• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Nintendo Switch is in the...

• Eighth generation of video game consoles

Votes: 758 21.9%
  • Ninth generation of video game consoles

Votes: 1,209 34.9%
  • Agree with previous classifications, but we should stop classifying consoles by generations now

Votes: 546 15.8%
  • I don't care about trying to classify consoles by generations and we should stop

Votes: 948 27.4%

• Total voters

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
The Wikipedia community debates whether the Nintendo Switch should be considered as part of the eighth generation of video game consoles or the ninth.

Some selected quotes:
With PS4 Pro releasing only 4 months prior and Xbox One X releasing 8 months after, both being decidedly 8th gen, the timing of release is certainly inducive of it still being part of the current generation of consoles. Having several hardware releases in a single generation from a single vendor isn't unheard of either.

But I just find it hard to believe that the ninth gen will see all the major manufacturers release new hardware around the same time. Maybe that's the "solution"? Consider the Switch a one-off for now and see what happens with the next releases?

I have legitimately not seen any source try to put the Switch against any form of the PS4 or the Xbox One , hardware-for-hardware (They have talked about service models given Nintendo's breaking into that market, but that's different). The reason that we're sorta stuck with the generation approach is that in past generations we have had sources that have put the key consoles up against each other for comparison purposes; even eighth gen we have both Wii and Wii U against Xbox One and PS4 from sources.

I'm becoming comfortable with Switch being placed as 8th gen, and we could probably move forward with it. I'm not entirely sure I'd agree we have enough sourcing to add Wii U to 7th gen though. Nothing precludes a manufacturer from having two consoles in a general "era"...

The Switch is a ninth generation console, no matter how you look at it. It's a successor to an 8th gen console, released 4.5 years later (very usual life span for game consoles). It's not in the middle of an ongoing generation, it's in the beginning of a new generation. Like the Wii U, being the first 8th gen console, from 2012. Sony and Microsoft are just not done with it yet.

Note the options of the poll here. Do you feel strongly about the Switch being classified as an 8th or 9th generation console? Or do you think the generational classification no longer applies? Or do you not care?

EDIT:

Thank you to The Artisan for the update (03/27/2018):

EDIT2: Updated link since the decision is now archived: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip..._games/Archive_137#Nintendo_Switch_generation

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's the only console in the ninth generation. This will become especially true as the PS5/XB2 show up in the next two years.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What?

Wii -> Wii/360/PS3 gen
Wii U -> Wii U / PS4 / Xbox One gen (it started the gen)
Switch -> Switch / PS5 / Xbox Whatever gen (it has started the gen again)

I.... I really don't see how i'ts even a debate

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the generation classification is becoming more and more obsolete and at the end of the day doesnt really matter.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
9th gen.

Playing BotW on a tablet felt more next gen than any graphical showcase on the Pro for me.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Given that the Switch represents a move from pure home console to hybrid, but is in the same realm of tech specs as other eighth gen systems, I'd call the Switch a sidestep within the eighth generation rather than a jump forward to the ninth. Could go either way really...

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
What?

Wii -> Wii/360/PS3 gen

People are weird about it. Hell some people didn't want to put the Wii U with the PS4/XB1 because of how underpowered the Wii was. It's further complicated by the Switch also being the next generation handheld.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
The debate is basically: does "generation" refer to a set of consoles competing at around the same time (or alternatively, released at a similar time), or if generation refers to a specific console manufacturer's release of consoles.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Although it sounds weird now, I think that in hindsight it will be clear Switch is 9th gen. Especially as Kimishima said he wants the system to have an especially long shelf life, so it could be that the majority of the Switches time on the market coincides with the PS5 / XB4.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing the Switch to the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro makes no sense, those are just beefed up versions of existing consoles. They play all the same games and don't have any exclusives. The Switch is a brand new console which only plays Switch games. It's not even backwards compatible.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the generation classification is becoming more and more obsolete and at the end of the day doesnt really matter.

Basically my thoughts, and I suspect this will become increasingly prevalent in its obsoleteness as time goes on.

9th gen.

Playing BotW on a tablet felt more next gen than any graphical showcase on the Pro for me.

I'm reminded of people talking RE7 on PSVR as being the first big next-gen experience they had.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
It is 9th generation hardware, but depending on how it's successor handles Switch software we will need to separate hardware from software, and possibly give them their own generations.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
People are weird about it. Hell some people didn't want to put the Wii U with the PS4/XB1 because of how underpowered the Wii was. It's further complicated by the Switch also being the next generation handheld.
But...the Wii was underpowered and no one doubted it was part of the 360 / PS3 generation...

And Nintendo's official stance on the Switch is that it's a home console first, handheld second... ("a home console you can take on the go")...and is being recognised as a home console by events like TGA (otherwise BoTW and Odyssey would have been in the handheld games category) soo.... again, not seeing the debate

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that generations are universal between console makers and then grouping numbering them all together is silly.

The gameboy launched when the NES was still the biggest gaming platform and only got replaced by the GBA when the PS2 was a thing. What gen is that then?

What gen is the virtual boy?

How about all those early CD consoles that launched before the PS1 like the 3DO, apple pippin and so on?

