• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Best Console for Modding

• Wii U

Votes: 337 37.0%
  • Wii

Votes: 71 7.8%
  • Xbox (original)

Votes: 146 16.0%
  • Xbox 360

Votes: 21 2.3%
  • 3DS

Votes: 52 5.7%
  • PS3

Votes: 30 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 253 27.8%

• Total voters

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Well I do have children but, so far, no knack for deleting stuff! The reason I'm doing all this is to load the Wii U with my games so my son can hop around them like he does on Switch (all digital of course). So having it still be in CFW when he closes a game is a must, looks like CBHC is the way to go. I guess I can move the CBHC icon all the way to the end of the Wii U menu, and also restrict system settings with parental controls.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
So I've been heavily debating getting a Wii U due to the reasons listed in this topic. I've looked at the guides but just to be clear, what else do I need to do this? Is there a specific type of SD card or minimum/maximum sizes? In theory, could I put everything (Wii U, Wii, GC backups etc) digitally on just the one SD card, or is say an external HDD needed too?

I think I would also prefer to do the CBHC since the last page alleviated concerns with that.

Thanks!

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Do I need to do anything to get my Gamecube controller to work with Gamecube game injects? The games work fine with the gamepad, but don't detect Gamecube controllers plugged in through the adapter. I've tried launching them selecting not to use the gamepad and still nothing.

The adapter is a cheaper third party one, but it works on PC and Switch, just not Wii U.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Do I need to do anything to get my Gamecube controller to work with Gamecube game injects? The games work fine with the gamepad, but don't detect Gamecube controllers plugged in through the adapter. I've tried launching them selecting not to use the gamepad and still nothing.

The adapter is a cheaper third party one, but it works on PC and Switch, just not Wii U.
I had the same problem and had to buy the Mayflash adapter, which works perfectly. The random other-brand one I had did not work.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Did anyone ever develop a method to control (not just display) Wii games with the Gamepad? I know the eshop version of Xenoblade officially supports but has anyone implemented it elsewhere with homebrew?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone ever develop a method to control (not just display) Wii games with the Gamepad? I know the eshop version of Xenoblade officially supports but has anyone implemented it elsewhere with homebrew?
There's an option in the injector to make the GamePad act as a Classic Controller, I think.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I have been toying with the idea of getting a Wii U to mod and was curious when it comes to running GC games, what file extenstion do they need to be? I still have a bunch that I ripped to .gcm and .iso when I was using Dolphin years ago and was curious if I would have to rip them again, or if they used the same file system?

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been heavily debating getting a Wii U due to the reasons listed in this topic. I've looked at the guides but just to be clear, what else do I need to do this? Is there a specific type of SD card or minimum/maximum sizes? In theory, could I put everything (Wii U, Wii, GC backups etc) digitally on just the one SD card, or is say an external HDD needed too?

I think I would also prefer to do the CBHC since the last page alleviated concerns with that.

Thanks!
If you want to have the games on Wii U menu like the OP, you have to install them on a HD (which will use Wii U own file system, so it won't be compatible with other devices). Unfortunately, you can't install them on SD card. If you want to use a SD card, you can put there the Wii and GC games and launch them using a Wii USB Loader/Nintendont. GC games will still be compatible with the GamePad (if using the latest version of Nintendont), but sadly the Wii games won't.

Personally I suggest going the external HD route. Keep in mind you'll need a HD with a Y cable or an external power source. A 250-300 GB one is fine for a nice GC-Wii-WiiU library. As for the memory card, since you have to copy the games there first to install them on a HD, I suggest at least a 32GB one.
I have been toying with the idea of getting a Wii U to mod and was curious when it comes to running GC games, what file extenstion do they need to be? I still have a bunch that I ripped to .gcm and .iso when I was using Dolphin years ago and was curious if I would have to rip them again, or if they used the same file system?
Yeah, both Nintendont (if you want to play them from SD card) and TeconMoon's Injector (if you want to convert them to Wii U installable package) support those extensions.
Yes, if you use the Injector, you can play with the GamePad every Wii game which supports the Classic Controller or the WiiMote without motion controls. Games which uses the Nunchuck (or the Wiimote pointer/gyro/accelerometer) can't be played with the Gamepad, sadly.

Last edited:

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
One little known shitty thing about the wii u is that if you've ever updated a game and that update data later gets deleted, the wii u won't let you open that game until you go online and redownload the files.

I think it has implications beyond this topic too, when the servers get turned off in a few years.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I had the same problem and had to buy the Mayflash adapter, which works perfectly. The random other-brand one I had did not work.

Just had the Mayflash adapter delivered and gave it a quick test and it works perfectly! Cheers!

Is there any way to exit Gamecube games back to the menu, other than turning the whole console off and on again? Google suggests L + R + Z + B + Down on Dpad but that doesn't work for me.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Just had the Mayflash adapter delivered and gave it a quick test and it works perfectly! Cheers!

