• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I've got a router upstairs and it's hard-lined to my main workstation tower. I'm paying for 5G bandwidth wi-fi yet the signal isn't strong enough for consistency on devices on the first floor (drops playing Rocket League, streaming quality nose dives or disconnects on switches and laptops).

Seen those Google WiFi boosters at Costco but wasn't sure if they were any good, also not sure if they support the 5G signal.

Any advice or suggestions you could make on my behalf would be appreciated. Even if it's just YouTube review videos...Thanks Era

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I am keenly interested in this as well. The router is on the other end of the house, and I get shit signal in my bedroom.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I used the TP Link Deco to set up a mesh WiFi system in my house. It was very easy to setup. It literally took about 30 minutes. You have to wire at least one node via Ethernet and the rest can work remotely.

I don't know how it works but I can now stream video in my garage and I haven't had to disconnect from WiFi once since I set it up.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I've got a router upstairs and it's hard-lined to my main workstation tower. I'm paying for 5G bandwidth wi-fi yet the signal isn't strong enough for consistency on devices on the first floor (drops playing Rocket League, streaming quality nose dives or disconnects on switches and laptops).

Seen those Google WiFi boosters at Costco but wasn't sure if they were any good, also not sure if they support the 5G signal.

Any advice or suggestions you could make on my behalf would be appreciated. Even if it's just YouTube review videos...Thanks Era
I am keenly interested in this as well. The router is on the other end of the house, and I get shit signal in my bedroom.

WiFi "boosters" or repeaters aren't the solution.

You want a mesh network setup.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Stay away from wi-fi boosters and go to hardwired APs (if you can), or a mesh wi-fi system. The Google system at CostCo is a mesh system, not just signal boosters, and has good performance if you don't mind Google snooping on everything you do.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wifi is so bad for rocket league though. I have yet to try a mesh system but I know it would be much better than a Repeater. You also have powerline adapters as well.

If there is any way you can run an ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs then that would be the first thing I would try out.

Vagrant

Oct 27, 2017
I used the TP Link Deco to set up a mesh WiFi system in my house. It was very easy to setup. It literally took about 30 minutes. You have to wire at least one node via Ethernet and the rest can work remotely.

I don't know how it works but I can now stream video in my garage and I haven't had to disconnect from WiFi once since I set it up.
That's me. Mesh networks are a bit expensive but completely worth it.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I have a question about the mesh routers. Can you connect ethernet port and get internet way? I have an old desktop with no wifi and instead of running cables or powerline I was wondering.if that was a solution

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about the mesh routers. Can you connect ethernet port and get internet way? I have an old desktop with no wifi and instead of running cables or powerline I was wondering.if that was a solution

Some do have ethernet ports for hardwire connections on the base and satellites, some don't. You'll have to research to make sure the system you're looking at has those ports.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Switching to a nice mesh system was by far one of the best purchases I made in the past couple of years. Would highly recommend over other options. I live in an old concrete multistory high-rise apartment and still get amazing connection throughout the floors.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017

The Google mesh wifi routers all have one port for hard wiring a single device on them (each mesh point can have one ethernet-wired device).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, you want a mesh router system. Wifi extenders are terrible and even the best ones don't work very well.
Id say one further, you want a Unifi setup.

I picked up an Amplifi system during covid for a little retail therapy, it's been amazing thus far. It's got a lot less options than my old nighthawk but it just works, whole house covered, gets the yard, coverage for days. It was expensive, but it's handling a heavy load.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
i'm trying to decide what to do about my signal issues here too. It's only a 900 square foot house so even though the router's in the basement, I think I might be fine just getting a router with a stronger signal. Mesh is tempting but it might be overkill for a house this tiny.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've never even looked into wifi mesh. do these connect to your router and you get extended range that way? do you keep using your regular wifi name or do you need to use different ones for each mesh?

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
i've never even looked into wifi mesh. do these connect to your router and you get extended range that way? do you keep using your regular wifi name or do you need to use different ones for each mesh?

The mesh systems that are being sold out there are a series of access points that all interconnect with each other wirelessly to both spread signal farther and more reliably, as well as get around the issues with wireless boosters/repeaters reducing your overall bandwidth. If you can't run a physical ethernet cable to an area to directly hook up an access point (the most reliable way to do it), mesh is your next option.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mesh systems that are being sold out there are a series of access points that all interconnect with each other wirelessly to both spread signal farther and more reliably, as well as get around the issues with wireless boosters/repeaters reducing your overall bandwidth. If you can't run a physical ethernet cable to an area to directly hook up an access point (the most reliable way to do it), mesh is your next option.
can I get multiple access points from each? My router has 2 different access points for 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I have some stuff in my house on 2.4 but I use 5 ghz for my laptop.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
can I get multiple access points from each? My router has 2 different access points for 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I have some stuff in my house on 2.4 but I use 5 ghz for my laptop.

