• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The game's cliffhanger is that the two are resurrected as two distinct individuals but probably without their memories due to how the weapons work. Which makes this scene even more gross out of context.
Since when was ever implied they don't have memories at the end of the game? Pretty sure the point was that they were going to sacrifice themselves only to reveal that no, they were fine

They were also not regular Blades like the rest so the "no memories" rule should not affect them

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That can't be real. That has to be some kind of fanfiction source/blender mockup.

It's too stupid to be real.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
As a defense of Xeno games; the others aside from X2 are also anime and have aspects that are distasteful, so far that extreme level of it is kinda contained to X2.

Honestly think I'm still trying to hang on to my love for Gears as it was a formative game in my life that I still consider my favorite game all time. Saga added in more of the pandering elements front row and as such actually had merchandise since turbo nerds would buy Kos Mos figures. XB1 was more restrained but still had annoying aspects and XB2 blew the doors off. 3 looks like it dialed it back but will be a year till I get to it. There is deeper story there even in 2 but it is infinity frustrating that it needs to cater to who it does. Think the creator is fully cognizant of this and has even been quoted recognizing how he needs to make the games more appealing;

I know that in real life, if Tetsuya Takahashi spoke directly to a bunch of young people they would never accept the message. So I use the story and the characters I've created to act as my spokespeople.

That was a quote from around Xenosaga time after Gears failed and they were trying to actually make a success.

Shitsux, and wish I wasn't so connected to the series to offer even a half assed defense.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Since when was ever implied they don't have memories at the end of the game? Pretty sure the point was that they were going to sacrifice themselves only to reveal that no, they were fine

They were also not regular Blades like the rest so the "no memories" rule should not affect them
? Blades lose their memories upon reverting to their cores.

The entire cliffhanger doesn't make sense unless them losing their memories was a possibility

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

The entire cliffhanger doesn't make sense unless them losing their memories was a possibility
But the scene where they return both clearly recognize Poppy and say something to Rex, something that can only imply they remember

And again they aren't regular Blades, like the fact that they can sacrifice themselves and return is proof of that

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I'm not reading the spoilers since I want to play XC3 fresh (it's 100% a guilty pleasure for me), but based on the series' history, I'm already pre-emptively on the side of everyone in this thread with very disgusted reactions.

This might be misguided to ask, but could people maybe be more careful with discussing these spoilers, though? Been seeing a lot of mentions of the character Rex and others from XC2 and it seems like their very presence in the game (or simply their relevance) could be considered a spoiler.

Obviously, I realize that's not the issue here. So I'm sorry if I derailed the conversation.

Pawprii

Banned
May 30, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive commentary.
I only lurk here but the spoiler pic is only in one part of the ending and has no bearing to the story. As much as how weird it is I dont think it's enough to ruin the game

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not reading the spoilers since I want to play XC3 fresh (it's 100% a guilty pleasure for me), but based on the series' history, I'm already pre-emptively on the side of everyone in this thread with very disgusted reactions.

This might be misguided to ask, but could people maybe be more careful with discussing these spoilers, though? Been seeing a lot of mentions of the character Rex and others from XC2 and it seems like their very presence in the game (or simply their relevance) could be considered a spoiler.

Obviously, I realize that's not the issue here. So I'm sorry if I derailed the conversation.

Honestly I had not even considered that mention of past characters where a spoiler since images clearly meaning to represent a couple past characters have been in all the promotional material.

I only lurk here but the spoiler pic is only in one part of the ending and has no bearing to the story. As much as how weird it is I dont think it's enough to ruin the game

I also don't think it ruins the game, just for me is a major aspect of amusement and continuation of the themes from XB2 that I didn't enjoy. I have also voiced my bias for Xeno games though.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
x1OESft.jpg

lmaaaaooooooooo. How does this series always beat my lowest expectations???

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
It represents the ideas and attitudes held by the people who created the game. It's enough to know you don't want to experience any more of what they have to say.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
But the scene where they return both clearly recognize Poppy and say something to Rex, something that can only imply they remember

And again they aren't regular Blades, like the fact that they can sacrifice themselves and return is proof of that
Well that's why I said "out of context" it was especially bad. One would hope, really hope, that the full game confirms that they have their memories.

