• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
So there's a thread right now that is people just talking about "best modern fighting game characters". A number of cool women being posted that I'd never played the games of. My favourite new to me example was this cool ghost woman from Killer Instinct:

character_bio_hero_hisako-1.jpg

On the other hand that thread also introduced me to one of the worst designs I've ever seen:

1200px-BlazBlue_Cross_Tag_Battle_Nine_the_Phantom_Main.png

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This stupid yet universal pose (is there a term for it?) is near impossible to do IRL so it's really the artist showing off their horny side to present both butts and boobs at the same time. Yet never see it done for a male character.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a thread right now that is people just talking about "best modern fighting game characters". A number of cool women being posted that I'd never played the games of. My favourite new to me example was this cool ghost woman from Killer Instinct:

character_bio_hero_hisako-1.jpg

On the other hand that thread also introduced me to one of the worst designs I've ever seen:

1200px-BlazBlue_Cross_Tag_Battle_Nine_the_Phantom_Main.png

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
This stupid yet universal pose (is there a term for it?) is near impossible to do IRL so it's really the artist showing off their horny side to present both butts and boobs at the same time. Yet never see it done for a male character.
I'm pretty sure it's just called the boob and butt pose. I don't think I've ever seen it called anything else.

Nice to see that FG character thread mention Najd and Mian.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This is a brother/sister pair of twins you meet in one of the FFXIV raid stories. Guess who's who!

FFXIV-Anogg-and-Konogg.jpg

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
A Korean MMORPG that is starting soon
odin valhalla rising

Player choose one of 4 starting charater,
I like the look of the world and other race and thing look interesting(Big dog of the Dwarf king)
And some of the god look interesting, I also like how they are all bigger then human.
But...it's Korean MMORPG, so female outfit and design is...especially the elves...= =;
And player chara, the sorcress = =;

Cinematic trailer(Something about Loki's revenger)
www.youtube.com

[오딘: 발할라 라이징] 인게임 시네마틱 ㅣ "전쟁의 서막" Full ver

MMORPG, 신의 영역에 다다르다[오딘: 발할라 라이징] 사전예약 중!* 공식 홈페이지 : https://odin.kakaogames.com* 사전예약 페이지 : https://game.kakao.com/pr/odin* 카카오톡 채널 : http://pf.kakao.com/_U...

Gameplay preview
www.youtube.com

[오딘: 발할라 라이징] 공식 인게임 트레일러 영상_Full ver.

"모바일&PC 멀티 플랫폼 MMORPG, 오딘:발할라 라이징 최초 공개!"공식 티저사이트 및 카카오톡 채널에서 공개될새로운 소식과 이벤트를 확인해보세요!* 공식 티저사이트 : https://odin.kakaogames.com/teaser* 카카오톡 채널 : http://pf.kak...

Player character are choose from 4 Job as far as I understand
Sorcress, Warrior, Rogue, Priest, the character are gender locked, and if like other game, will only allow you to customize the face and hair of the job class, and new armor and probabely paid outfit that is look only in it's own slot.
Gameplay clip also sometime show other outfit
210428-odin-%20(6).jpg

Warrior - THe man, and wearing full armor in all the picture and video = =;
210428-odin-%20(4).jpg

Priest - Healer and support, At least has some armor, and gameplay looks interesting
210428-odin-%20(3).jpg

Rogue - Cool cape, high heel? - The 0:10 armor looks to be full plate, but probabely only shoulder if looking at other Korean game = =;
210428-odin-%20(2).jpg

Sorcress - ......The Haro ball thing is cute~
210428-odin-%20(5).jpg

Other race and thing introduced in the game

The Gods(I like they are bigger then human) And the man god look different from Marvel movie version~~
img-god1.jpg

img-god2.jpg

img-god3.jpg

Then the...Goddess = =;
img-god5.jpg

Human NPC
img-human1.jpg

img-human3.jpg

Giant Race
img-giant1.jpg

There are female giant...but the outfit = =;
img-giant3.jpg

img-giant5.jpg

Dwarf - Big Dog with tiny legs(Didn't see female dwarf)
img-dwarf3.jpg

img-dwarf4.jpg

Legendary God Beast
img-myth1.jpg

img-myth2.jpg

And the...Elves....*sigh*
img-elf2.jpg

img-elf3.jpg

img-elf4.jpg

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Is it because Elves are considered mystical and mysterious race that certain people feel the need to sex them up? It gotten to the point where shows would joke about elves being sexy.

