• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What system was the bigger failure?

• PS Vita

• Wii U

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSVita.jpg

images

Since the Sega Saturn comparisons were pretty one-sided, here's the more interesting comparison that people asked for: the Wii U and the PS Vita.

Both these platforms are very interesting: they both actually had some rather similar ideas (full fledged console gaming, portably), suffered from a lot of the same problems (poor branding, weak third party support), and both led to hardware line contractions for their respective companies.

The PS Vita was a stunning bit of hardware engineering in 2012, with hardware far ahead of its time, and online services that have still not been matched by a portable device. The Vita failed on account of a high cost of entry (Sony mostly declined to drop the price, and you needed a pricey Memory Card to be able to get anything out of the system to begin with), as well as extremely poor support from Sony (Sony refused to acknowledge it at events, dropped first party support for it very early, never marketed it much to the extent that most people are flat out not aware it existed, and many Sony developers publicly disavowed it months after it had come out), and a total lack of third party support, beyond indie games, which the Vita was a treasure trove for. The Vita performed so poorly Sony stopped reporting sales numbers for it to this day, though credible sources place its final tally at 15 million, which is an immense step down from the 80 million+ the PSP sold, and ultimately stopped making handhelds entirely. Nonetheless, the handheld has an incredible library of indie and Japanese games, and remains a high point for Sony's indie game relations.

The Wii U as hardware felt unfocused; it was a system closer to PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of hardware capability, but it launched just a year before their successors. It was pricey, and that price never really went down through the system's life. That said, it had some very interesting ideas with second screen gaming, remote play, and asymmetric play; while asymmetric play and second screen gaming turned out to be dead ends (Nintendo themselves mostly could not figure out what to do with that functionality), remote play resonated strongly with customers. Wii U's failure was down to very poorly paced and placed first party support (months would go by without a major release from Nintendo; and a lot of games Nintendo put out on the Wii U were the kinds that would never expand the console's mass market appeal), extremely poor third party support, with most third parties publicly disclaiming the system, hampered hardware (the investment in the Gamepad, as well as the hardware being iterative over the Gamecube and Wii's, meant the rest of the hardware was compromised), and, most importantly, catastrophic branding and marketing: Wii U was a terrible name, to the extent that most people who knew of it thought of it as a pricey tablet add on for their existing Wii systems, which they did not want. Most people flat out did not know the Wii U even existed, or what good it was for. Dismal sales of the Wii U ended up poisoning the Wii brand, leading to the console selling only 13.76 million units lifetime, just over 10% of the 100 million+ the original Wii had sold. The failure of the Wii U would lead to Nintendo discontinuing its discrete hardware lines, choosing instead to consolidate handheld and console gaming into one. Nintendo would reinvent itself in the wake of the Wii U's failure, releasing the Switch, which refined the Wii U concept, and is now one of the fastest selling consoles ever. Nonetheless, the Wii U did have its share of successes: its games library was full of beloved games, which are now finding a second life on the Switch; it was the basis which informed Nintendo's approach to third parties and indie developers; and the Wii U had the most full featured suite of online functionality a Nintendo system has ever had, and which the Switch is a regression from.

This is it, then, these are the two big failures PlayStation and Nintendo have had: which is the bigger one, and why?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Sony stopped making handhelds due to how bad the Vita did

Nintendo rolled in Switch and began to kill it

As an individual platform wiiu did worse, but in terms of impact for their company vita was a bigger failure for making Sony give up on handhelds.

Had the wiiu been successful the switch would have likely still happened at the same time it happened anyways, had the vita been a success Sony probably would have made a third handheld system☠.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
The games on the WiiU were so good that Nintendo decided to rerelease them on Switch so they got a fair chance... but the fact they had to do that at all suggests the WiiU was the biggest failure.

Sony failed the Vita more than Nintendo failed the WiiU, however.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the Vita killed off Sony's handheld line, but I feel like Sony was more or less okay with that anyway. In absolute terms, the Wii U was a bigger failure as a console, though I wouldn't be surprised if its software sales made it more revenue.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Wii U had more exclusive games that I enjoyed than PS Vita. So Vita failed for me.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
The games on the WiiU were so good that Nintendo decided to rerelease them on Switch so they got a fair chance... but the fact they had to do that at all suggests the WiiU was the biggest failure.

