• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
32 GB Wil probably become the "optimal" in specs list meant for 4k and using insane textures while 16 gb will be "recommended" for more normal settings.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Most retail machines still come with 8GB system ram too. Hell I refuse to upgrade my 2015mbp with 8gb ram because Apple just introduced a new base model in 2020 with...8GB system ram. We've been stuck too long

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You can get 16 GB DDR4 3200 mhz memory for like $60 these days.

Yup.
There is pretty much no reason for someone to not be at 16GB these days.

In my experience multiplatform games at ultra/very high settings use up to 13gb of ddr4 at the high-end (BF5)

But most hover around 9-10gb usage.

To be honest I can't remember the last time a game that used less than 8gb.

Thats mostly caching not actually using the 13GB of RAM.
Most current games wont have any penalty running on 8GB of RAM.
I do think as we go through the generation 16GB of RAM will become the defacto ram requirement.

The shift i see being really impactful is an I/O spec being listed for Rec and Ideal specifications.
Right now its still xxxGB of storage, in future I see them saying xxxGB of SSD storage to reach 1440p60.

Devs are smart though, chances are they will be working on getting their engines much more efficient and MS is bringing DirectStorage to Windows so a 32GB Ram spec isnt likely to actually become a thing this generation.

DirectStorage
– DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

Utherellus

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I think as long as we upgrade to 20-24GB we are good for the rest of 7 years

There will be games with 16GB ram usage. There already is. Star Citizen. That game is using 97% of my 16GB ram and crashes if I disable pagefile on my SSD.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the replies! For some reason, RAM felt like kind of a "solved problem" to me. But that might just be because i don't play the latest and greatest games on my PC (i do that on the console), so my mid range hardware is always just sufficient enough.
Also, because it feels like Laptops had 16gigs of ram for almost 10 years now ...

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
RAM in gaming is mainly used to load UHD assets and massive geometry, would that (broadly) be correct? If so, 32gb is a daaaaamn lot of RAM...

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I think having only 16GB will force you to close everything before playing most SEX and PS5-grade games, because browsers and sites are heavier and heavier (i almost always have 3GB+ memory eaten by my web browsers).

On personal level, i am with the 256GB kit, but that's because of my hatred for cloud on home solutions and my specific needs... so yeah don't take my case in count, but i truly believe that 32GB will bring more flexibility, and you can stop thinking on what is open when you start your game.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
The transfer from system ram to vram is one of the biggest bottle necks. More VRAM is actually preferable to more system ram. If you have the money to spend, buy a card with a lot of VRAM first.

I would have thought getting the data from the hard drive to RAM would be the bigger bottleneck. Is faster DDR5 the only way to alleviate that bottleneck in the near future?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have thought getting the data from the hard drive to RAM would be the bigger bottleneck. Is faster DDR5 the only way to alleviate that bottleneck in the near future?

Data from the drive to system RAM is the biggest bottle neck, but transfer from system ram to vram isn't much better. Since both have to occur with a circular buffer on PC, it's like a double penalty.

The solution is thicker busses. This is the "9 women can't have a baby in 1 month" problem, but the flip side is "9 women can have 9 babies in 9 months." PCI-e 4.0 video cards will have 16 lanes to transfer with as opposed to the current 8. Slower transfer, but more per transfer to offset the bottleneck. Hence the need for more VRAM. Instead of a tiny amount of VRAM being filled frequently with small amounts of data, a large amount of VRAM being filled with infrequently with a large amount of data.

consoles don't have to transfer from system ram to vram, that concept doesn't exist. So the penalty from reading from drive to ram is much lessened. So they can get away with less ram, as their circular buffers can be smaller. The downside is, however, if you ever DO need to store something huge in VRAM on a console, well, you outright have less ram available. That's why console makers right now are making a huge deal about streaming, because they're trying their hardest to stretch less ram further. But ultimately, what you are immediately using still needs to fit into ram. SSDs and such are not replacements for RAM.

