• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I have always said that these people are acting like they know that they aren't going anywhere. I enjoy all of the hopium in the polls, but those with the most to lose are sure digging themselves some deep ass graves to leave this whole thing to chance.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
I have always said that these people are acting like they know that they aren't going anywhere. I enjoy all of the hopium in the polls, but those with the most to lose are sure digging themselves some deep ass graves to leave this whole thing to chance.

My expectation is before he leaves Trump starts giving out pardons like candy, if not just a blanket pardon for the entire administration. they're acting like they have nothing to lose if they do get kicked out, because sadly, they don't.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Democracy in the US continues to be a joke.

The bad guys just saying "nope" is all it took.

Congressional republicans never really respected decorum, laws, or rules of governance in my lifetime. And I'm gettin gold Jack. They pretended to at times and hardly ever went full tilt, but you could tell they didn't really care.

The main difference was that at least the president, even W. Bush, would sometimes be a voice of reason in the party and the courts weren't completely lopsided so they could block their worst urges. Now that the Senate republicans know nothing and no one can stop them they are unleashing all of their true colors in full display. It's sickening really. McConnell will go down as one of the most unscrupulous, unprincipled, and vile politicians in all of history. It's amazing how willing he is to trade common sense and even human life for a political win. Like what the fuck? How does one even reach that point?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Democracy in the US continues to be a joke.

The bad guys just saying "nope" is all it took.

Which goes to show just how terrible our constitution is. We need a new one badly. There is no punishment or accountability from law enforcement or voters built into the constitution. It's old and garbage.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
A Biden Administration can correct the Census if need be in 2021. It wouldn't be the firs time the US has had to "redo" the Census. I don't think they'll redo the whole thing, but maybe sort out undercounted areas and irregularities.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
If Biden wins, they gotta clean house and I mean KEEP TABS EVERY SINGLE TIME one of those fuckwads does something like this, then swoop in, sweep 'em up, and if need be, tackle them over desks and pin them down on the floor, like that one gif of the FBI coming in in the "Wolf of Wall Street" and the slimeballs being carried away kicking and screaming. A fitting fate for a corrupt Trump Administration grifter! EVERY SINGLE FUCKIN' ONE OF THEM!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like Death of the Republic (Rome).

I still hope there's enough momentum with Biden and Trump/GOPs power pyramid crumbles, but its a knife edge - I think Biden will legit win but I'm not sure that's enough anymore. And if Trump stays in power then God love yez.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I think my favourite part about the US political system is that downstream effects of shit like this is generally allowed to stand even after its overturned

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Which goes to show just how terrible our constitution is. We need a new one badly. There is no punishment or accountability from law enforcement or voters built into the constitution. It's old and garbage.

You can have all the built-in failsafes you want but what happens when those meant to enforce the rules say "no"?

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Implied call to violence
The Nazis took over Germany slowly and mostly legally over a number of years. They engaged in the democratic process and debated their way into various positions of power, made various administrative appointments, evolving from a fringe group of nationalists into the second biggest political party in the country, and when they had just enough people in the right places who were willing to subvert humanity, and the timing was right, the horror began.

This is why you have to physically beat and kill obviously evil people early and often. Many progressives don't want to acknowledge it, but violence is inevitable and often necessary because at the end of the day we're still garbage animals on the inside. We are good at improving living conditions, but shitty at improving our nature. Debating is not enough to ward off evil - some people are too stupid or too broken to be convinced. If we weren't so easily distracted and pacified these days by reality TV and fast food and gadgets, not so worn down by working more and more for less than we're worth, not so isolated by social media, and not increasingly unwilling to hold hands with imperfect allies, we'd have a chance. The earth is going to burn underwater and your grandkids will be lucky to serve a master on a mountaintop plantation someday. The other superpowers are moving to the right as well and they can't match us militarily, so nobody is coming to save you.

Buy a gun before you head to the polls and be prepared for the worst when it turns out that your vote was meaningless.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The Nazis took over Germany slowly and mostly legally over a number of years. They engaged in the democratic process and debated their way into various positions of power, made various administrative appointments, evolving from a fringe group of nationalists into the second biggest political party in the country, and when they had just enough people in the right places who were willing to subvert humanity, and the timing was right, the horror began.

