• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
On this day in 2001 Wikipedia went online, much to the joy of grade school students with a research paper assignment. Over the years I've used Wikipedia as a "trust but verify" source of everyday information. Maybe I want to read the plot of a movie that I'm not super into but everybody else is and I'm curious about what's so appealing about it. Or I might want to learn about earths magnetic field and the effects of the tides on that field. It's expert knowledge at your fingertips.

so how has Wikipedia impacted your life? Do you use it much? Do you donate money to it?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
The free online encyclopedia that ANYONE can edit!

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I've donated around $20 to it over the years. It's one of my most used websites whether it's for entertainment or the obtaining of new information.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Who's going to the party?

I gotta skip, my day's packed already. I think i'm going to do some overtime too. Yeah it's been hard.

Would love to go though!

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
One of the best things to ever happen to the internet. I donate the $3 every year since they have never given in and started selling ads on the site.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. One of the greatest things to come out of the internet.

I still regularly donate.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
KhQ6B3I.jpg

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I've donated a couple times over the years. Not a lot, but something is more than nothing I guess. Wikipedia is wonderful.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Wikipedia allows me to watch Horror films and read whats just about to happen so I can pretend it wouldn't have scared me.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I used the latest released version of Encarta a few months ago in an old PC from some relatives, and the first thing I searched was Videogames.

The main image was a Super Nintendo system/game, and they were talking about new consoles in the future were going to have 3D graphics (N64/PSX).

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I use it multiple times daily and have donated throughout the years.

It's one of the most "sci-fi future" things in my life and humanity should be proud of it.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Those were the days. I was in graduate school and we were told that we could not use it as a reference or as study material. Things are very different these days.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Jimmy Wales describes himself as center-right libertarian. Probably in European terms though.
Thought it was interesting due to the leanings of this forum.

Last edited:

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
To me it represents the greatest promise of the early internet made real. Free information, for and by whoever is interested in it, in a clear organized format and without commercial influence.

I use it all the time as a medical student. Not for actual research but just for quick checking of stuff like a drug's mechanisms of action or some random muscle's innervation.

I donate whenever they ask, usually 10 bucks. I know they have plenty of money but the idea of Wikipedia changing, compromising, or shutting down is horrifying to me.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Wikipedia has its flaws, but it's honestly a miracle that it is as great and useful as it is. In a world where social media is burning constantly a crowd-sourced encyclopedia mostly working is...incredible.

Oct 30, 2017
Wikipedia is truly a lightning in the bottle if you imagine how things could've turned out (Facebook lol).

One of humanities greatest achievements.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Such a great website, obviously to get real use out of the pages you have to go to the sources, but it's an excellent place to collate sources.

I hope it continues to run just as it is for years to come.

Oct 29, 2017
I used the latest released version of Encarta a few months ago in an old PC from some relatives, and the first thing I searched was Videogames.

The main image was a Super Nintendo system/game, and they were talking about new consoles in the future were going to have 3D graphics (N64/PSX).
I collect old apples and I love seeing the old encyclopedia software from the mid 90s. It's so quaint to imagine purchasing next years edition to get the latest info delivered in a new way each year. So much info on multiple discs!

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
A teacher told my 9th grade niece not to use it ever as its not reliable. Wasn't sure how to respond to that other than its useful but still need to verify some data elsewhere.

The teacher made it sound like its all fake or something which is not true.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion the best single website.

Use for a variety of purposes from school to entertainment during the last two decades.

Cheers to 20 years!

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I didn't even think I knew about it until the mid-2000's. I was using encarta before that.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I still remember my teachers in elementary and middle school trying to drill it into our heads to never use Wikipedia for anything since 'anyone can edit it' and therefore it was completely unreliable for any research whatsoever. Luckily by high school, my teachers had gone from that to 'you can use Wikipedia, but don't cite it for anything and check the sources that Wikipedia articles use themselves'.

I also remember trying to make an article for some cool markers or whatever I saw advertised on TV but it got deleted. Then I tried making it again a few months later.

In my defence, I was like 10.