• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Just to add to the post above...

[EDIT: I personally don't understand why religion in on this list, given that people can and do choose to change religion all the time, but it's on the list 🤷]

People can't just stop believing everything they always did, give up their cultural heritage and maybe cut ties with family/friends like it's just a new shirt.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to stick my neck out a bit here. I've been tempted to post in here a few times but have honestly been a bit scared to do so. I'm mostly just reading along to better educate myself. Any time I've been tempted to disagree with something so far, I've tried to take it as a chance to reflect on my own biases and bad preconceptions.

On we go.

This point sticks out to me as a tangent (your word, not mine!) that really doesn't help your case too much. There are actual, legitimate medical reasons why you might not want to plan to have children past the age of 40. My wife was 36 when she got pregnant and, from what I remember, there was already an elevated risk of all sorts of things which meant extra scans and checks for her. If this risk was for the mother alone, maybe fair enough but the reality is that there's an increased risk to the unborn child as well. This is not to say "never have a child past X years old", more just to balance out the view you presented and to suggest that people should try and make an informed decision about such things.

While I'm here, I may as well add that I'm conflicted about the "don't label Japan as a whole" and "it's not the country's fault" argument. I agree with the idea that to discriminate against people for things out of their control (sex, gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion etc) [EDIT: I personally don't understand why religion in on this list, given that people can and do choose to change religion all the time, but it's on the list 🤷] is a really bad thing to do. What I don't think is reasonable is to therefore have whole groups that become immune from criticism as a result; criticism is not discrimination. It's reasonable to criticize Japan for lagging behind in criminalizing child abuse imagery and explicitly making exceptions for such depictions in anime and manga. If the UN can do it, why can't we? What is the law if not an explicit set of rules codifying what is and is not acceptable in a given society and the punishments you can expect for violating them? (My daughter actually asked me "what does 'law' mean" the other day 🤯)

If people can't accept that a government explicitly allowing a whole category of child sexualisation to continue unchecked and lagging behind in legislating against actual child abuse imagery is indicative of something about the country as a whole, then we are at a bit of a dead end. It doesn't take a genius to see how this is something you can directly link to artists who end up working on games in the Japanese gaming industry and the kind of art they think is acceptable. The vibe I'm getting here is almost "don't label the whole country because #NotAllJapanesePeople" . In contrast, I think anybody who came in here arguing back with a #NotAllMen comment saying they are offended by being lumped in with the rest of their gender would get, rightly, shot down.

What am I missing?

You're using extremely outdated information to inform your biases. In 2008, various articles of Mike Pence's PROTECT Act were deprecated in the years following an Ashcroft lawsuit that deemed the blanket ban on sexual imagery in comics and art as unconstitutional. This does not apply to cases where the image in question is indistinguishable from a real act of child abuse or was created with the likeness of a real minor (we're talking photoshops and deepfakes, not drawings) or passes the Miller test for obscenity charges. The US legal stance on such imagery in 2021 is what you describe as lagging behind, is it cool for me to now start saying Americans are okay with "literal" child exploitation 'cause there's some gross cartoons out there that were deemed not worth actioning by US legislation? I'd hestitate to do so. Child abuse services are inundated with reports of CSEM which then turn out to be a drawing of some cartoon character, which they legally cannot take any action on, and ends up wasting literal years of resources delaying them from helping actual children in danger.

This thread is not equipped - nor is it's aim - to tackle matters of child exploitation, whether real or fictional.

As for the #NotAllMen comparison, you're purely being inflammatory with that one. Get a clue.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This point sticks out to me as a tangent (your word, not mine!) that really doesn't help your case too much. There are actual, legitimate medical reasons why you might not want to plan to have children past the age of 40. My wife was 36 when she got pregnant and, from what I remember, there was already an elevated risk of all sorts of things which meant extra scans and checks for her. If this risk was for the mother alone, maybe fair enough but the reality is that there's an increased risk to the unborn child as well. This is not to say "never have a child past X years old", more just to balance out the view you presented and to suggest that people should try and make an informed decision about such things.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what Naiad said, which was focused on the cultural pressure for women to be nothing more than child rearers and to do so as soon as possible.