The mesh systems can run simultaneous different ghz signals, and automatically switch to whatever is fastest for your device where you are in the home.

I got a Google mesh system for its ease of use and integration with other stuff I had, and it has wiped out the signal drops I used to get. I had to use a powerline ethernet cable before to ensure I had a strong stable signal for work, but now can even work in my basement without issues.

I got one router plus a point to cover three floors/2100 square feet.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

Every mesh system I've worked with has allowed you to setup at least 2 wi-fi networks, one for 2.4 and one for 5. Some higher-end ones allow you to create multiple networks on top of those like higher-end standard routers.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The Google wifi only supports 2.4 ghz and doesn't have a great range for a mesh system

Edit: nevermind, this might have changed at some point or depending on model

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
I have a D link powerline extender for wifi since my main floor has concrete walls. Went from 30mb to 100mb on the far side of the house.

Mr Bungle

Dec 11, 2017
I've setup 4 different networks with eero. 15 minute setup and your WiFi issues should go away.

OP
OP
pixelpatron

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I ended up going with:

TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi System (Deco S4)

TPLINK_DECO_20S4_3PCK_800x.jpg

Ordered off Amazon, came the very next day, was surprised it came so fast to be honest. It was super easy to setup and getting the other satellite nodes hooked up. I was able to confirm on PS4 when I was setting up I was getting around 16-18mbs on my 2.4ghz network (before the mesh) , I'd get around 80mps on my 5G network through my router (before the mesh)....I'd drop to low numbers with a lot of devices running, and the 5G was so inconsistent I'd constantly get dropped games, intermittently switch quality, and sometimes just fully crap out during peak times on Friday and Saturday nights.

Post hooking up the mesh network I was able to make a network name, define a WiFi password and I forced the 5G network to the downstairs area (by just eliminating the option for 2.4 on my network setup for the PS4). By isolating bandwidth and increasing it in areas I was having issues, and in the other rooms where my kids have access I forced their network to 2.5ghz and saw them at consistent 20-25mps on their devices, and on my PS4 with the mesh at 5ghz I was able to get 100mbs. So I'm pretty happy with it, it lets you setup multiple networks from your router so being able to split stuff per device (parent stuff 5G, kids stuff 2.4G....they mainly watch youtube and netflix, and don't need the bandwidth on the HD TV, but we like the family room to be full 4k). I also setup a guest wi-fi name and password so I don't have to give out my main anymore and on my hardline router I made the password very difficult 20 numbers, so it's more secure....It's still all so new, and I want to give it a full week/weekend (curious how it'll handle things next Friday night) before reporting back with an update).

Oh ya there was about a 6 minute firmware update, but it was easy. Don't do what I did and plug in everything from the start. START with downloading the app...lol. I was always never one for directions. I almost always pay the price...will I ever learn?

Great purchase/recommendation, thanks Era!

Last edited:

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a friend with a big house, maybe 4,000sqft over four floors, plus out buildings. It's all old stone walls and concrete load bearing walls all over the place.

They get awful WiFi signal from their main router, and I've been looking at a mesh for them, but I'm just not sure it will overcome the inherent problems with their ridiculously thick walls.

I was going to suggest power lines for them, with wifi, but that needs some work as they've got three phases.

OP
OP
pixelpatron

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I've got a friend with a big house, maybe 4,000sqft over four floors, plus out buildings. It's all old stone walls and concrete load bearing walls all over the place.

They get awful WiFi signal from their main router, and I've been looking at a mesh for them, but I'm just not sure it will overcome the inherent problems with their ridiculously thick walls.

I was going to suggest power lines for them, with wifi, but that needs some work as they've got three phases.
I'd say go for the mesh system, easy returns at Amazon, or return at Khols/Amazon locker.

Oct 28, 2017
Eero is a pretty fantastic Mesh product.

I have used Orbi and Nest/Google WiFi. My internet is Fios Gig. I'd rank the devices eero, orbi and Google.

I put google at the bottom because the pucks just don't have great range and provided me with the slowest speeds.

Orbi provided the furthest range with fast speeds but the equipment was just temperamental and required restarts and Netgear firmware would constantly fuck it up.

