• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
With the recent talk about anime games and a lot of them being (meh) arena fighters, now's a good time to (re)introduce you to the king of all of them, Gundam Extreme VS Maxiboost ON. Here's a pretty solid video on why you should give it a try:

TL;DW
  • #1 Japanese arcade game series in the past decade
  • Finally properly localized for the west (G Versus was a spinoff of the EXVS series)
  • Adaptations from anime to game are very realized
  • A fantastic game mechanically, competitively, etc. even if you aren't a Gundam fan
  • 185 units to choose from 36 different series, a majority of them are pretty viable and cater to any play style
  • The team battles are intense and visually sweet
  • Not mentioned: loads of single-player content
  • Gundam is dope
At the very least, the PS4 Open Access is free for all to check out on every weekend from now until it releases on July 30th. ^^

Open Access Client links since they're hard to find:

Some clips I took from last weekend:

be6b1a99ca8bbc026e439993629246ab0bb292f4r1-320-240_00.gif

And defo come hang out with MBONEra at the OT. ^^

Last edited:

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping Bamco's thing on the 22nd announces a PC port of it, but either way if they don't I'll still play it on PS4.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, would be great to see it eventually get on other platforms, too. More Gundamu the better!

I'M BUYING A COPY TODAY!
thank you!
153601.gif

And it's pre-order only atm since it comes out at the end of the month, but if you do, you'll get an extra day added to each of the open access weekends before launch. ^^

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am probably breaking down and ordering a copy from Japan by the end of the month. I don't like Extreme Vs but I really really like Gundam so...

Was nice to hear a lot of vocal tracks in the demo.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
SHOOT I downloaded the beta and forgot to play last weekend. I didn't know it would persist every weekend until launch. I'll definitely check it out.

Between Origami King and CrossCode my games budget this month is already shot... I'm scared to play and fall in love with this.

Oct 27, 2017
I keep reading this is better than Versus but man do I miss having a tad more ranged options with Deathscythe as I did there.

I'm sure I'm going to be clobbered but here's to trying!

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread! It really can't be stressed enough that this game is fantastic mechanically (lol). Plays incredibly well, getting the basics down to do cool stuff takes no time, and there's an incredible amount of depth for competitively minded players. Additionally, there's beefy single player content and local split screen!!!

Give it a shot during the open access weekends, and pop into the discord if you're a new player who wants to get up to speed :D

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Imported this on PS3 years ago but didn't play it enough, might buy it again with localization.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
I was a fan of VOOT back in the day so this has always interested me.

Any good source for what the single player content is like? Decent story mode?

Does the game teach you how to play? Good tutorials?

Also interested in the netcode. Do the competitive players have complaints?

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
I remember picking G Versus & checking the advanced strats and moves and went like "I have no time for this shit"
I'll give Maxi Boost a try if the single-player content is decent

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
For people curious: it's a very easy game to get into. It's not high execution at all (literally the moves are all done with a single direction and button presses) and the concept of the game is just shoot/attack when people are off-angle or stopped. It takes a bit to get used to but it's very simple at a base level.
I keep reading this is better than Versus but man do I miss having a tad more ranged options with Deathscythe as I did there.

I'm sure I'm going to be clobbered but here's to trying!
I think Deathscythe plays MUCH better in EXVS compared to GVS. Having an assist on sub-shot feels wonderful for his approach/neutral. Strikers really gutted so many suits, and I don't like how boost dive fucked with neutral and unique movement options certain suits had.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
For people curious: it's a very easy game to get into. It's not high execution at all (literally the moves are all done with a single direction and button presses) and the concept of the game is just shoot/attack when people are off-angle or stopped. It takes a bit to get used to but it's very simple at a base level.

I think Deathscythe plays MUCH better in EXVS compared to GVS. Having an assist on sub-shot feels wonderful for his approach/neutral. Strikers really gutted so many suits, and I don't like how boost dive fucked with neutral and unique movement options certain suits had.
Hey rave. What's a good starter character.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How's the netcode? Guessing it's delay based?
Most important question there

Delay based on what we've played during the Open Access and network test so far. I believe the arcade version netplay is also that way as well, but it's Japan. As always, wired does work best. At the very least, there are options to restrict connection quality types in rooms you host, etc. I saw a random quote from SiliconEra or something like that saying it would have dedicated servers for the game, but I highly doubt that.