ShivUK

Nov 2, 2017
If you have to start a post with "I'm sticking my neck out here", it's usually a good sign that you already knew your post was bad. But to address your comments directly:

Criticizing the Japanese Government & its policies is fine. But to then stereotype the people of Japan based on those policies is frankly horrible. A lot of people in Japan also hate those policies & fight for progress. The same sentiment also applies to the generalization of Japan based on anime. In fact, the majority of Japanese citizens don't even watch anime as it is primarily viewed as a children's medium. So again, it is absurd to stereotype the entirety of Japan based on a single medium that has an exaggerated representation in the west. It's really not that hard to direct criticisms to a specific entity rather than blame an entire nation of people.

So do you disagree that the laws of a society reflect the overall picture of what is accepted or not by said society? I don't deny that there are people who are either strongly against this kind of thing or even indifferent to it but the fact remains that, despite plenty of external pressure, there's not enough internal pressure to effect change and there's actually enough internal pressure to resist the change using the exact same arguments that we see in the gaming space (freedom of expression, censorship, etc).

I could see the argument that this is a circular problem, perpetuated by (for example) a lack of women in government - but I don't actually know that if this is the case or not. Either way, there's still a some root cause that leads to the goverment's action or inaction in this case, which has tangible knock-on effects of the type being discussed in this thread.

In no way am I suggesting this should mean you can start a sentence with "All Japanese people". What I think is potentially happening is clamping down on making statements about a country and how it functions as an overall system, which doesn't seem very constructive. Specific Japanese games developers don't operate in a vacuum - they are part of the overall system that dictates how they will operate.

As for your comparison to "NotAllMen", that is also incredibly flawed. The reason no one posts NotAllMen excuses is not because it would receive backlash, but rather that it's pointless. This is a predominantly male forum that talks about a medium predominantly made by & played by men. It's widely understood that not all men are the problem. In fact, the objectification of women has way more to do with power dynamics than the gender of the culprits involved. Which is why your NotAllMen comparison is incredibly flawed. Japanese posters are a minority on this forum and therefore lack the power dynamics of a group as broad as "men". That's why stereotyping an entire nation based on limited media examples is so much more harmful than your NotAllMen scenario.

I agree. Clumsy analogy and not well thought out at all. I hope I've better explained my actual point above.

Finally, I'm not sure what your point is with the childbirth paragraph. The medical facts of childbirth doesn't change the stigma that exists for older women. Also, posting "your word, not mine", followed by mansplaining childbirth to a woman, isn't remotely helpful.

😔 This is actually what I meant by "sticking my neck out". My point was that the societal stigma against pregnancy later in life isn't wholly the product of Hollywood and there might be some "reasonable" (probably not the right word) element to it. If you could actually make a point about this without resorting to "mansplaining" as a part of your response that would be helpful. If I wasn't a man, how would you have responded? Does it really need to be different? Does using the term actually add anything substantive to your reply?

My initial paragraph was an honest attempt to set some context and to get across that I'm open to being corrected, but if being openly hostile is the way you want to go in response... 🤷‍♂️. "your word, not mine" was meant to underline that I'm not using the word "tangent" as a dismissive term; this seems to have backfired. 😔

As for the #NotAllMen comparison, you're purely being inflammatory with that one. Get a clue.

Yeah, sorry. Not intentionally so, but intentions only go so far.

People can't just stop believing everything they always did, give up their cultural heritage and maybe cut ties with family/friends like it's just a new shirt.

At the same time, people are able to switch to a theologically incompatible religion or sect to marry somebody or to marry them in the building that they would like. I don't get it 🤷‍♂️

I'm struggling to keep up with replies at this point and need to get to sleep; perhaps another reason to not have posted. 😳 About as much as I can do is plead ineptitude and offer assurances that nothing was posted in bad faith. Whether or not you accept such things is out of my hands.

ShivUK

Nov 2, 2017
This has absolutely nothing to do with what Naiad said, which was focused on the cultural pressure for women to be nothing more than child rearers and to do so as soon as possible.

