• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I find you have to essentially double the amount of available ram that consoles have.

Will 32gb of ram become the new recommended system requirement going into the next gen of gaming for pc owners?

*I'm looking at you Microsoft Flight Simulator*

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No it will take a long time. Most games saying they require 16GB just work fine on 8GB.

Nov 8, 2017
It will increasingly over time methinks, but going much beyond 32GB for recommended seems unlikely.

Crossgen stuff will still mostly recommend 16 for the first year+ I would guess, and still work with 8.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The recommended for 16 hasn't really been around all that long yet.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't. 16gb should even be fine still since the 16gb of ram is used by both the CPU and GPU on consoles.

OP
OP
Stacey

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
In my experience multiplatform games at ultra/very high settings use up to 13gb of ddr4 at the high-end (BF5)

But most hover around 9-10gb usage.

To be honest I can't remember the last time a game that used less than 8gb.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Think it'll have to do with price range a lot, too. Currently, RAM is still rather cheap so if you do go with 32 GB over 16 GB (as I did with my last upgrade) it's not going to increase the build's overall cost much. But on a tight budget I'd still recommend 16 GB for the time being.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When people have 16 GB of system ram, they still have more ram than console owners. Consoles don't split ram between system and graphics core, that 16 gb is both system ram AND VRAM. PC GPUs typically have between 6 and 11 gb of VRAM separately these days. If you have 16 GB of system ram, and like a 1080ti, you have 27 GB of ram total, which will last you very long.

Now, splitting ram like this has perks and draw backs. The main perk is you naturally have more ram, the draw back is the obvious bottle neck between transfering from system ram to vram, and thus your CPU can't inspect or affect VRAM elements like textures, compiled shader binaries, etc. All things considered, if everything were equal in amount, I would actually say a unified memory structure is inherently superior, but given that PCs will have much more total ram than consoles, it becomes harder to say definitively. I would bet 16 gb system ram will be enough for the entirety of next generation.

That said, I have 128 GB of ram in my latest build, lol, so I'm good.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
No even today you don't actually need 16GB. So next gen 16GB will basically be the requirement.

GPUs have a lot of VRAM these days.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Probably 10-15 years away before it 16 is the minimum, 32 is recommended, and even as we start to see this shift it will take another decade to become the norm..

Nov 2, 2017
In my experience multiplatform games at ultra/very high settings use up to 13gb of ddr4 at the high-end (BF5)

Windows uses a ton more if you have more available. Just cause you see 13gb being used doesn't mean the game actually needs that.

Found a vid of 8gb vs 16gb on BFV and it seems to run pretty much the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05cJW2zDPLU

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
It's more like good to have than recommended. It's not even that much these days. Having 16gb has been pretty normal thing almost decade now.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

How did you measure that? If there is more RAM available then actually needed that gets filled up first, before stuff that isn't needed in RAM get thrown out.

So it can look like the game needs more then it actually does, if you just look at how much RAM is used.

OP
OP
Stacey

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Windows uses a ton more if you have more available. Just cause you see 13gb being used doesn't mean the game actually needs that.

Found a vid of 8gb vs 16gb on BFV and it seems to run pretty much the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05cJW2zDPLU

Is this also the case for vram?

Since upgrading my GPU I find more usage when playing the exact same games.

How did you measure that? If there is more RAM available then actually needed that gets filled up first, before stuff that isn't needed in RAM get thrown out.

So it can look like the game needs more then it actually does, if you just look at how much RAM is used.

Afterburner. For both vram and ddr4

Nov 8, 2017

There are a lot of games that just allocate whatever VRAM they can as a cache even if it doesn't need it. I remember Call of Duty doing this around the crossgen period and people freaking out that it was taking up all of their 6GB cards despite running fine on 2GB cards.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
just upgraded from 16 to 32 yesterday because I started editing 4K videos and Premiere was like "nah" on 16.

if it helps with games, that'd be a side benefit.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Higher settings on games will take up more space in the GPU, as it has to hold larger buffers for the assets and framebuffers and such. Not so much system ram, because usually at worst all you hold in system ram is pointers to the locations of those items in vram.

EDIT: regarding graphics elements, I mean.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I just upgraded to 16gb 3200mhz. Now y'all talking about 32gb, come on...

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of games that just allocate whatever VRAM they can as a cache even if it doesn't need it. I remember Call of Duty doing this around the crossgen period and people freaking out that it was taking up all of their 6GB cards despite running fine on 2GB cards.
Resident Evil does this as well with its "8GB High textures", it's just the cache size the actual texture quality remains unaffected between 2GB and 8GB and so does the performance, it's only when you start going under that when you start noticing some sort of compression in far off textures.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, i don't even know how much RAM my mid-range PC has, or how much certain games require or recommend.

Do SSDs alleviate the requirement for more RAM because it allows games to stream more assets or whatever it needs straight from the drive?

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Resident Evil does this as well with its "8GB High textures", it's just the cache size the actual texture quality remains unaffected between 2GB and 8GB and so does the performance, it's only when you start going under that when you start noticing some sort of compression in far off textures.
RE2 chugs all it can get, think it's the only title I've seen to pass 10gb of my vram

Raigor

May 14, 2020
No, 16 GB RAM is more, more than enough.

