• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I struggle to get into this game. I really like it, and I have a good time when I play it, but I got it at launch, and I'm not far in it whatsoever. Like, I'll play for a weekend and get super into it, then on the Monday I'll just feel burnt out, and drop it for months.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Second best FF game after XIV. Loved playing through it last year. Also the combat is far superior to the earlier FF games.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Still my favorite Final Fantasy game of the series, though not sure I'll get it at launch with that price tag. Will see.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I prefer the not zodiac age system.
All of the characters could be almost everything, yes.. but I think the jobs introduced later are not the way the game was intended to be.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Still somewhat early on and I like the settings, music, fast forward system and characters so far, but combat/gambit system is still complicated for me. I keep dying on a boss
Fire horse boss
and not sure if I'm underleveled or lack skill in understanding it's mechanics. I'm hoping it's not a lot of grinding I need to do.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Time & Eternity is... "special". I never thought I'd say this, but I can even sort-of get why people like FF XIII (a game I truly, deeply, detest) after having played it, because it's just that bad. The art's pretty and the music is OK, but the MC is a reprehensible pervert (the first conversation in the game has him make sexual passes at his fiancée's friends IN FRONT OF HER), the gameplay is lame and it's technically just a step above Ride to Hell.
I can believe Toki Towa there could be the worst RPG of all time. I'm curious to try it, but it sucks that's PS3 only, as far as I know.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I absolutely hate this game, which is a strong word, but Final Fantasy was my favourite series until this monstrosity came along and helped turn the franchise from gaming classics like VI, VII and IX, into "Alright, I guess" games like XIII & XV.

The story is dull and the characters are tedious. Gone is the charm. You thought the voice acting in X was a bit too anime? Heeeeeeerrrrreeeee's XII! Turn based battles are gone, but not really, it's a weird mish mash of both because "Da kids want action!" - excels in neither as a result. The fast forward button is included in ZA which relieves some of the boredom, but i don't think it ever gives you a reason to care, it just allows you get the experience over and done with so you can move on and play a good FF game to cleanse yourself of this mistake.

Overlook it!

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely hate this game, which is a strong word, but Final Fantasy was my favourite series until this monstrosity came along and helped turn the franchise from gaming classics like VI, VII and IX, into "Alright, I guess" games like XIII & XV.

The story is dull and the characters are tedious. Gone is the charm. You thought the voice acting in X was a bit too anime? Heeeeeeerrrrreeeee's XII! Turn based battles are gone, but not really, it's a weird mish mash of both because "Da kids want action!" - excels in neither as a result. The fast forward button is included in ZA which relieves some of the boredom, but i don't think it ever gives you a reason to care, it just allows you get the experience over and done with so you can move on and play a good FF game to cleanse yourself of this mistake.

Overlook it!
You're joking right ? You must be joking

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Is the story any good?
I only played an hour or so, and dropped it more than a decade ago.

Last edited:

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
How in the world is FFXII's voice acting too anime? What the fuck
I assume you were talking to me? I take it you never played with the Japanese VA's? Tip: Don't.

The English VA is well acted and overall it's well localised, although I'm hesitant to praise it too much because the material doesn't exactly set the world on fire. Especially when comparing it to it's ancestors.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I assume you were talking to me? I take it you never played with the Japanese VA's? Tip: Don't.

The English VA is well acted and overall it's well localised, although I'm hesitant to praise it too much because the material doesn't exactly set the world on fire. Especially when comparing it to it's ancestors.

The writing and VA in 12 is worlds above anything else the series has produced. Like, I love FF from 1 on, but the writing has never been stellar.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

Ohhhhh okay. I just assumed you were talking about the English version.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
The writing and VA in 12 is worlds above anything else the series has produced. Like, I love FF from 1 on, but the writing has never been stellar.
In what way? I'd argue that from 3 - 10, while the localisation wasn't always on point, the games demanded your interest. XII was well written in the sense that it made dialogue seem more natural, but it offered nothing to keep you excited and want to keep playing.

Ohhhhh okay. I just assumed you were talking about the English version.
That's OK, I wasn't clear :)

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
In what way? I'd argue that from 3 - 10, while the localisation wasn't always on point, the games demanded your interest. XII was well written in the sense that it made dialogue seem more natural, but it offered nothing to keep you excited and want to keep playing.

That's OK, I wasn't clear :)

I find 12's story, despite the obvious point where things went a bit awry, to be very compelling.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
Is the story any good?

The zodiac age version is a way better game, just an FYI.

But to answer your direct question, yes, the story is good. But it's really not good at all until you get into the meat of it. It has probably the worst start of any FF (in my opinion, of course). There's a pretty good Mega64 skit about the game that somehow is not even more embarrassing than how it happens in-game.

But basically every aspect of this game is the epitome of "stick with it, trust me, it's worth it." And it absolutely is worth it.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
The zodiac age version is a way better game, just an FYI.

But to answer your direct question, yes, the story is good. But it's really not good at all until you get into the meat of it. It has probably the worst start of any FF (in my opinion, of course). There's a pretty good Mega64 skit about the game that somehow is not even more embarrassing than how it happens in-game.

But basically every aspect of this game is the epitome of "stick with it, trust me, it's worth it." And it absolutely is worth it.
Humm, i'm intrigued.
If you had to categorize the story with 5 tags, what would they be?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
well =/ ... that sucks...
Did you complete the game?

I get really bored with rpgs if the story isn't engaging.

