• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think we should be fine with 1080ti GPU's and up. It's the CPU that's going to need to be in the Ryzen 3600x and up to keep up throughout the generation.

I'm making upgrades to a 3900x early next year and then a GPU in 2021. I think getting an NVME SSD will help more than people anticipate so at this time I'm also looking into at least 1tb of nvme storage on top of my 2 SSD's and 2 HDD's.

With all that being attained, I feel that I'm very well set for a long while minus the GPU unless I'm just playing at 1080p.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
these threads get old fast , the gtx 9 series released not long after the consoles and the 970 was so much stronger.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't it normally go that the new consoles are powerful-ish, but modern GPUs are still much more powerful in comparison?

I think I remember it taking a while for VRAM amounts to catch up on consumer GPUs, and it looks like this could be a similar situation on this cycle. I remember GPUs having 2 - 4GB of VRAM when the consoles had 8GB on the PS4/Xbone?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Aside from the RTX cards atm, I'd guess next-gen would have games looking better on console than any other PC gpus currently available. Raytracing + VRS + dynamic res will probably do some heavy lifting for console versions.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Will your current gpu explode because it is inferior to the one in the X Series or will you just lower the resolution/settings?
Who plays in 4K on PC anyway (hint: not many).

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping my 1080ti lasts me another 3 or 4 years. I mostly play at 1440/60fps.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Anything 2060S and up in power is going to do very well. The new consoles aren't going to beat a 3700x/2080 spec'd machine, no way.

I think 1070 and below will start having an abrupt rough time with newer games in 2020, though.

Even at 1080p? The 1070 isn't that much slower than a 2060.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consoles targeting 4k you could play at 1080p and your comparison would be a 4TF Lockhart.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I would wait for real gameplay running on real devkits before jumping to conclusions about the next gen consoles.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Same dance every generation.

I remember last generation about "coding to the metal" and how PS4 (before the announcement) would play every game in 1080p/60fps, then before PS4Pro every game in native 4k/60fps.

Remember 8GB GDDR5?
8Core CPUs?
1.8TFlops?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Doesn't it normally go that the new consoles are powerful-ish, but modern GPUs are still much more powerful in comparison?

I think I remember it taking a while for VRAM amounts to catch up on consumer GPUs, and it looks like this could be a similar situation on this cycle. I remember GPUs having 2 - 4GB of VRAM when the consoles had 8GB on the PS4/Xbone?

Didn't happen this gen.

The XB1 launched with $150 GPU equivalent. XBoxwhateverit'scalled will launch with a rumored $500 GPU equivalent that doesn't even exist right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should spend some time informing yourself about these things. The Crytek verison of RT is not at all more performant/efficent/ or even as good looking as DXR enabled RT reflections - it is extremely limited and runs better on Turing than RDNA (even though it is not using hardware RT which Turing has).
There is no evidence that AMDs RT implementation is somehow superior to NVs.

The hellblade 2 trailer... I have quite a lot to say about it - but using something titled just "in-engine" that is 24 fps at 70% or so of 4K resolution as the representation of next gen graphics even though it has yet to be even proven as being real time running on a next gen console is not exactly wise.

Every generation this happens... PC GPU owners will of course be fine.
Don't worry Alex, I watch nearly every video of you guys at that matter! :)

I mean more efficient in a sense that the Neon Noir demo is able to run raytracing reflections at all at decent speed even without the need of dedicated RT hardware and even on old low end hardware, while on Nvidias side, the performance is nearly cut in half (depending on the game and settings of course) when using RT despite the dedicated hardware. Of course for a better comparison, we should have a RT off build of Neon Noir with only screen space reflections, but you get my point.

However yes, it's not as good looking as the RTX solution but to be honest, it doesn't need to be when similar things can be done at lower performance cost. I mean who really looks for stuff like if a bullet aligns perfectly with the reflection or notices the lower resolution?

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft and Sony aren't going to be selling the equivalent of a $2000-3000 PC for $499. They are going to sell the console at a price where the hardware almost breaks even, they aren't ever going to go down the PS3 route again. That means a significantly downclocked Ryzen 3000 series Cpu with reduced cache size to drive down costs and power use for easier cooling. AMD still has no equivalent card to the 2080 or 2080 Ti and 0 hardware ray tracing on the market currently, I don't see them miraculously releasing a $1000+ 2080 Ti killer with far improved hardware ray tracing support in next Gen consoles for the expected $499 cost of the console. We haven't even gotten to the expensive NVMe SSD storage solution the console will be using, which stand alone will easily cost $100-200+ and 16gb of GDDR6 or decently fast DDR4 isn't cheap (Ryzen 3000 series works best with 3600-3800 speed DDR4 RAM).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm not going to be playing PC games at 4k (I'm ok with a 1080p monitor for now) so I doubt I'll need anything as powerful as a 2080 for a good while anyway.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sticking with my 980ti for another two or three years. I expect to be fine even if I have to start moving settings down to medium. I'm sticking to 1440p so that'll help whenever I do a system build next.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I mean more efficient in a sense that the Neon Noir demo is able to run raytracing reflections at all at decent speed even without the need of dedicated RT hardware and even on old low end hardware, while on Nvidias side, the performance is nearly cut in half (depending on the game and settings of course) when using RT despite the dedicated hardware.
The reduction to framerate for turning on RT reflections in Neon Noir is something that we did not report on since the retail build of Neon Noir does not allow you to turn it off (the press build on the other hand...), but let me just say that it does not compare favourably in terms of performance deficit vs. turning on DXR to low in BFV (which makes sense, since it is not using HWRT).