As noted earlier, if your travel speed exceeds the streaming transfer rate, you'll see stutter or outright pauses in your game. So right now, with next gen consoles, the assumption is with the current (UE5 demo) level of fedility, the amount of data they are transferring at the speed a player would traverse is good enough (and it appears to be so). But if, like, the amount of data they wanted to stream doubled, they'd be in big trouble. With a fatter circular buffer, like the solution on PC would be, that wouldn't be as much as a problem, as it's already inherently transferring much more data infrequently.

One thing to say, though: raytracing, in the future, by the nature of physically simulating many of the things you need buffers to store values for in conventional forward rendering, will massively reduce the size of assets in the future. Not this upcoming next-generation, but probably next-next generation, once most things are raytraced rather than only some things being raytraced. We're in the N64 days of raytracing. Once we hit original xbox levels, everything will change.

Last edited:

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
IMO 16 GB is both the minimum and recommended amount to buy right now, but if you have $100 to spare and can't put it towards a better something else then sure why not 32.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm perfectly fine with 16GB for now, but I'll aim for 32 for my Zen 5 build in 2021.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it won't be recommended until ddr6 is a thing and we don't even have ddr5 released yet.

So yeah if you're doing a build now just stick with 16gb and save yourself $80.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Maybe by end of gen it'll be recommended but 16gb will just fine for like 95% of stuff, there isn't much that regular consumers do that touches 16gb of ram including gaming.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I'm on 32GB and on typical use it never really goes over 16 really. Only if I have UE4 open with Maya, Photoshop, etc at the same time maybe :P

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No but VRAM requirements are about to start increasing.

That said, look at how VRAM requirements expanded this gen. At the beginning of this gen, having 3 GB of VRAM was a lot. Today, 11 GB of VRAM isn't too uncommon, a $500 1080ti can hit that. Meanwhile, you can currently get a card with like 6GB of VRAM, double what was "a lot" at the start of the generation, for like $150. These modern consoles are launching with roughly around the same ballpark as current cards. It shouldn't be long before you start seeing 19, 24, 28, etc GB of VRAM for not-insane prices. As in, within the $1000 range, as opposed to $3000-4000 range.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
When people have 16 GB of system ram, they still have more ram than console owners. Consoles don't split ram between system and graphics core, that 16 gb is both system ram AND VRAM. PC GPUs typically have between 6 and 11 gb of VRAM separately these days. If you have 16 GB of system ram, and like a 1080ti, you have 27 GB of ram total, which will last you very long.

Now, splitting ram like this has perks and draw backs. The main perk is you naturally have more ram, the draw back is the obvious bottle neck between transfering from system ram to vram, and thus your CPU can't inspect or affect VRAM elements like textures, compiled shader binaries, etc. All things considered, if everything were equal in amount, I would actually say a unified memory structure is inherently superior, but given that PCs will have much more total ram than consoles, it becomes harder to say definitively. I would bet 16 gb system ram will be enough for the entirety of next generation.

That said, I have 128 GB of ram in my latest build, lol, so I'm good.
You cant really compare console vs pc ram. GTA 5 ran on 256mb system ram+256mb vram on xbox360/PS3.

But still 16gb ram should be enough for next 3 years..

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You cant really compare console vs pc ram. GTA 5 ran on 256mb system ram+256mb vram on xbox360/ps3

That comes down to windows, you can use a slim linux distro and get comparable ram utilization. Lowendgaming is a reddit specifically for people getting things to run on insanely low amounts of resources.

That said, you outright haven't been able to buy ram that miniscule in PC land for years and years and years now.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Today, 11 GB of VRAM isn't too uncommon, a $500 1080ti can hit that
Nvidia is stingy though. Sure, a 1080ti has 11GB, but a more capable 2080s only has 8. RAM offered doesn't scale with the raw capability of hardware.

Like for like, 500usd doesn't really represent the "common" market.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia is stingy though. Sure, a 1080ti has 11GB, but a more capable 2080s only has 8.

the 2080ti has 11 gb

that said, the 2080s isn't really that much more capable than the 1080ti. They offer roughly the same performance. You are trading vram for RT cores in that instance.

it's better to compare the 2080s to the 1080 OC, of which also had 8gb VRAM. they occupy roughly the same consumer space (i.e. one step below their flagship).

