• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Disco Elysium is my GOTY , but it's very much aimed at gamers from a certain generation. I know my 15 year Nephew would hate it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still need to finish it (actually finish both of them, but I'm "at the final boss" in Hollow Knight, and not sure I have the skills to do it), so I want to reserve judgement, but Disco Elysium might be my favorite RPG ever, and that is my favorite genre of game. I really need to see how it ends though. I'll probably try to finish it off this weekend. I'm at the end of day 3, so I'm guessing this might be possible.

I'll also say, I don't think it will do well on consoles like Hollow Knight did, because most people aren't going to want to read three novels worth of dialogue and text on their TV...at least that's probably not how I would want to play it.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I dont mean this as harsh criticism and i guess its not really my place as a Gamer Forum Random but:

I don't think your analysis is wrong, but saying one of the most boundary pushing new teams in their genre won't find success because the (political) writing style or the (not anime boy / anime girl) character is too ugly is a kinda disappointing lack of solidarity from somebody verified as another indie rpg dev imo.

I never said they won't find success and in fact, I specifically said it's already successful. I said that it's a combination of niche and by being niche, there's a cap to the upper limit of how successful it can be. It can be the next Divinity: OS, but it's unlikely to be the next Undertale.

I never said anything about the writing being political. The writing is very random and also (literally) very in its own head. It reminds me a lot of Jerry Holkin's (Penny Arcade) writing style which certainly isn't for everyone. It's also frequently quite "mature" with lots of swearing & explicit content which further limits its potential audience.

And yes, having a creepy-looking guy as your protagonist inherently limits your mass marketing appeal.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I'd certainly get it if it was released on something portable, looks like my cup of tea

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont mean this as harsh criticism and i guess its not really my place as a Gamer Forum Random but:

I don't think your analysis is wrong, but saying one of the most boundary pushing new teams in their genre won't find success because the (political) writing style or the (not anime boy / anime girl) character is too ugly is a kinda disappointing lack of solidarity from somebody verified as another indie rpg dev imo.

I'm not sure what solidarity has to do with it.

Simple fact is Disco is not an accessible, pick up & play experience like HK. And therefore its reach will be more limited.

I think DE is a genre-defining game, but I've no misgivings about its marketability.

I also think Crusader Kings II is the best strategy game of all time, but simply being the All Time Best doesn't mean something will also see mass-market adoption.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's reasonable, I don't disagree (my own post earlier in the thread was similar), but divinity os sold a lot of copies!

I just like to think of the indie community focusing on the upside for their boundary pushing members.

Right which is why I don't feel like my comments were particularly harsh. The thread topic is basically will this game be the next indie mega-blockbuster? And I think the answer to that is no, it will "only" be an extremely successful indie game that most likely wins a bunch of awards. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so, even though I am excited to play it in the future. Hollow Knight did something wild by taking a genre that makes 6-12 hour games and made a 50 hour game out of it. The scale was insane, but it was still matched with the quality of shorter games in it's genre. Disco (have not played) looks to be around or slightly longer with other games in it's genre, which is fine because those games are already much longer .

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Disco Elysiums gameplay and writing style is way too niche to be all that mass market compatible. And personally I feel that the third act of the game wasn't particularly great and I was kinda iffy about the politics of the game after seeing how it all played out. I'm not sure If I'll ever replay it, even though I definitely wanted to when I started playing.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing it and its an excellent game 9/10 for me but this is nothing new. Its a really good point and click adventure game of old with rpg leveling system and perks system. But this is up there with longest journey or monkey island.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disco (have not played) looks to be around or slightly longer with other games in it's genre, which is fine because those games are already much longer .

It's actually quite short, fifteen or sixteen hours should see you through. Maybe a bit longer if you absolutely everything. It'd actually be even shorter if not for some artificial padding and roadblocks.

Disco Elysiums gameplay and writing style is way too niche to be all that mass market compatible. And personally I feel that the third act of the game wasn't particularly great and I was kinda iffy about the politics of the game after seeing how it all played out. I'm not sure If I'll ever replay it, even though I definitely wanted to when I started playing.

Yeah the last act was very weak.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
It's actually quite short, fifteen or sixteen hours should see you through. Maybe a bit longer if you absolutely everything. It'd actually be even shorter if not for some artificial padding and roadblocks.

Gotcha, I saw somewhere online it was 60 or 70 hours but I guess that was an overstatement. Never played PC isometric games like this but with this & Divinity games it got me interested. Decided to start back on Baldur Gates games and move onto Planescape before trying some of the newer titles in this genre out. Baldur's Gate 1 is cool so far, but definetly had a learning curve. Have a fairly good idea of the systems now though. Been on chapter 2 for ages just playing around with how different things and classes work. Fairly fun right now though.

Since I had never played these games or any D&D figured I would struggle through the first game to learn everything so when the second rolled around I would be able to just enjoy the game.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotcha, I saw somewhere online it was 60 or 70 hours but I guess that was an overstatement. Never played PC isometric games like this but with this & Divinity games it got me interested. Decided to start back on Baldur Gates games and move onto Planescape before trying some of the newer titles in this genre out. Baldur's Gate 1 is cool so far, but definetly had a learning curve. Have a fairly good idea of the systems now though. Been on chapter 2 for ages just playing around with how different things and classes work. Fairly fun right now though.

Since I had never played these games or any D&D figured I would struggle through the first game to learn everything so when the second rolled around I would be able to just enjoy the game.

I think you could spend 60-70 hours over multiple playthroughs to see all the content. There's an immense amount of dialogue, etc locked behind skills.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you could spend 60-70 hours over multiple playthroughs to see all the content. There's an immense amount of dialogue, etc locked behind skills.

I found even a second playthrough to be a struggle, can't honestly imagine doing it the six or seven times you'd need to hit sixty or seventy hours. Changing up your skill build doesnt add what I'd consider a significant amount of dialogue (though some skills add more than others). You can also just save scum your way through an initial playthrough which nets you a sizeable chunk of the skill check dialogue without necessitating a second playthrough.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found even a second playthrough to be a struggle, can't honestly imagine doing it the six or seven times you'd need to hit sixty or seventy hours. Changing up your skill build doesnt add what I'd consider a significant amount of dialogue (though some skills add more than others). You can also just save scum your way through an initial playthrough which nets you a sizeable chunk of the skill check dialogue without necessitating a second playthrough.

You must be playing at a rapid clip. It took me well over 20 hours on the first go-round.

And sure, save-scumming is a thing, but I don't find it particularly engaging and I feel like the game generally rewards just riding things out.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You must be playing at a rapid clip. It took me well over 20 hours on the first go-round.

And sure, save-scumming is a thing, but I don't find it particularly engaging and I feel like the game generally rewards just riding things out.

Took me 15 to 16 for my first play through and I didn't think I was playing particularly quickly. I suppose I do read quickly and toward the latter third of the game largely just read instead of waiting for the VA. I didn't save scum initially but its one of those slippery slope things where once you do it once...Clearly the game needs an Ironman mode to hold up my shaky will ;)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Took me 15 to 16 for my first play through and I didn't think I was playing particularly quickly. I suppose I do read quickly and toward the latter third of the game largely just read instead of waiting for the VA. I didn't save scum initially but its one of those slippery slope things where once you do it once...Clearly the game needs an Ironman mode to hold up my shaky will ;)

I save-scummed a single time because I hit a weird bug in the progression, but apart from that I rather enjoyed just wallowing in my failures and taking notes for the next go. I might wait a little while before a second playthrough, but I certainly plan to do one.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I save-scummed a single time because I hit a weird bug in the progression, but apart from that I rather enjoyed just wallowing in my failures and taking notes for the next go. I might wait a little while before a second playthrough, but I certainly plan to do one.

I'd be sort of tempted to try a complete dickhead playthrough at some point. But I feel that it might get unpleasantly racist.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I sure hope so!

Disco Elysium is one of the most surreal, unique gaming experiences I've had in a long while. Felt like Hunter S. Thompson combined with Snow Crash combined with Dungeons & Dragons. A combination I certainly didn't expect from a game this year.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017

It took me 31 hours and a friend of mine 40. I would also argue that the less time you spend with it, the worse the ending will seem, for reasons I won't spoil. The "sidequests" really matter in this one.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took me 31 hours and a friend of mine 40. I would also argue that the less time you spend with it, the worse the ending will seem, for reasons I won't spoil. The "sidequests" really matter in this one.

I don't know how it could take you that long. Even on sites like Howlongtobeat the median time for a completionist run is about twenty five hours. I used a (few) guides on my second playthrough to make sure I didnt miss anything (as it turns out I'd got the main "optional" bit on my initial blind playthrough). It didn't make the ending any better and certainly didnt do much to shore up the weak third act.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I could find an opinion on this site I disagree with more strongly, but to each their own, I guess.

Any better may have been too extreme. It made it a bit more interesting but not to the point where I'd consider it significantly changed (and again did little to improve the third act). But as you say, to each their own. I still think the game is excellent.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Im sold but stuck waiting for PS4. Anything I can play in the meantime thats similar?

(and possibly also gorgeous, I just wanna look at this game)

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Im sold but stuck waiting for PS4. Anything I can play in the meantime thats similar?

(and possibly also gorgeous, I just wanna look at this game)

The most direct analog would be Planescape: Torment, but that's a 20 year old Infinity Engine game. Got cleaned up nicely with the recent Enhanced Edition release, but I noticed that it's bundled with Icewind Dale on PS4, effectively doubling the price and lowering the value proposition. Maybe if you can get it on sale or something?

Next up would be Sunless Skies which is seeing console release soon with the Sovereign Edition. Now this one is gd drop-dead gorgeous and has some of the best writing of the year. Sadly though, it's just not out yet.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 sports some killer writing as well. Game engine looks great and the TB combat is some of the best in the biz. That might be your best bet.

As I said though, the only one that comes closest is Torment though. And even that one has a lot of combat, unlike Disco which is virtually combat free. I noticed Amazon has the package for $30.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Look forward to playing this. my indie favorite this year is Fell Seal: Arbiters Mark. Such a great srpg that reminds me of the classics like FFT.