Battlefield V's DXR set to low is basically a more total version of Crytek's RT in terms of how it effects image quality - but just better. DXR on Low in Battlefield V runs quite a lot faster than it set to High or Ultra.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Even at 1080p? The 1070 isn't that much slower than a 2060.

I mean keep in mind the 1070 is the very top end of the group of cards I was talking about. I have a 980ti currently and I'm starting to really feel the squeeze trying to maintain 1440p/60, already. I suspect stuff like Cyberpunk will continue hitting them pretty hard. Games a year from now, even harder. If the 1070/980ti are there already, anything below is going to feel the squeeze harder.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
these threads get old fast , the gtx 9 series released not long after the consoles and the 970 was so much stronger.
True, but I guess it depends on what OP means by "obsolete". Obsolete as in they're complete rubbish? Definitely not lol. A 970 can still run a pretty good amount of new games at 1080/~60 today if you have to have that 60 frames. Can't go higher than 1080p though.

Will a 2070 be running new games at 1080/60 (max settings) in 2025? I guess we'll see?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Lets wait until the Consoles are out shall we, we don't really know what specs the GPU's truly are or how AMD RT performs.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
No... My gtx 1080ti still stomps and doesn't break a sweat for a good number of games unless you crank it up to beyond console settings.

I think people expecting 4k60 with ray tracing and all the bells and whistles on next gen will be disappointed. It's a standard pick 2 (or even just 1) of the 3.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Something to consider is that Phil Spencer is promising 4K/60 FPS right out the gate, but he didn't say for how long. A year? Maybe 2? Meanwhile PC specs will keep chugging along - I imagine the latest GPUs this time next year will be significantly more powerful than both new consoles. I also don't think it will matter that much, but that's a different discussion.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
has there EVER been a time where niche, expensive PC hardware was outclassed by mass produced, cheap console hardware? even with MS as a loss-leader, they aren't going to be taking the kind of losses per unit to put this thing remotely in range of 600-700 dollar cards.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why are people worrying about PC GPUs? I thought PC Gaming was already dead after PS4Pro and Xbox One X ?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Something to consider is that Phil Spencer is promising 4K/60 FPS right out the gate, but he didn't say for how long. A year? Maybe 2?
"4K 60" is also just a resolution and framerate

He didn;t mention anything about LoDs, variable rate shading, dynamic resolution, checkerboarding, or other visual sacrifices/tricks that developers could use to hit a certain resolution for consoles.

Wait, why are people worrying about PC GPUs? I thought PC Gaming was already dead after PS4Pro and Xbox One X ?
A Dell optiplex with a GTX 1650 in it is basically a PS4 Pro

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Ok, so after the Xbox series X announcement, I'm pretty worried about any PC GPU that is below a RTX 2080.

We've seen a Hellblade 2 trailer that assumingly sports full ray tracing while also running at 4K and frankly, puts out every other game there is to shame. We also saw a PS5 title that supports full ray traced reflections AND runs at 4K60, while, and that is the important part, current games like Shadow of The Tomb Raider, BF5, Metro and Control look much worse than that and also take a deep hit in performance with RTX on (even if its just reflections like in the PS5 title). And those, with RTX on, can't be done at native 4K60 even on a 2080TI even though they are much simpler games and use less RT techniques.

Furthermore, leaked specs according to insiders, are 12 RDNA2 TFLOPs, which puts them in a league between RTX 2080 and RTX 2080Ti which is just crazy.

So is it safe to say that AMD's solution of real time RT puts the one in Turing to shame? Also the raw performance destroys every card under a 2080.

Sure, Turing also supports VRS and Mesh Shaders which could improve performance more, but is that really enough to catch up with the consoles?

Or maybe Microsoft and AMD found a way to drastically improve Raytracing performance in DXR and Nvidia will further accelerate that with RT cores, so having RT performance on par with RDNA2 or even better? I mean there is also Crytek's version of RT which is much more efficient than RTX and runs even without RT cores, so maybe it's more like that but with dedicated hardware next gen?