Can you expand on that? I really like the Gundam aesthetics and the way the gameplay looks but I don't care much about MP. How much can one get out of this game focusing on the SP contents?

Yeah can you expand on the SP content? Quite curious.

For sure! So pulling from the OT:

Yq92j18.jpg

Branch Battle (which is accessible in Open Access over the weekends):
  • Typical Arcade mode. You have 5 courses to select from. As you progress through the 8 stages, you can move through the different branches to either increase or decrease difficulty and unlock EX stages for a higher score. Some routes are just normal grunts, some are all giant bosses, etc. If you get past a certain score, you'll unlock secret bosses from the previous game.
4ogjmDU.png

5mr0EPh.jpg

Mission Mode:
  • A mode that gives you a tooooooooon of objectives from destroying 30 units within 3 minutes or beat said boss with x unit. Some missions are unit locked, some aren't. As you progress and get better scores, you'll get upgrade data that will boost your unit's performance and you can also collect figurines as well. It's really long. I think the previous home EXVS, Full Boost, had about 100+ missions? I expect the same here. But, the upgrades you make to the units only count in Mission Mode and do not apply to others. I think it took me about 10+ hours to complete it, but as a series veteran, that's probably on the faster end of time completion.
You also get GP when you complete matches in any mode. You can use the GP to customize your navis, HUD and player title as well.

hYCxGLZ.jpg
4a9Stp4.jpg

And here's a timestamp of the vid that summarizes what I mentioned:

Hope that helps for single player stuff!

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Delay based on what we've played during the Open Access and network test so far. I believe the arcade version netplay is also that way as well, but it's Japan. As always, wired does work best. At the very least, there are options to restrict connection quality types in rooms you host, etc. I saw a random quote from SiliconEra or something like that saying it would have dedicated servers for the game, but I highly doubt that.

For sure! So pulling from the OT:

Yq92j18.jpg

Branch Battle (which is accessible in Open Access over the weekends):
  • Typical Arcade mode. You have 5 courses to select from. As you progress through the 8 stages, you can move through the different branches to either increase or decrease difficulty and unlock EX stages for a higher score. Some routes are just normal grunts, some are all giant bosses, etc. If you get past a certain score, you'll unlock secret bosses from the previous game.
4ogjmDU.png

5mr0EPh.jpg

Mission Mode:
  • A mode that gives you a tooooooooon of objectives from destroying 30 units within 3 minutes or beat said boss with x unit. Some missions are unit locked, some aren't. As you progress and get better scores, you'll get upgrade data that will boost your unit's performance and you can also collect figurines as well. It's really long. I think the previous home EXVS, Full Boost, had about 100+ missions? I expect the same here. But, the upgrades you make to the units only count in Mission Mode and do not apply to others. I think it took me about 10+ hours to complete it, but as a series veteran, that's probably on the faster end of time completion.
You also get GP when you complete matches in any mode. You can use the GP to customize your navis, HUD and player title as well.

hYCxGLZ.jpg
4a9Stp4.jpg

Hope that helps for single player stuff!
Oh that's cool, it reminds me a lot of some old school PS2 games.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Hey rave. What's a good starter character.
Really most suits work fine.. Everyone is mostly similar on a base level, so it's pretty easy to jump around once you get into the game more. Basic concepts like beam rifle combos or cancel routes are pretty universal. I would recommend avoiding weirder suits (Rozen Zulu for example) or melee-focused suits though. 1500s are kind of hard to start with too.

Suits I think work pretty well for beginners though:
Crossbone X-2
F91
Gunner Zaku
RX-78

Gold Sumo
Infinite Justice
Zeta
Crossbone X-1 (good suit to help ease into melee if that interests you)
Excellia (no experience with this, but I hear it's a good alternative to Gunner Zaku)

Nu
Hi-Nu
Double-X
Sinanju

All IMO of course, and there are plenty of others to pick from. But I think these are all very easy to pick up suits that I can vouch for. Other suits are perfectly fine, but these have a lot of easy to understand concepts that should transfer well to others. 1500s and other suits may require certain mindsets to play well. Melee is fine too but they just demand more experience to avoid getting destroyed.