That said, Nvidia's prices went up. The 2080s is now the price that the 1080ti was, and the 2080ti is at a price more in line with what the old TitanX was at.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
No. VRAM has a bandwidth of multiple terabytes per second. Even the fastest NVMEs have a bandwidth of merely several hundred GB/s, and on a PC, there is a huge bottle neck between sending data from system ram to VRAM.

The amount of RAM is more important for streaming data in a ring buffer than speed of transfer. Consoles get a slight boost because there is no transfer penalty due to a unified memory structure.
I think read speed of my NVMe drive is 3,5GB/s, saturating PCIE3.

And GPUs normally have hundreds of gigabytes per second, with HBM2 reaching around a terabyte per second. Right?

Did you get a bit carried away, or am I misunderstanding something?

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I already have both a PC and a laptop with 32GB RAM because I need the memory for work. But right now it's not very beneficial for games.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eh, even if 32 GB of RAM does become the new standard - which seems unlikely, at least for the near future - it's pretty easy to just download some more.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
It was my standard this gen so I hope so :) I'd prefer 64 minimum this gen with all the benefits it brings cause I'll be at 128 or 256 by then at a minimum.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly it won't be recommended until ddr6 is a thing and we don't even have ddr5 released yet.

So yeah if you're doing a build now just stick with 16gb and save yourself $80.
Yup, it's basically a bad buying decision to buy more RAM right now if you have at least 16GB of RAM. Same with NVMe SSDs if you already have one at least 500GB.

Also, it's hilarious to see the RAM hoarders in here..."well you should just get 64GB of RAM, what not?" 🤣

Right

Nov 24, 2017
I ran out of ram and chrome crashed with 16g of ram the other day, I guess moving forward 64g shall be recommanded

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Eventually, but it's sure taking its time. I was building 16GB PC's 8 years ago and figured they would need more ram eventually, but it never happened. Even my newest machines have stuck with 16GB.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
When people have 16 GB of system ram, they still have more ram than console owners. Consoles don't split ram between system and graphics core, that 16 gb is both system ram AND VRAM. PC GPUs typically have between 6 and 11 gb of VRAM separately these days. If you have 16 GB of system ram, and like a 1080ti, you have 27 GB of ram total, which will last you very long.

Now, splitting ram like this has perks and draw backs. The main perk is you naturally have more ram, the draw back is the obvious bottle neck between transfering from system ram to vram, and thus your CPU can't inspect or affect VRAM elements like textures, compiled shader binaries, etc. All things considered, if everything were equal in amount, I would actually say a unified memory structure is inherently superior, but given that PCs will have much more total ram than consoles, it becomes harder to say definitively. I would bet 16 gb system ram will be enough for the entirety of next generation.

128GB of ram? Damn.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like 32GB RAM standard is about 10 years out. 16GB is still high end for most consumer computers.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It kind of already is the standard recommended for a new build, but 16gb will holds its own for some time yet.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Whenever I build my next PC it'll have 32GB RAM, but I doubt it'll be needed.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
32GB is probably a good idea if you're building a new PC now. I went with 64 for my new PC.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i think you may have recommended specs asking for 32GB ram *or* a suitably fast SSD. Without the SSD you'd want more ram for cache/buffer

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Do you think PCs will eventually have a unified memory pool? What would it take for that to happen?

Oct 27, 2017
16GB is the minimum anyone building a new gaming pc today should buy, 32GB is already the recommended to future proof yourself but that much ram won't be a requirement for a few more years.

Oct 29, 2017
Single sticks of 32GB are going to be common when DDR5 comes around and single sticks of 8GB are going to be less common, like 8GB sticks of DDR4 are the standard in the DIY market as opposed to 4GB sticks.

In 2023 you probably reach 32GB just to have dual channel.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do you think PCs will eventually have a unified memory pool? What would it take for that to happen?

iGPU APUs already do that, they use System RAM for everything.

On the highend of things....Nothing will bring us to that point.
As long as PC builders can mix and match CPUs and GPUs having a unified pool doesnt make much sense.

The GPU makers would have to sell people VRAM-less GPUs and motherboards would have to support GPU speed RAM for the system.
Or the opposite where the GPUs VRAM is used as system RAM.
Its a nightmare just thinking about it.....but it is doable, just not really practical right now.