This has led me to the Eero Pro 6 setup I'm currently using. These devices have a medium to long range and are the fastest of the three. I also find the equipment and firmware to be rock solid and requiring no tampering or rebooting. I also like their included Secure option with network wide Adblock(I know that I could also accomplish this on piHole).

So while I'm slightly concerned about Eero being owned by Amazon I do fine that their HomeKit integration will give me the privacy I want for my iot devices.
Highly recommend Eero.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
That's a bit overkill for the average home user.

I mean, pfSense is great too, but I'm not going to recommend that everyone setup their own custom system.
is it though? see below.

I'd recommend AmpliFi. It's basically the user-friendly version of that.

as I outline in my Unifi thread Ubiquiti Mesh Wi-Fi |OT| Pretty Fly for a Wi-Fi | ResetEra
Most people don't actually need a mesh wifi system, unless they're house is bigger than 2k sq ft or they have concrete walls, or some other signal reducing issue like electrical wires in the walls.

I had top of the line nighthawk that cost over 300 bucks and it couldnt keep up. Unifi does though, for less money.

the amplifi system costs 350 bucks, wheras the unifi HD Pro costs 150 bucks. Hardwiring it in is going to produce better results than mesh. And if you need more coverage 2+ hardwired APs is going to out perform any mesh system. I have 2 APs, a HD Pro and AC Lite that cover our house 4k sq ft and outside areas with ease.

if you have absolutely no way to hardwire ethernet, then yes get a mesh system, or create one with the Unifi APs.

At this point, you want a mesh router system. Wifi extenders are terrible and even the best ones don't work very well.

I picked up an Amplifi system during covid for a little retail therapy, it's been amazing thus far. It's got a lot less options than my old nighthawk but it just works, whole house covered, gets the yard, coverage for days. It was expensive, but it's handling a heavy load.
yup.
I don't even know what the hell you're saying.
im sorry you haven't experienced the magical world of Ubuiquiti.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
A good mesh system -- Google/Nest Wifi is one -- will do the trick. I have four of them for our house and it covers everything great, including the yard and driveway/garage (where I download most of my shit before leaving for the day)

There's a handful of mesh wifi systems and they're all pretty idiot proof from what I understand. I love the GOogle Wifi one because it's dead easy to set up, and it has an app that helps you find week points and position your access points in a way that covers more of your house. It also has great built in data tools, daily automatic speed tests that it saves for you, data use by device, total data use by month, etc. I'm sure the others are good too, but I'm happy with the Google Wifi one, and the 3 access point starter pacvk is a good place to start. I've pretty much never had to restart the wifi system, or at least, it's so rare that I forget when the last time I've had to do it.

edit

Nice glad you got a good setup. One thing to remember is that 5Ghz band isn't always ideal. 5ghz is best for devices that are close to the access points, ideally without anything blocking them. 5ghz has trouble moving through multiple walls, fabric like curtains or mattresses/beds, shower curtains, etc. So while it can be really fast in the same room, just moving a couple rooms away can really kill performance. I had an issue with my old Pixel 3 phone where it *always* defaulted to 5Ghz in my bedroom but the access point was in the hall upstairs, and it made using xCloud/Xbox Streaming impossible in my bedroom, but if I walked .. like 15 steps to the hall, it'd be flawless. We have horsehair plaster w/ drywall *over* it in some rooms, old ass house, and so that basically makes like 2 walls the 5ghz band has to pass thru and it just totally fails. 2.4ghz would work fine but my pixel 3 refused to let me change bands, I don't have the problem anymroe.

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't actually need a mesh wifi system, unless they're house is bigger than 2k sq ft or they have concrete walls, or some other signal reducing issue like electrical wires in the walls.

I had top of the line nighthawk that cost over 300 bucks and it couldnt keep up. Unifi does though, for less money.

the amplifi system costs 350 bucks, wheras the unifi HD Pro costs 150 bucks. Hardwiring it in is going to produce better results than mesh. And if you need more coverage 2+ hardwired APs is going to out perform any mesh system. I have 2 APs, a HD Pro and AC Lite that cover our house 4k sq ft and outside areas with ease.

if you have absolutely no way to hardwire ethernet, then yes get a mesh system, or create one with the Unifi APs.
I think that's fair, but my approach went for ease of use. With AmpliFi, you just plug it in, open the app, and it'll basically do the rest, and then you get a solid, Ubiquiti network. It's great for those who aren't tech-inclined (or just don't feel like doing extra work), with the trade-off being just price.