Is there any way to exit Gamecube games back to the menu, other than turning the whole console off and on again? Google suggests L + R + Z + B + Down on Dpad but that doesn't work for me.
I have not been able to solve that. Z+R+Start resets the game, but doesnt actually exit the game. That's all I 've figured out so far. I have to press the Wii U home button which exits to dashboard from Nintendont

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I have not been able to solve that. Z+R+Start resets the game, but doesnt actually exit the game. That's all I 've figured out so far. I have to press the Wii U home button which exits to dashboard from Nintendont

Just tried this out, R+Z+Start resets the game, and L+R+Z+Start exits to the Wii U menu for me.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
If you want to have the games on Wii U menu like the OP, you have to install them on a HD (which will use Wii U own file system, so it won't be compatible with other devices). Unfortunately, you can't install them on SD card. If you want to use a SD card, you can put there the Wii and GC games and launch them using a Wii USB Loader/Nintendont. GC games will still be compatible with the GamePad (if using the latest version of Nintendont), but sadly the Wii games won't.

Personally I suggest going the external HD route. Keep in mind you'll need a HD with a Y cable or an external power source. A 250-300 GB one is fine for a nice GC-Wii-WiiU library. As for the memory card, since you have to copy the games there first to install them on a HD, I suggest at least a 32GB one.

Yeah, both Nintendont (if you want to play them from SD card) and TeconMoon's Injector (if you want to convert them to Wii U installable package) support those extensions.

Yes, if you use the Injector, you can play with the GamePad every Wii game which supports the Classic Controller or the WiiMote without motion controls. Games which uses the Nunchuck (or the Wiimote pointer/gyro/accelerometer) can't be played with the Gamepad, sadly.
Thank you!

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018

Thanks!

Just in terms of SD size, I found I couldn't do the vWii modding side of things (https://wiiu.hacks.guide/vwii-modding) with a 16GB card (kept getting some "boot.elf can't be found" error at some stage), I had to drop down to a 2GB. The 16GB worked fine for all the Wii U stuff, and now I have done the vWii hacking I have gone back to the 16GB and everything is working fine. YMMV!

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Well I ordered one, will be here Saturday. Excited it's the only Nintendo console I've never owned.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Well I ordered one, will be here Saturday. Excited it's the only Nintendo console I've never owned.

Seriously, it's so great when you start hacking, I've now got all my Gamecube, Wii and Wii U games installed to HDD and injected into the Wii U menu. I'm kinda blown away by it! Next step is to get some N64 emulation up and running.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
OP mentions the Wii U having worthwile exclusives and proceeds to list 2 remasters first. kinda contradictory hm?

the Wii U itself is a pretty nice all-in-one machine to play several gens of games in one machine. my GC and Wii barely get any use these days because whenever i play an old game, it's through the Wii U. i'd play Game Boy games in it too if it wasn't for the fact they are too low res for the big screen and look better on a 3DS since pixel perfect modes actually looks pixel perfect there (the New3DS XL is also a beast for playing everything portable Nintendo has made)

i use a 400GB SD card to store all my GC and Wii games in it and run them from Wii mode with either USB loader or Nintendont. i was never a fan of filling the Wii U menu with a lot of individual icons, especially since i play some game mods often and would need to reinstall them too often since things like randomizers need a new modded iso every time you want to play a different arrangement. Wii mode method lets me just put the game in the SD and load it and also i prefer to have the Wii U stuff separate.

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
because their enhancements are so definitive and worthwhile that they more than comfortably stand next to proper exclusives first and only released on that platform.

i guess you see it that way but for me no amount of enhancements can change the fact these 2 games exist on another platform and are not exclusives.

would OoT3D and MM3D be exclusives to 3DS then? the same logic applies to them.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Seriously, it's so great when you start hacking, I've now got all my Gamecube, Wii and Wii U games installed to HDD and injected into the Wii U menu. I'm kinda blown away by it! Next step is to get some N64 emulation up and running.
Well it arrived early but apparently the disc drive doesn't read discs. I don't really intend on using the drive at all but might send back since it wasn't disclosed ugh lol.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
i guess you see it that way but for me no amount of enhancements can change the fact these 2 games exist on another platform and are not exclusives.

would OoT3D and MM3D be exclusives to 3DS then? the same logic applies to them.
Since there's an argument to be made that it's the optimal versions to play of those Zelda games, I would argue that. If you're having a conversation about the importance of a system and its influence, no I wouldn't count OoT3D, but if you're arguing about the quality of its library, I absolutely would.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
One little known shitty thing about the wii u is that if you've ever updated a game and that update data later gets deleted, the wii u won't let you open that game until you go online and redownload the files.