It seems I maybe misinterpreted the stressed "only" in the original post they made? I thought it was referring to when to have children, rather than it being the sole thing they should be doing. Honest mistake that hopefully is understandable.... or attributable to my lack of context that the women in the thread have.

EDIT: Sorry - was supposed to append to previous post. Definitely need sleep.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about FFX-2, what's everyone's opinion on how the main three are handled in that game?

I remember thinking "wow Square was pretty bold to release a game starring three strong women back then." Espeically with that opening scene, I was like "this is for the pop girl loving gays like me" lol. It was a very refreshing "not appealing to the straight male gamer" situation for me.

However I've seen the dress up complaints, and I'm wondering are those just for the more revealing outfits or the "dress up women" concept in general? I haven't really played the FFs with jobs but isn't the concept carried over from those anyway? (I.e. a character changes outfits based on what job they have).

So yeah, what's everyone's opinion on the portrayal of YuRiPa?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also on the FF13 discussion, I really really liked Lightning and Fang. I get the criticisms of lightning, but also think they wouldn't be as prominent not only if the game itself wasn't hated, but if she was a man.

Love fang she's just badass, even vanille had her moments. Also appreciated the implied romance between Fang and Vanille given it wasn't really played for the straight male gaze iirc.

Serah's grown on me just by virtue of playing XIII-2 and spending more time with her, I'm at the ending, but she's nothing super amazing probabky due to her damsel role in XIII 1 still being in my head

Haven't played LR but yeah those outfits look bad as well as that interview.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
FFX-2 really put me off with the high amount of fanservice. Brother being a super pervert also wasn't my favorite. I wish the game had more serious moments, because I feel the cast does way better in those. The silly moments are fine, but then you get the massage mini game and then it just throws silly back into the fanservice territory. Yuna being more energetic is something I always enjoyed about the game. Paine was a great 3rd, even if most people just called her female Squall (which I don't think is accurate).

FFXIII wasn't one of my favorite games, but I didn't mind most of the characters (Sazh was kinda off for me, though, because of the stereotyping). The first game just fell so rushed to me, so the characters suffered for it. Fang was my favorite.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also on the FF13 discussion, I really really liked Lightning and Fang. I get the criticisms of lightning, but also think they wouldn't be as prominent not only if the game itself wasn't hated, but if she was a man.
A reminder that Snow was hated just as much if not more so than Lightning and he was the second playable character they revealed. FF13's cast was just....incredibly insufferable. It's honestly impressive in hindsight.

Like, remember that time Lightning was complaining that a literal child was slowing her down too much, and that she was straight up about to leave him behind in an area full of mechanical monstrosities that would've murdered him. She decided to do this because he tripped.

It comes out of nowhere. And the viewer is left wondering what would've happened if the random summon battle didn't appear. On top of the fact that nothing in the gameplay indicated that Hope, the healer and magic damage dealer, was hindering Lightning in anyway. 13's character interactions, especially when it came to conflict, felt so forced.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Okay, wow, I didn't think that my post would garner this much debate by others, but thank you to everyone for supporting what I had said.

As to clarify about the pregnancy tangent and this will be the one and only time that I will do so because I do not wish to change the main focus of this thread into a discussion about myself, I'll go into a bit more detail to build up a case for why I said what I had said.

I grew up in a predominantly, and it honestly pains and cringes me to say this, but an "alpha male" household. That is to say, my father pre-determined the roles of my mother upon marriage and myself before I could even form my first sentence let alone a coherent word. It was a standard, 4-person family unit with a father, mother, son, and daughter...literally the iconic American family symbol that has always been portrayed as every American family's "dream" or "goal" in life since the 50s started this idealistic stigma. You have the hardworking father, the domesticated mother, the progeny son who hopes to grow up just like the dad, and the daughter who needs to be groomed into being just like the mother. This was the ideal family unit that nearly all American families needed to become or you were just not normal people. I was supposed to be just like my mom who cooked, cleaned, had children, and maybe hold a job though it shouldn't be required of me. Those were the life goals presumed for me at an early age.

