• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 3, 2019
HEH
Have you ever heard of an RPG Maker game called OneShot? They gave the game a whole other campaign for free after the game's release the game as a whole is superbly good and truly unique. Don't avatar quote me.

Hollow Knight is really good, true, but many indies have a great amount of love and quality poured into them, too. Hyper Light Drifter, Shovel Knight, and other larger indie titles are just as polished and well regarded as Hollow Knight and stand up there with it. Silksong is going to be special, though, for sure.
6734.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Different genres and all, but indie games like Cuphead, Inside, Minecraft (used to be an indie, after all) or Rocket League have at least as much polish and quality that Hollow Knight has. Hollow Knight is a great game but it's nowhere near an untouchable masterpiece that no other indie ever came close to.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Ori has higher production values (if we're talking budget) than HK, but I realise that it being funded and published by Microsoft might make it exempt from the indie category in some people's eyes. There's also Cuphead.

But what about games like The Witness, The Talos Principle, QUBE2 etc - they have extremely high production values for indie games and 3D no less.

But then it's not fair to discount games like FEZ or Celeste, which have insanely high production values which are ignored by some due to their pixel art style. But every single pixel has been carefully hand-placed, the sound design and music better than most AAA games.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Hollow Knight is great.

There are indie games that are many times better. There have been indie games that are many times better released since Hollow Knight.

Really looking forward to the sequel.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
it's prolly my favorite single player indie as well (rocket league is incredible for the mp side) so i hope somebody can step up cuz i want to play their game. can't wait for silk song. minecraft probably belongs in the conversation as well.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On an artisitc and gameplay level Ori and the Blind Forest surpasses it and the sequel will as well no doubt. (For me anyway)

Cuphead is another. And Inside. Fuck, i could go on and on.

Return of the Obra Dinn
Journey
Issac
Undertale
The Stanley Parable
Hotline Miami

I will stop there.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hotline Miami, Rocket League, Crosscode, Baba is You, Celeste, Shovel Knight, Undertale, Ori, The Witness, Cave Story, Dead Cells...

You know what, why am I even listing games? This topic is ridiculous. OP, your love of Hollow Knight is great, but the question is immediately insulting to basically all other indie devs. If it's your favorite, cool. Implying that it's some kind of universal alpha and that no other indie can touch its "quality" is insane.

source.gif

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
For god sake...what's with all the hyperbolic threads on era lately? "This is the greatest intro song/game/music/ of all time"

Hollow Knight is great, I don't love it as much as some in era do but its a fantastic title all round with great art, animations design and music. The devs clearly have a huge amount of talent and i'm looking forward to the next title but there are a lot of other games before and after that are also great made by talented people that are also of high quality, Hollow Knight is not an some inaccessible pedestal.

Hollow Knight is absolutely wonderful, but of course other indie-developed games will approach or have already approached its quality.

Maybe it's just a fandom thing in general, but it seems like gamers in particular are incredibly eager to use the "of all time" superlative. Chill out with that, it's kinda silly.
I realize a lot of folks love the game, but the hyperbole surrounding Hollow Knight is a bit much. It's a great title, but there are indie titles released each year that are of equal quality.
Hotline Miami, Rocket League, Crosscode, Baba is You, Celeste, Shovel Knight, Undertale, Ori, The Witness, Cave Story, Dead Cells...

You know what, why am I even listing games? This topic is ridiculous. OP, your love of Hollow Knight is great, but the question is immediately insulting to basically all other indie devs. If it's your favorite, cool. Implying that it's some kind of universal alpha and that no other indie can touch its "quality" is insane.

These people understand.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The hyperbole surrounding this game is so weird. It's a good game but it doesn't stand out to me any more than many other brilliant games.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I love HK. One of my favourite games, for sure.

But there certainly have been and will be games indie games I love just as much.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes op it's called shovel knight. Cheaper, multiple expansions, skill based game play, varied world, bosses, music.

People are more than welcome to think shovel knight is better. I couldn't disagree more, but hey opinions.

However, how is shovel knight cheaper lol? It costs $25 and is notably shorter than hollow knight at $15.

I'd also personally argue HK does almost all of those things you listed(varied world, bosses, music) better than SK. Gameplay is a bit harder to directly compare to one another though.

HK isn't the be all end all, and feels like when people start talking about Bloodborne. They're good games, but to keep them in this super high pedastal is odd to me.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Bit of a daft thread to be honest. The implication that Hollow Knight is the greatest indie game yet made is ridiculous as the term indie game is so broad as to be pretty much pointless. Just as Spelunky is an indie game so is Star Citizen!

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight is just so far away and above from its indie brethren that it's just not a fair comparison for the Guacamelees and Shovel Knights of the world.