I think it has implications beyond this topic too, when the servers get turned off in a few years.

Does this apply to disc games as well as digital games?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Since there's an argument to be made that it's the optimal versions to play of those Zelda games, I would argue that. If you're having a conversation about the importance of a system and its influence, no I wouldn't count OoT3D, but if you're arguing about the quality of its library, I absolutely would.
This is my logic behind this too.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
This is my logic behind this too.

then, why aren't Wii U games that got ported to Switch counted? OP excluded those games in that list and the games are still an asset to the Wii U library even if they exist on another platform now.

you wouldn't stop counting TWW, TP OoT or MM on their original machines because the re-releases are better. same applies to those Wii U games.

also, does that make the Metroid Prime Trilogy an asset to each console it is released on or just the original? people never bring up Metroid Prime 1 or 2 when discussing the Wii library and yet those re-releases are in the same realm as these.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking about modding my Wii U to finally play my copy of XCX. I'm interested in dumping my Wii and Wii U discs into apps to an external SSD, because I do not want to put wear into the drive anymore, plus the slightly faster loading times.

I have this small Sandisk USB flash drive, and it gets pretty hot. Gonna get a Samsung T5 soon and then mod it.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I've now got my Wii U modded and have most of my Wii U, Wii and Gamecube games backed up to a hard drive and it all works perfectly. One thing I can't figure out though is WiiWare/Wii Virtual Console titles. I have a few installed on my vWii from when did a system transfer years ago when I first upgraded to Wii U. Can anyone explain how I can get them onto my Wii U menu like all my other games? I noticed the OP has WiiWare games in some of their pictures.

I haven't modded my vWii yet, is that necessary?
I gather I use WiiVC Injector and the vWii NAND Title Launcher option. Rather than a game it asks for a four digit Title ID. I googled the IDs for some of the games I have installed and built and installed them but when I run them on my Wii U I get a "no title tmd" error.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
Does this apply to disc games as well as digital games?

Yes, the disc won't work until you redownload and install the game update somehow. Deleting all the saves/files etc does nothing, the wii u remembers it somewhere that you can't access/reset.

It's bizarre. I expect to hear more about it in a few years when Nintendo turn off the servers, but for now nobody knows/cares.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for the thread.
After leaving my Switch at my it cousins a little while back, I decided to pull out the Wii U last week and softmod it. Currently installing my library on to SSD.

I know about the vWii mods, but haven't done it.
But how do you launch vWii games directly from Wii U home screen?

Nov 4, 2017
I saw a WiiU in a pawn shop near work for AU$80 (about US$55), which seems like a steal given the capabilities listed in this thread. I'm mighty tempted. What should I look out for in terms of common issues? E.g. I'm assuming the battery in the pad will be pretty useless by now.

Edit: I should mention it's a black one; does that mean it's the premium model?

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
then, why aren't Wii U games that got ported to Switch counted? OP excluded those games in that list and the games are still an asset to the Wii U library even if they exist on another platform now.

you wouldn't stop counting TWW, TP OoT or MM on their original machines because the re-releases are better. same applies to those Wii U games.

also, does that make the Metroid Prime Trilogy an asset to each console it is released on or just the original? people never bring up Metroid Prime 1 or 2 when discussing the Wii library and yet those re-releases are in the same realm as these.
I think you're reading the wrong threads/lists if you've never seen MP Trilogy with 1+2 being counted as crucial assets of the Wii library oO

And I actually would tell people, if asked, to play XYZ game on other systems if there is a definitively better remake or remaster or even just enhanced port available. The only TWWs or TPs or OoTs or MMs I recommend to people are HD and 3D respectively.

I saw a WiiU in a pawn shop near work for AU$80 (about US$55), which seems like a steal given the capabilities listed in this thread. I'm mighty tempted. What should I look out for in terms of common issues? E.g. I'm assuming the battery in the pad will be pretty useless by now.

Edit: I should mention it's a black one; does that mean it's the premium model?
Unless you're in Japan then yes. There was only one Premium model in the West and it was always the black one.
Japan had a white premium for a while too.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
I think you're reading the wrong threads/lists if you've never seen MP Trilogy with 1+2 being counted as crucial assets of the Wii library oO

And I actually would tell people, if asked, to play XYZ game on other systems if there is a definitively better remake or remaster or even just enhanced port available. The only TWWs or TPs or OoTs or MMs I recommend to people are HD and 3D respectively.

hm i see the angle of your reasoning now. in that way the Switch ports would be the superior versions of those Wii U games and would be recommended first like these remasters.

i'd still refrain from using the word exclusives like the OP did on the Zelda remasters. one thing is to recommend the superior version and another is to call it exclusive when it isn't.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
hm i see the angle of your reasoning now. in that way the Switch ports would be the superior versions of those Wii U games and would be recommended first like these remasters.

i'd still refrain from using the word exclusives like the OP did on the Zelda remasters. one thing is to recommend the superior version and another is to call it exclusive when it isn't.
Yea exclusive is not a good word choice (these version technically are, though). In the rare case of Captain Toad you might still argue that the Wii U original is still superior or at least, aside from the added content/DLC, comparable with a better interface.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the disc won't work until you redownload and install the game update somehow. Deleting all the saves/files etc does nothing, the wii u remembers it somewhere that you can't access/reset.