Traditionally, like in lotr or dnd, elves are tall slender people with angular features who stay youthful for an incredibly long time (often forever).

Which is to say on one hand you have shitty game developers that want to make every attractive woman wear as little clothing as possible, and on the other hand here's an entire race of inherently attractive people. So horny designers are going to do what horny people do unfortunately.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The "Princes" NPC seems to have a dress.
img-elf1.jpg

*sign*
img-elf5.jpg

And Human Solider have generic fantasy soldier gear
img-human3.jpg

img-human4.jpg

And not sure if that's a female dwarf of dwarf with no beard in the front, but they are at least dress in furry outfit for winter setting
img-dwarf5.jpg

Feb 24, 2018
Not sure how to really describe this but I've really been getting off put with Resident Evil 8 and just everything around the Tall Lady. It just comes across so juvenile and rather tacky and in many cases just gross especially with how Capcom's been playing into it.

I admit I've been getting a lot of "We care about sexualisation and objectification of women... Until it's convenient not to in which cases go away and let us be sleazy!" from Capcom and the RE fandom the past few months and it's made it hard to follow the game for me (not this isn't just an ERA thing). This isn't the only time this has happened to me, I've find the game industry, fans, devs, publishers and the gaming press can be juvenile when it comes to sex or sexiness in games that it turns me off games (Witcher 3 for example).

I decided to cancel my pre-order partly because of this (also the demo bored me, just not feeling scary, the monster design so far has rather lackluster, something I've been having a problem with speculative fiction in general recently and other things as well).

Mmmmkay

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Not sure how to really describe this but I've really been getting off put with Resident Evil 8 and just everything around the Tall Lady. It just comes across so juvenile and rather tacky and in many cases just gross especially with how Capcom's been playing into it.

I admit I've been getting a lot of "We care about sexualisation and objectification of women... Until it's convenient not to in which cases go away and let us be sleazy!" from Capcom and the RE fandom the past few months and it's made it hard to follow the game for me (not this isn't just an ERA thing). This isn't the only time this has happened to me, I've find the game industry, fans, devs, publishers and the gaming press can be juvenile when it comes to sex or sexiness in games that it turns me off games (Witcher 3 for example).

I decided to cancel my pre-order partly because of this (also the demo bored me, just not feeling scary, the monster design so far has rather lackluster, something I've been having a problem with speculative fiction in general recently and other things as well).
I've seen more blatant sexualization from fans (all genders and orientations) than Capcom. What did they do to lean into it?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen more blatant sexualization from fans (all genders and orientations) than Capcom. What did they do to lean into it?
In one of Capcoms tweets to market the game, they took a single screenshot of Tall Lady sucking the main character's blood from their arm but due to framing, it looks remarkably similar to her giving a blowjob. I'll try and find the tweet, there was a thread on it.
Edit: Here

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
In one of Capcoms tweets to market the game, they took a single screenshot of Tall Lady sucking the main character's blood from their arm but due to framing, it looks remarkably similar to her giving a blowjob. I'll try and find the tweet, there was a thread on it.

Between this shit and Kanie's outfit in Nier Replicant, i don't know what's worse

Jul 19, 2020

That's not a screenshot. It's a short advert, if you click on the tweet itself it's just the first second of footage and it winds up being displayed like that if the tweet is embedded or you otherwise view it without the vid being able to run (I think datasaving options on the mobile app would make it display like that unless you clicked it, as an example)

Now, the marketing department making the choice to put that shot right at the very start so that people would react to it when they see it embedded in articles/on their timeline is possible but I dunno how likely it is.