With family life being ultimately perpetuated in this garbage, tradition that should have been recycled naturally as the eras change, I was nothing more than an accessory for my father. A keychain. A trophy. A cultural object that you can gladly claim that you have at Christmas parties and other social events. "Here's my son....and here's our daughter.", and notice how I say "our" and not "my". I wasn't his daughter unless my mother was present since I was only to be a carbon copy of her technically. Throughout my childhood, my choices were always questioned with "why does she need to go out with her friends? She should stay home and read", "you can't wear red, guys look at you, you're not allowed", or "you should be studying more and not be playing video games". The latter comment didn't start becoming a thing until I showed a keen interest in computers and technology at a young age. Growing up in the 90s, computer games were primarily played by men and were a hobby strictly for men mostly. It must have really ruffled my father's feathers when I started learning how to play the same games that he played, and in some cases, I was better at them towards the point that a grown adult would need to use cheat codes in order to beat a 12-year-old little girl at Command & Conquer an RTS war game. As I was growing up, he had DVD collections of Japanese hentai as well just littered throughout his bedroom in plain sight. So, not only am I an accessory to him by repressive stigmas that have steeped into families like age-old tea, but then I learn just how worst my father's opinions and views about women truly were. That was my first brush-in with hyper, over-sexualized women in entertainment media.

Fast-forward some years later, I didn't start getting pressured until after I completed college about when grandchildren would no longer be a figment of imagination. This started at 23 and every year it was asked either by him or by other family members from my side, both men, and women, and yes...even older women predating me can fall complacent or victim to decade-old stigmas themselves without realizing it. "You need to have children or they're going to be 12 when you're 60"..."You're going to reach a point where your body will just outright reject it and then you'll never be able to feel complete"...."You're not fulfilling your role as a woman"...."You're going to miss the greatest gift that God has ever given you"....and there are tons more just like these comments that were being directed to me the moment I was a college-educated woman. Literally, who cared about the intellectual capacity and potential that I had...the Bachelor's degree of Graphic Design that I had...I wasn't a complete package for anybody until I had a baby. This is the problem apart from the obvious medical issues that come with age. I know about them, I've discussed them with my SO, but unfortunately...I could not get pregnant at the early ages of 20 and beyond. I was mentally and financially not ready for it, more financially than anything. I grew up in a poor, low-income middle-class family, and I sure as hell was not going to bring a child into the world to suffer in the same way that I did. It's not about the medical reasons, it's about the stigmas. It's about being told that you are exceptionally no good at anything you do until you pop out a baby. Who cares about college and trying to make sure that you have a successful and stable career for said child, I should have just had one anyway because that was the expectation set for me that I never had a voice in setting for myself. I'm sure I'm not the only woman on this planet who has had this problem either. In my early 30's now and I'm trying to have a child, who knows if it'll happen or not, but all I can do is try. And that's all that I want to say in regards towards that. Moving on with the topic...

Thinking about FFX-2, what's everyone's opinion on how the main three are handled in that game?

I remember thinking "wow Square was pretty bold to release a game starring three strong women back then." Espeically with that opening scene, I was like "this is for the pop girl loving gays like me" lol. It was a very refreshing "not appealing to the straight male gamer" situation for me.

However I've seen the dress up complaints, and I'm wondering are those just for the more revealing outfits or the "dress up women" concept in general? I haven't really played the FFs with jobs but isn't the concept carried over from those anyway? (I.e. a character changes outfits based on what job they have).

So yeah, what's everyone's opinion on the portrayal of YuRiPa?

X-2 felt very, very close to Charlie's Angels for me and I thought that was fairly awesome, however, some of the costumes did make me roll my eyes. It was mostly the Berserker outfit and while I do get the idea of what they were trying to portray with the whole Amazonian, tribal, beastlike motif....there's far more tasteful ways of accomplishing that design beyond the "here's some bones, horns, tribal markings to go with the bikini and panties, let's call it a day".

Other than that, I thought the game was relatively enjoyable, especially the job system. The dress-up spheres felt more like they were pandering towards magical girls than towards hyper-sexualizing the women, except for that awful Berserker costume idea and Lady Luck had its issues as well. At the same time, I played that game when it was first released and it's been a few years so I may not remember everything about it.