It's bizarre. I expect to hear more about it in a few years when Nintendo turn off the servers, but for now nobody knows/cares.
I imagine it will be a bigger deal with the Switch since it's the same setup there. There was a thread a while back about it. I think a system reset fixed it but am not sure. At least on Switch you can get an update from another Switch even if the servers are shut down.
Yea exclusive is not a good word choice (these version technically are, though). In the rare case of Captain Toad you might still argue that the Wii U original is still superior or at least, aside from the added content/DLC, comparable with a better interface.
I was just thinking about showing my kid Captain Toad and wasn't sure if it was worth the upgrade. Doesn't the Switch version have 2 player?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I imagine it will be a bigger deal with the Switch since it's the same setup there. There was a thread a while back about it. I think a system reset fixed it but am not sure. At least on Switch you can get an update from another Switch even if the servers are shut down.

I was just thinking about showing my kid Captain Toad and wasn't sure if it was worth the upgrade. Doesn't the Switch version have 2 player?
It does. Toad and Toadette can go be adorable together on Switch.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Before I even seriously consider investing time into this project, I have one question:

Is it possible/easy to transfer all the saved data and eShop and VC games (even the, uh, injected/other region ones) from my homebrewed Wii to my to-be homebrewed Wii U? I would like to ditch my Wii but I'd hate to lose anything in the process.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Before I even seriously consider investing time into this project, I have one question:

Is it possible/easy to transfer all the saved data and eShop and VC games (even the, uh, injected/other region ones) from my homebrewed Wii to my to-be homebrewed Wii U? I would like to ditch my Wii but I'd hate to lose anything in the process.
the wii shop channel should still be online for redownloading but idk if you can still download the system transfer tool and initiate the system transfer ...

that used to be a straightforward 100% carryover. obviously excluding all of your homebrew nonsense that nintendo does not recognize and would stay behind, for obvious reasons.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
the wii shop channel should still be online for redownloading but idk if you can still download the system transfer tool and initiate the system transfer ...

that used to be a straightforward 100% carryover. obviously excluding all of your homebrew nonsense that nintendo does not recognize and would stay behind, for obvious reasons.

I meant, what about the wads that I installed on my Wii manually? Will it copy those? If not, can I reinstall them on my Wii U manually? If I can't download the system transfer tool on my Wii, can I install its wad?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any kind of guide to set your Wii U up like this? I set my Wii U up with CFW etc back in 2016 using https://wiiu.hacks.guide but it didn't get everything in the main menu like this. I've got the Coldboot Haxchi version from way back then, and my old version of Haxchi makes the console super sluggish. What's the safe way to update all of that? I just received two 2TB HDDs and I'm hoping to use with it: one for Wii U backups and another for Wii/GC/etc games that I can all launch from the main menu.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I meant, what about the wads that I installed on my Wii manually? Will it copy those? If not, can I reinstall them on my Wii U manually? If I can't download the system transfer tool on my Wii, can I install its wad?
that is exactly what I was talking about. the wii->wii u system transfer does/did exactly that. that's the only official way.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
WiiU was great, shame people overlooked it and Nintendo messed up the marketing and kinda gave up.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
It WAS great. Not only the games, but the system-wide Miiverse integration, video chat, expansive retro games library and full Wii backwards compatibility was all aces. I still love my Wii U and use it every Xmas for Wii Fit and Wii U Sports Club shenanigans.

Asynchronus multiplater with the NintendoLand games and other stuff was fab too, so unique. Luigi's Ghost Hunt was the best with 4 people. And that Mario Chase one too...

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't solved this yet: dump them from the Wii, then install them on vWii on Wii U using your favorite Wad Manager.
Is there any kind of guide to set your Wii U up like this? I set my Wii U up with CFW etc back in 2016 using https://wiiu.hacks.guide but it didn't get everything in the main menu like this. I've got the Coldboot Haxchi version from way back then, and my old version of Haxchi makes the console super sluggish. What's the safe way to update all of that? I just received two 2TB HDDs and I'm hoping to use with it: one for Wii U backups and another for Wii/GC/etc games that I can all launch from the main menu.
You should convert Wii and GC games into Wii U installable package and then use WUP Installer GX2. 2TB will be more than enough for your entire library (GC+Wii+WiiU).

Last edited: