• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered a used Wii from eBay to play Wii Sport with my wife and 4 yrs old son and wow, does this thing hold up so well. Wii Motion control is still as accessible as ever. My son who has never experienced gaming outside his iPad could pick up and play immediately.

Along with Wii Sport, I was also craving for some on-rail shooters so I also bought House of the Dead 2/3 and Sin&Punishment. They are still a blast to play. I usually don't have nostagia for Nintendo console but the Wii is exception. This thing is just timeless. The graphics might not be the best but it looks fine when I hook it up with the RetroTink 2X upscaler.

Do you still own a Wii? Maybe it's time to blow the dust and play it!

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
The Wii is fun to play! Funny that you mention the House of the Dead 2 and Wii Sports because those are games I played most recently on the Wii (mind you that was in 2016, but it was still fun).

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I have one somewhere... I have absolutely no reason to find it. Never liked it and my dislike was almost entirely down to the controller.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I have a Wii hooked up for the sole purpose of ripping games to emulate. So I would agree. Just with the modern convenience of HD, Anisotropic Filtering, The Highest Quality Mip Maps at any distance, Per Pixel Lighting, and the ability to overclock the virtual CPU to remove any performance issues :)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I have hooked up to a CRT for Virtual Console gaming. ButI haven't used it much lately.

I still need to get that Kirby game for it—Return to Dreamland.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My Wii is now an emulation machine. I play Wii games on my WiiU once in a blue moon. I do not think the Wii holds up exceptionally well and waggle does it no favors.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I keep one around when I want to play Metroid Other M or Skyward Sword or Brawl or Mario Kart 8 and remember how unenjoyable they were. Wish I'd retained my Wii U instead.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I just ordered a used Wii from eBay to play Wii Sport with my wife and 4 yrs old son and wow, does this thing hold up so well. Wii Motion control is still as accessible as ever. My son who has never experienced gaming outside his iPad could pick up and play immediately.

Along with Wii Sport, I was also craving for some on-rail shooters so I also bought House of the Dead 2/3 and Sin&Punishment. They are still a blast to play. I usually don't have nostagia for Nintendo console but the Wii is exception. This thing is just timeless. The graphics might not be the best but it looks fine when I hook it up with the RetroTink 2X upscaler.

Do you still own a Wii? Maybe it's time to blow the dust and play it!

I actually still have mine hooked up, and play games on it at least a few times a month. You are right in that many of its best games still hold up well.

I have one somewhere... I have absolutely no reason to find it. Never liked it and my dislike was almost entirely down to the controller.

There are actually a fair amount of "traditional" games for the system.

A used Wii system is rather inexpensive, and stores like GameStop still have a lot of cheap but fun games on their shelves.

OP
OP
Devilgunman

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I just found out that I bought the oldest sku bundle so it came with the original Wiimote ins tead of Wii motion Plus.... Look like I need to buy the attachment to play Skyward Sword.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The good games are still good but the system still doesn't feel that old to me (EB probably still has used Wii games), and it was never high tech to begin with. Besides the really big names like Mario, there's a bunch of neat stuff like Zack & Wiki, Excite Truck, Rodea, Madworld, Deadly Creatures, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Ivy the Kiwi, Castlevania: The Adventure - Rebirth, Ghost Squad, Gunblade NY, etc..

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've realized during the pandemic is Nintendo should absolutely release Wii Classic Mini.

Not that weird red and black version they manufactured ...

A mini console with all the "Wii _____" games preinstalled and 4 Wii Remotes.

I think it would be a huge hit with families, especially with those that were in college/high school when the Wii phenomenon happened and now have young families of their own.

kdawg954

Oct 29, 2017
I was testing an old Wii for a family member that needed a console during quarantine and I found myself playing Wii Golf for the next 2.5 hours. It's still really damn good.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii is super underated, especially in the hardcore gaming community. The innovations the Wii remote brought to aiming in shooters and other games still hasn't been matched with anything outside of a keyboard and mouse. It's a shame a lot of early titles fell back onto waggle, because a lot of really good original games and ports really showed what you can do with motion controls.

There is also a lot of easy to install homebrew and the Brawl modding community is still active to this day.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
The accessibility of the thing is really something special
seeing my parents who would normally never play video games enjoying wii games was awesome

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda crazy there's Wii nostalgia now. Time flies haha.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, it takes some getting used to just how floating the on-screen pointer feels on Wii, but it's still ultimately the way to go for lightgun-style shooters.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo not releases a Wii Sports/Resort sequel on Switch is a travesty. The games still hold up quite well.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I recently dug up my wii and to my suprise it's in pretty good condition. Just waiting on some component cables to replace the composite ones I used and then I'm gonna hook it up to use for old Wii and Gamecube stuff. Wii Sports is one of the greatest pack in's ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Amidst all the shovelware, the Wii actually did have a lot of great games and I am glad people are finally starting to acknowledge that.

Was trying to build my collection recently and it was getting pretty great, had just picked up House of the Dead 2 + 3. It's fun dropping by random retailers to see what they have, some of these games are actually pretty expensive online these days.

I think my biggest regret still has to be not getting any virtual console titles before the Wii Shop Channel went down. Actually playing some of them on my friend's Wii and they run and look so well, much better than the Wii U's virtual console for some reason.

Not going to make the same mistake with the latter though, been trying to make it a thing to buy at least one virtual console game from the Wii U's eShop before that inevitably goes down. Trying to especially get as many Game Boy Advance games as they can since they look great on the Wii U + being able to play them on a TV screen instead of a small one is great.