Black Mage and Alchemist designs were probably my favorite.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
X-2 has a hot springs scene, that massage mini-game and a blatant lingering panty shot of Yuna during the first mission (not to mention that poster of her). It definitely ventures into sexual "fanservice" territory.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
latest

Speaking of XIII, someone recently reminded me of how mistreated Jihl's character was. Heavily set up in the pre-release only to be
killed by the main villain
. And we don't even fight her as far as I remember. Such a wasted opportunity.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
latest

Speaking of XIII, someone recently reminded me of how mistreated Jihl's character was. Heavily set up in the pre-release only to be
killed by the main villain
. And we don't even fight her as far as I remember. Such a wasted opportunity.
she became
a party member in the sequels dlc

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
but if she was a man.
Those that do this will never admit to this. Sadly not the first or last time. Time and time again I've seen the same people celebrate the stubbornness and anger of male characters while those same people condemn a character like Lightning for doing the same thing. But I might not be qualified to speak on this due to biases. haha

If you really do like her though, despite the awful outfits(which can be changed) and other crap, there is a fun game in LR and you'll get moments like this:
tumblr_n12qmrYAyS1rcex9mo1_640.png
tumblr_n12qmrYAyS1rcex9mo2_1280.png

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't progress far because I was focusing on the wrong classes and couldn't defeat one of the bosses but that's good to hear. I might pick up the game again after finishing other entries.

She's basically just an extra character added as DLC. She's an equivalent of all the other monsters you can recruit. IIRC she has a cutscene in the coliseum where you get her but no story significance beyond that. You do get to fight her though as you need to beat her to recruit her.

Jan 11, 2018
She's basically just an extra character added as DLC. She's an equivalent of all the other monsters you can recruit. IIRC she has a cutscene in the coliseum where you get her but no story significance beyond that. You do get to fight her though as you need to beat her to recruit her.

Same goes for Lightning, Snow and other DLC characters. And beating them does not guarantee that their "monster" crystals drop either, so you might have to farm them a few times. Although by the time you're strong enough to beat and recruit them, you've most likely also already beat the game and most if not all of its optional content.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We might have a new contender for a dumb line on this forum. "Can I skip the first game to play the second. The characters are hotter. The smash trailer left me thirsty"

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
We might have a new contender for a dumb line on this forum. "Can I skip the first game to play the second. The characters are hotter. The smash trailer left me thirsty"
I was wondering why a thread with a pretty innocuous looking title got closed, but I was scared to check...

A bit disheartened that such a thread was made at all. The fact that it exists is a pretty big indication that the discussions happening in here are as important as ever.

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
A bit disheartened that such a thread was made at all. The fact that it exists is a pretty big indication that the discussions happening in here are as important as ever.

Also sad that only a few people even commented on the horrible statement itself. Everyone else just treated it like normal. Goes to show how ingrained these types of statements are... :/

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
I have only read the first few replies, but sounds like hey didn't even bothered to read the one liner op

That's true - I'm sure there are some who really just didn't read and were only responding to the thread title. But there were enough people quoting the OP or other people in the thread and actively engaged in discussion that I don't know if I can give the benefit of the doubt to the whole thread lol. Then again maybe I'm weird because I can't imagine responding to a thread without reading the OP (I'm shy and terrified of making a mistake lmao).

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that Xenoblade thread was an intentional troll thread, though it's pretty disappointing that so few people even acknowledged how messed up it was.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017

Is that why that thread was made? I just assumed someone watched the Smash trailer and was curious how connected the narrative of the series was before deciding which game to try. I didn't enter the thread myself.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
That's true - I'm sure there are some who really just didn't read and were only responding to the thread title. But there were enough people quoting the OP or other people in the thread and actively engaged in discussion that I don't know if I can give the benefit of the doubt to the whole thread lol. Then again maybe I'm weird because I can't imagine responding to a thread without reading the OP (I'm shy and terrified of making a mistake lmao).
to be honest i didn't even read passed the opening question, I was just answering that because usually "do i need to play" questions are usually followed by just a longer variation, it why reverse poll thread the poll is asking the opposite something different from the title question looks completely different in results than posts in the thread

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

I just got up and walked away when I saw it. Didn't take it well that the main thing I hate about that game and the series in general, it going deeper and deeper into pandering, is exactly what others may want. That thread was so on the nose that I had to assume it was trolling just as a coping mechanism and leave before I read more to found out otherwise.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Apparently, a lot of guys love to get sexually aroused while playing video games! Seems to be an important aspect of the hobby...