The game's marketing has referred to this game being the end of the Xenoblade Trilogy and it was already known that XB1 & 2 characters would appear. Especially after Xenoblade 1 HD revealed it in the added on content.

Pyra (via her sword) already appeared in the Nintendo Xenoblade direct. Their presence, by itself, isn't shocking.

Like, the founding plot of this game is that the worlds of Xenoblade 1 & 2 have merged. Rex & co showing up was an inevitably.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive commentary
It represents the ideas and attitudes held by the people who created the game. It's enough to know you don't want to experience any more of what they have to say.
So you think XB3 is going to be just as Otaku bait as XB2? Because of a scene that shows up at the very end of the game that only lasts for 2-3 seconds?

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Well that's why I said "out of context" it was especially bad. One would hope, really hope, that the full game confirms that they have their memories.
?????? Again there is literally nothing ever implying they don't keep their memories, if anything the scene explicitly implies that they continue to remember, if they wanted to imply they don't have memories they would not act the way they did after returning

Also i don't get how you can take this "even more gross out of context" since you trying to use context that is not even correct (that they lack memories when the implication is the opposite) to make it worse

Personally the Xeno 3 spoiler is pretty off-putting but i dont see why trying to make it even worse by misrepresenting the ending of the other game

Last edited:

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017

Pyra and Mythra are Aegis blades, so the normal rules don't apply to them. They can survive without their driver and carry the data and memories of every single blade core crystal within them. They can also survive with a damaged core crystal and with their core crystal missing for a period of time. It makes sense that they would retain their memories when resurrected.

Not that makes the spoiler picture any less Oooooof.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
So you think XB3 is going to be just as Otaku bait as XB2? Because of a scene that shows up at the very end of the game that only lasts for 2-3 seconds?

Why wouldn't you assume that? "These people who made a really gross sexist game made a sequel, and because you are spoiled about a really gross sexist aspect of the sequel you assume it will be as bad as last time?"
Yeah. We assume that.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

It's completely valid to not want to engage with a piece of media because of a possibly atypically small awful part of it.

Like if a really good JRPG ended with a super out of nowhere offensive slur or some big homophobia in an after credits scene I wouldn't begrudge people who didn't want to touch it, even if I personally was able to look past it and/or liked the rest of the game. Persona 5 for example.

The fact of the matter is that the inclusion of this shot says something about how the writers view women. Maybe other parts of the game say other things about how the writers view women, but that doesn't change that this exists. Maybe that's a dealbreaker to some people. It is what it is, and idk if it's ethical to tell people they should look at the bigger picture as it starts to ascribe sort of value judgements and hinges kind of on notions of what about of problematic content is 'reasonable' or not.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
But there is nothing ever implying they don't keep their memories, if anything the scene explicitly implies that they continue to remember, if they wanted to imply they don't have memories they would not act the way they did after returning

Also i don't get how you can take this "even more gross out of context" since you are using wrong context (that they lack memories when the implication is the opposite) to make it worse
The cliffhanger only exists because it is a possibility. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been that cliffhanger.

You can argue that the cliffhanger is stupid and that they should have their memories. But, in the end, the game still went with the cliffhanger ending.

Pyra and Mythra are Aegis blades, so the normal rules don't apply to them. They can survive without their driver and carry the data and memories of every single blade core crystal within them. They can also survive with a damaged core crystal and with their core crystal missing for a period of time. It makes sense that they would retain their memories when resurrected.

Not that makes the spoiler picture any less Oooooof.
I agree that it makes sense. Which is why I said out of context. My point was just that the game went ahead with that cliffhanger scene anyways, which makes this Xenoblade 3 epilogue even worse.

They can't just flash forward to a scene like that in XB3 without answering the pointless cliffhanger they themselves set up in XB2.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like something you would expect in Xenoblade, yet it I still can't help but be taken aback by the stupidity every time. Truly embarrassing series.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The cliffhanger only exists because it is a possibility. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been that cliffhanger.