Yes - the script is localised and acted well; and there's a surprising amount of reactive NPC dialogue that adds up to a well-realised setting; but if you need a dynamically-told and well paced main plot with characters you can get deeply invested in to pull you through a RPG, you'll likely drop the game in an hour again.

It's also not entirely accurate to say that the storytelling gets better as it goes, as while it doesn't have anything it particularly mishandles on a game-ruining level in terms of plot points, having the narrative just dry up for a few hours in a particular mid-late game section as you go from dungeon to dungeon and go through several large new areas with maybe two cutscenes total isn't exactly fantastic pacing.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is the PS4 version ever gonna get the enhancements of the PC, Switch & Xbox One versions or do I just give up on that dream?

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Yes - the script is localised and acted well; and there's a surprising amount of reactive NPC dialogue that adds up to a well-realised setting; but if you need a dynamically-told and well paced main plot with characters you can get deeply invested in to pull you through a RPG, you'll likely drop the game in an hour again.

It's also not entirely accurate to say that the storytelling gets better as it goes, as while it doesn't have anything it particularly mishandles on a game-ruining level in terms of plot points, having the narrative just dry up for a few hours in a particular mid-late game section as you go from dungeon to dungeon and go through several large new areas with maybe two cutscenes total isn't exactly fantastic pacing.
So, the pacing is awful and the story is not that great either.
This is not for me then.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
It's my third favorite, and as far as I'm concerned, the last Final Fantasy ever made. But sorry, I spent almost 200 hours on the PS2 version. I'm not going back. I have to move on. I can't sink that kind of time again.

But I'm envious of those who will be playing it for the first time. Always.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Never played this due to the timing of its release. Will be picking it up for switch for my 24 hours worth of plane time

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played it when it was released due to financial limitations. But I jumped on the remake this last summer and loved every minute of it. I miss good Final Fantasy games.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 version did get a random patch last week, so that could be a sign. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

What enhancements would that be?

while it doesn't have anything it particularly mishandles on a game-ruining level in terms of plot points, having the narrative just dry up for a few hours in a particular mid-late game section as you go from dungeon to dungeon and go through several large new areas with maybe two cutscenes total isn't exactly fantastic pacing.

Yeah this is what I was referring to on the other page that made me draw this game over a long period of time.I was losing the thread around this section.

This is not for me then.

I mean, that is a extreme comment to make based off one person's opinion.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
OK I have this on my wishlist and will get around to it soon, but in the meantime I'm about to complete Dragon Quest XI. IN YOUR HONEST OPINION.....which is the better game between these two?

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
OK I have this on my wishlist and will get around to it soon, but in the meantime I'm about to complete Dragon Quest XI. IN YOUR HONEST OPINION.....which is the better game between these two?

XII - I think it's top 3 FF material, for one, but on top of that it has an innovative and interesting battle system that virtually nothing else has touched since. Think Xenoblade 2, only you have more control over your party and there's a ton of thought you can put into your systems in order to make the combat more interesting.

Also, the job system is nice.

DQ XI is... good, but very much more of the same, as is the case with all DQ games to some extent (with maybe the exception of IX).

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
This is not for me then.

Sorry, my original response was probably a little misleading based on what you were looking for (a story-focused jrpg.) It's definitely not what makes the game great.

It is very terribly paced. I had a hard time with the dubs, too. Honestly, by the time the game left me to wander and just start exploring, I was so ready for it. Sometimes there's multiple long cutscenes back to back. The story is hard to warm to, but I think it carries itself well enough and is interesting enough to let the rest of the game shine.

So overall I think you're right.

Nov 17, 2017
Is the story any good?
The story is really great. It's divisive because it doesn't focus on the same fantasy JRPG tropes that previous Final Fantasy games did. There isn't an over-the-top anime plotline or a big character romance or anything like that. But it is a very maturely told story with a detailed world and lore that feels like there's a real history there, with political intrigue and drama and solid themes about revenge, duty, and identity. The characters, while important, do not have the entire world revolving around them and so the story in part focuses a lot on the war and what's happening in the world and the various nations than just focusing on the player party and how everyone there becomes best friends.

For example, there's a big focus on the antagonists' of the story and entire scenes play out where it's just them and the main party is not present. And that allows them to focus on the different characters when they aren't directly interacting with the main characters and you see how they disagree and fight amongst each other and how they aren't just hell bent on destroying the world because there is no kind of plotline like that where the villain is this god or demon and the very world is in danger of ending. So it's very different than what people are used to in JRPGs which is why you will hear very drastic posts calling the story absolute crap while others will praise it. I think it's a very unique and compelling story for the genre but really you'll have to be the judge yourself.

There's a pretty good Mega64 skit about the game that somehow is not even more embarrassing than how it happens in-game.
That part of the game is overblown imo. There's a clear reason why it happens and there's some comedy in it as the characters all acknowledge the ridiculousness of it but it's for a specific purpose that ends up working as intended.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
This was the last true FF, the rest after this completely mess up the franchise and try to be too mainstream or edgy with ridiculous story lines that confuse this shit out of people.

Nov 23, 2017
This game isn't for everyone. I appreciate it's well-polished design. I'm just into the game. The story isn't special to me at all. The characters are mostly blase. Fran and Balthier are great though. What I dislike the most is the combat. My desire to pre-program things and let the magic happen has never been strong. Of course, you can change during the battle but it doesn't make it more enjoyable for me. I just can't fathom why people think it's better than the PSone FF games but to each their own. It's definitely an acquired taste.

Just because I don't like it doesn't make it a bad game either. I do appreciate how polished it is overall. If you're new, you should try it.