Yeah this, Sony didn't try or didn't have the capacity to push 2 platforms.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm going with Wii U just from my personal experience.

I bought both of them. The Vita was actually a cool little handheld but didn't get the love it deserved. I only bought it to play my PS4 games around the house. I really couldn't enjoy the controls (playing PS4 games) so just got rid of it. I really wish I kept it now though. I might still buy one.

The Wii U i bought because i didn't want to buy a Switch just for Zelda at launch. I bought it and instantly hated it. i didn't have it 48 hours before it was sent back for a refund. i used that refund towards a Switch

Vita didn't fail. The people failed the Vita.
truth. you speak the truth, friend.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

The Vita was rejected by the market. Not really anything Sony could have done to salvage this mess without burning ungodly amounts of money.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Vita has a few (relatively) high profile releases coming in 2019 and even 2020, whereas Wii U seemingly got nothing except having many of its exclusives ported over to the Switch (besides Gravity Rush, Vita to PS4 ports fizzled out).

I mean Wii U didn't even get a Zelda of its own, that speaks for itself.

Vita didn't fail. The people failed the Vita.

Edit: Guess what I'm trying to say is that Wii U, having only been remarkable for first party games, ended up being easier to directlyreplace in the upcoming generation(s), while the Vita left a gap (succeeded, arguably, by the Switch/Switch Lite).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The two were quite large failures in hardware but the most successful Wii U games sold much more than those of Vita and some have found a second life on Switch.

Vita's only legacy is Tearaway and Gravity Rush and both died on PS4.

Oct 28, 2017
I've never loved any video game platform more than I've loved the Vita. If you've ever clicked on a Vita thread here before, you've probably been annoyed by my posts before so I'll try not to bore you all too much here. But suffice to say the Vita is very special to me and I am very angry with the world for not showing Vita the love it deserved.

Also as for the topic, Vita survived for many years and had a dedicated fanbase against all the odds. Wii U died quicker and nobody seems to have wept for it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Also as for the topic, Vita survived for many years and had a dedicated fanbase against all the odds. Wii U died quicker and nobody seems to have wept for
That is because wii u had an actual successor
And I am pretty sure that the fanbase of games like Splatoon 1, Mario 3D world, Mario Maker etc are bigger than any fanbase Vita was able to build

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The Vita released in a market that didn't really exist anymore, but from a hardware perspective was top line (which then made it very expensive) but atleast had a core following and didn't effect Sony's business at all, outside of removing some goodwill towards the company.

The Wii U was supposed to be nintendos flagship console and had one of the most successful consoles name attached to it (to its detriment mind you) and was still a collosal fuck up, and one that they had to stick with for 4-5 years, whereas sony could just drop the vita and not really have any negative effects.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Vita released in a market that didn't really exist anymore, but from a hardware perspective was top line (which then made it very expensive) but atleast had a core following and didn't effect Sony's business at all, outside of removing some goodwill towards the company.

The Wii U was supposed to be nintendos flagship console and had one of the most successful consoles name attached to it (to its detriment mind you) and was still a collosal fuck up, and one that they had to stick with for 4-5 years, whereas sony could just drop the vita and not really have any negative effects.
Completely leaving one market, that btw wasnt dead, 3DS sold 70M+, is pretty much a negative effect
The only reason Sony is able to hide the negative effects is because PS4 is so successful

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sony pulled the plug on Vita immediately, so the Vita.

WiiU got Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8, 2 of the best games ever.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sales wise:

Both were down by around the same amount (~85%):

PSP -> 80 million
Vita -> 10-15 million

Wii -> 100 million
Wii U -> 13-15 million

Quality wise:

Vita was a drop-dead stunning piece of hardware (capacitive OLED screen) with some neat features which tied nicely into the existing PlayStation ecosystem. It had a great bunch of launch window exclusives lineup but the first-party support just wasn't to last long outside of that. So much wasted potential from a development perspective. The overpriced proprietory memory cards were such a dumb decision. Sony will probably never make another handheld after it, but I think they learned a lot with the remote play and touch screen functionality which may feed into some kind of companion device for the PS5 or the rumoured DualShock 5 touchscreen. There is something of value to be taken from its losses.

