• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will BOTW 2 Launch

Votes: 736 41.4%

Votes: 965 54.2%

Votes: 78 4.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2018
If they can hit March 2023 like a lot of folks are suggesting, you'd think they'd be able to hit November 2022. And the succ doesn't need Zelda for launch. It can launch with the next Mario or Mario Kart.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
If it means getting the option to play it on better hardware so I can get 60fps or at least a resolution higher than 1080p then I will happily wait till 2024. My guess is it's out December 2022 or spring 2023 though.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when BOTW was supposed to come out in 2015?
Remember when Twilight Princess got a full year delay to 2006?
Remember when Skyward Sword was "tracking" a 2010 release date but then got delayed to the end of 2011?

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
With 2021 almost behind us, its time to start looking forward and predicting 2022. Breath of the Wild's Sequel continues to show up in the advertising and financial reports for 2022. But Zelda has a long history of delays, we have seen very little of the title, and the pandemic is still a big factor. Do you think that the game will come out next year? When do you think we will see the next big trailer?

I am going to say that at E3 Nintendo is going to show a full blown trailer and name reveal (if it hasn't already been revealed) and then drop a Holiday 2022 release date, but then in like Sept or Oct they delay it to Q1 2023 because they need a bit more time.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
To me, it's one of those games where it wouldn't surprise me if it releases in 2022, but I also wouldn't bet money on that happening. I don't doubt they've been working on it for a while (already been a couple years since it was announced), but I just don't know it's close to being in a 'release state' for them.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I think it will, but I'll give it a healthy 30% chance that it slips another year.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Remember when BOTW was supposed to come out in 2015?
Remember when Twilight Princess got a full year delay to 2006?
Remember when Skyward Sword was "tracking" a 2010 release date but then got delayed to the end of 2011?
In these instances I think it was more clear that they projected a release year too early. This stew has been simmering for quite a while and feels like a more measured projection made at this year's e3.

but also it's always possible I'm wrong and will weep. With these new patents being highlighted it's only made me thirstier. All three mechanics detailed (with extrapolation from their depiction in the second trailer) have massive puzzle and combat implications. It's almost as though they consciously cut the trailer to include these three knowing when this patent filing would be publicly available. What else awaits us!?!?!

GIVE ME THIS GAME

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a longer wait than skyward sword to botw was; and it'll be in the same hyrule we already explored thoroughly in 2017.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why it is so hard believe that the game could come out next year. Yes they said aiming, but they also are currently referencing it everywhere (IR documents, Game Awards) as a 2022 game. Even when it dosen't make 2022 I'm sure they will feature it at E3 similarly like BOTW in 2016 and we'll see it in in their next FY, so March 2023 the latest.

Last edited:

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yes. They showed gameplay trailer in June 2021. And stated it's coming next year. It is.

I could only see it delayed for marketing reasons (Switch2/+), but I don't think it will.

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
I vote March 2023
This looks like a good timeline for Switch Pro.

Also (wishful thoughts mode):
October 2022 Mario Odyssey 2
December 2022 Sonic Frontiers
March 2023 BOTW2

Need to break these open world-y games apart.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There are going to be a lot of angry people here when BOTW 2 launches before any Switch 2.

I can see in advance many people port begging for Switch Pro in the review thread in 2022.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Honestly... if the game then has not substantial new areas, and big changes on the map, people will riot, and i dont want to hear anybody "well they said they'll reused it". Even with covid, a game thats using an established tech, engine, world map, artstyle, a lot of assets and is developed for one platform instead of 2 should not take as long as the original, even with covid.

In other words: i expect this game to be huge and bigger then some people expected it when they anounced a reused map. This is not Majoras Mask. this is its own beast.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
...don't even care about the year, i just want it (or at least a version of it) running on stronger hardware.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spring 2023. Super Switch launch title and will also be available on the OG Switch. Just like how BOTW 1 was on both the Switch and the Wii U.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I think the true and tried recipe of a multiplatform release on the Switch and the succ will be too tempting - so depends on when the succ is released.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I'm inclined to think it's more likely to happen than not

Otherwise they're gonna need something major up their sleeve for next year, this year was already a little bare
wasnt this year stronger then the last 2? (at least way stronger then last year)

but yeah, just another port/remake for zelda would be weak.
We have "yearly" zelda releases, but the last 3 NEW CORE Zelda games where Botw (2017),
tri force heroes (2015) and Link between Worlds (2013)... (LA could count in 2019, but was a remake...)

So yeah, the IP has yearly releases, the zelda gameplay less so.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we all thought BOTW would get a relatively quick sequel since it would reuse the engine, assets, and open world?

How NAIVE was I?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when we all thought BOTW would get a relatively quick sequel since it would reuse the engine, assets, and open world?

How NAIVE was I?

I feel like that is always NIntendo's initial intention. Then they realize people won't dig some minor sequel to one of the goats. Then they start piling on new ideas.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
With the Zelda series' track record, I feel like 2024 is reasonable. There's no way it comes out 2022. They're always over ambitious with their release dates, and COVID clearly hit them hard.

And it's still going to be an amazing game worth taking a week off of work for.

That isn't reasonable at all. They've never announced a Zelda and had such a long period until release.

These are the two most delayed Zelda games:

TP - E3 2004 > November 2006
BotW - E3 2014 > March 2017

BotW2 will beat the length of BotW reveal/release soon enough and at E3 2022 it will be 3 years since the game was announced which will by then comfortably already be the record.

You're predicting 5 years from reveal to release by comparison.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Can you believe there was a time when it was thought it could make 2020?

I think it'll be 2022, but I'm definitely not going to be on it. Never fucking bet on 3D Zelda release dates.

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
Although I very much believe it'll be released in 2022, knowing Nintendo, it might be delayed to early 2023 and launch alongside the Switch 2/Pro

logash

Oct 27, 2017
The wait makes me think that Nintendo put way more into this than just more BoTW. I mean it is Nintendo and they rarely make samey sequels but there was part of me that thought that BoTW was so well received that they would just give us more. Hoping they put a lot of work into unique dungeons.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

How NAIVE was I?
I tried to tell everyone that wasn't going to happen. MM came out the same day PS2 came out. It was basically the end of the N64 lifespan which was, in part, why it had such a rushed dev time. It was a "now or never" type of situation for that game. Games also took a lot less time in general to make back then, and consoles had a shorter lifespan.

This new game, in contrast, is a sequel to a launch game on hardware with a modern lifespan, with a (presumably) open world to boot. Making it feel substantially different to BotW to justify a whole new game was always going to be a very tall order. And there is no reason for them to rush it any more than necessary. It could be the very final game released for the hardware (and the launch game for the next generation if they really wanted it to be) and fans would likely be okay with that.

Even after the content has been created, the amount of finishing polish required of games at this scale probably eclipses the length of the entire development cycle of Majora's Mask.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking BOTW2 might be to ALLTP what BOTW was to Zelda 1
That would be interesting. I have a feeling it's something completely different though. Like not just Majora's Mask or Wind Waker levels of different.

More like... MM or WW levels of different plus what Octo Expansion was to the Splatoon series. Or what Lost Levels was to Super Mario Bros. Something that forces players to really engage with BotW's mechanics in a much more difficult context while offering new gameplay on top.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
I feel like that is always NIntendo's initial intention. Then they realize people won't dig some minor sequel to one of the goats. Then they start piling on new ideas.
I'd say this plus realizing how unprecedented sales were for the IP. They now have another series that can be potentially as big as Mario...but they can't afford to not live up to expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.