• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. Stop the resolution wars next gen and focus on frame rates. 8K isn't something I'm excited about really

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
I'm not spreading misinformation and I don't need to research that Red Dead 2 doesn't run at 60fps because I own it on the X and it is 30fps with some dips in cutscenes and in some heated battles. My argument wasn't solely about resolution either but about frame rate, which I'll take a solid 60fps over native 4K any day of the week. With 8k, there is no way we are seeing something AAA at 60fps on next gen with the bells and whistles like ray tracing that is being touted.
We can agree then that 4K 60 FPS is very difficult on XB1X and Pro. I even doubt that 4K 60 will be the norm next gen. 8K in AAA games is a far off dream for probably 2030 consoles but even then 8K imo is a waste of resources.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I read somewhere that there is a BIG difference in 4k being upscaled to 8K...in comparison to what we have seen with 1080p content upscaled to 4k display.

So that gets me juiced enough for now.

But also the fact that ASTC 3.0 should be available soon and that it supports 8k over the air channels. Well, we'll have way more 8k tvs for sale...and that should help with prices.

I'm hoping to get a 8K TV when I get my PS5. I would use it for

8K BluRay movies
Rewatch certain 4K BluRay movies, upscaled this time.

Play launch PS5 games, upscaled to 8K. I think there will be a few 8K native games that are not graphics intensive. Like we had with 1080p games on the PS3 launch. Also maybe certain sports games will play in 8k...like how NBA The Inside and NBA 2k were 1080p at launch... then later NBA 2k supported 4k native when the Pro was first available.

Anyway we'll see. I don't think there will be an affordable 8K OLED, like I would want at the PS5 launch... but I wouldn't mind getting a TCL 8K for a year.

Yes, I'm an optimist. :D

SUPARNOVAX

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Naw, some peeps here can't even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Gaming doesn't need 8K anytime soon. We need beefier hardware for 4K 60fps on high/ultra settings equivalent to PC configurations.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people obsessed with this stuff ever get tired of running on the treadmill? You'll get 8K and immediately start wanting 16K or whatever the next invention from tech companies trying to make money will be.

I find the whole thing so bizarre. Especially when it's so inconsequential as to whether the game you're playing is actually any good.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Do people obsessed with this stuff ever get tired of running on the treadmill? You'll get 8K and immediately start wanting 16K or whatever the next invention from tech companies trying to make money will be.

I find the whole thing so bizarre. Especially when it's so inconsequential as to whether the game you're playing is actually any good.

The entire purpose of the human race is to continually create technology that is better than the last. Nothing bizarre about it.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I can see 8K televisions being in the state 4K was a few years ago by near the end of the PS5 and Xbox 4 life cycle

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Definitely not available at launch, but can't say mid gen, the way tech moves can be pretty blinding. With 5g out of no where wont be surprised TVs makers don't jump on the wagon pretty soon.
Why do I get a feeling a thread like this was made before the launch of PS4one and four years later we get the pro and xbx

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

8k will be on reaching point now it seems.

PS.
Even scientists demand better framerate.

But many of us still buy bullshit excuse that named "30fps".

Really?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Both of you are incorrect. You guys should do some research before you go spreading misinformation.
Many AAA XB1X games are rendered at 4K Native.
RDR2, Forza 7, Forza Horizon 3 & 4, Far Cry 5, Hitman GOTY, Gears of War 4, Destiny 2 and many other AAA games reach 4K Native.
Some of the games that aren't Native 4K like the Division use a Dynamic resolution and according to DF the Division runs at full 4K the vast majority of the time and they have only seen it drop from Native 4K once during their play through.
Some games on XB1X use dynamic resolution to achieve 4K but that is superior to the blurry checkerboard rendering FernandoRocker mentioned.

As for 8K, don't think you'll see any AAA games reach this resolution but maybe a ton of smaller Arcade style or indie games can render at 8K Next Gen. Personally I think 8K would be a waste of resources when 4K is very sharp and basically eliminates jaggies for the most part.

If you think those indie devs are going to push out 8K support for a small portion of people, when they have got countless other more crucial area to focus their resources on, something is wrong with you.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
In a generation that is only just catching up to 4K now, I doubt there will be a big push for it off the bat. The same happened with 1080p, where most console games were still 720p as a sweet spot, with only undemanding games that could do 1080p. There are a handful of pure 4K games and checker board rendered 4K games, but they only came after full hardware revisions.

In the case of PC, sure if you have a monster PC with Dual 2080Tis this could be possible, but for the mainstream don't bet on it.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
my bad old eyes can't even tell the difference between a 1080 and 1440 rez phone, let alone 4K vs 8K at less than 65 inches

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
8k is a pointless upgrade that the tv companies will push the hell out of and will fail to gain any traction. Absolutely, utterly pointless, and a waste of resources and effort.

