• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
arCfg28.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): PC, PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One
Release Date:
PC - May 26th, 2020​
Console December 3rd, 2020​
Genre: Stealth
Price: $14.99 USD
Player(s): 1-2
Format: Digital
Developer: Sneaky Bastards
Publisher: Humble Games
Size: ~300MB

Abilities.gif

lxS2ayg.png

What is Wildfire?
Wildfire is a 2D stealth title with a focus on environmental interactivity, optional co-op, reactive AI systems and lots of fire propagation.

What do you do?
You are tasked with moving your character across a hostile 2D environment, completing main/side objectives along the way, by using stealth and exploiting your ability to control the elements. Spawn a bubble from water to gain height, pull a fireball from a flame and much more.

Interconnected world or individual levels?
Large individual levels, think of something akin to Thief.

Can I replay levels?
Yes. You can select any stage you already completed from the world map to play it again to try and complete any skipped objectives to get its reward.

Character progression?
As you progress through levels you will find different environmental points which you can use to unlock additional abilities for each of your 4 powers.

Online co-op?
Just local but the game does support Steam's "Remote Play Together" feature to allow you to play that local co-op with a remote friend. Note that at least one player needs to use a gamepad during co-op and that carries over to that remote play setup.

Controller support?
Yes, Wildfire has full controller support on PC.

PS4/Switch controller icons?
Yes, in addition to the expected XB1 controller icons.

Ultrawide support?
No, the game only supports 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions; it will be pillarboxed on an ultrawide monitor.

Mac/Linux plans?
There's a possibility for them post-launch.

Console plans?
Console ports for the game will release on December 3rd, 2020.

xCWqgJl.png

ss_c270c40fef475306769f9d85547c51ffc4853534.600x338.jpg
ss_c68fcdc6484908d929ce5389c30816a4eba605f9.600x338.jpg

ss_dff68f352c21868d2e44190ae390ee7bfd236ae4.600x338.jpg
ss_765b4ff5c4b46abab8e9669285c1d15f99e2e53f.600x338.jpg

z67zlOx.png

Metacritic | Opencritic

Slant Magazine 4/5
The game's constant flow of new ideas doesn't always pan out either, as the complexity of a few later levels can veer into outright tedium. Still, Wildfire mostly maintains a thrilling unpredictability for the way it's permeated by accidents both happy and otherwise, like the flaming guard who flees into a sulfur deposit or the wooden bridge that breaks beneath your falling momentum. It fulfills that all-important requirement of a great stealth game: that there's considerable joy to experimenting with new approaches and poking at the edges of its ingenious interlocking systems to see what happens.

Saving Content 4/5
Sneaky Bastards understands that stealth doesn't have to be boring, and encourages creativity in Wildfire. With each upgrade or new passive meteor shard, I was drawn back to older levels to see if it was easier to complete a task I had to skip out on prior. The game has a great flow of risk and reward amid its stealth. Add in the emergent layer of manipulating your environment and the enemies around you, and you have a game teeming with unpredictability. Wildfire is chaotic and wonderful, all enacted by the spark of a flame.

hpTkFOO.png

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
(Disclaimer: I'm a friend of the dev and a kickstarter backer, saw a few early versions years ago but deliberately kept myself out of it until release)

Played through the tutorial, got my hands on fire. It's good, though I might switch to a controller soon.

Everything feels really deliberate and clear about what will happen if you do X, which is really good.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
NME 4/5
Wildfire grows into itself, slowly introducing more and more elements until its levels are sprawling and the possibilities seem boundless. It's a solid stealth platformer that lets you play with fire and push its systems to the limit, until a unique path through its many forests and caves emerges.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
I backed this a million years ago, and am glad to see they made it to the finish line. Played a bit of the tutorial last night and it looks fun and polished! Seems like all the time they put in paid off.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I would use the term "immersive sim" for a 2d sidescroller but that got my attention so I will definitely check it out.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Some console reviews for the game:

www.thexboxhub.com

Wildfire Review - Burn Baby Burn | TheXboxHub

Wildfire on Xbox is bursting with ideas, and there is a deceptively deep stealthy adventure on offer. Sometimes the pacing can feel off, but once you get your head around it, there’s plenty to enjoy here.

Wildfire

After finishing Wildfire, it struck me that there are plenty of games out there that have pretty interesting concepts, yet don't decide to push them far enough. Or take risks to include highly interactive and dynamic elements. Well, in the AAA market that is, but with the indie market, we see...

www.gamespace.com

Wildfire Nintendo Switch Review

Wildfire is a 2D stealth platformer developed by Sneaky Bastards and published by Humble Games. Humble Games have published other such games like Slay the Spire. Originally released on Steam on May 25, 2020, Wildfire

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
is this 720/60 locked switch handheld?

Not sure about resolution but reviews point to there being performance hiccups (same for at least the base consoles) when you get into effects heavy sequences (targeting 60fps).

www.nintendolife.com

Review: Wildfire - A Thoroughly Enjoyable Slow-Burn Of A Game

I am the god of hellfire, and I bring you...
The only major issue here is slowdown – when there's a lot going on, like guards panicking to and fro as an unquenchable fire rages – the game really chugs. It's a little odd, given that the graphics here don't exactly seem to be taxing the Switch, but will most likely be patched.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on sale on PS4 for 11.99, never heard of it and it has my interest. Anyone have any input for how the game is a few months after release? Think it's worth the purchase? It looks like a fun game, surprised I've never even seen it before