DexMckinzie96

Banned
Jul 6, 2020

You did not play Witcher 3 because the gaming community can be juvenile when it comes to sex? you missed out on a good action RPG imo. I would not let other people's behaviour influence my decision to play certain games. For example, I play SFV and a lot of the FGC community think the game is crap. I am not going to let them prevent me from playing SFV if I want to play it. I would just ignore other people being sleazy and I would play the video games that I am interested in.

Of course, you can make your purchasing decisions however you want.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Could have saved yourself a post if you were just going to end with this.

She also didn't say it was just the gaming community. She mentioned devs, publishers, and press as well. But even if the focus was just on the gaming community, their behavior surrounding a game is absolutely valid in skeeving someone enough to keep them away.

We see it everytime a LTTP Xenoblade thread pops up. Its heralded as the best JRPG of all time, and when met with valid critics from people uncomfortable by some of the artwork/character designs, it's met with the likewise "just ignore the problems. It's fine." The handwaving of issues along with some fans being proud of their "thirst," it's no surprise their attitude can actively give potential prospects pause and decide to instead just step away.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You did not play Witcher 3 because the gaming community can be juvenile when it comes to sex? you missed out on a good action RPG imo. I would not let other people's behaviour influence my decision to play certain games. For example, I play SFV and a lot of the FGC community think the game is crap. I am not going to let them prevent me from playing SFV if I want to play it. I would just ignore other people being sleazy and I would play the video games that I am interested in.

Witcher 3 ain't exactly innocent itself on the matters of sex and women, bordering on misogyny. aiswyda made a great thread about it recently:

www.resetera.com

The Witcher 3: Misogyny in my video game? More likely than you think

So I decided to finally try out the Witcher 3 after hearing pretty much everyone and their mother speak about how amazing the game is--barring the combat, of course. I borrowed a copy off a friend as I don't personally feel comfortable giving CDPR money with the Cyberpunk/transphobia situation...

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing Tales of Berseria lately, because I feel like going nuts, and the main characters outfit is just so embarassingly bad.

You start the game in an oufit like the next image, as you live in some woodsy village in the middle of nowhere. You then get put in prison for years because you become a demon, and the character has to somehow make clothing out of scraps off people she kills while trapped in prison.

At least you can select the village look and play the whole game wearing it, apart from in cutscenes. Its just so crass and boring when an outfit is just stupid "sex appeal" like the above. They also made a big deal about her being the first woman protagonist for a Tales game, but coooome oooon, at least make her wear something sensible.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Tales of Berseria lately, because I feel like going nuts, and the main characters outfit is just so embarassingly bad.

You start the game in an oufit like the next image, as you live in some woodsy village in the middle of nowhere. You then get put in prison for years because you become a demon, and the character has to somehow make clothing out of scraps off people she kills while trapped in prison.

At least you can select the village look and play the whole game wearing it, apart from in cutscenes. Its just so crass and boring when an outfit is just stupid "sex appeal" like the above. They also made a big deal about her being the first woman protagonist for a Tales game, but coooome oooon, at least make her wear something sensible.

Ha, I just finished the game recently. There's some typical questionable gender stereotyping present in the game in its script but it was nice to have a female lead that's just unabashedly edgy with no other baggage. I played on PC/Steam and replaced the model with this one (instructions here), can be done using the ToB Fix mod. Made playing the game more tolerable, the skits and animated cutscenes will still use the original design.

Jun 2, 2019

Dude, i'm a cishet man, i have certain tolerance to sexualization and pervy shit in games (Xenoblade 2 is one of my fave games this gen, go figure) and even i have issues with how The Witcher 3 handles sexualization, objectification and women in general

The thread linked make a good job exemplifying (because those are just some scenes and details) just how in your face the game is with that shit.

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, I just finished the game recently. There's some typical questionable gender stereotyping present in the game in its script but it was nice to have a female lead that's just unabashedly edgy with no other baggage. I played on PC/Steam and replaced the model with this one (instructions here), can be done using the ToB Fix mod. Made playing the game more tolerable, the skits and animated cutscenes will still use the original design.

That Rutee outfit is alright, but schoolgirl ones always weird me out for what is meant to be an adult character. I can't be bothered modding the game but thanks for the info. Think I might stick her in the Normin outfit and just let the farce play out.