Oct 30, 2017
goddamn right, and anyone who has seen a decent 8K TV with naive 8K content will tell you the same. Depending on screen size, you feel like you're looking through a window. It looks fantastic at large screen sizes in particular, where pixel density and pixel size will always be a struggling battle.

These threads about upcoming technology always go the same way. There is always that same segment of people whining as if they believe they can stop the advancement of tech with their fears and concern trolling. Those folks are swimming against a current that has always been and will always be stronger than them.

We saw these same kinds of comments when 1080p showed up on the scene. Popular hot takes:
  • "There isn't even any 1080p content! They will only broadcast at 720p and 1080i so why bother?"
  • "People won't see the difference anyway."
  • "Here, have a look at this seating chart. It proves you can't even tell the difference if you sit this far away from the screen!"
  • "X is good enough."
  • "X will be too expensive. Look at these prices!"

Notice any similarities? Technological advancement won't stop and they shouldn't stop just because some of you are comfortable and quietly worried about feeling like you need to spend more money (lest you feel some sort of inferiority about not having the max?) or otherwise feel like what we have now is "good enough" for...reasons.

8K's footprint will only grow over the next decade, will become affordable (as all other tech and resolutions that have come before it) and it will replace 4K like 1080p did 720p before it. Most content for at least the last several years has been filmed in 8K or higher resolutions so it's just a matter of when the inflection point is where transition becomes more obvious. That's the bottom of it. The rest is how salty we get over having to accept that reality. Especially for those who bought into 4K thinking they'd be on top of the game for a decade (or don't want to be bothered thinking about buying their favorite movies yet again). And there will be more after 8K sooner or later. Because that's how this works.

I recommend embracing the future whenever a discussion about present tech vs future tech comes up. The former is always on the losing side of history. Every time.

yeah, super audio CD was a huge success, wasn't it? the only thing that happens "every time" is that eventually people stop caring about infinitely small quality changes.

i've seen a bunch of 8K TVs running native content. it's cool if you stand up close but the vast majority of people will not give a shit in a living room environment, and there is no chance of a significant number of studios shifting their production workflows to accommodate it in the next decade.

and that's before we even get into games, where there are a million obvious areas of improvement to go down before burning all your GPU power on a resolution difference that very few people will ever even notice.

and i just want to highlight this bit because it shows that you're not really in touch with reality:

8K's footprint will only grow over the next decade, will become affordable (as all other tech and resolutions that have come before it) and it will replace 4K like 1080p did 720p before it. Most content for at least the last several years has been filmed in 8K or higher resolutions so it's just a matter of when the inflection point is where transition becomes more obvious. That's the bottom of it.

this is extremely untrue. the industry standard digital cinema camera records at sub-3K resolution with a view to producing 2K masters. not many movies are shot in 4K even (unless you count 35mm film scans), and the chance of most major studios moving to 8K as a standard in the near-to-mid future is zero. most 4K blu-rays just output a 1080p image at higher bitrates with HDR, which shows you how important most people consider pure resolution to be.

you might get netflix doing it as a publicity stunt before anyone else, but the equipment and workflows just aren't there yet. one of the closest things to a mainstream movie being shot in 8K is infinity war/endgame, which used digital IMAX cameras based on the alexa 65, which is roughly 6K and about as practical for regular movies as 65mm cameras were back in the day. james gunn used an 8K RED camera for guardians vol 2, too, but even that was mastered in 2K.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for those 8k games with post processing that softens the image so much it makes them look like 1080p.

A total waste of resources

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
LOL, OP is wat ahead of his time. We need to be happy if everything runs at native 4K 30 fps next gen.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't getting 8k games, other than maybe some indie or last gen stuff. They only said it since hdmi 2.1 supports it, meaning they could technically output in 8k.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
How the hell has this thread made it to 7 pages?

Simple answer. HELL NO.

You shouldn't have bought a crappy early 4k model and definitely shouldn't get a crappy early 8k model. Get a good 4k OLED screen now and be happy with that for at least 5-8 years.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add Raytracing into the mix and you won't have 8k for a long-ass time.

TVs will come, but content (games)? Hah.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
We didn't *really* get 4k this gen, so at best you can hope for really good looking top shelf games in native 4k next gen.

And maybe some indy stuff in 8k, maybe.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine the increase when jumping from 128k to 256k, probably a couple gens off, but that's a crazy amount of pixels!

Guess not as crazy as the jump from 512k to 1024k (there you have like a 512k jump vs the measly 4k jump from 4k->8k), but still, quite a lot!

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Imagine the increase when jumping from 128k to 256k, probably a couple gens off, but that's a crazy amount of pixels!

Guess not as crazy as the jump from 512k to 1024k (there you have like a 512k jump vs the measly 4k jump from 4k->8k), but still, quite a lot!

Call me crazy but I just don't see it happening. There must be a limit to the number of pixels you can physically squeeze into a given space, and a limit to the difference it makes to your eyes.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Jumping the gun a little, lol. Why would we even want 8K games? Almost nobody will own an 8K TV by the time the next gen arrives. There are bigger priorities than sheer resolution, like performance, AI, environmental scale and complexity... Wouldn't it be better for developers to spend their resources on those things, rather than making ultra high res assets?