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
Oh wow, that single-player stuff sounds great! This will be a definite purchase from me. I would probably put a ridiculous amount of time into this for multiplayer alone, but extra single-player stuff is always good to have.

I don't have my PS4 anymore but I'm a big fan of the Jegan mobile suits, are those in the game?

There's a full list here on the official site, which may help.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yup. I'm a big Fighting game fan myself, and I loved the Beta for this game.
It was my first time playing a EXVS game, and I was very impressed with the FG-like mechanics, and how deep the gameplay/strategy was.
It also plays perfect with a Arcade Stick.

Definitely buying this.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I check again but it didn't seem to be available to buy on my store Portugal

Pre-order: https://store.playstation.com/pt-pt/product/EP0700-CUSA18683_00-GUNDAMVSMBONPOB0
Open Access: https://store.playstation.com/pt-pt/product/EP0700-CUSA18683_00-GUNDAMVSMBONPOB0

Is the western release digital only?

Currently, yeah. They haven't said anything about physical otherwise.

I don't have my PS4 anymore but I'm a big fan of the Jegan mobile suits, are those in the game?

61cYSLoMRXL._AC_SX425_.jpg

latest

Unfortunately not as playable units. They do exist as assist characters for Unicorn Gundam though!

How do you register for that version? I couldn't find it on the Bamco site or on the PSN store.
Here you go, depending on what territory you have:

Open Access Client links:

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Really most suits work fine.. Everyone is mostly similar on a base level, so it's pretty easy to jump around once you get into the game more. Basic concepts like beam rifle combos or cancel routes are pretty universal. I would recommend avoiding weirder suits (Rozen Zulu for example) or melee-focused suits though. 1500s are kind of hard to start with too.

Suits I think work pretty well for beginners though:
Crossbone X-2
F91
Gunner Zaku
RX-78

Gold Sumo
Infinite Justice
Zeta
Crossbone X-1 (good suit to help ease into melee if that interests you)
Excellia (no experience with this, but I hear it's a good alternative to Gunner Zaku)

Nu
Hi-Nu
Double-X
Sinanju

All IMO of course, and there are plenty of others to pick from. But I think these are all very easy to pick up suits that I can vouch for. Other suits are perfectly fine, but these have a lot of easy to understand concepts that should transfer well to others. 1500s and other suits may require certain mindsets to play well. Melee is fine too but they just demand more experience to avoid getting destroyed.
Cool thanks. I'll check it out this weekend. Seems cool

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yup. I'm a big Fighting game fan myself, and I loved the Beta for this game.
It was my first time playing a EXVS game, and I was very impressed with the FG-like mechanics, and how deep the gameplay/strategy was.
It also plays perfect with a Arcade Stick.

Definitely buying this.
Dope! Here's to seeing ya online in the future. ^^

Also, there was an online tourney already last weekend. If you want to see some high level NA play, check this out:

It's has commentary from my brother, gmcustom, who also won the tourney. XD Great insight to the team dynamic/composition that makes this game really unique and super deep.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
you have no excuse to not try this. It's free every friday night/saturday for the next month. DO IT

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Dope! Here's to seeing ya online in the future. ^^

Also, there was an online tourney already last weekend. If you want to see some high level NA play, check this out:

It's has commentary from my brother, gmcustom, who also won the tourney. XD Great insight to the team dynamic/composition that makes this game really unique and super deep.

Thanks for the video, I love watching high level play!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Try it out for yourself during the free trial :D For me, (and I have a wireless connection far away from the router using signal extenders), it played very well!
Rollback vs delay-based isn't just about the connections themselves - delay-based significantly limits the number of people you can even play against, which is especially important if you happen to live in an area with few people playing.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I've used to play a PSP import many years ago and remember loving it. I just love Gundam mobile suit designs and Battle Assault 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

I've tried the open access for this on the PS4 and got rekt online, rekt even by the AI on arcade at some point, it felt kinda chaotic to me and I had no idea how to improve, I wonder if is there any kind of tutorial in the final game?