This is why you have to physically beat and kill obviously evil people early and often. Many progressives don't want to acknowledge it, but violence is inevitable and often necessary because at the end of the day we're still garbage animals on the inside. We are good at improving living conditions, but shitty at improving our nature. Debating is not enough to ward off evil - some people are too stupid or too broken to be convinced. If we weren't so easily distracted and pacified these days by reality TV and fast food and gadgets, not so worn down by working more and more for less than we're worth, not so isolated by social media, and not increasingly unwilling to hold hands with imperfect allies, we'd have a chance. The earth is going to burn underwater and your grandkids will be lucky to serve a master on a mountaintop plantation someday. The other superpowers are moving to the right as well and they can't match us militarily, so nobody is coming to save you.

Buy a gun before you head to the polls and be prepared for the worst when it turns out that your vote was meaningless.
The problem is that the leadership reflects on the voters. If voters are ignorant and bigoted then their representatives will reflect that. Germany's approach is to educate the populace so history doesn't repeat itself.

You can't beat the ignorance out of people.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that the leadership reflects on the voters. If voters are ignorant and bigoted then their representatives will reflect that. Germany's approach is to educate the populace so history doesn't repeat itself.

This is not true. Republicans are greatly over represented and their views are sometimes in the extreme minority of the country at large - like gun laws, abortion, voting rights.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
The electoral system favors Republicans (and states with a smaller population in general) in the House, Senate and at the presidential level. This means Democrats need a magnitude more votes to form a majority than Republicans.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
This is not true. Republicans are greatly over represented and their views are sometimes in the extreme minority of the country at large - like gun laws, abortion, voting rights.
Clinton only won the popular vote by 2%, so that doesn't seem like an extreme minority to me. That seems like roughly half of the voters in the country.

And the keyword is "voter." Polls don't make a lick of difference. You need ballots in boxes.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool that the whole system of checks and balances is predicated on norms that can basically be ignored if someone feels like it.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

This is the correct answer. The pot has been at a full boil since then. The only logical responses are an all out defense of democracy, which involves watering the hideous roots of the tree of liberty with the blood of patriots and wannabe-tyrants, or a complete retreat into a bubble, only poking your head out when it's time to vote, hoping to delay the inevitable decay of our country into ...whatever Russia is now.

I didn't think it would happen in my lifetime. But it has. What great fucking luck.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton only won the popular vote by 2%, so that doesn't seem like an extreme minority to me. That seems like roughly half of the voters in the country.

And the keyword is "voter." Polls don't make a lick of difference. You need ballots in boxes.
In terms of actual policy, yes, their views are an extreme minority - sometimes. You said representatives are a reflection of the electorate and I disagree since we live in a system where the Senate and presidency are controlled by people who received fewer votes than the opposition. The country is more right than I'd like but it's far less right than our representatives would suggest.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

You also can't force christians and white supremacist to accept history as it actually is happening vs their desires to force a mixture crazy realities upon those they deem less.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Stuff like this is why I'm alarmed. Trump and company are not acting like people who intend to leave their positions of power should the election say Biden won.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Feels like Death of the Republic (Rome).

I still hope there's enough momentum with Biden and Trump/GOPs power pyramid crumbles, but its a knife edge - I think Biden will legit win but I'm not sure that's enough anymore. And if Trump stays in power then God love yez.

I've told many people that if Trump wins a second term, I'm looking for another country to call home.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden

Damn. I'm over here in Sweden following your elections and I'm nervous asf. Can't imagine what it must be like you guys over there... šŸ˜”

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

The current fuckery going on is to scrap the sept 30th end date (obviously cause that was way too blatant an attempt to ignore the judge) and declare oct 5th the new end date.

Apparently the commerce dept lawyers have concluded that the judges order only prevents them from ending it on the sept 30th, but nothing in her order is forcing them to continue all the way till oct 30th in their point of view.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
We're fucking lucky that the entire Trump administration took as long as it did to realize there are no consequences to anything, any more. They played nice with the courts for a long time. It wasn't until they decided to ignore Congressional subpoenas that they seemed to realize they could just ignore everything.

Imagine what the country will look like if Trump steals a second term. Hint: it'll start with killing people who protest him stealing a second term.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Wilbur gives up, goes back to the drawing board to figure out some new way to ratfuck the census.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Why would he comply with it now when he already ignored it the first time. This is so fucking dumb.

Because he is an honorable man. Just point your gun at the sky and I'm sure he won't murder you.

--Hamilton to his soon-to-be-murdered son.*

* Not historically accurate, but the musical is more important than real life.