• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Alright, so my wife's 40th birthday is this weekend. Due to having grad school applications due on Tuesday, she told me to focus on that and that her friends would take care of planning her birthday.

Well, due to recent increase in covid restrictions, the plans her friends made seem to be on the fritz.
As of now it looks like we have nothing at all lined up, I didn't even get a gift.
What should I do so that her 40th isn't a complete bust. I feel fucked, and I still have a lot of work to do on my applications.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Buy flowers online and spend a good chunk of time writing out a very heartfelt card.

Not to rail on you, but having her friends take care of her birthday doesn't absolve you of doing something imo.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Can you cook?

And buy some chocolate/flowers/wine/whatever she likes.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're screwed. We all know that messing this up invalidates everything you've ever done for her up until this point.

But for real, try to do something cute

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
order her a super soaker and some haribo gold bears on amazon dot com. I'd be jazzed if I got that for my birthday

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Buy flowers online and spend a good chunk of time writing out a very heartfelt card.

Not to rail on you, but having her friends take care of her birthday doesn't absolve you of doing something imo.
Exactly. Like, the op makes no sense.

But also, heartfelt letters are always my go-to. Recap the good times you've had and tell them how much you love em.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
fb0.jpg

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Letters are always nice. You can make dinner too.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I got my wife a TV for her 40th. We still had a shitty 720p TV in the bedroom. I then ran an ethernet cable across the house so that it didn't stutter or have loading issues. Got a nice sound bar too. She got me the worst vacation I've ever had 3 years ago, so it seemed fair. Don't go to Gatlinburg, TN.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got my wife a half ounce of weed and some dick for her 35th birthday and she loved it.

its the simple things.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Jewelry, flowers, and something sweet (besides you). The jewelry store should be able to wrap it for you. The other two do not need wrapping.
Cook some steaks, baked potatoes, fancy rolls, and add a salad. Buy a cake.

G59

Nov 1, 2017
U.S.
Some good tips in here... this of course all depends on what kind of person your wife is. There is no "one size fits all" for a SO's birthday. That being said, if you generally don't cook I'm sure it would mean a lot if you made a nice home cooked meal, fancy meals aren't near as hard as TV shows make them look if you can read and make a trip to the grocery. Someone mentioned massages. A long foot or back rub never goes wrong. On top of that buy a card but spend some time writing a really nice long note inside. Tell her all the things you love about her (try to pick the small things she would never think you even notice much less enjoy about her). Plan to bring her breakfast in bed the morning after her birthday. These are some easy cost effective solutions but I have a lot more. I've been with my wife for 17 years happily married 12. I like to think it's one of the few things I'm good at is making my wife happy and to feel appreciated. Good Luck!

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cook a nice meal for her...at least if you can do it without setting the house on fire. It doesn't even have to be great. It's the thought that counts! :P
You don't need a gift. She probably doesn't even expect or want one.

Just show that you value your time together more than anything, at least for that one day, despite any other comitments you might have.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RIP OP

Just kidding, I like that she cares enough about you to tell you to focus on your big exam.

Do exactly that.

But then pick a day to randomly surprise her with a belated super special birthday bash. Break out the wine, weaponize hugs and kisses, do her chores, and get some movies. Bonus points if you get her on a day that she is feeling down. She should appreciate that at least.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Does she like makeup/skincare/haircare stuff? A gift certificate to Sephora or Ulta is always nice (personally i'd love it), i shop at both places a ton

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I got my wife a TV for her 40th. We still had a shitty 720p TV in the bedroom. I then ran an ethernet cable across the house so that it didn't stutter or have loading issues. Got a nice sound bar too. She got me the worst vacation I've ever had 3 years ago, so it seemed fair. Don't go to Gatlinburg, TN.

lol this made me chuckle

QuantumDream

Oct 31, 2017
Wake up early the morning of her Birthday and surprise her with breakfast in bed, Draw her a nice relaxing bubble bath, Watch her all time favorite movie with her, Order some dinner from her favorite restaurant. Don't forget a delicious cake. Call her friends and family and set up a surprise Zoom Call. And at the end of the day show her that you ordered a piece of jewelry with her birthstone in it ( Tanzanite ).

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why did you think it was a good idea to not get her a gift, even if her friends were supposed to plan the party? Most people learn to ignore the 'nah no need to get me a present' when they are about 15 years old.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Surprise her with some jewelry or something she wants.

You still have time to go to the store and get her something.

Go all out to make her feel special.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
My wife's 40th is in three weeks and our divorce is finalized in one week.

I don't have to do a damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll still be nice and wish her a happy birthday

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

All we can do now is recommend good divorce attorneys.

Srsly tho. Tale her to the arcade! Dames love arcades.

Or get some bad cake and some good wine, her favorite tv show or movie, and draw her a hot bath with some bubbles in it.

Maybe a nice shoulder massage before the bath.

You got this, OP. Just show that you care. That's the only important thing.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
You have plenty of time to put something together. Help us out, though, and tell us more about her and what she enjoys.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
If she's close to family/friends organize a fun collective zoom or FaceTime. Always good to throw some misdirection.

Also make a photo album online, get it printed, bound nicely, and sent to you. Seriously.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Order the flowers now, dumbass. lol

There's also the tried and true "amazon fucked up" and you also order that shit right now.

Since you seem like you don't have the free time to do something more personal and involved, check one of these boxes and order food you normally wouldn't and some alcohol. It's an almost lockdown during a pandemic when you have a lot of serious work to do. You can probably skate with this display of minimal effort since you know... the world is on fire. Hiding in plain sight and all that :-D

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
What are her interests? You can probably get a gift that she would like in short notice. It's her 40th you should try to do something, even if small.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
Alright, so my wife's 40th birthday is this weekend. Due to having grad school applications due on Tuesday, she told me to focus on that and that her friends would take care of planning her birthday.

Well, due to recent increase in covid restrictions, the plans her friends made seem to be on the fritz.
As of now it looks like we have nothing at all lined up, I didn't even get a gift.
What should I do so that her 40th isn't a complete bust. I feel fucked, and I still have a lot of work to do on my applications.

Go on Cameo and get a happy birthday message from someone who she is into.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Take out from her fave spot, order a cake to be delivered from a solid local bakery, order flowers to be delivered, write a card.

Get all of her friends on a zoom call to wish her happy birthday and toast to her 40th. Then just have a good time and make sure she has fun.

Done deal.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am i naive? cause like it sounds like she's not expecting anything. getting her flowers seems fine

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My bf has a big birthday coming up soon. Here's what I'm doing but not sure you'd be able to pull this together in time, maybe a mini version at least?

-I reached out to all of his friends and family and asked them to record a short video wishing him a happy birthday and anything else they might want to say
-I'm compiling all of them into one file and probably getting a Cameo of maybe some Drag Race contestant wishing him a happy birthday to kick it off
-I rented a movie theater screening room (surprisingly inexpensive) for just the two of us to watch the videos and then whatever else