• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'd like to see some wilder takes on it. Like, with the gun stuff P5 added, I could see a first-person VR game where the dungeon crawling is a mix of FPS and controlling/summoning Personas with buttons and hand movements (and maybe even optional voice control).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I feel like quite a few Japanese companies already do, as this thread highlights. I'm assuming you are probably meaning like major AAA companies even if you don't say that, which I doubt. I don't think the social link, Waifu/husbando stuff translates well to mainstream western cultures

Oct 26, 2017
Three Houses was obviously heavily influenced by Persona.

I would guess the Persona team is making a Persona clone right now.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did not know that!

I agree with your last point as well, N0 is very underrated but also rather hard to recommend.
Yeah but compared to the original World it's super accessible lol...

Kind of disappointed with that because it's so easy to score a super Mega Digimon within a few hours while in the original you had to work for an Ultimate.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
We've had plenty, and they've all for the most part performed decently in terms of sales, even when not good.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This is relevant to my interests.

Please tell me everyone is 18 or over.

I don't think they actually do the deed, rather it's a "process" that involves science...anyway it's about as shallow as a puddle on a runway, do not recommend to get that Persona fix. Cold Steel is the closest in concept, followed by Tokyo Xanadu.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
A better question is, when are we going to get back to Japanese RPG releases that aren't Persona clones.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
People sold me Danganronpa as "imagine Persona X Ace Attorney"

And I said "I like those things"

I hate Danganronpa.

Danganronpa definitely has some visual and UI similarities to Persona, could probably argue some musical influence too. And DR has social links, even if they're not quite as integral to the gameplay as Persona (and largely impossible to get too deep into until the postgame).

I definitely wouldn't really describe it as a Persona-style game, though, since their core gameplay is totally different (dungeon crawling and SMT combat versus detective and courtroom gameplay). I've always just thought of DR as an Ace Attorney or standard adventure game where, instead of just pressing a button to present evidence, you have to perform action or twitch gameplay. I'd sooner call it Ace Attorney X Wario Ware.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Three Houses definitely feels closest as Social Life gameplay goes.

Also that comception 2 trailer... wow, that looks really awful.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Sadly already influences too many things I am interested in. Also Cyber Sleuth isnt really Persona in structure, because I saw people mentioning it.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
i don't think any game really does the same thing as persona with the same level of success.
I've playing through cold steel 1 and half of cold steel 2 and the social and school elements are just so unpolished compared to persona—it's really not the same thing imo

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
From what I can gleam most devs only pick out S.links/character interaction bits from persona games. Its not really the full social sim experience that the slow pacing of P3-5 enables; days doing random shit like fishing, watching a movie, just hanging out or mundane things like teachers asking questions and stuff like that which is really good for the atmosphere.

I'd rather a clone goes the whole way than just getting small bits out like we've seen in stuff like FE but idk who can go the whole way

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Are you sure you are not thinking of Fire Emblem Fates ?

lmao
Oh my god don't remind me, they tried to redo the mechanic that people like from Awakening only for it to become one of the worst aspects of the game: instead of coming from a bad future, the couple after getting S rank decide to have a kid, spend like 10 months in a dimension where times goes faster, give birth and leave the kid because it will be "safer" (note that when you recruit them either the place gets invaded or the kid goes outside) and then Corrin can even marry the kid

Also, shout outs to Azura who will always have two kids meaning she decided to get a second child and going trough the whole process again and for some reason decided to have them in separates dimensions not growing together probably because she's a shit parent

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The newest Sakura Wars is kind of a similar to Persona in the sense that you build relationships through conversation in ways akin to a visual novel but you navigate 3D areas.