And why is everything pre NES lumped into 1 generation?

Shit is dumb.

Double stupid points go to EA though who have their own generation numbering scheme that starts with gen 1 as the PS1 even though they themselves releases games long before that.

Last edited:

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
It's a generation after the Wii U. It isn't hard.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Wikipedia's generation definitions are already a complete mess because most consoles before ten years ago don't fit neatly into groups that directly competed.

Generations only work within a single company.

It's Nintendo's 8th generation of home console.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
But...the Wii was underpowered and no one doubted it was part of the 360 / PS3 generation...

And Nintendo's official stance on the Switch is that it's a home console first, handheld second... ("a home console you can take on the go")...and is being recognised as a home console by events like TGA (otherwise BoTW and Odyssey would have been in the handheld games category) soo.... again, not seeing the debate

Console warriors absolutely debated the legitimacy of the Wii being in the same gen as the PS360 a decade ago. "X Game releases for the Next Gen consoles" with Next Gen meaning PS360 in this case. The two Gamecubes duct taped together meme held a lot of truth for the people salty that the Wii was clobbering them.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I personally see the Switch as a follow-up to the 3DS and thus doesn't fit into generations historically defined by home consoles.

It's popular to say on here that console generations are "dead" as some kind of hot take, but the fact that both MS and Sony have both released stopgaps so closely only proves their relevance. Saying generational distinctions are useless now is a hopelessly nintendo-centric view.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Generations are dumb.

The SG-1000, SG-1000 II, and Master System are all the same generation as the NES.

The Wii U and Switch are both within the PS4/XBO market viability window, all four platforms are the same time frame.

Generations are dumb.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Console warriors absolutely debated the legitimacy of the Wii being in the same gen as the PS360 a decade ago. "X Game releases for the Next Gen consoles" with Next Gen meaning PS360 in this case. The two Gamecubes duct taped together meme held a lot of truth for the people salty that the Wii was clobbering them.
Oh, didn't know that

It's still simple: they were wrong

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
And when PS5 and the next Xbox come out, Switch will be considered a last gen console, even though it'll be out on the market and in its prime at the same time? No, that's ridiculous. Calling it anything but a 9th gen console makes no sense.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A generation is not defined by simply releasing a new system iteration imo, but by a leap in technology with that new system and in which multiple companies make the move with new hardware pushing it further then the previous generation of systems.

The Wii>Wii U was by no means a "generational" leap, at all. Unless you want to tell me the Sega 32x was also a new generation or the ps4 pro/xbox one x was a "new generation."

Heck the switch, in terms of hardware power, can't even compete with the ps4/xbone and you want to say it's the next generation? No...it's closest to ps4/xbone in terms of poweroutput, therefore the Switch is in the same generation as the ps4/xbone, it was just late to that party.

The 9th generation will be when the ps5/next xbox comes out and then whatever Nintendo releases after the switch.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wikipedia's generation definitions are already a complete mess because most consoles before ten years ago don't fit neatly into groups that directly competed.

You mean 7th.

But i agree that generations only make sense within a company.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

I agree here.

Also, this is how they're used in the CE industry as well. Its standalone. Apple had a 4th generation of iPods. There was no overarching 4th generation of MP3 players.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
What?

Wii -> Wii/360/PS3 gen

Agreed.

Switch is simply the beginning of a new, ninth gen.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
What's the rationale for classifying game consoles by generation anyway? Never understood that.

Oct 25, 2017
Generations are time wise, so whatever time frame the Xbox One, PS4, and Switch are, they share it.

Also it doesn't fucking matter.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Generations are dumb.

The SG-1000, SG-1000 II, and Master System are all the same generation as the NES.
SG1000 II was just a redesign, but you can add Mega Drive to the list, In Japan, Sega had THREE generations of hardware go up against the Famicom for at least two years each.

Generations are indeed dumb.

Numbering generations in this way is moronic.

The idea that generations are universal between console makers and then grouping numbering them all together is silly.
Yep. Wikipedia doing one of their stupid things here.

Eighth.
Color TV Game standalone series
Famicom
Super Famicom
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Wii U
Switch

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
9th for me.

I know some companies for their own processes call it 8th. I don't care.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
SG1000 II was just a redesign, but you can add Mega Drive to the list, In Japan, Sega had THREE generations of hardware go up against the Famicom for at least two years each.

Generations are indeed dumb.
Huh, I thought they had different game for some reason, but yeah, apparently not.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the reason why all consoles should be in the same generational timeline.

PS4 is the 4th generation of Sony's consoles.

XB1 is 3rd gen for MS.

Switch is 9th gen for Nintendo.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii>Wii U was by no means a "generational" leap, at all. Unless you want to tell me the Sega 32x was also a new generation or the ps4 pro/xbox one x was a "new generation."
What the heck the jump from Wii to Wii U was no less then the jump from the PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to 360 what a load of baloney. The Switch is a 9th gen system, deal with it, generations have nothing to do with power, the only people touting that was the ones salty that the Wii kicked everything into the dust.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its hardware is trash compared to everything else but it's still pretty cutting edge considering its size and portability

so yes, it's whatever gen the current consoles are a part of