• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
c87.jpg
I just started Season 6 and if that last one is fake someone's dying in a bright tonight.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Wait, is the bisexual fashion lizard Garak?

And man, DS9 was fantastic. Garak, Vic Fontaine, Weyoun, Odo, Quark were all gold.

Even Gul Dukat was awesome.

Not to mention, best Trek opening title theme?
DS9 is the worst Trek. It's the source of everything that's wrong with the franchise. It was the beginning of the end of Star Trek.
This has to be bait, DS9 was great!

Oct 25, 2017
I have been watching Star Trek quite a lot lately. I've finished The Next Generation already and I'm now on Deep Space Nine S3 + Voyager S1. I have been using The Star Trek List to watch them in original order because DS9 aired simultaneously with TNG S6-7 and Voyager and there are quite a few overlaps between the series. Like how O'Brien just disappears from TNG after the DS9 premiere has aired.

Not to mention, best Trek opening title theme?
I think Voyager has this one. I've used Netflix's Skip Intro on the DS9 theme many times because it's so damn long but haven't used it on Voyager yet.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a shame that due to the way they filmed and made the show, there will very likely never be a proper HD remaster of it. Maybe as AI based restoration techniques advance and mature, we can look forward to see it escape its current VHS quality look.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Sisko doesn't murder sentient transporter accidents, which is a shame, but the show is really good regardless of that flaw.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Best Trek, followed by TNG. I even enjoy seasons 1 & 2, they've aged much better than TNG's.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing that really grabbed me in the first episode was Sisko's naked contempt for Picard because of the acts of Locutus. This wasn't someone who pretended that humanity had evolved above all that like TNG often tried to do.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Deep Space Nine really is fantastic. Incredible character development all round, especially in places you wouldn't expect it (Nog). If you're starting a watch for the first time then try to get past the early episode where Rumplestiltskin appears and you'll have a great time. I might start this up again actually, I recently watched the documentary and it really got me in the mood to revisit the show. I still might skip the Klingon-focused episodes though (as I do with anything Trek).

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Only halfway through season 3, so it seems I should not have clicked on this thread. Had no idea about a few surprises later seasons. I'll throw out that I have been enjoying it more than TNG. TNG has some higher highs, but lots of lower lows. DS9 has been more consistently enjoyable for me.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, people in this thread like Vic Fontaine? That was by far the worst part of the show. I couldn't stand those pointless, filler episodes.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people in this thread like Vic Fontaine? That was by far the worst part of the show. I couldn't stand those pointless, filler episodes.

He only appears in 7 episodes, and in only 3 of those did he play a major part.

His Way
It's Only A Paper Moon
Badda-bing, Badda-bang

And those last two are both great episodes.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is there a guide of required episodes of DS9 that you have to watch before you skip to season 3 or 4? Or at least a guide of episodes in the early seasons to skip outright?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
DS9 is something I need to watch. I caught bits and pieces but TNG, DS9 and then Voyager(pretty much killed Trek for me).

The Visitor is one of the finest episode of Star Trek ever made.

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed DS9 when it aired (admittedly I was a young teen)...but I've tried watching it again as an adult and it's hard. Being a 24-episode/season show really hurts it. Great content in there, just also a lot of 90s filler.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
You've made it through the roughest part, season 3 is where the show really comes into its own. Some amazing episodes coming your way.

I have to say, most of the "Watch the Irishman Suffer" episodes are really good. My understanding is that on the show they called them "The Annual O'Brien Torture" episodes.

That's exciting to hear!

And, yes, poor O'Brien. Have already had a few episodes where he gets dunked on.

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Is there a guide of required episodes of DS9 that you have to watch before you skip to season 3 or 4? Or at least a guide of episodes in the early seasons to skip outright?

I agreed with this list in terms of whats enjoyable, must watch, and meh. Only changes I would make are episodes 14 and 15 of season 2 being "meh" and changing them to "just for fun".

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As a life long Star Wars fan. Star Trek was always for losers. Who the fuck wants to watch a model UN in space?

with that said...(and how star wars shit the bed ruining the franchise forever)

Finally decided to explore some SW. Tried Voyager, uh, the one with scott bacula... but Me and my 4yo are loving DS9. Its the most watched star trek in any of our lives.

Dax is one of the most interesting characters in Sci Fi. I've grown to *TOLERATE* Quark. Its generally a nice wind down on the day. And most stuff is easy to explain in a widdde general way to a kid. Oddly enough, Cisco is sorta my least interest. Hes solid, but just not a whole to work with there. I do feel for his struggle to keep the peace. Kiras struggles with the nazis is always fun. The complexities of governance intergalactically was interesting afterall.

Odo is the only cop I like. Hes straight, hes a cop, but hes straight. Obrien is cool, I can't ever remember the doctors name, but hes pleasant as well. Reminds me of uh, the dude that plays Loki.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
As a life long Star Wars fan. Star Trek was always for losers. Who the fuck wants to watch a model UN in space?

with that said...

me and my 4yo are loving DS9.

Dax is one of the most interesting characters in Sci Fi. I've grown to *TOLERATE* Quark. Its generally a nice wind down on the day. And most stuff is easy to explain in a widdde general way to a kid. Oddly enough, Cisco is sorta my least interest. Hes solid, but just not a whole to work with there. I do feel for his struggle to keep the peace. Kiras struggles with the nazis is always fun. The complexities of governance intergalactically was interesting afterall.

Odo is the only cop I like. Hes straight, hes a cop, but hes straight.