No game will ever fill the RAM pool anytime soon.

When people have 16 GB of system ram, they still have more ram than console owners. Consoles don't split ram between system and graphics core, that 16 gb is both system ram AND VRAM. PC GPUs typically have between 6 and 11 gb of VRAM separately these days. If you have 16 GB of system ram, and like a 1080ti, you have 27 GB of ram total, which will last you very long.

Now, splitting ram like this has perks and draw backs. The main perk is you naturally have more ram, the draw back is the obvious bottle neck between transfering from system ram to vram, and thus your CPU can't inspect or affect VRAM elements like textures, compiled shader binaries, etc. All things considered, if everything were equal in amount, I would actually say a unified memory structure is inherently superior, but given that PCs will have much more total ram than consoles, it becomes harder to say definitively. I would bet 16 gb system ram will be enough for the entirety of next generation.

That said, I have 128 GB of ram in my latest build, lol, so I'm good.

This dude speaks the truth.

16 GB is already more than enough

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do SSDs alleviate the requirement for more RAM because it allows games to stream more assets or whatever it needs straight from the drive?

That's an idea some devs have for next-gen but it wouldn't really be possible on PCs simply due to the wide variance of hardware. It would require people to have exact types of SSDs devs used to make the game and ofc that is way too specific of a spec to have for games nowadays.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No. VRAM has a bandwidth of multiple terabytes per second. Even the fastest NVMEs have a bandwidth of merely several hundred GB/s, and on a PC, there is a huge bottle neck between sending data from system ram to VRAM.

The amount of RAM is more important for streaming data in a ring buffer than speed of transfer. Consoles get a slight boost because there is no transfer penalty due to a unified memory structure.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Isn't it getting quite cheap for 32GB? It will probably we quite common soon-ish, and I think DDR5 will be 16GB minimum per stick, so 32GB may be minimum there for a proper dual stick setup. Given the small increase of system RAM in this gen compared to last, might be quite easy to end up having way more RAM than consoles this gen.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it getting quite cheap for 32GB? It will probably we quite common soon-ish, and I think DDR5 will be 16GB minimum per stick, so 32GB may be minimum there for a proper dual stick setup. Given the small increase of system RAM in this gen compared to last, might be quite easy to end up having way more RAM than consoles this gen.

You can get 16 GB DDR4 3200 mhz memory for like $60 these days.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Really consoles have a pool of Ram that is both system Ram and VRAM... Whereas pcs have separate pools..

I have 16gb of ram + 11gb of VRAM so a split pool total of 27gb..

16gb system ram for games is more than enough and will be for a bit yet I suspect

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No.

I am running 32GB only because I am running multiple high end applications like video rendering and 3D rendering stuffs while playing game.

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I find you have to essentially double the amount of available ram that consoles have.

Will 32gb of ram become the new recommended system requirement going into the next gen of gaming for pc owners?

*I'm looking at you Microsoft Flight Simulator*

I think so. Next winter i'll buy a new computer with 32gb ram (currently i've 16 Gb).

Anyway, consoles doesn't have typical PC Ram. PS4 have GDDR5, we have on PC DDR4.

DDR4 vs GDDR5:

DDR4 SDRAM
A higher speed and lower voltage successor to DDR3, DDR4 has been accepted as the current mainstream standard as many processors/platforms such as Skylake, Kaby Lake, Haswell-E, Z170, Z270, X99, and the upcoming Skylake-X and Ryzen have adopted DDR4. Much like a CPU, DDR4 is built to handle a bombardment of small tasks with low latency and a certain granularity. DDR4 is fundamentally suited to transferring small amounts of data quickly (comparatively speaking), at the expense of aggregate bandwidth. DDR4 bus width is 64 bits per channel, but is combinational; i.e., 128-bit bus width in dual channel. Additionally, DDR4 has a prefetch buffer size of 8n (eight data words per memory access), which means 8 consecutive data words (words can be between 8–64 bits) can be read and presciently placed in the I/O buffer. Also, the I/O interface is limited to a read (output from memory) or write (input to memory) per clock cycle, but not both. Below, we'll discuss how these specs contrast with GDDR5.

GDDR5 SGRAM
GDDR5 is currently the most common graphics memory among the last couple generations of GPUs, but the newest version is GDDR5X, with it only being currently implemented on two cards: the GTX GeForce 1080 and Titan X (soon, 1080 Ti). Worth mentioning is HBM (High-Bandwidth Memory) used in some of the high-end Fiji GPUs by AMD. HBM 2 was ratified by the JEDEC in January of 2016 and is used in the the nVidia Tesla P100 and will presumably be used in the high-end Vega-based GPUs by AMD.

