• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
It should be noted that FFXIV allows you to be as armored as you want. It has a very generous glamour system and armor can be quite good.

Your number 1 annoyance will be clearly male players playing skimpy female character glams.

Agreed if I had a single gil for every 2B pants and bikini set I'd be a billionaire.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
downloaded FFXIV. bullshit incoming y/n

So to preface, when people say it's the best final fantasy in years, I totally agree.
Heavensward and Shadowbringers have very good stories.

So outfitwise I think Yda and Minfillia have the most dubious outfits out of the main characters:

6otrGRe.png

ptoS8EL.png

Of course it's an mmo so you'll have other people's characters in the same world as you so be prepared for cat / bunny girls dressed in underwear in the cities.

The other thing is that some bosses and enemies can be described as sexualised monstrous women.

jblHAKn.png

NjKBpzs.png

---

I played through it last year and one of the things I felt especially early on is that the tone of the game isn't very consistent. Of course since it's an MMO it's going to have silly stuff, like the golden saucer and comedic quests.

But I made a thread about how this game which mostly seemed kinda light.
You know fantasy, crystals etc etc. Dress up your characters go on an adventure, the final fantasy summons are up to no good.
You're doing these fetch quests and it feels like playing a game like Skyrim.

Then you have a cutscene where you're talking to a chief of a refugee village and a woman comes in saying she was just raped by a group of criminals by and her friend saw is happen and is going to get revenge.

???: Gun...Gundobald... <groan> I-I...

Gundobald: Bertliana!? Gods preserve! What happened!?

Bertliana: I was out foraging...when the Corpse Brigade came... They took me to their hideout...and they...they... <sob>

Bertliana: The whole while, they laughed at me... <sob> They said that I suffer... b-because I cling on to hope... <sob>

Bertliana: Is it wrong to dream of home? Is it wrong to call ourselves Ala Mhigans?

Gundobald: Do not heed such poisonous notions, child. Our dreams are what sustain us. Be strong─I swear to you, those villains will answer for their crimes in due time. But tell me...does anyone else know of this?

Bertliana: Wilred... He saw me outside... He was so angry...

From my perspective it came out of nowhere. Whilst of course the setting is a war torn world, it just felt gratuitous. If she came in saying they stole her money or goods they were going to sell at the market, it would have made no difference to the effectiveness of the scene.

Thankfully there isn't more scenes like this in the game.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
So to preface, when people say it's the best final fantasy in years, I totally agree.
Heavensward and Shadowbringers have very good stories.

So outfitwise I think Yda and Minfillia have the most dubious outfits out of the main characters:

6otrGRe.png

ptoS8EL.png

Of course it's an mmo so you'll have other people's characters in the same world as you so be prepared for cat / bunny girls dressed in underwear in the cities.

The other thing is that some bosses and enemies can be described as sexualised monstrous women.

jblHAKn.png

NjKBpzs.png

---

I played through it last year and one of the things I felt especially early on is that the tone of the game isn't very consistent. Of course since it's an MMO it's going to have silly stuff, like the golden saucer and comedic quests.

But I made a thread about how this game which mostly seemed kinda light.
You know fantasy, crystals etc etc. Dress up your characters go on an adventure, the final fantasy summons are up to no good.
You're doing these fetch quests and it feels like playing a game like Skyrim.

Then you have a cutscene where you're talking to a chief of a refugee village and a woman comes in saying she was just raped by a group of criminals by and her friend saw is happen and is going to get revenge.

???: Gun...Gundobald... <groan> I-I...

Gundobald: Bertliana!? Gods preserve! What happened!?

Bertliana: I was out foraging...when the Corpse Brigade came... They took me to their hideout...and they...they... <sob>

Bertliana: The whole while, they laughed at me... <sob> They said that I suffer... b-because I cling on to hope... <sob>

Bertliana: Is it wrong to dream of home? Is it wrong to call ourselves Ala Mhigans?

Gundobald: Do not heed such poisonous notions, child. Our dreams are what sustain us. Be strong─I swear to you, those villains will answer for their crimes in due time. But tell me...does anyone else know of this?

Bertliana: Wilred... He saw me outside... He was so angry...

From my perspective it came out of nowhere. Whilst of course the setting is a war torn world, it just felt gratuitous. If she came in saying they stole her money or goods they were going to sell at the market, it would have made no difference to the effectiveness of the scene.

Thankfully there isn't more scenes like this in the game.