Hollow Knight has a level of polish that can only be comparable to Nintendo when they're at their absolute best. The more time passes the more I start thinking that it's a genuine GOAT candidate and probably the best game of this gen alongside Bloodborne and a few other options.

Can't wait for Silk Song.

I agree - I have never, ever, seen this quality from an indie dev. I doubt we will see Hollow knight quality from other many indie devs in the future Hollow Knight is comparable to Nintendos BEST stuff in pretty much every area - which is frankly just astonishing

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hollow Knight is a fantastic game and I am looking forward to Silksong, but the sheer ridiculous hyperbole it attracts does it and the other quality indie games in its class a huge disservice.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
In my view, not really. I consider hollow knight a genuine masterpiece - I can find other great games but I doubt I'll ever or at least take a dew years to stumble upon another masterpiece like it. But hey silksong might prove me wrong from the getgo which I'd love to see :)

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
You never know. HK is currently at the top for me but who knows what comes tomorrow?
Silksong really can't come soon enough...

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For god sake...what's with all the hyperbolic threads on era lately? "This is the greatest intro song/game/music/ of all time"
I quite like them, because they always turn into pages of "No, THIS is the best one". They're better recommendation threads than actual recommendation threads.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game, but yes, and some indie games already have. The Witness is the best indie game that I have played, and is one of the best overall games I've ever played.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I see a couple of people put respect on the La Mulana name. We haven't strayed as far from Mother's light as I feared.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I quite like them, because they always turn into pages of "No, THIS is the best one". They're better recommendation threads than actual recommendation threads.
Ha! Yes I guess that is one way of looking at it lol. I must admit on the music ones I have found great tracks from games I don't really have any interest in so you have a point XD

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The way you wrote this OP, I get the vibe you don't really play that many indie games. Hollow Knight is one of many fantastically produced games out there.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah sure. Even if you feel that strongly about it OP you gotta believe that it is always possible, espeically considering Hollow Knight itself was an indie game that came out of nowhere.

Dude I have no idea.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tons of indie games have touched and surpassed hollow knight by about every metric in every category and will continue to do so until they stop making games.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
While it's an apple's and oranges comparison I would say that rocket league is way better than hollow knight.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cup head, Shovel Knight, Enter the Gungeon, Dead Cells, and SteamWorld Dig 2 just to name a few.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
The real scary thing is when you come to this thread ready to find some gems from the people upset in this thread. Then you realize you've played all the games suggested already. :/

Bear_Raccoon

Apr 11, 2019
I love Hollow Knight, but there are plenty of indie games I'd put above it.

I think my favourite is Gunpoint, which barely gets mentioned - it's fantastic, everyone should play it

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
If they achieved it, surely some other dev can do the same or top it. Never say never.

I do know that HK completely skewed my expectations of price versus content in indie games.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Since OP is pushing his opinion as fact we should put forth mass opinion
games like Celeste, Obra Dinn, Undertale etc have a higher metascore

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Do Cuphead and Ori count?

Came here to ask this. Do you guys consider Cuphead and Ori indies or first-party titles?

Because if so, Ori in particular has way better and more varied environments and the platforming is just more fluid and fun. Also the game has better music but that's subject to personal taste.

In terms of combat and longevity, though, Hollow Knight is the bigger game.

I think I will always be partial to Ori in the end.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
Didn't play HK but I seriously doubt it's more polished than Inside. That game is perfect in all aspects

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight is a masterpiece, but I don't think it's an unreachable bar for the rest of indies. It's one of the best games of all time though so it might take a while.

Jan 21, 2019
This is gonna sound so fucking stupid, but Hollow Knight is the Dark Souls of indie games.

I know I know, hear me out.

Many people will remember the moment they finished dark souls and thought, well fuck, now I'm spoiled, and the subsequent months and maybe years of following other games were always accompanied by the thought, this game looks cool, but it's not Dark Souls. Not even dark souls 2 was dark souls.
So Hollow Knight is the same, I look at other indie games that look awesome, like Indivisible and think: this game looks awesome, but it's just not Hollow Knight.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Not to shit on HK's quality, but I think the game's price has influenced such hyperbolic opinions more than a little. HK's bang for buck value is crazy and frankly unprecedented. Lack of exaggerated hype and expectations prior to launch also must have fueled people's enthusiasms compared to other indies that promised something way too hard to maintain.

HK is good and an absolute steal at that price, but I don't see myself returning to the game very often.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But Shovel Knight is a much better game and Hollow Knight doesn't come anywhere close to Celeste even if we're only talking about indie games released on the Switch in 2018. There's no reason to throw out such over the top, hyperbolic statements that effectively serve the purpose of devaluing other titles. Fanboy rhetoric like this is unneeded and helps no one