• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So I've upgraded from 100mbps to 400mbps recently with Verizon FIOS and I seriously still have issues with Wifi in my apartment. I'm like 30 feet away from the router, not even that far and yet I always seem to have so much buffering. I even have more buffering than my in-laws who have 100mbps internet.

On top of that, I constantly get dropped from online video games. I don't get what's up with my internet at all.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
maybe you need a better router or a new modem. the truth is your isp is probably just shit where you live

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
This is how I'd troubleshoot this...

1 - Plug your computer directly into your modem and run a speed test to make sure your modem is even capable of handling the 400mbps
2- If it does, then hook your router back up and run a speed test with your PC/phone/whatever over WiFi, being right next to it. If that struggles, you need a new router.

EDIT - also make sure you're on the 5ghz channel, not the 2.4

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Wifi Booster, or wired you'll need either of these. if you're on 5GHZ and it's bad is because it has the same problems as 5G cell it won't go through walls well. use 2.4GHZ in that case.

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
If you're using some ISP-provided modem/router combo unit, usually those don't have the strongest wifi.

Also important is whether your wifi signal is 2.4ghz or 5ghz, and what channel the wifi is broadcasting on (and whether it's a congested channel that your neighbors might also be using).

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need mesh and that's avoiding the issue. ISP modem/router combos are trash. Get a decent router and disable the router functionality on your ISP provided hardware.

OP
OP
Fuhgeddit

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
This is how I'd troubleshoot this...

1 - Plug your computer directly into your modem and run a speed test to make sure your modem is even capable of handling the 400mbps
2- If it does, then hook your router back up and run a speed test with your PC/phone/whatever over WiFi, being right next to it. If that struggles, you need a new router.

EDIT - also make sure you're on the 5ghz channel, not the 2.4

Yes, so I did buy a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 and I did have some buffering issues today and some lag spikes in CoD tonight. Spoke to someone from Netgear and she changed some channels. I've had less issues but after running speedtests, they seem more sporadic than the FIOS router?

Wifi Booster, or wired you'll need either of these. if you're on 5GHZ and it's bad is because it has the same problems as 5G cell it won't go through walls well. use 2.4GHZ in that case.

I thought WiFi boosters/extenders were a waste of money and not really helpful? Or is that a myth?

You don't need mesh and that's avoiding the issue. ISP modem/router combos are trash. Get a decent router and disable the router functionality on your ISP provided hardware.

Yeah, so see above. I did buy one to replace but my wife was wathcing Netflix and she had buffering. Not sure what's going on. This was before I called tech support so let's see what happens tomorrow and over the weekend. She said to give it time. I didn't think routers needed breaking in

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, so I did buy a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 and I did have some buffering issues today and some lag spikes in CoD tonight. Spoke to someone from Netgear and she changed some channels. I've had less issues but after running speedtests, they seem more sporadic than the FIOS router?

I thought WiFi boosters/extenders were a waste of money and not really helpful? Or is that a myth?

Yeah, so see above. I did buy one to replace but my wife was wathcing Netflix and she had buffering. Not sure what's going on. This was before I called tech support so let's see what happens tomorrow and over the weekend. She said to give it time. I didn't think routers needed breaking in

Double check that you're on 5ghz. 2.4ghz can be a bit crowded and spotty. Especially in an Apartment complex.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

I'm telling you dude. Just buy a ubiqiti unifi AP.

I've had that net gear night hawk. I've spent probably five times what a unifi AP costs with a switch over the last ten years.I've had Asus, net gear, linksys, just about every consumer router. Theyre almost all trash.

OP
OP
Fuhgeddit

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'm telling you dude. Just buy a ubiqiti unifi AP.

I've had that net gear night hawk. I've spent probably five times what a unifi AP costs with a switch over the last ten years.I've had Asus, net gear, linksys, just about every consumer router. Theyre almost all trash.

What really? I mean, I am a bit confused by their website. What exactly am I buying? Seems pretty pricey... Is this a unit that goes in a ceiling? Can I just place it near my ONT box and hook it up by ethernet?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
TP link Powerline for wired devices or:

TP link powerline and attach it to netgear EX7300 (this module while is technically lower than the EX7800, it got a gigabyte ethernet port so can work as an access point +wifi mesh).

Or the bigger access/wifi mesh the EX8000 with 4 ethernet ports.

The reason I went for TP link powerline and not say Netgear's is because on Netgear, you cannot disable power saving mode so it will disconnect often while you are away.

With TP link, you can configure them via web or PC software.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
What really? I mean, I am a bit confused by their website. What exactly am I buying? Seems pretty pricey... Is this a unit that goes in a ceiling? Can I just place it near my ONT box and hook it up by ethernet?
Ubiqiti is enterprise grade wifi for consumer prices.

If you got an AP just hook it to your router with an ethernet cable, create your ssid and live in bliss. You don't need to buy any of their switches or routers the APs work fine without them.

They have APs of different sizes. Some that cost the same as your r7000. Just depends on how much area you want to cover.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
My guess is that because you are in an apartment there is a lot of WiFi inference from the other tenants WiFi networks. Your best bet is just to hardwire as much as you can, if hardwired speed tests around ~90 megs then you would need to replace the Ethernet cable as well.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Did you rent your modem from the company? You may need something like docis 3.0 or 3.1 to keep up

OP
OP
Fuhgeddit

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Ubiqiti is enterprise grade wifi for consumer prices.

If you got an AP just hook it to your router with an ethernet cable, create your ssid and live in bliss. You don't need to buy any of their switches or routers the APs work fine without them.

They have APs of different sizes. Some that cost the same as your r7000. Just depends on how much area you want to cover.

My apartment is like 1400 square feet... so not sure. This isn't English to me so I apologize. I'm not really sure what creating a SSID is.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I am using 5ghz for mostly entertainment devices and consoles. Phones and laptops get 2.4ghz

Then the only other thing I can think of would be the channel your router is using. Sometimes that can be crowded by outside sources. But you said the Netgear customer service already changed that, so I'm not sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help and I hope you can get it resolved without having to buy even more stuff.

OP
OP
Fuhgeddit

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Do you get the same issues wired?

No, but wiring won't be possible to my living room.

My guess is that because you are in an apartment there is a lot of WiFi inference from the other tenants WiFi networks. Your best bet is just to hardwire as much as you can, if hardwired speed tests around ~90 megs then you would need to replace the Ethernet cable as well.

I don't live in an apartment building. I live in a house, renting the top floor.

Did you rent your modem from the company? You may need something like docis 3.0 or 3.1 to keep up

I bought it a year ago but I am not using that at the moment as I've had issues.

OP
OP
Fuhgeddit

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Then the only other thing I can think of would be the channel your router is using. Sometimes that can be crowded by outside sources. But you said the Netgear customer service already changed that, so I'm not sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help and I hope you can get it resolved without having to buy even more stuff.

I can return it if there are better options. I've been told my Verizon to get a WiFi extender but I know a few people who say they were pretty useless.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I can return it if there are better options. I've been told my Verizon to get a WiFi extender but I know a few people who say they were pretty useless.

Extender's, to my knowledge, are pretty hit and miss and the speed can be degraded. The better solutions tend to be a Powerline Adapter (uses your electrical wiring to send the signal to another physical outlet for an ethernet cable) or Mesh (fairly expensive and complex for most people). But really, a regular wifi signal *should* service you just fine.

OP
OP
Fuhgeddit

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I see, since that is the case, I echo the earlier recommendation in getting a mesh WiFi setup if your router is located on the first floor/basement as depending on your floor is made of it will cause issues with a WiFi signal.

It's one floor, that's why I don't get why I am having issues. Not sure how mesh works but I'll check it out. Any recs? Google mesh?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I have gigabit internet (ATT) and a good modern router and occasionally I'll get very brief instances of shit WiFi. It just depends on signals around you, the quality of the modem your isp gave you and the isp itself. Try changing channels and see if that helps.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
It's one floor, that's why I don't get why I am having issues. Not sure how mesh works but I'll check it out. Any recs? Google mesh?
I don't much have for recommendations as I use two Asus routers using AiMesh and while it wasn't difficult to setup, it was expensive so unless you have money burn I don't recommend that setup unless you can get the routers for dirt cheap. At least its Black Friday so many mesh systems are on sale currently

OP
OP
Fuhgeddit

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I don't much have for recommendations as I use two Asus routers using AiMesh and while it wasn't difficult to setup, it was expensive so unless you have money burn I don't recommend that setup unless you can get the routers for dirt cheap. At least its Black Friday so many mesh systems are on sale currently

Thinking I might try the Google WiFi Mesh

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I have similar issues. I have 300/300 internet and I can't even watch YouTube or browse reddit on my phone. Reddit never loads and youtube can't buffer past like 240p. It works fine though if I use my laptop with my WiFi.