Also, why don't we wait until 4K with a rock solid 60fps is the industry standard before worrying about 8K?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

8k will be on reaching point now it seems.

This makes the same bad assumptions that most people do when claiming that higher resolutions are no longer necessary -just as we heard when 4K was new- that there is no point in increased resolution unless you can discern individual pixels on the display.
This is obviously flawed: on an ideal display, you would never be able to see pixels. The distances on most of the charts/guides out there are often half of what they should be.

Actual studies have shown that the point where image "realness" peaks is around 100 pixels per degree. It is not the upper limit, but the point where significantly diminishing returns kick in.
As such, there should still be a benefit to 8K displays if you have large displays or sit close to your display.
I really don't see a need for anything beyond 8K outside of VR though. I doubt it would even be necessary with projectors when you factor in the distance you have to sit for a comfortable field of view.

Here's the chart I produced based on 100 PPD
viewingdistancescienckxkvu.png

Note that anything in-between two values favors the higher resolution, not the lower one.
If you have a 75″ display and sit some where in-between 1.05m and 2.39m, you would benefit from 8K - even if you would not receive the full benefit of that resolution.

yeah, super audio CD was a huge success, wasn't it? the only thing that happens "every time" is that eventually people stop caring about infinitely small quality changes.
That wasn't even about "infinitely small changes".
SACD and pretty much all other "high res" audio is a scam. CD-quality audio already covers the entire range of human hearing.
But sometimes you get high quality remasters released on other formats, and people confuse the mastering with the audio format when they compare it against their old CD (different master).

The one thing which has an audible difference is 16-bit vs 24-bit audio.
With playback devices at high volumes, there is an audible difference, but only in that there is less "hiss" in the background.
The difference it makes with properly mastered audio tracks is almost zero. I'd prefer 24-bit audio over 16-bit if I have the option, as it can avoid some issues with improper mastering, but I won't pay extra for it.

The one advantage SACD, DVD-Audio, and Blu-ray Audio tracks have is that they are offered in multi-channel formats.
But most people don't seem to care for surround sound with music.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TV manufacturers will easily make 8K TVs look mainstream in the next couple of years because they need to keep sales going and customers being sheeple that they are, will line up to buy 8K TVs and replace their perfectly fine 4K sets.

Problem is, gaming content wont be ready for 8K, so we'll be stuck with 4K consoles but only 8K tvs on the market.

Just like we played Xbox 360 on 1080p TVs, PS4 on 4K TVs, and then PS5 on 8K TVs. I really wish that perfect pixel scaling in TVs became mandatory so we wouldn't have to suffer horrible upscaling ever again.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
If you think those indie devs are going to push out 8K support for a small portion of people, when they have got countless other more crucial area to focus their resources on, something is wrong with you.
What I mean by that is that only very simple games will be able to support 8K. I think its obvious for everyone here that an actual indie dev with a tiny budget probably won't bother.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
TV manufacturers will easily make 8K TVs look mainstream in the next couple of years because they need to keep sales going and customers being sheeple that they are, will line up to buy 8K TVs and replace their perfectly fine 4K sets.

Problem is, gaming content wont be ready for 8K, so we'll be stuck with 4K consoles but only 8K tvs on the market.

Just like we played Xbox 360 on 1080p TVs, PS4 on 4K TVs, and then PS5 on 8K TVs. I really wish that perfect pixel scaling in TVs became mandatory so we wouldn't have to suffer horrible upscaling ever again.

Recent history suggests that this is not a foregone conclusion. Remember that year Sony spent most of their E3 conference talking about stereo 3D because it was the next big thing in TVs? Flash forward to today, and everyone has given up on it. And unlike 8K, there was actually 3D content available.

One of the interesting issues around 8K is that you also have companies trying to develop MicroLED panels as the next big thing. As it stands today, pixel density and per-pixel costs are big challenges for MicroLED, making 8K panels much further off than 4K ones. So what happens if MicroLED TVs come along offering OLED black levels with far higher brightnesses and no ABL or burn-in risk, but they are only commercially viable in 4K resolution? If I had to decide between that and 8k on existing panel types, I know which one I'd pick.

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
I was a 4k early buyer, and I'm pretty much ready for an upgrade, but Im waiting on psv and honestly I'm mostly waiting for Final Fantasy 7 remake in 8k.

I'm willing to wait that long until I get the ps5 and a brand new tv.

But do you think we will have the ideal 8k tvs by then?

I doubt the consoles themselves will be ready for 8k.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
I already have his.

Well, reactions seem already dire
I thought for sure next gen was 8k for sure.

Lol Ill be honest I hardly go into the psv or next gen threads.

Upgrade once HDMI 2.1 becomes standard on 4K TVs. That is going to give you a lot more benefit next gen than 8K.