• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
No clue but there's something about the way the game looks that has had my attention - Sekiro was too rpg but an action samurai game will tide me over till the oculus version of Bushido Blade is released.

Frank 🙏 Tell them we're not ready for Halo Infinite.

It will be one of the most ambitious games of 2020 with cyberpunk 2077 and TLOU2.

5 years of development, as a dev you know better than us what it means😁

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Ori certainly. We haven't seen anything from Halo yet, so it's hard to predict anything. Flight Simulator looks amazing, but it's not the kind of game that ends up on GotY lists.

Oct 28, 2017
So, your point of views, the popularity of the games is more important than the games himself for the GOTY ?

No. I'm saying halo as a game just hasn't been as good as it used to be. Imo, bungie made better halo games than 343 has.

And from what I've read on forums over the years, sales for halo 4 and 5 were considerably lower. No idea if thats true mind you. Just what I've read.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
No. I'm saying halo as a game just hasn't been as good as it used to be. Imo, bungie made better halo games than 343 has.

And from what I've read on forums over the years, sales for halo 4 and 5 were considerably lower. No idea if thats true mind you. Just what I've read.

Ah yes that true.

Halo 4 is 8-10M in sales

halo 5 all we know is that made 400m$ in 3 weeks and made 5m sales in 3 months.

But yeah Infinite need to be +90 MC

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows. It's possible. Certainly more possible than previous years.

But they have a lot of BIG contenders this year. One of the biggest years ever in gaming.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give em a chance in 2021 or 22 when their more recent aacquisitions have had time to make finished products. Halo: Infinite might be amazing, but it's releasing in a year stacked with big new IPs, and the Halo name doesn't hold the same weight it once did.

I do hope I am wrong, though, since I will likely be picking up a XSEX instead of upgrading my PC for Hellblade II alone. I mean, I am sure the launch window games will offer some good stuff, but I am more excited about 2021 and beyond for sure.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
No. Though I do find it weird that so many people are excluding Halo and Ori, whilst including Ghosts as a goty contender. I can't wait to play it, but I feel Infinite and Ori are way more likely candidates.

2021 they'll definitely have a contender - Hellblade 2, Horizon 5, or Fable 4 will be in the running at least.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Halo will be a massive massive game for them, that would be my expected pick if it were to happen.
A yearwith TLOU 2 and Cyberpunk however the odds are against them.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just want to say that I am pretty excited about Gears Tactics and it because I love the genre could very well be my GOTY. But like no chance it will actually be with the critics.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
GrossSilverBuffalo-max-1mb.gif

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
I'm not sure if it will come out in 2020 or not but I believe their next Fable game has a chance. Seems like they're pouring a lot of effort into it.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Out of the games they have announced so far...I'm not seeing anything that's gonna compete with the Last of Us Pt 2. We'll see what they having coming down the pipe at E3. If somehow Playground's Fable is a launch title I could see it being amazing, but I don't feel like it's gonna be ready for launch.
Doesn't have to win, just be a contender for nominations. Ori can do it. Maybe Halo if 343 finally got their shit together. (We already know GOTY 2020 will be a pissing contest between Cyberpunk and TLOU.)

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Ori 2 could be fantastic, but let's be real, that's not the type of game people talk about for GOTY regardless of how good it is... which is a shame, in my opinion.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's a pretty strong lineup, but with Cyberpunk, TLOU2, FFVIIR, Elden Ring, RE3, and potentially BOTW2 I just don't see it happening.

Jun 17, 2018
To answer your question, yes but will they win? Not in the year that both TLoU2 and Cyberpunk 2077 release. I'm sure both Halo and Ori will review well though.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they have some shocking new IP they haven't revealed, I highly doubt it.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Halo is likely the only one that would garner that kind of attention I think. Even though Ori, Gears Tactics and Wasteland all have the potential to be GOTY contenders I don't see the media at large championing any of them the same way they would a Halo.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me realize just how few GOTYs MS wins compared to Sony and Nintendo. What even was the last highly contested MS GOTY contender? I can't think of any that don't start with H and end with alo.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Halo: Infinite and Ori make a serious bid for GOTY and could stand toe to toe with TLOU or Ghost of Tsushima. The others not some much.

I think TLOU has no way of going wrong - but Cyberpunk does. It could end up just being a shooter in a cool setting with some driving sections and a glorified upgrade system.

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Image above courtesy of our friend Klobrille. Thanks as always boyo
Thanks! :)

I think XGS has quite some potential contenders/nominees for GotY categories in 2020.

- Ori and The Will of The Wisps for ... everything
- Halo Infinite for ... everything
- Wasteland 3 for RPG
- Gears Tactics for strategy
- Age III DE for strategy
- Psychonauts 2 for family
- Minecraft Dungeons for family
- Flight Sim for simulation
- Tell Me Why will likely get a lot of positive mentions as well for story / diversity

To me, the diversity XGS will bring in 2020 is looking really good. They are going for a broad line-up instead of that "one" big game. I think it's fair to say both Halo Infinite and Ori and The Will of The Wisps are - from a media perspective - expected to do really well.

Great competition next year. So many good games are on the horizon.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing is beating Cyberpunk.
It seems to be a great year for Xbox Studios though!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Why would people be disappointed? Is it because of your bias for SP Story games? Please tell me a game that uses Realtime weather data, has seasons and actually looks realistic. Wait there isn't any.

Just because it's a niche game does not make it a non-contenter.

Because the gameplay is really slow, complicated and different from what most people are used to.

I was expecting they would do a "casual mode" but I think they said they won't.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Ori was a contender on my list first time around already and Gears 5 made many end of year lists in 2019. So they aren't far away and certainly heading in the right direction. I actually think Flight Sim will end up on many GOTY lists but because of the genre it won't get onto the Keighley list. So from what we know, I think the following have a shot of being on the GOTY list in their release year:

Ori 2
Flight Sim
Tell Me Why
Age of Empires 3
Hellblade 2
Forza (it's pretty much the best driving game in any year it releases anyway)

Dark horses:

Halo Infinite
Wasteland 3

Either way, it's a real step up in quality. You can tell just from the production values. Even Gears 5 had a sheen on it that 4 did not and you could tell a lot more more was spent on it.