Rofl...christ.

I don't know, I'd like to think that's a distraction while playing a video game! But, that's just me....xD

Here, hook them up with Ar Tonelico 3, that game literally made me shake my controller like a maraca in order to do combat. I should have given up on the game after that, but I kept telling myself to play for the story and the Hymmnos. Female characters are heavily sexualized in that game, especially in the third installment where if you didn't shake your controller hard enough, you couldn't take off their clothes (yes, that's a thing and fucking trainwreck of a "combat system") in order to make their magical attacks stronger. I could ignore the blatant fanservice in 1 & 2, mildly eye roll, and cringe at the sexual innuendos, but 3....3 tested the limit of my patience to finish a video game just for the sake of finishing it.

Even my SO was disgusted at it.

I can't get those hours of my life back.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Apparently, a lot of guys love to get sexually aroused while playing video games! Seems to be an important aspect of the hobby...

I get having a thirst, I do. What I don't get is guys or whoever else who need to publically brag about how horny they are???
Like, COOOL ?? Have fun with that. 🙃👎

Sorta why I hate having obviously sexxed-up characters is that they almost DO live in a vacuum. It turns the conversation almost SOLELY into that (there's way more chat about Tifa's design than her character, for instance).

Rofl...christ.

I don't know, I'd like to think that's a distraction while playing a video game! But, that's just me....xD

Here, hook them up with Ar Tonelico 3, that game literally made me shake my controller like a maraca in order to do combat. I should have given up on the game after that, but I kept telling myself to play for the story and the Hymmnos.

I can't get those hours of my life back.

Yeah just buy the OST. Worth it for that. But few games really set off so many alarms for how cheap it treats female characters, and way too many look way too fucking young.
Having a literal strip-tease element as a game mechanic just feels so dirty. It's equal opportunity, but for 1 guy there's like 6 girls. (And the game still kinda blows even if you're into the H-angle).

lol and Tilia has a case of boobs that only exist in armor.... cuz...fashion. 🤦‍♀️
d2qg2ep-ce0c4120-b342-4022-be32-bd21773dc3a5.gif

Click if you dare, but totally a NSFW
youtu.be

Tyria Persona Purge Flipsphere Gameplay Ar Tonelico Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel

Spoiler ALERT!!Persona: TyriaOrder of Video:Level 1 PurgeLevel 2 PurgeLevel 3 PurgeLevel 3 Purge AttackLevel 1-3 PurgeFlipsphereVisit my Channel for more Ar ...

Butt it's okay everyone! She's 700 years old!

(not sarcasm)

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah also guilty of not reading that OP.

I can't believe the thread was open for that long with that OP after I noticed it

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
I get having a thirst, I do. What I don't get is guys or whoever else who need to publically brag about how horny they are???
Like, COOOL ?? Have fun with that. 🙃👎

Sorta why I hate having obviously sexxed-up characters is that they almost DO live in a vacuum. It turns the conversation almost SOLELY into that (there's way more chat about Tifa's design than her character, for instance).

Yeah just buy the OST. Worth it for that. But few games really set off so many alarms for how cheap it treats female characters, and way too many look way too fucking young.
Having a literal strip-tease element as a game mechanic just feels so dirty. It's equal opportunity, but for 1 guy there's like 6 girls. (And the game still kinda blows even if you're into the H-angle).

lol and Tilia has a case of boobs that only exist in armor.... cuz...fashion. 🤦‍♀️
d2qg2ep-ce0c4120-b342-4022-be32-bd21773dc3a5.gif

Click if you dare, but totally a NSFW
youtu.be

Tyria Persona Purge Flipsphere Gameplay Ar Tonelico Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel

Spoiler ALERT!!Persona: TyriaOrder of Video:Level 1 PurgeLevel 2 PurgeLevel 3 PurgeLevel 3 Purge AttackLevel 1-3 PurgeFlipsphereVisit my Channel for more Ar ...

