• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It was some pretty lucky timing, though. Would be way worse if Endgame was now the one being pushed. At least now the delay corresponds with a natural break in the narrative.
The release dates are going to catch up with 2023 sooner than we expected

I don't know how Shang-Chi makes a May release date when filming has stopped for who knows how long. Spider-Man also won't be able to film any time soon.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wonder if the biggest victim in all this is going to be Disney+. The free year that Verizon gave away expires in the Fall, and you could tell that the releases of Falcon, Mando Season 2, and Wandavision were all designed to retain those customers right as they had to actually start paying. Now they may find themselves with an onslaught of unsubscriptions, and no content to draw them back.

I wonder if the biggest victim in all this is going to be Disney+. The free year that Verizon gave away expires in the Fall, and you could tell that the releases of Falcon, Mando Season 2, and Wandavision were all designed to retain those customers right as they had to actually start paying. Now they may find themselves with an onslaught of unsubscriptions, and no content to draw them back.

I honestly think they will have growth due to the fact that people have to stay home and many will lean on popular libraries.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit and Spidey 3 might get pushed back too.

So we at one Marvel thing this year.

Looks like BP2 on May 2022 stays and the 4th 2022 MCU film will be a toss up.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's weird that this might actually work out in Disney's favor, at least as far as the MCU goes.

I've already talked to people over the past couple months who said they were missing having a Marvel movie to go see.

By the time November rolls around, it will be a year and a half since the last MCU film. That could give it an additional boost.

Oct 28, 2017
Prequel to Rochelle Rochelle.
16ujhe.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

On the other hand, subs could be up because people can't leave their house.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Milan is funny but I'm more amused by the op just leaving out 'Black' from 'Black Widow' to get the thread posted .1 seconds faster.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They should cancel New Mutants and just use the footage for flashbacks for Old Mutants now that all the cast will be legitimately actual adults by the time it comes out.

Like The Cage/The Menagerie.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Wonder what this means for Chloe Zhao's Nomadland which was shot but waiting on Eternals to wrap to start post-production.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

For new stuff it'll absolutely suck.

But with a few strokes of a pen, some lawyers, and maybe some time to pass for other deals to run out - they have a huge catalog of stuff still to put out there.

whatsondisneyplus.com

Over 600 Disney-Owned Films And Shows Missing From Disney Plus | What's On Disney Plus

When the streaming service launched back in November 2019, Disney Plus did fans a great favor when they announced future release dates for 77 of their recent films. Since then, titles such as Cool Run

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's weird that this might actually work out in Disney's favor, at least as far as the MCU goes.

I've already talked to people over the past couple months who said they were missing having a Marvel movie to go see.

By the time November rolls around, it will be a year and a half since the last MCU film. That could give it an additional boost.
Yeah, Black Widow was probably going to do solid, Ant-Man-esque numbers - but now the delay is going to make it huge (assuming people actually want to go to theaters).

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel not snatching up August was a bone headed move. My guess Spidey 3 could be 2021 still but who knows? Sony will ultimately decide its fate. Antman 3 is small man on the end of the stick though.

And that's not forgetting the D+ stuff.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Anecdotally, I know quite a few people who felt exhausted with the MCU after Infinity War and Endgame and weren't particularly looking forward to Phase 4 at all. I wonder if this break will give them enough time to feel invigorated enough to be interested in it again.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Marvel not snatching up August was a bone headed move. My guess Spidey 3 could be 2021 still but who knows? Sony will ultimately decide its fate. Antman 3 is small man on the end of the stick though.

And that's not forgetting the D+ stuff.
Wonder Woman is taking August. Even Disney is smart enough not to really contest that. (Also they still have The King's Man in that space from that film's last delay - so they already have counterprogramming).

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder Woman is taking August. Even Disney is smart enough not to really contest that. (Also they still have The King's Man in that space from that film's last delay - so they already have counterprogramming).
Don't forget the smaller fare they planned on.