Wii U's GamePad just wasn't good. It came out too early and wasn't refined like the Switch. Resistive display. It had some amazing exclusives over the course of a short lifespan, but there were periods of long droughts, and with poor third-party support there wasn't much of interest between big first-party games. Having said that, the Switch is basically a condensed Wii U concept, so they gained a lot from its failures.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wii U was the more damaging console, it had a few stand out games but it honestly felt like Nintendo disappeared for 5 years in the console space.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not shocked by the poll results. But for me, Vita was one of the worst gaming purchases I've ever made. Hardware was nice but the OS and games were lackluster. Wii U had the better library.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Both were failures let's make that clear, but the Wii U as Nintendo's main platform at the time is more of a failure imo. Vita and PSP always were Sony's secondary platforms.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Hmmmmm.
I feel like Nintendo have managed to leverage some of the great WiiU software?
But personally I played more Vita?
But those friggen memory cards, I will never forgive.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are both failures on massively different scales, are these threads parodies now?

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Not that im shitting on this thread because it is making discussion
But did i see like 3 other similar threads or what's going on here

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U definitely had more high profile, exclusive games, but the Vita stands as one of my favorite systems of all time. I love them both, and they were both too good for this world.

Still, I believe Wii U was the bigger failure, simply because of how damn good of a system the Vita was. There really was no justice with that story.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So at this point, I hate Saturn, I love Saturn, and I hate Vita. All because some cynical fucks can't just see a thread for what it is, an attempt at discussion, and have to read an ulterior motive into everything.

Oct 27, 2017
Not that im shitting on this thread because it is making discussion
But did i see like 3 other similar threads or what's going on here

How many of these threads do we need to make? Are there going to be ones for all the hundreds of different possible somewhat okay to not okay selling hardware selling combinations? How about make one topic about what were the best and not best selling consoles and go from there. Lol.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Switch salvaged Wii U's legacy. Vita basically killed off Sony's handheld prospects. Wii U was higher profile I guess so its failure had bigger optics, but Vita just meant death

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Vita was a bigger failure for sure. What was crazy was how Sony treated the thing even one year in seemed to be completely illogical. I remember how top Sony reps would boast about the system having an amazing attach rate of like 12 games per owner despite low sales figures. About the system having great owner satisfaction as well.

Then consequently dropping all major support for it citing the old "it's just that mobile systems are dead due to phones" with their head down. Meanwhile Nintendo was still having great success with the 3ds and are still laughing all the way to the bank every month to this day with the switch.

The Wii U failure shows Nintendo had the ability to make mistakes with branding but could recoup with a better vision of what they had with the switch.

The Vita meanwhile only shows how Sony can mess up the branding, display how they couldn't recoup (some marketing and normal sd memory cards on the second itenaration would of count as a cheap "we tried"), let go of all their portable gaming library in the process and consequently display the company as incompetent to this day with every switch purchase.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wii U imo simply because I feel as though the expectations are higher on a console. So it felt like a higher-profile failure, to me anyway.

Both are pretty big failures, clearly.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I still have a hard time believing Wii U was a failure, at least for Nintendo. Though they'd never admit to it, it sure seemed like something they put out there to satiate their core while they continued work on what would eventually become the Switch, and to gauge fans' reactions to that approach in hardware. They made money off it, it probably didn't cost them very much versus what they got back from it, both financially and in terms of information. I think it was probably a fine success for them.

For us, sure, it was kind of turd.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
WiiU but at least it was supported by Nintendo with new games. Sony stopped doing that with the vita around 2014-2015.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wii u has 15 million-seller games, and had games that are still selling to this day. vita had... P4G i guess.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am very angry with the world for not showing Vita the love it deserved.
I didn't deserve anything, it utterly failed to make a case for itself.
The world isn't supposed to show up just because you and a handful of people enjoy something to the point of being weird about it. Where even is this entitlement coming from?

I agree that the WiiU was the slightly bigger failure, but it's software highs were so much higher than anything on Vita for me. The Vita might be the worst gaming purchase I've ever made.