• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Atlus cancel 13 Sentinels if no one buys the paid demo?

• Yes

Votes: 170 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 211 55.2%

• Total voters

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The art looks really nice, might even considering getting it. Though I don't know why you're calling it a demo? Just seems like a game period.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Vanillaware notoriously takes a long time with their titles, and has no problem shipping at a loss for the sake of quality, so they'll find a way.

The art looks really nice, might even considering getting it. Though I don't know why you're calling it a demo? Just seems like a game period.
It's called the "prologue", so it pretty much is a demo of sorts. To justify the $30 cover price, they included a bunch of extras. That is customarily what companies will do to get to that price point, since you generally cannot get something out in a retail box for less than 3000 yen.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the Ground Zero comparison, at least GZ was a true prologue and was completely different from the main game. This sounds like it is literally the first few hours of the game and the save game wont even carry over to the final release if it ever comes....

Apr 9, 2018
Don't know why a healthy project would ever do this if this prologue is actually intended to be part of the full game. Are we sure they're not just pivoting to an episodic model?

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
You can get the demo for barely 1000 yen so is not a matter of buying a $30 demo or not. Even if the demo doesn't do well in Japan who is to say the game will not do decent in the west?, or even when the full game is out in Japan.

In any case, everything surrounding this game is difficult to understand.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's not even original content, it's just straight up the first three hours of the complete game?

Shit's scummy, yo.
Putting out a set that is a 36 page artbook, a physical mini soundtrack and a demo packaged together for 2900 yen is scummy????

They specifically included physical goods to justify the price. Artbooks here in Japan are usually 3000 yen on their own.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Putting out a set that is a 36 page artbook, a physical mini soundtrack and a demo packaged together for 2900 yen is scummy????

They specifically included physical goods to justify the price. Artbooks here in Japan are usually 3000 yen on their own.
To be fair, 3000yen artbooks are the 200-400 page books. A 36 page book is pretty much a consolation only for collection purposes and nothing more. It's a DVD case sized booklet too, so that's pretty tiny. With 13 main characters, I expect like 2 pages for each character, with most of it being a full pose taking up an entire page, and then some background art, and that's it.

10 bucks for the demo on disc, 10 bucks for the mini soundtrack, and 10 bucks for a tiny artbook and a nice art box sounds about right for collection value, but let's not oversell it haha.

Vanillaware notoriously takes a long time with their titles, and has no problem shipping at a loss for the sake of quality, so they'll find a way.
But it's not Vanillaware's call. Atlus is the pubisher, Atlus is funding the game, and Atlus owns the IP. If Atlus wants to stop paying for continued development of the game and doesn't want to market and distribute it, they'll cancel it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Yea I think they'll cancel it if it doesn't hit a certain threshold. They seem to be doing all they can to get people to buy it so I feel like it is a "we spent so much money on this dumb thing. So we wanna see if there is enough interest in at least the prologue before we commit for more money."

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So is everybody worried just because it's taking a while? Persona 5 took a while too and I don't remember as much panic over its cancellation.

I'm looking forward to the game but to me this paid demo looks like Atlus begging for more money. It's not the same thing as Ground Zeroes where the devs turned it into its own game and added enough additional content to justify the price. This demo is just chapter one making it pointless to buy it now if you're going to play the full game eventually and I hope the pre-order/ special edition shit for demos doesn't catch on.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the Ground Zero comparison, at least GZ was a true prologue and was completely different from the main game. This sounds like it is literally the first few hours of the game and the save game wont even carry over to the final release if it ever comes....

You can literally finish GZ under 3 hours too though lol.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i'll throw all my money at them but i don't really need a demo. i hope they will continue making nice 2D things.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
I like visual novels and I really love the presentation of Vanillaware's games (questionable content aside), but uh, this doesn't seem like a terribly engaging deal. The lack of save data transfer being the real sticking point for me here. The extras are really nice but having to replay the first three hours of a visual novel once the final game is out, is like, anti-fun.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
13 Sentinels Why this demo package should be more in line with Ground Zeroes, in that game you unlocked some extra goodies in the full version.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt they will cancel the game outright but I suspect our chances of a localisation are pretty narrow - regardless of how this demo does.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I really don't think they would. Vanillaware is very, very small (the entire development budget for Dragon's Crown was just over $1m) and unless there are ongoing big problems with development it would be a huge waste to can it. Their games perform very strongly and consistently and their digitally released titles have enjoyed very successful shelf lives. It's been a long road for this game and stuff has changed massively, no doubt, but I just can't see it getting cancelled at this point unless the demo is genuinely very bad. Shipping an early version like this is indicative of development presently going the right way, and there's nothing right this second outside of pure speculation that indicates a content or quality problem.

$1 million budget? Have... You got a source for that? Because that sounds ludicrous.

Edit: found my own source. What the.... I don't even understand how that's possible.

Last edited:

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
can I buy the demo now? will it be available in English? why has there been like no news on this? this also feels like a great Vita title.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
$1 million budget? Have... You got a source for that? Because that sounds ludicrous.

Edit: found my own source. What the.... I don't even understand how that's possible.
Yeah, it's hard to emphasize just how small they are. That's why I sort of feel 13 sentinels is really safe. Even multiplying that budget multiple times is still safe for the numbers they usually do.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Game will do fine. Vanillaware is huge among the niche crowd, and they're a small studio so it's not like it'd take too much to break even.

They know that there audience loves phsyical goodies, so they can easily get away with this prologue thing.

The talk about the project being cancelled and the studio folding is a bit ludicrous, they just had another cash injection recently with DC Pro.

Oct 31, 2017
Nope, I don't think they would cancel it: VW is a very small dev and they like to take their time. I feel this game's development is pocket change for Atlus and even them take their time with their own teams ! :P

I would get the demo if it was available digitally in Europe (or get the retail version for 20€).

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems the game is facing enough production problems (for what is basically a glorified VN?....how is that even possible?) that failing to get any traction with this release may led to a cancellation.

It definetly sounds like they are scavenging from whatever money they can fool out of people before pulling out the plug.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Vanillaware games. I've been replaying Dragon's crown and Odin Sphere this week and was wondering why they've taken so long to make a new game.

Forgot this was announced. Had no idea it was a visual novel. That fucking sucks.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible news that this is a visual novel from Vanillaware and Atlus. Hyped through the roof and I would pay for this demo in a heartbeat