• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Golden Sun > GS: The Lost Age?
Never played them, hence why I said "off the top of my head".

If true, then that's a grand total of one game so far. Even games like Mass Effect, that carry over progress, only carry over decisions, not all equipment (I think). Not sure why OP thinks this is some sort of norm.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the closest to being true, but you still don't get access to those characters or equipment until most of the way through the game. I do somewhat expect most of the BOTW armours to return, but you'll just have to reearn them, which isn't so different to having to play 75% of the game or whatever before it allows you to get those equips back in Golden sun.

I could see something like that happening.

Never played them, hence why I said "off the top of my head".

If true, then that's a grand total of one game so far. Even games like Mass Effect, that carry over progress, only carry over decisions, not all equipment (I think). Not sure why OP thinks this is some sort of norm.

Did OP say this is the norm anywhere? They're just asking and hoping for it

Honestly not sure why so many people in this thread are so adamant about nothing carrying over. I don't expect BotW2 to be as big a shift as SS>BotW1, but the series has proven to do wildly exceed and defy expectations. I'm sure before reveal, people would've laughed off the idea of BotW having katanas, climb-anywhere, shield surfing, or physics/"chemistry" stuff.

Some way for the game to recognise what outfits you had in previous game (on the same console, no less) doesn't seem too outlandish.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
If the Fierce Deity armor doesn't at least return than they failed at making a better game.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Uh, have you not watched the trailers? The second one makes it pretty clear that there's some serious reason for taking the master sword away, and link actually does start with it at least in the first trailer we saw with them going down in the caves.

Master Sword has been reduced to a melted lump, as seen in the new footage.

… I thought I had watched everything out there. Either I'm super unobservant or there's new-ish Zelda stuff for me to go watch.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe after you beat the game…i mean, it doesnt make sense if you already start op

Oct 25, 2017
It will OP, a complete wardrobe transfer will be possible thanks to Nintendo's new revolutionary World Enjoy Action Ready™ (W.E.A.R) system. With it, you will be able to enjoy everything from BotW within its sequel with ease! Simply pause and save the game in the BotW2's system menu. Once ready, exit the game and insert BotW's cartridge into your Switch hardware. Upon loading the game, you will instantly have all of your clothing and inventory from the first game available for your choosing!*

*note: all features, maps, gameplay, story and characters from BotW2 will be inaccessible during use.

Please look forward to the W.E.A.R.™ System launching across all Nintendo first party titles in late 2024.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
What are you dreaming? Of course not.

But worse, I actually bet half of them won't even reappear at all. Say goodbye to all the classic Outfits and stuff.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God's, that person who sarcastically said someone would do this in earnest was right.

I am incredibly eager to hear what your suggestions were for data transfer between the oracle games or golden sun games was that didn't involve a link cable so the two game cards could interact (because you could do the game linking without ever using a password), or alternatively a password. Pokemon has been using effectively the same transfer method ("Use cloud storage") since as soon as it became feasible.

You want a recent example? Fine. Pokémon legends arceus and Pokémon brilliant diamond/shining pearl have save data transfer that tell if you've finished legends arceus to allow you to catch an arceus in the other game.

Kirby did that because the demo doesn't have any goddamn save data, Christ.

it wasn;t sacarsm,

I KNEW that response was coming

skelaxin

Banned
Apr 11, 2022
content from the first game will be locked behind those Amibo plastic toys people apparently buy

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Nah no way, although they may give you a BOTW save data bonus of some kind(they almost certainly will honestly)

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Pretty certain it's going to be a completely fresh start outside of maybe getting a BOTW t-shirt for having a save game haha, there's going to be all new gear, etc

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No way. They might give you some small bonus for having BOTW save data, but nothing really drastic.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
No way. They might give you some small bonus for having BOTW save data, but nothing really drastic.
yeah agreed, and its the right thing to do too. It would be kinda weird to just start off with your entire inventory from BOTW, especially if you completed the game. Certainly some sort of bonus for having or completing BOTW though

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to see so many comments of "Nintendo is so extremely backward that it would never do that", as if it's an industry standard or something. I can't think of practically a single modern game that allows such a thing.
Like there are PLENTY of other actual "Nintendo is slow" things you can grlll them for. You dont gotta straight up make up more just to feel good about your hot take before ditchng the thread

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Let's not let our love of Nintendo's game trick us into thinking that they wouldn't make the most convoluted system imaginable for a feature like this. Because of that inevitability, it's probably best if it's just left out.
So what even is this conversation? The reason is that the other comments were acting as if Nintendo would not do it because "cuz Nintendo" rather than literally no company doing that, if anything it shows that Nintendo would do it

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
there's one very easy way to solve this.

the "canon" ending from Botw1 will be Link going to beat Ganon with nothing except the clothes you see him in the Botw2 trailer and Master Sword. there's a reason they let you beat the final boss in Botw1 as soon as you got off the plateau.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
while we're at it, I'd like to be able to lock-on the Age of Calamity cart to unlock all the playable characters from that game too

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
while we're at it, I'd like to be able to lock-on the Age of Calamity cart to unlock all the playable characters from that game too
that would be buck wild, but I struggle to think of literally any story justification that doesn't make the game inherently as ridiculous as AoC

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't even expect the same outfits from the first game. I don't know why you would.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So what even is this conversation? The reason is that the other comments were acting as if Nintendo would not do it because "cuz Nintendo" rather than literally no company doing that, if anything it shows that Nintendo would do it
I'm not personally arguing whether or not it makes gameplay sense to do it or whether or not I think it should be done mechanically, I'm arguing against how Nintendo would likely implement such a system and saying that their implementation would likely not be very user friendly.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I'm not personally arguing whether or not it makes gameplay sense to do it or whether or not I think it should be done mechanically, I'm arguing against how Nintendo would likely implement such a system and saying that their implementation would likely not be very user friendly.
Why? The only real examples were made like 20 years ago (Golden Sun was pretty easy if you had a way to connect it and the fact that they had a way to do it without it is neat), there is literally no reason to believe that it would be cumbersome outside "cuz Nintendo" which is a dumb way to think about it

BobbyB

Aug 18, 2021
Nah Ganon will show up and wreck links house at the start ruining all the items.
Then Ganon will tell Link the story of the three pigs

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
For BotW Link some rapscallion has stolen all your armour and has buried or otherwise hidden them throughout the world. There's a whole side quest chain associated with getting them back. The armour looks different/has different attributes to make it worth going after.

For ancient long-hair Link, there's all new sets that reflect the different time period he lives in as well as customisable arm pieces.

Jun 5, 2018
Unlikely, might get a joke item like age of calamity for having a save but I don't expect them to program save reading beyond that.