Butt it's okay everyone! She's 700 years old!

(not sarcasm)

I should have just bought the OST for the third game. I was introduced to the series by my best friend in college who was absolutely obsessed with the music and she liked the story elements of the setting. It also helped that the original combat system of 1 & 2 was similar to a game that she also loved a lot called Mana Khemia. I played the first and second game and apart from the dumb fanservice, the story wasn't perfect, but it was tolerable. It also helped that Lyner was dumb as a brick and most sexual references kind of flew over his head anyways and he wasn't actively thirsting on any particular character.

In the third game, however, I'm still in so much disbelief how we got to three after one and two. I get it...but at the same time, I also don't get it. I know that the game developer is an outright pervert, but I didn't think he'd go THAT far. T__T

The Purge Flipsphere mechanic needs to just die in a fire.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I honestly don't think most of the lightning hate is in bad faith. Sure, there's always gonna be some sexist people but the most popular party members in 13 are Fang and Sazh

And Snow and hope, two guys are hated as much as lightning is

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's a rad design. Bummed it's from a card game, tho, as that's not really my thing.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I should have just bought the OST for the third game. I was introduced to the series by my best friend in college who was absolutely obsessed with the music and she liked the story elements of the setting. It also helped that the original combat system of 1 & 2 was similar to a game that she also loved a lot called Mana Khemia. I played the first and second game and apart from the dumb fanservice, the story wasn't perfect, but it was tolerable. It also helped that Lyner was dumb as a brick and most sexual references kind of flew over his head anyways and he wasn't actively thirsting on any particular character.

In the third game, however, I'm still in so much disbelief how we got to three after one and two. I get it...but at the same time, I also don't get it. I know that the game developer is an outright pervert, but I didn't think he'd go THAT far. T__T

The Purge Flipsphere mechanic needs to just die in a fire.
don't remind me, that game has the most cursed dlc ever

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
*confused Reinhardt noises*

Yea, I know. It does sound pretty crazy. The game developer/designer thought that it would be....."appealing"....to distance themselves further away from the turn-based combat system of Ar Tonelico and Ar Tonelico II which was almost a JRPG staple at the time. It was your standard, run-of-mill, person's turn comes up and then you attack your picked target. You had four characters on the screen at all time and three of them they were mostly male with the exception of one or two female bodyguard types. The Revyateils, which are no more than overly sexualized and objectified women, were your mages that needed protection and guards so they were always in the back of the combat field. The older games functioned on a priority, turn-based system and that was lovely. The only sexualized aspect of combat was the different kinds of outfits that you could put your Revyateils in which would offer different stat inflation, buffs, or in some cases....debuffs towards their HP, MP, etc.

Well, when the third installment was made, they went with this free-run sort of combat system on a movable field like with Tales of the Abyss and all of the later Tales games that were sure to follow. You still had your four party members with most of the three predominantly being male and only allowed one Revyateil on the field. The twist.....you needed to hold down R1, R2, L1, and L2 while aggressively shaking the PS3 controller to strip-tease your Revyateills because apparently, the less clothing that they wore....the stronger that their magical attacks were. Magical attacks were essentially your hardest-hitting AOE skills. In the third game, they called it "Purging" as a combat mechanic. In the prior installments, this wasn't ever a thing and just had different costumes that you could choose and quite honestly, the wedding costumes had the highest stat inflation in the first and second game and they had the most skin coverage.

I apologize for the poor quality of screenshots, but these were taken directly from the game's instruction manual.

NSFW YOUTUBE BELOW - I think she is the worst one of them by far. Click link if you dare.

NSFW AT ALL

Last edited:

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
I was a little disappointed when the Loop Hero protag turned out to be a guy, they're androgynous enough where I kinda hoped they'd be a woman and/or nonbinary, lol.

Game has great character design in general though.