All in all, the Wii was such a great place for so many games as well as playing so many classics.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Heard of tons of people breaking out the dusty Wii to play Wii sports during quarantine....which makes me wonder why we haven't gotten some sort of switch version from Nintendo

Oct 28, 2017
Still the best place to play on-the-rails shooting games. My wife loves those games and they have pretty much completely died out post Wii. I would pay something like $120 for HD Links Crossbow Training on the Switch. Maybe $200.

OP
OP
Devilgunman

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Heard of tons of people breaking out the dusty Wii to play Wii sports during quarantine....which makes me wonder why we haven't gotten some sort of switch version from Nintendo

Nintendo probably thought 1-2 Switch would be that game in term of fun and accessibility. It's not.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
I remember all the articles and stuff of how Wii Sports was the best thing for seniors stuck in nursing homes, and I can't help but think that since they're extra stuck now, there's a lot of older folks who could really benefit in a lot of ways from having it

Jan 29, 2018
For whatever reason a big part of what keeps me from hooking up my Wii/Wii U is not wanting to mess around with that damn sensor bar. It just bugs me for some reason. That, and I don't think there are any AA batteries in my house for the Wii remotes and it seems a little late to invest in rechargeable batteries just for the Wii.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii is really great, amazing library of hidden gems.
We will never again play something unique like Red Steel 2 for example.

Deleted member 56457

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Wii was great. I remember I got lucky on release date and found a console at Sears along with twilight princess. Easy to mod too with along with a hype library. My favorite thing about the Wii is the GameCube slots. The Wii/ Ds era is very special to me.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
The Wiimote has such a nice ergonomic design (outside of the 1/2 buttons) when you hold it like a remote. So good.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I play Wii Sports Golf on the Wiiu from time to time. It's our favorite game to drink a couple of beer and talk about things while playing it.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I found my Wii while cleaning up sometime last week. Kind of have the urge to hook it up but the sensor bar is missing.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
CTRL+F "waggle"
*sigh*

Many, many happy memories playing Wii sports with my wife and she scored a hole-in-one in another room while pregnant. Only help she got was from me telling her the wind direction.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
I still have all my old consoles hooked up. Wii is one of them.

I have mixed feeling about the system. I had fun with the 1st party Nintendo output as usual but most of them were disappointing and some were downright terrible. Up until that point, the Wii was the weakest from any other Nintendo system in that regard. (Until the Wii U)

Retro did hit it out of the park with DKCR tho and Prime 3 was fantastic even if it wasn't as good as the first two.

The motion controls were a cool idea but that came with a tradeoff with having less buttons and no second analogue stick. No HD output really started to suck once i got my first HDTV in 2008.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite consoles, period. It was (and still is), so fun to play for me. I had my first proper experience with online on consoles with this little machine and games like MKWii. I'm a big fan of classic genres like fighting games, on-rail shooters, platformers and etc and the Wii was PACKED with them.

To this day, i don't recall playing an on-rail shooter that is better than the RE Chronicles games, Dead Space Extraction, or the ports of the HOTD. Not to mention that the console was also the superior way to play games like RE4

I'm always finding new games to have a look at or just going back to. The Gamecube + Wii + Virtual Console was just a kill combo for anyone who enjoy games

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that I bought the oldest sku bundle so it came with the original Wiimote ins tead of Wii motion Plus.... Look like I need to buy the attachment to play Skyward Sword.
My experience with the attachment has not been so hot and I've read the same from others. It really hindered my first attempt to get into Skyward but I loved it on my second foray. One of the big differences was using a Wiimote with motion+ built-in. So, I strongly recommend going for that and not the attachment.

I'll second the Zack and Wiki recommendation, too - that game is genius and wonderful. Must if you like PnC or adventure games.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Preach on op.

Still regulary playing Wii bowling with the Fam. Kororinpa and Brain Training is also a blast with everyone playing together.

Wii motion plus slicing game is also god -tier. Many a tense moment.

I could honestly see my Wii still being used for the next 10 years.

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
If you can find a copy of We Ski and Snowboard grab it and then find a balance board. Balance Boards are ridiculously cheap so that's not hard to do.

When played with the balance board, it really is one of the best experiences you can have on the Wii. 30 minutes goes by pretty quickly while you go down any of the mountaintops, and exploring what each one has. And while the graphics are a bit rough, they did a great job of nailing the feeling of speed.

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
Amidst all the shovelware, the Wii actually did have a lot of great games and I am glad people are finally starting to acknowledge that.

Was trying to build my collection recently and it was getting pretty great, had just picked up House of the Dead 2 + 3. It's fun dropping by random retailers to see what they have, some of these games are actually pretty expensive online these days.

I think my biggest regret still has to be not getting any virtual console titles before the Wii Shop Channel went down. Actually playing some of them on my friend's Wii and they run and look so well, much better than the Wii U's virtual console for some reason.

Not going to make the same mistake with the latter though, been trying to make it a thing to buy at least one virtual console game from the Wii U's eShop before that inevitably goes down. Trying to especially get as many Game Boy Advance games as they can since they look great on the Wii U + being able to play them on a TV screen instead of a small one is great.

All in all, the Wii was such a great place for so many games as well as playing so many classics.
Glad I got most of the n64 games off the Wii shop channel, I just hope my sd card doesn't fail in the thing lol