• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
So, so sorry for your loss
In the UK we have local community help groups and the Citizens Advice Bureau which can help give advice on a number of ways, hopefully you have something the same
Please do not be afraid to ask for help though and we are all here for you as well

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The only advice I can give OP is don't hesitate to ask for help from your family and friends.

Especially with any feelings of depression. Thats an insidious disease that you sometimes don't even know you are suffering from.

My sincere condolences on your loss.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss, unfortunately I can't give you any advice relating jobs, but I can say that you sound like a smart and good person. I'm sure your baby is in good hands! You can make it.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I am truly sorry for your loss, OP. You & your family are in my thoughts. Losing your significant other is something I couldn't begin to fathom. :(

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Please seek out grief counseling. This only happened last week. I don't know you and maybe you put a lot of effort into restraining your emotions when you type, but based on how calm you come across, you could be in shock right now. Remember to take care of yourself. It's hard to take care of others if you haven't tended to your own needs.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that's horrible. Really feel for you.

But I don't know wether I could be as calm as you about having to wait a 'couple of months' to find out the cause. Feel like that's nowhere near good enough from medical professionals, when she was young and healthy.

Anyway, sorry for your loss and hope your pain eases!

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss.

A support network is super important at times like these, so it's good that it sounds like your family is trying to help.

Child care will definitely be hard with your job, so I think trying to change to something less time-intensive is the right call. As for child care, it sounds like you live far away from family, so is it possible to move back closer to someone who can help look after your dogs and your kid?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I would be a wreck if my wife died like this, I honestly don't know how I'd recover. Just reading your story was so difficult. Kudos to you for having the ability to push on and look forward in what must be the most painful of times.

I'm not sure I have any advice but I wish you all the best on your journey. Never be afraid to ask for help.

Oct 27, 2017
Find a support group, even if you think you don't need one. Don't try to tough it out. Feel your feelings. Talk about it with people. When your kid grows up - talk with them as well, let them know who their mother was.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Community! Surround yourself with family and friends who can support you. Don't try to go it alone.

If you're not already connected with a church, find a great one in your area and let the community there come around you and lift you up. If I were in the same situation, that's exactly what I'd do – I know I'd get help there.

Seek out single parent resources in your area. You're not alone in this, and others in similar boats will know how to help the best.

Preserve any and all photos and/or videos of your wife now so you don't lose track of them. Years from now you'll want to be able to share with your son all about his Mom!

You got this, Dad! Prayers up for you and your little guy. :)

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Community! Surround yourself with family and friends who can support you. Don't try to go it alone.

If you're not already connected with a church, find a great one in your area and let the community there come around you and lift you up. If I were in the same situation, that's exactly what I'd do – I know I'd get help there.

Seek out single parent resources in your area. You're not alone in this, and others in similar boats will know how to help the best.

Preserve any and all photos and/or videos of your wife now so you don't lose track of them. Years from now you'll want to be able to share with your son all about his Mom!

You got this, Dad! Prayers up for you and your little guy. :)

OP, I'm incredibly sorry for your loss, but I think Lucas here has the right idea.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Ask your family and friends for help. If your parents or in-laws are retired and capable, ask them for help with child care in the short term while you get things worked out. I'm sure they'll be willing to help.

If you're not already doing it or planning on doing it, go visit a therapist. That's a lot to handle and even if you're feeling okay now, it'll catch up to you. You need to take care of yourself as best you can because that's the only way you can care for your kid.

It honestly sounds like you've got a good handle on the situation at hand and have a plan for the future, just make sure to leverage all that support from friends and family to get you where you need to go. Those people love you and will do all the can to help you out.

Now, I'm not doing this as a single dad, but if you want to get additional education to put on your resume, consider something like WGU. It's something that you can do while your kid is asleep at night and it'll make you a more attractive candidate when it comes to applying for a job. You can works towards something that will compliment your current experience and provide a breadth of knowledge that expands beyond the position you have now.

Mostly, right now, just make sure you're taking care of yourself so you can take care of your baby.

I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss, I can only begin to imagine the pain you feel. I hope you find peace and closure and that you can provide the best life possible for you and your baby.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
So so sorry op this is sad as fuck.

I'm UK based but have a friend who became a single dad with a 6 day old baby after the mother passed away. 5 years later they are doing great...

He leaned on family support a lot and cut down his hours (his employer was very understanding as well which helped). He has actually just got engaged to another single parent and they are now becoming a happy family unit.

Take all the help you need from everything and everyone, it's not failing if do this, it's actually being stronger by admitting you need help.

Time is a healer you will get through this.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I am so sorry.

I don't have any advice but don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you want someone to talk to. I can't even contemplate what your going through right now.

Take care of yourself my man.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
It's a fear of mine, as my wife is not the healthiest. Damn man.

I really, really wish you the best going forward.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Been married for 14 years and this is one of my greatest fears. I'm deeply sorry. I always ask myself the same question, what will I do. As far as what you should do, I'm honestly not sure. But we are all here for you.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Heartbreaking... At a loss for words. 'My condolences' just doesn't seem to cover it.

I would seek the support groups that were linked in this thread. I'm sure you're still processing what's happened, but when you're ready that may be the healthiest thing to do.

I'm so sorry, man.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
My only advice is to look up for some government job, as others have already mentioned.

Sorry for your loss.

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be a calendar year of firsts. Go easy on yourself, you are allowed to have moments of grief.

Don't accept a delay on insurance.

If support groups or resources end up dragging you down or being unhelpful, don't be afraid to move on from them. If you find state-level resouces to be insufficient for you or your child, you may have found a new cause in which to channel your energy.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really sorry for your loss, I would be totally destroyed emotionally and mentally if I was in your position.

I would say that you should lean on your family as much as they are able to help, family is probably the most important thing for you and your baby right now.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. I'm so sorry. My mom passed away suddenly at 49. The suddenness is so tough to grapple with.

Someone may have mentioned this but you can apply for social security for your child: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

Do this as soon as possible.

I echo looking for a church or community connection if you are into that. There's a lot that will help with things like childcare and other assistance as well.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I want to offer my condolences OP. I'm a dad and I don't know what I would do without my wife. I do know that she would want me to continue to raise our daughter to be a strong caring person like herself. Make sure to lean on those who offer support and take time to grieve. At some point the shock will wear off and that's when it gets really hard.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Shit, I am so sorry for your loss. That is unbelievably awful.