People forget the Bob's Burgers movie was set for July but considering we still haven't seen anything from it, that's likely pushed back.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Watching a mcu movie in the theaters is pretty much as close to back to 'normal' as we can get for many

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Watching a mcu movie in the theaters is pretty much as close to back to 'normal' as we can get for many

Completely agreed. It will be things like blockbuster movies that make the public feel at ease again. A sense of normalcy.

Honestly, I think there's a good chance that both Mulan and Wonder Woman gets pushed again but that Black Widow might be able to release, which would put it in a very interesting spot.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, didn't realize Soul was still dated for June.

I thought Widow might have been September, but man November is a hell of a wait for new Marvel. I don't see why they don't just put Widow in July, keep Eternals in November, and move Mulan to next Feb for Chinese New Year? Whatever, what do I know!

The Doctor Strange delay is probably great news for Sam Raimi though. Shang-Chi in the May date seems like a weird choice but I guess, assuming production resumes this summer, there'll just be no time to have it finished for February.

Jungle Cruise already got pushed back months and now it's happening again. Also, Indiana Jones 5 gets screwed again.
That was probably going to happen with Indy anyway given the director change.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Nice one, China still has theaters closed .

At first they opened some but closed them all soon after that because they didn't want to risk it
Wouldn't the comparable time for them be trying to open theaters at the end of this month or early may? Or do I have my timelines off

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
But what theatres will they even play in in North America? I fear AMC's done after today's news, and Cineplex isn't look hot for Canada...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, didn't realize Soul was still dated for June.

I thought Widow might have been September, but man November is a hell of a wait for new Marvel. I don't see why they don't just put Widow in July, keep Eternals in November, and move Mulan to next Feb for Chinese New Year? Whatever, what do I know!
I was personally hoping for September for Black Widow, and I really wouldn't be surprised if Mulan ends up at Chinese New Year time.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Could it be GOTG3? Or Blade? I'm not sure what else is announced for theatrical releases
Originally 2022 was going to have Ant-Man 3 in Feb (not announced but rumored to have started pre-production), Black Panther 2 in May, Captain Marvel 2 in July (rumored but now confirmed), and something TBD in Oct. Since Thor took the Feb date, my guess is Ant-Man 3 will now either move to October or they'll hold it over to 2023 and put something else like Blade or Deadpool in that October '22 slot.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
As it stands right now, it still seems like June/July for some of these movies is generous at best. There's going to be a lot of people fearful of returning to large gatherings (and yes, probably plenty who wont care) but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
Please release New Mutants on Hulu or something, I've been wanting to see this for so long :(

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Here are the upcoming comic book movies now

Wonder Woman - Aug 2020
Venom 2 - Oct 2020
Black Widow - Nov 2020

Eternals - Feb 2021
Morbius - Mar 2021
Shang-Chi - May 2021
The Batman - June 2021
Spider-Man 3 - July 2021 (maybe)
The Suicide Squad - Aug 2021
Doctor Strange 2 - Nov 2021
Black Adam - Dec 2021

Thor: Love and Thunder - Feb 2022
Shazam! 2 - April 2022
Black Panther 2 - May 2022
The Flash - June 2022
Captain Marvel 2 - July 2022
Aquaman 2 - Dec 2022

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I can see Spidey 3 sticking with that date or getting pushed to December 2021

Also Spiderverse 2 was also set for April 2022

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Here are the upcoming comic book movies now

Wonder Woman - Aug 2020
Venom 2 - Oct 2020
Black Widow - Nov 2020

Eternals - Feb 2021
Morbius - Mar 2021
Shang-Chi - May 2021
The Batman - June 2021
Spider-Man 3 - July 2021 (maybe)
The Suicide Squad - Aug 2021
Doctor Strange 2 - Nov 2021
Black Adam - Dec 2021

Thor: Love and Thunder - Feb 2022
Shazam! 2 - April 2022
Black Panther 2 - May 2022
The Flash - June 2022
Captain Marvel 2 - July 2022
Aquaman 2 - Dec 2022

Put a maybe by The Batman as well. They had to stop shooting.