What do you think?

I give you a hint about what can be used on next-generation raytracing on consoles. Another things raytraced shadows can be faster than Shadow maps.

They say on RTX it can run at 4k 60 fps. I think raytracing on consoles will not be shitty but RTX will be ok probably 2070 and 2080 at least and for 2060 you can reduce details.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Short answer: No.

Long answer: A 1660ti will let you do 1080/60 ultra on damn near everything for the first half of the next generation.

Deleted member 62100

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
I'll still be shooting for 1080p/60. And if I have to upgrade my GPU, I will. I accept that PC gaming is a monetary luxury over console gaming (I have consoles).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
True, but I guess it depends on what OP means by "obsolete". Obsolete as in they're complete rubbish? Definitely not lol. A 970 can still run a pretty good amount of new games at 1080/~60 today if you have to have that 60 frames. Can't go higher than 1080p though.

Will a 2070 be running new games at 1080/60 (max settings) in 2025? I guess we'll see?
Will 2020 consoles run 2025 games at 1080/60 (max settings)? I guess we'll see?

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Oh shit I just bought a 5700 XT, I hope games will continue to boot up when ps5 and series X arrive

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
has there EVER been a time where niche, expensive PC hardware was outclassed by mass produced, cheap console hardware? even with MS as a loss-leader, they aren't going to be taking the kind of losses per unit to put this thing remotely in range of 600-700 dollar cards.

Closest that we got was the 360. That thing was an absolute beast of a machine when it came out. But Microsoft took large losses on each system sold and then even larger losses from RROD.

I dunno, maybe that's what we're getting for next gen systems. I would love it if that's the case.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Why do we grossly overestimate the power of consoles every cycle?

Because there was a time when consoles were more than just a small form factor PC? When the Dreamcast launched it offered, in some ways, better visuals than the PCs of the time. The system supported hardware anti-aliasing and bumpmapping. The PS2's architecture could do some neat things and devs wrung the hell out of it by the end of the generation. Now the consoles are just PCs running AMD APUs.

So is it safe to say that AMD's solution of real time RT puts the one in Turing to shame?

Outside of a couple of devs here no one knows. Just because NVIDIA's original implementation of real-time raytracing has a huge performance cost on current hardware, I think people are looking for too much from AMD. AMD's GPUs have been competitive with NVIDIA's at particular price points but they have no competitor at the 2080 Ti/RTX Titan level, and they haven't for two or three generations. The last high-end AMD GPU that was top dog was the R9 290X?

Where next-gen consoles will make PCs look bad is in price/performance, most likely, but that's already the case.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
My laptop has a 2070 Max Q, runs on a nice g-sync 1080p screen @ 144hz with HDR. I don't expect to have any issues other than turning a few things down from max maybe.

I'll replace the laptop out of age before out of necessity.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well... the 3000 series is being releases next year on 7nm. So no. Also, I'd like to see these super special SSDs their talking about. Lexar just demoed their new SSD with sequential reads at 6.2GB/sec and writes at 4.2GB/sec on PCIE 4.0. SSDs with those speeds REQUIRE a cooling solution. I don't know how they are going to keep costs down.

Also, unless MS and Sony are going to sell at a loss, then 499 for a 4K60 capable machine with solid state drives is a straight up pipe dream. I would say you're looking at $800 on the low side and that would be them selling at cost. They'd probably raise the price of their online services to offset hardware costs.

I think people are going to be in for a huge disappointment with these new console price points. The writing is on the wall. There are multiple SKUs for these machines for a reason.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'll see many 1080p games on consoles next gen.
I mean as in that I believe that consoles will be ca. the power of a 2070 once accounting for optimization. Asking if it will be able to run 1080/60fps at max settings is a bit stupid as consoles will probably not be able either (as in 2025 PC max settings will be far superior to 2020 consoles, as it has been in previous generations).

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
It all depends on which resolution you're planning to play at. As far as I'm concerned I'm sticking to 1080p.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Closest that we got was the 360. That thing was an absolute beast of a machine when it came out. But Microsoft took large losses on each system sold and then even larger losses from RROD.

I dunno, maybe that's what we're getting for next gen systems. I would love it if that's the case.

Yeah. I think it was about a year until the 8800GTX was released to where PCs were back to having a large gap in performance from consoles.

What a legendary monster that card was. I wonder if we will ever see a performance boost like that ever again in the industry.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They told me these threads would come when the new console generation was nigh.
They told all of us.
I thought, maybe not this time. Maybe things are different now.
This week on Era has shown me how wrong I was. How goddamn wrong a man can be.

OK but seriously, that's the thing about PC GPUs, most often they don't become obsolete to the user unless they become unable to run the games you want to play at a level of fidelity you're comfortable playing them at.

Last edited: