaller amount of "safe" titles at a high cost for ea than it is numerous medium scoped games that may not do the numbers they need. Trust me i hate it too.

That's the thing last few years only safe titles for them were FIFA, Madden and NHL. Everything else was more-less failure. Mass Effect Andromeda, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Anthem, Battlefront 2, past like 5 NFS games, NBA Live, Battlefield V... Hell more people on PC currently play Battlefield 4 than Battlefield 1 (and I would say that Battlefield V isn't doing any better). And so on. Some of those games maybe did ok sales wise but non of them reached EA expectations.

Dragon Age Inquisition was financial success but reception in the community was bit divided. Battlefront 1 was big financial success but failed at implementing GaaS. From their Indie initiatives (they don't get any money from those) A Way Out was only big success.

They did have some successes outside sport titles but majority of them didn't meet their expectations and many of them had big development issues.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing last few years only safe titles for them were FIFA, Madden and NHL. Everything else was more-less failure. Mass Effect Andromeda, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Anthem, Battlefront 2, past like 5 NFS games, NBA Live, Battlefield V... Hell more people on PC currently play Battlefield 4 than Battlefield 1 (and I would say that Battlefield V isn't doing any better). And so on. Some of those games maybe did ok sales wise but non of them reached EA expectations.

Dragon Age Inquisition was financial success but reception in the community was bit divided. Battlefront 1 was big financial success but failed at implementing GaaS. From their Indie initiatives (they don't get any money from those) A Way Out was only big success.

They did have some successes outside sport titles but majority of them didn't meet their expectations and many of them had big development issues.

Yeah it does seem like they've had more bombs then hits this generation. Im sure thats made them extra scared of making something unsafe

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Hell more people on PC currently play Battlefield 4 than Battlefield 1 (and I would say that Battlefield V isn't doing any better). And so on. Some of those games maybe did ok sales wise but non of them reached EA expectations.

What? :D I cannot go into specifics, but Battlefield 1 is the most successful title that DICE has ever released.
The trailer alone has 62 million views. :)

25 million players about a year and three months after release.

venturebeat.com

EA’s Battlefield 1 hits 25 million players thanks to DLC and discounts

We're thrilled to announce the return of GamesBeat Summit Next, hosted in San Francisco this October, where we will explore the theme of "Playing the Edge." Apply to speak here and learn more about sponsorship opportunities here. Electronic Arts announced today that Battlefield 1 has reached 25...

Last edited:
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
What? :D I cannot go into specifics, but Battlefield 1 is the most successful title that DICE has ever released.
The trailer alone has 62 million views. :)

25 million players about a year and three months after release.

venturebeat.com

EA’s Battlefield 1 hits 25 million players thanks to DLC and discounts

We're thrilled to announce the return of GamesBeat Summit Next, hosted in San Francisco this October, where we will explore the theme of "Playing the Edge." Apply to speak here and learn more about sponsorship opportunities here. Electronic Arts announced today that Battlefield 1 has reached 25...

I am talking about current player count on PC based on Stats we have. Around 10K players peak in past 24h for BF4 and same for BF1.

How accurate those i have no idea but that is all we can publicly see because Origin or PSN/Xbox Live don't provide those details. Keep in mind that BF4 is 6 year old game and if those numbers are correct that speaks a lot in what state Battlfield franchise is.

And as i said some of the games i mentioned did sold well, BF1 reception was good at launch.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I miss PS2 era EA but I don't think game development cost will ever allow it.