GDDR5 is purpose-built for bandwidth; e.g., moving massive chunks of data in and out of the framebuffer with the highest possible throughput. This is made possible by a much wider bus—anywhere from 256 to 512-bits across 4-8 channels. Albeit it comes at the cost of increased latency via much looser internal timings when compared to DDR4. Latency isn't entirely an issue with GPUs, as their parallel nature allows them to move across multiple calculations simultaneously. Although GDDR5 has the same prefetch buffer size as DDR4 of 8n, the newest GDDR5X standard surpasses that with a depth of 16n (16 data words per memory access). Moreover, GDDR can handle input and output on the same clock cycle, unlike DDR. In addition, GDDR5 operates at a lower voltage than DDR4 at around ~1V, meaning less heat waste and higher performing modules. In small packages that are packed together densely, like on a graphics card PCB, lower heat is critical. System memory has the entire surface area of the stick to spread, and is isolated from high-heat components (like the GPU).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017

There's a relationship but they're definitely not the same thing. A given scene can only render things you've got in memory, but during traversal, if you have a low speed drive you may need to store things in memory up front because accessing them from storage would be too slow. With extremely fast / low latency storage, you can live closer to the wire (as in store fewer things that are not currently used), which can free up some space.

Inversely, in order to compensate for slow drive speed, it would be possible to increase system memory such that you can simply store many more things around you. It would have longer initial loads to fill this memory, but once in memory it's orders of magnitude faster to access compared to even the PS5 SSD. This solution is likely practical for many games, but it's definitely "possible" to design a scene which maximally stresses IO by feeding in more and more new data at extremely high speeds such that it is not practical to store in reasonable amounts of memory - although your assets still need to be stored on the drive, and that kind of thing would presumably stress the storage space limitations of games to a significant degree. I could see it being an issue in a massive open world game where you're allowed to zoom from one side of a (150GB+) game to another in very short order, for instance.

In the absence of high speed drives and excess memory, there are other things that might happen:

• Much worse draw distances so fewer assets are needed to be streamed in around you
  • More severe LoD bias
  • (Worst case scenario) significant pauses to load data, including load screens that don't exist on other platforms or with faster storage.

The latter can already happen in contemporary games - if you use glitches or exploits to fire yourself through the air very fast in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the game will simply pause for 5+ seconds at a time while the game catches up. Sometimes it pauses multiple times on a single flight because of the speed.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was just checking UK prices, where 32GB 3000Mhz is ~ÂŁ130, 64GB is ÂŁ300. Maybe the idea of lots of game data remaining in RAM will provide some advantage for PC later on?
The transfer from system ram to vram is one of the biggest bottle necks. More VRAM is actually preferable to more system ram. If you have the money to spend, buy a card with a lot of VRAM first.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As others have said, 16gb will be fine. GPU ram will probably matter more than system ram in the long run.

You can get 16 GB DDR4 3200 mhz memory for like $60 these days.
Yup, I got 16 gb 3200mhz for $70 about 3 months ago. Amazon actually sent me another set because the package was lost, but then the package showed up weeks later. I contacted them and they said I could keep it. Now I got 32gb hah.

Oct 17, 2018
I usually upgrade my RAM whenever the new "recommended" comes in. So when everyone recommended 8gb I bought 16, now that 16 is the recommended I'm gonna buy 32.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

Afterburner. For both vram and ddr4

The best way to test this is having two systems with different amounts of Ram and see how that impacts game performance.

Or just take out some of your ram and see how it runs with that.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
No. VRAM has a bandwidth of multiple terabytes per second. Even the fastest NVMEs have a bandwidth of merely several hundred GB/s, and on a PC, there is a huge bottle neck between sending data from system ram to VRAM.

The amount of RAM is more important for streaming data in a ring buffer than speed of transfer. Consoles get a slight boost because there is no transfer penalty due to a unified memory structure.
how much does this huge bottle neck actually effect things tho? No GPU is saturating an x16 pci-e 3.0 as it stands(outside of enterprise stuff), is this because of how the games are designed or would unified pool just make things easier to dev for?

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Do the next gen consoles have 32gb? Then PCs sure as hell better not have a recommended of 32gb lol. My motherboard still only has a top capacity of 16gb.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how much does this huge bottle neck actually effect things tho? No GPU is saturating an x16 pci-e 3.0 as it stands(outside of enterprise stuff), is this because of how the games are designed or would unified pool just make things easier to dev for?

The bottle neck has a huge effect, as you guessed it's because games aren't built right now to try to stream data straight off the drive because doing so is largely impossible. The current best approach is to have a huge, thick circular buffer, to account for the slow transfer speed. Remember, when you talk about "saturating PCI-e 3.0" you're talking about concurrent data transmission. Regardless of how much you are transferring at once, there is always the cost of a single trip. In the future, you'll see them saturate the bus, because if they can't get around the transfer speed, the solution is to transfer as much as possible each trip.

Since that bus doesn't exist on consoles, transfer speed from drive to ram is more important (but still a bottleneck).

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I usually upgrade my RAM whenever the new "recommended" comes in. So when everyone recommended 8gb I bought 16, now that 16 is the recommended I'm gonna buy 32.
When 8GB was recommended, I was buying ddr3 still, so good luck with that approach...

That being said, 32GB will become the requirement when I need to run homelab VMs on my gaming machine