You can argue that the cliffhanger is stupid and that they should have their memories. But, in the end, the game still went with the cliffhanger ending.
I gave up, there is no point in arguing about this anymore, the only crux of your argument hinges on interpreting a scene in a way it clearly was not meant to be seen, like is not even a cliffhanger

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stop laughing at that image. I'm just kind of astonished? But XB2 already was full of otaku bait so I shouldn't be surprised.

RandoPercy

Jun 12, 2022
Oof, that spoiler image.....

Like I was somewhat willing to try XB2 despite knowing its setbacks but WHAT IS THAT????

Oct 28, 2017
I have now seen a take spoiler so bad that I am forced to immediately go to sleep.

The timing on this is probably just a coincidence with the Roe v Wade nonsense but (and this is completely anecdotal) I am seeing a lot more openly displayed misogyny and sexism in every single space I visit online. Almost like removing legal protections from pregnancy capable humans increases acceptable public hatred of them. 🤔

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up, there is no point in arguing about this anymore, the only crux of your argument hinges on interpreting a scene in a way it clearly was not meant to be seen, like is not even a cliffhanger

View: https://youtu.be/KNyUfX0daJc

Very end of eternity
The final day has come to an end, it's gone for good
I would then slowly close my eyes
And be cuddled by the shining memory piece
I will trace back all the memories with you
That's the only wish I have
The last day with you was truly magical
The frozen time began to flow
At last the longest night has gone and brought in light
I felt myself melt in the morning light
The final grain of sand has dropped
I will slowly so quietly fall into sleep
I see you gently fade away
Your silhouette has gone to the other side of the mist
And all the memories with no sound so quiet
Just like in slow motion it moves so slowly
And so the last day with you was truly magical
The frozen time began to flow
At last the longest night has gone and brought in light
I felt myself melt in the morning light
You have gifted many things to me
(But I) wonder if I could've done the same for you
If you would let me, I will give back a handful
If it would put a little smile on your face
Can I ask you, God? Despite all of this...
Could the sandglass somehow take back the time?
One last time is all I ask from you
Can you please spare me some time with the one man I loved?
I wouldn't care how and where (you could) it should be
But I need one last time I want to tell you, how I feel inside for you
I want you to know...

Oh yeah, totally justifies XB3. That scene, the lyrics, the unintentionally unspoken words.... BAM. Harem time. I'm sure the context makes it better

Apparently Xenoblade 2 should've ended with "and thus, boy meets girls"

RandoPercy

Jun 12, 2022
Why wouldn't you assume that? "These people who made a really gross sexist game made a sequel, and because you are spoiled about a really gross sexist aspect of the sequel you assume it will be as bad as last time?"
Yeah. We assume that.
I enjoyed XB1 so it was shocking to see what its sequel turned into

And now this??? I can't. Imma go take a nap and I better not have a nightmare about any of this.

Captain C

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the first time I've regretted seeing a spoiler for a game I'm never going to play.

Yeah, XC2 was already gross as hell so I didn't have any intention on playing this one, but this shot is just so fucking weird and gross that I almost wish I never even saw it. That's a Yikes with a capital Y!

Nov 2, 2017
It just makes me sad. Xenoblade 1 was a game I really loved, and the pseudo gacha + dumb anime bullshit + Rex's design kept me away from 2. What happened?

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I have never touched a Xenoblade before, but that is some meme ass shit. It's not supposed to be taken seriously right, cause I'm dying lol

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That thing is legit one of the most embarassing scenes I saw in a game in a very, very long time.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Honestly I had not even considered that mention of past characters where a spoiler since images clearly meaning to represent a couple past characters have been in all the promotional material.

The game's marketing has referred to this game being the end of the Xenoblade Trilogy and it was already known that XB1 & 2 characters would appear. Especially after Xenoblade 1 HD revealed it in the added on content.

Pyra (via her sword) already appeared in the Nintendo Xenoblade direct. Their presence, by itself, isn't shocking.

Like, the founding plot of this game is that the worlds of Xenoblade 1 & 2 have merged. Rex & co showing up was an inevitably.
I'd argue that those elements have not been an overt aspect of the marketing, at least not enough to be a given for anyone just casually keeping up with it. But I can see I'm outnumbered, so maybe I'll just keep my distance from here until I finish it.