Dsniw37XQAAH-yO.jpg

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tall lady in RE8 went from being a cool design into one of the most disliked characters and I haven't even played the game yet. I didn't even expect people to be so horny about it when I saw it in an early trailer. Only when we learned she was tall that people went crazy.

While playing the game I felt like this pretty much the whole game:
ergeofgreat.jpg

The gender stereotypes (if I am thinking of the parts you are talking about) were awful and made me wish I didn't do hear the couple of skits they are in. They sucked and made me dislike the men in the party. Heck the women too as they didn't really fight against it either but went "whatever". And the outfit... Worst part is they are self aware how bad of an outfit it is when Eleanor even offers Velvet to fix it for her but Velvet denies her offer because "there is no time". Even though they are sailing on a boat with tons of downtime... It is also weird to me that so many parts of the game the party tries to be "low key" yet Velvet's outfit standouts so much. The guards were even commenting how she must be cold in the snowy region. That's how bad of a design it was.

I hate when games do this. Feels like shooting themselves in the foot.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Dude, i'm a cishet man, i have certain tolerance to sexualization and pervy shit in games (Xenoblade 2 is one of my fave games this gen, go figure) and even i have issues with how The Witcher 3 handles sexualization, objectification and women in general

The thread linked make a good job exemplifying (because those are just some scenes and details) just how in your face the game is with that shit.

Just out of curiosity, why did you had a problem with the women characters in Witcher 3? I know about maybe some camera angles in sex scenes or how Ves was dressed, but apart from that?

DexMckinzie96

Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Could have saved yourself a post if you were just going to end with this.

She also didn't say it was just the gaming community. She mentioned devs, publishers, and press as well. But even if the focus was just on the gaming community, their behavior surrounding a game is absolutely valid in skeeving someone enough to keep them away.

We see it everytime a LTTP Xenoblade thread pops up. Its heralded as the best JRPG of all time, and when met with valid critics from people uncomfortable by some of the artwork/character designs, it's met with the likewise "just ignore the problems. It's fine." The handwaving of issues along with some fans being proud of their "thirst," it's no surprise their attitude can actively give potential prospects pause and decide to instead just step away.

I get it if the game itself is off putting to someone because of how it portrays female characters. If someone does not want to buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because of the female character designs, I understand that decision. However, if someone likes the look of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, likes the female characters and is interested in the game but does not buy the game because some people are thirsty over Pyra and Mythra. This decision would makes no sense. Why are you letting other people's behaviour on the internet influence you decision to buy the game?

If you are uncomfortable with a game, do not buy it. If you are comfortable with a game but you see other people act like horny idiots, you should ignore the horny idiots. For example, I play D.va in Overwatch. She is a sexualised character that I am OK with. There are other people who simp for D.va and act in a horny way. I just ignore them and play D.va in the Overwatch.

DexMckinzie96

Banned
Jul 6, 2020

I think it is a mixed bag when it comes to the way Witcher handles sexualisation, objectification and women. The female characters are sexualised but they are also well written characters imo. Characters like Kiera Metz are sexualised but she is also likeable character.

I would say that Xenoblade 2 is more problematic than Witcher 3. The female characters in Witcher 3 are adults which makes it less awkward. The female characters look quite young in Xenoblade 2 which makes it more awkward. Both games could depict female characters better.

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

Just seeing that right now, and this time i clicked the tweet.

I was made to believe it is a screenshot in another thread, i see that is not the case.
I really shouldn't trust everything on the internet.

Still, a bad opening "screenshot" to the 30sec clip.

EDIT:
Sorry, wrong user quoted.
Wanted to quote the user that answered that it is a video.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I get it if the game itself is off putting to someone because of how it portrays female characters. If someone does not want to buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because of the female character designs, I understand that decision. However, if someone likes the look of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, likes the female characters and is interested in the game but does not buy the game because some people are thirsty over Pyra and Mythra. This decision would makes no sense. Why are you letting other people's behaviour on the internet influence you decision to buy the game?

