• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will MK8 remains the Switch’s top selling title in 2021??

• Yes

Votes: 143 49.7%
  • No

Votes: 145 50.3%

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2020
MK8
33.41m LTD of which 4.43m sold in the December quarter

AC
31.18m LTD of which 5.14m sold in the December quarter

So MK8 has a 2.23m unit lead. My preliminary guess is MK8 sells 7.00m units in calendar 2021 while AC sells 6.00m-8.00m. In either scenario, AC doesn't close the >2m gap - and I don't think the ~40% AC attach rate is sustainable.

So MK8 will hold the crown.

Your turn.

EDIT: Please include your MK8 vs. AC forecast for fun in the thread.

EDIT 2: Mods changed the poll question - please make sure your vote is what you want it to be.

Last edited:

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
100% yes. It probably already has or has come incredibly close to doing so. MK8 was included with a bunch of Switches last year right? I don't think those copies are being included

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The question in the poll is the reverse of what the title ask

Animal Crossing absolutely will beat MK8 like in 3 or 4 months

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol had to change my vote. Voted yes initially, then I realized the poll question isn't the same as the one in the title

OP
OP
VashTheStampede
Jul 14, 2020
The question in the poll is the reverse of what the title ask

Animal Crossing absolutely will beat MK8 like in 3 or 4 months

How does this keep happening?

lol had to change my vote. Voted yes initially, then I realized the poll question isn't the same as the one in the title

Only those with reading comprehension can participate.

OP
OP
VashTheStampede
Jul 14, 2020
100% yes. It probably already has or has come incredibly close to doing so. MK8 was included with a bunch of Switches last year right? I don't think those copies are being included

Your answer is confusing. We have the numbers up until December 31. They are only a month old - how could AC already over take MK8?

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
No (which means yes in the poll). I think they'll be pretty much even in Q4 (perhaps a few hundred thousands ahead for AC), and then Mario Kart will slowly start performing slightly better than AC.

They'll be very close, perhaps even less than a million apart, but I still think Mario Kart will still be ahead in the long run.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I think yes, but I'm honestly shocked at how well MK8DX is still selling. It's gonna keep it way closer for way longer than I'd have ever anticipated

EDIT: You had one job OP, but you just had to go and make an awful poll

Qubie

Oct 25, 2017
For reference
iW77wNF.png

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
lol @ the question in the thread title being the opposite way round in the poll.

Good test to see who actually reads things I suppose! :P

Anyway, I hope so, I'm voting for <3 Animal Crossing. <3

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
MK8 had more sales last year than the previous, so it's on a weird trajectory. Obviously both are going to continue to be huge sellers, but I think AC might slow down faster than MK8 does. At the same I also think that depends on what kind of update/DLC support AC gets. If there's substantial 2.0+ updates this year, I would think demand might increase enough to overtake MK8.

...but if MK8 gets an unexpected update...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Mario Kart's legs will last longer, assuming Mario Kart 9 doesn't happen (though Animal Crossing will also have great legs, I think Mario Kart is just that strong). So maybe Animal Crossing catches it and then eventually Mario Kart sneaks back ahead in the long run.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
No game can compete with Mario Kart legs. Animal Crossing has great legs too, but it can't compete long-term with MK. It's not selling THAT much better even now.

Dec 2, 2020
31 million in 3 quarters on a single console... holy fuck. Is that the fastest selling exclusive ever?

I still think MK8D will end up beating it as it appeals to a larger audience imo especially as more PS/Xbox players pick up a Switch as a second console.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
31 million in 3 quarters on a single console... holy fuck. Is that the fastest selling exclusive ever?

I still think MK8D will end up beating it as it appeals to a larger audience imo especially as more PS/Xbox players pick up a Switch as a second console.
I think the game is close to be the first overall, third and first in the first year.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart has the advantage of millions of sales from the yearly Black Friday bundles. Otherwise, Animal Crossing may already be in front.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
none of you little scared babies will play me in mario kart so my answer is probably

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
OP why is the poll reverse of the title

and no, Animal Crossing will not beat Mario Kart, unless Mario Kart 10 comes out this year

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i don't think so. MK8 seems to sell more each year and AC isn't going to do launch numbers again.

if MK8 keeps reducing the difference before AC can catch up and ends up selling close to the same, then it's over.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the era tradition of poll questions being different than the question in the thread title continues

and yes, animal crossing is gonna pass mk8

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I think the general trajectory of MK8D vs ACNH will be very like BOTW vs Pokemon or SSBU

The newer title has a spectacular launch that makes it seem like it's goign to catch up to the older, but more consistent legs will result in the older title eventually winning out in the end

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I think animal crossing will top at 38-40m. Mario Kart will continue selling for years and years, probably ending at 50-60m depending on how many years the Switch has left.