• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Cannot wait. Travis Knight is returning to direct after his foray into live-action with Bumblebee.

www.indiewire.com

Laika Sets Voice Cast for ‘Wildwood’: Carey Mulligan, Mahershala Ali, Awkwafina, and More

Laika embraces its home town roots of Portland for the first time with Colin Meloy's YA fantasy about a magical forest.

"Wildwood" is based on the first in a trilogy of YA fantasy novels by Colin Meloy, lead singer and songwriter for Portland-based The Decemberists, and illustrated by artist Carson Ellis. The project about a secret forest has been in development at Laika for a decade. No distribution has been announced, though there are obviously several streaming opportunities available at Neflix, Amazon, and Apple.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Travis Knight basically doing the lords work keeping the artists at Laika employed. More or less responsible for keeping feature quality stop motion animation alive single handedly. Even if I don't love every film they've put out, I DO love the craftsmanship and artistry involved. Hope this one is up there with their best!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, I was wondering what their next project was just the other day!

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
Travis Knight basically doing the lords work keeping the artists at Laika employed. More or less responsible for keeping feature quality stop motion animation alive single handedly. Even if I don't love every film they've put out, I DO love the craftsmanship and artistry involved. Hope this one is up there with their best!

I always thought the studio was kept afloat by his dad no?

Very excited about this. These guys are incredibly talented craftsmen.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy they keep making movies and keep raising the bar on stop-motion animation quality even though basically everything they make bombs. The sheer craft of what they're achieving is such a delight.

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
Oh my god yes! I started the audiobook of this but it was corrupted halfway through (and the woman reading it wasn't doing the most amazing job with the voices) so I could never finish it, but an adaptation by LAIKA is basically a dream I didn't know I had come true.

Preferably it's more Kubo or ParaNorman, but heck even if it's Box Trolls level I'd be happy.

OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I always thought the studio was kept afloat by his dad no?

Very excited about this. These guys are incredibly talented craftsmen.
His dad is a Coca-Cola exec isn't he? This is probably one of those rare cases of some rich kid's dad just handing him a bunch of money, and something genuinely cool coming as a result. Even if their films are continually box-office disappointments, they get to keep doing what they do, for which I am very grateful. LAIKA is an amazingly talented bunch with a beautifully unique approach.

Oct 27, 2017
My kids and I love their output and kept hoping for more info on their next project.

The kids (and myself) still want to see the once proposed idea of a Little Nightmares movie or show (based on the games).

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
His dad is a Coca-Cola exec isn't he? This is probably one of those rare cases of some rich kid's dad just handing him a bunch of money, and something genuinely cool coming as a result. Even if their films are continually box-office disappointments, they get to keep doing what they do, for which I am very grateful. LAIKA is an amazingly talented bunch with a beautifully unique approach.
His dad founded Nike.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's more like early Laika and less like their recent features which were great pieces of stop motion art but felt rather lacking in other areas.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
interesting that it's a Colin Meloy/Carson Ellis joint. this is gonna be the most Pacific Northwest-y movie ever.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I'll watch it because I adore stop motion animation, but I haven't enjoyed any of their movies since Coraline. All were visually stunning though.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Kubo was better than Coraline for me personally.
Kubo started really strong but the longer it went on, the less I was into the story. I really wanted to like it but I just walked away disappointed.

On the other hand, I only saw it once when it came out and it's been years at this point. I might change my mind on rewatch. But I watched Coraline over and over again, that creepy shit was my jam as a kid.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Kubo started really strong but the longer it went on, the less I was into the story. I really wanted to like it but I just walked away disappointed.

On the other hand, I only saw it once when it came out and it's been years at this point. I might change my mind on rewatch. But I watched Coraline over and over again, that creepy shit was my jam as a kid.

Felt the same

Laika peaked with Coraline

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
"Wildwood" is based on the first in a trilogy of YA fantasy novels by Colin Meloy,
But....they're not YA. Both Wikipedia and Amazon classify it as children's novels for readers 8-12.

On topic: Will check it out. Didn't much care for Missing Link but Kubo was fantastic.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always down for a film from Laika even if I don't love all their stuff.

Coraline - Loved it
ParaNorman - Okay
Boxtrolls - Hated it
Kubo and the Two Strings - Liked it
Missing Link - Haven't seen it

I hope this one ends up being good.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I didn't know Colin Melody wrote books. Decemberists had two really solid albums. I didn't hear anything after the swan king or whatever it was called. That album suuuuucked.

I saw them a bunch of times, but the best show was when Colin was drunk, a girl was taking a pic or video and he grabbed her phone and called her mom while the band continued playing the song 😂

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really love the first book, but LAIKA animation and (hopefully? maybe?) a Decemberists soundtrack would be right up my alley.