If you are uncomfortable with a game, do not buy it. If you are comfortable with a game but you see other people act like horny idiots, you should ignore the horny idiots. For example, I play D.va in Overwatch. She is a sexualised character that I am OK with. There are other people who simp for D.va and act in a horny way. I just ignore them and play D.va in the Overwatch.
I understand it perfectly. It just kind of leaves a bad taste of everything when you see something heralded so vocally & visibly for something that you might be personally against. Feels off-putting that that's the kind of thing that so many fellow gamers are getting out of something, something that you generally don't want to support.

DexMckinzie96

Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I understand it perfectly. It just kind of leaves a bad taste of everything when you see something heralded so vocally & visibly for something that you might be personally against. Feels off-putting that that's the kind of thing that so many fellow gamers are getting out of something, something that you generally don't want to support.

My view on it is why care about how your fellow gamers behave when it comes to games you are interested in. Due to the anonymous nature of the internet, it allowed people to behave very poorly with little repercussions. You can ignore it and just play the game especially if it is a single player game. This is different in a multi-player games as you have to interact with the player base. If the player base is toxic, this can negatively impact your enjoyment as you have to play with/against the player base. This can happen with games like League of Legends.

However, when it comes to single player games like Witcher 3 and Xenoblade 2, you play these games solo and you do not have to interact with other gamers. When it comes to these sorts of games, you should not let other people ruin games for you. Play the games you are interested in. If you want to play Xenoblade 2, you do not have to go on the Xenoblade 2 forums first as you can just play the game by yourself and came back to the forums afterwards to give your opinions.

This is just my view on it. Obviously, anyone can choose not to buy a game for any reason. I just would not make this reason a deciding factor on whether or not I buy or play a video game.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know where I really stand on this issue cuz it's difficult to separate the eroticism around vampires. Like, I could be wrong, but all Capcom marketing has done is show off how tall she is and she likes blood. At least most people are excited/horny about her being a dominant predator instead of just a sex object.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
lol, they decided the Bloodborne rip-off was going a bit too far and cut it, then?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She could have been cool as a side character. Her outfit is a bit too "fantasy" but it is probably the best outfit she ever had as it is practical and fits with her "spy" occupation considering the village is stuck in a fantasy goth setting.

Give her back the hook she had in 4 and make her playable and it could have opened up more interesting ways to explore the village.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
can't believe Bloodborne invented plague doctors
No need for snark y'all. It's not just the mask. Plague doctors didn't carry weaponry and combat/hunter garbs. Plus, why would a 20th century woman even wear a medieval plague mask? The mask makes contextual sense in Bloodborne, not so much in a more modern setting beyond just "looking cool".

Also, I know Bloodborne didn't invent gothic horror, but there's no denying there are similar aesthetics in RE8.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can tell you right now, some of the bosses/monsters feel as if they come straight from Bloodborne. And I don't mean this lightly. The thread isn't about this though so I won't derail it but go ahead and look at them if you don't believe me.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Eh, Village probably draws from Brotherhood of the Wolf just as Bloodborne did. Resident Evil is made by horror enthusiasts, VII had a buttload of references/homages to various horror films. At the same time, I'd say it's impossible that Bloodborne didn't have some influence.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Eh, Village probably draws from Brotherhood of the Wolf just as Bloodborne did. Resident Evil is made by horror enthusiasts, VII had a buttload of references/homages to various horror films. At the same time, I'd say it's impossible that Bloodborne didn't have some influence.
Makes sense to me.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
No need for snark y'all. It's not just the mask. Plague doctors didn't carry weaponry and combat/hunter garbs. Plus, why would a 20th century woman even wear a medieval plague mask? The mask makes contextual sense in Bloodborne, not so much in a more modern setting beyond just "looking cool".

Also, I know Bloodborne didn't invent gothic horror, but there's no denying there are similar aesthetics in RE8.

The town could hardly be called modern despite featuring some present day characters and anachronisms, there's a control exerted over the region that essentially keeps them in the dark ages. Ada's disguise would not be that out of place in Dimitrescu's 15th century castle, plague doctors were contemporaneous to the castle's origins. And that setting is strong Bram Stoker influence first and foremost.