Odo was a cop under the Nazi occupation of Bajor and the station and just did his job there as well. I *tolerate* Odo, but it never made sense why Kira was friends with him or any Bajoran would like him. You can't just "do your job" under a genocidal fascist occupation of an innocent people, especially when said job leads to those people being detained and/or executed.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Odo was a cop under the Nazi occupation of Bajor and the station and just did his job there as well. I *tolerate* Odo, but it never made sense why Kira was friends with him or any Bajoran would like him. You can't just "do your job" under a genocidal fascist occupation of an innocent people, especially when said job leads to those people being detained and/or executed.

Holy shit well I missed that.. lol, welp back to ACAB. Sheesh, even 1 sci fi one can't be good.

Yeah I can't imagine any cardassian laws that wouldn't have = going to the mine or being killed via interrogation after he hands them over. However, there was that one episode when he let the resistance fighters go because Quark was in love with that gal. They spread honey on eachother. So perhaps -- there is another side of odos law enforcement..

If hes cool in Kiras book, perhaps he was just telling cardassian kids not to run in the breezeway and stuff. But yeah..

yowwzers lol. The depths of these characters are remarkable.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit well I missed that.. lol, welp back to ACAB. Sheesh, even 1 sci fi one can't be good.

Yeah I can't imagine any cardassian laws that wouldn't have = going to the mine or being killed via interrogation after he hands them over. However, there was that one episode when he let the resistance fighters go because Quark was in love with that gal. They spread honey on eachother. So perhaps -- there is another side of odos law enforcement..

If hes cool in Kiras book, perhaps he was just telling cardassian kids not to run in the breezeway and stuff.

Its poorly thought out, but later episodes will explore his past when he served on Terok Nor (DS9 when Cardassians occupied it). But early on its explained how Odo was respected by both the Bajorans and Cardassians because he was fair and only cared about the law and "getting his man." Which sounds nice on its surface. Sure, he was a good cop who always made sure he arrested the right person. How noble.

But then you remember that the Cardassian occupation of Bajor was nightmare fuel on a level that outmatched the Nazis and that they executed Bajorans for as much as breathing wrong. So, like if a Bajoran resistance member blows up a wing of the promenade housing a bunch of Cardassian officers during the occupation, how is it a good thing that Odo catches them and arrests them? Especially when said arrest would naturally lead to their execution (and perhaps even the execution of their entire family). Why would any Bajoran respect such a collaborator?

Odo only makes sense if the Cardassian occupation wasn't as brutal as we learn it was, like if it was a simple land dispute and not practiced genocide and slavery.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

It's kind of strange, because Odo was very initially pitched as someone Kira knew from 'back in the day', in one episode there's a reference to all they went through together etc. It was as if his backstory was going to be that he was also in the resistance or whatever. But then they seemed to pivot into him as being a long time fixture at the station (with Kira coming to the station post-Cardassian-occupation...so really their relationship only began then?). Maybe am missing some other pieces of that puzzle.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Its poorly thought out, but later episodes will explore his past when he served on Terok Nor (DS9 when Cardassians occupied it). But early on its explained how Odo was respected by both the Bajorans and Cardassians because he was fair and only cared about the law and "getting his man." Which sounds nice on its surface. Sure, he was a good cop who always made sure he arrested the right person. How noble.

But then you remember that the Cardassian occupation of Bajor was nightmare fuel on a level that outmatched the Nazis and that they executed Bajorans for as much as breathing wrong. So, like if a Bajoran resistance member blows up a wing of the promenade housing a bunch of Cardassian officers during the occupation, how is it a good thing that Odo catches them and arrests them? Especially when said arrest would naturally lead to their execution (and perhaps even the execution of their entire family). Why would any Bajoran respect such a collaborator?

Odo only makes sense if the Cardassian occupation wasn't as brutal as we learn it was, like if it was a simple land dispute and not practiced genocide and slavery.

Spoilers bro? jesus. I know the show is decades old.. but come on some of us are still knee deep in it!

edit.. lol, look at me. boy i've been wrong about this franchise.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of strange, because Odo was very initially pitched as someone Kira knew from 'back in the day', in one episode there's a reference to all they went through together etc. It was as if his backstory was going to be that he was also in the resistance or whatever. But then they seemed to pivot into him as being a long time fixture at the station (with Kira coming to the station post-Cardassian-occupation...so really their relationship only began then?). Maybe am missing some other pieces of that puzzle.

Yeah, it doesn't really track. Clearly they changed their initial ideas about the backstories of some of these characters but were just stuck with what they initially had stated.

Spoilers bro? jesus. I know the show is decades old.. but come on some of us are still knee deep in it!

I don't think those are spoilers as Kira tells us from the start how bad the occupation was and why she dislikes Cardassians. You'll learn more later on, it just doesn't track how Kira can be friends with Odo given the brutality of the occupation.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020

with that said...(and how star wars shit the bed ruining the franchise forever)

Finally decided to explore some SW. Tried Voyager, uh, the one with scott bacula... but Me and my 4yo are loving DS9. Its the most watched star trek in any of our lives.

I've been a lifelong Star Wars fan as well, but I started getting into Trek when the pandemic hit and I like how different it is from Star Wars. It's by far a much richer universe.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
DS9 at least tries to acknowledge how much he wrestles with his actions morally, even if ultimately it lands on the side of "I'm justified so fuck you".
He didn't seem troubled at all for what he did in For the Uniform though. Even Worf hesitated.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

edit.. lol, look at me. boy i've been wrong about this franchise.
Yes but they actually MET when
he didn't arrest her for murder, thus saving her life.
so it's not that shocking that they could be friends later.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair,
no one actually dies as a result of his actions.
Regardless, he displaced the people who lived on that planet and made sure no human could make any settlement there for some years... Or decades; I don't remember. All because he had a vendetta with Eddington. Perhaps Sisko didn't bat an eye because, as you said, no one died. Regardless, what he did was a war crime by launching those chemical weapons, yet he didn't think twice of doing it. Sisko always had it in him to commit terrible acts.