I feel like ARR had a lot of that problem esp the first dungeon Satasha...

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I don't know if it's already been discussed in the past, but I started playing remade The Bard's Tale Trilogy and was quite positively surprised by most of the default class portraits for women. As far as I've understood the original Bard's Tale games didn't have playable women at all. Still they just could not avoid some unfortunate choices, like rogue's (left on second row) bare midriff and wizard's (right on fifth row) boob focus, which certainly aren't as bad as designs are in many, many other games, but they feel like they stand out even worse when they are among other women wearing actual armor and "regular" mage robes.

SOnfzZM.jpg

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I don't know if it's already been discussed in the past, but I started playing remade The Bard's Tale Trilogy and was quite positively surprised by most of the default class portraits for women. As far as I've understood the original Bard's Tale games didn't have playable women at all. Still they just could not avoid some unfortunate choices, like rogue's (left on second row) bare midriff and wizard's (right on fifth row) boob focus, which certainly aren't as bad as designs are in many, many other games, but they feel like they stand out even worse when they are among other women wearing actual armor and "regular" mage robes.

SOnfzZM.jpg
Unrelated, but the last character is straight up Juno from Banner Saga.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of which, are the Banner Saga games any good? I've been considering them lately.
I absolutely loved the art but hated the gameplay personally. Only played the first game but it wasn't what I wanted in a SRPG with jumping around and some choices leaving you screwed later (I lost a great character and had a lvl 1 forced in my party at end game which was just awful)

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Speaking of which, are the Banner Saga games any good? I've been considering them lately.
I love the games and was super engrossed for the duration of the story. Gameplay-wise it's also great, but I think it might get repetitive if you play the trilogy back to back. Giving some time between each entry might make them appreciate them more (I played the games on release, so a few years between each). And to stick to thread, I quite like how women are treated/represented on the game, as far as I recall at least.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just be aware that Viera are limited in terms of headwear/hats, if that matters to you.

Also you need to own Shadowbringers (thus not free trial) to play them as well.

You do however get a free fantastia (race/sex change) upon completion of the ARR 2.0 storyline and so one can save that till they buy Shadowbringers and can play Viera.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I'm going to state the obvious and say that most countries in the world's media input is terrible at including women over 25. It's not a one country problem

Trucy Wright

Dec 15, 2020
The Christmas Cake stereotype will continue on despite the fact that Japan itself has moved on from it. An unfortunate quirk of the global influence of anime

I don't think anime is to blame when it comes to stereotypes, I'm sorry but at this point I'll call it by what it is, Xenophobia

stop.streotyping.people!!!

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Hollywood is infamous for it's allergy to older women yet some people like to stereotype POC and let others slide
Like even if we are talking about the games industry alone, how many older women characters are there actually compared to men in Western games? It's a big problem. And honestly some of the biggest sexism scandals in the last year have happened at western studios so we need to be more careful in our words in this thread. It's racist to Asian countries and it's sexist in that it ignores the very real big problem that happens in the western game industry

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Like even if we are talking about the games industry alone, how many older women characters are there actually compared to men in Western games? It's a big problem. And honestly some of the biggest sexism scandals in the last year have happened at western studios so we need to be more careful in our words in this thread. It's racist to Asian countries and it's sexist in that it ignores the very real big problem that happens in the western game industry
Yep there are a lot of companies that are in the west that say women main characters don't sell games. Very few western companies actually make their main character a woman as a result, and if a woman does play a prominent role they aren't put on the cover. EA and Ubisoft are incredibly bad for this

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anime is to blame when it comes to stereotypes, I'm sorry but at this point I'll call it by what it is, Xenophobia

stop.streotyping.people!!!
Early 00s anime has an unwarranted amount of nostalgia tied to it, which is why the unfound stereotypes such as the "christmas cake" persist in western circles. It's definitely a horrible stereotype, that this thread frankly invokes far too often. That said, I wouldn't call it xenophobia as the intent is focused on the proper portrayal of women, regardless of its cultural touchstones. Both Hollywood & Japan (and everywhere else) are terrible at portraying older women in a competent & respectful manner.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I would add, I wouldn't tie Hollywood with West and Anime with Japan. Criticizing Hollywood isn't criticizing the West, and criticizing anime isn't criticizing Japan. There's way more culture in both to be this reductive.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The Christmas Cake stereotype will continue on despite the fact that Japan itself has moved on from it. An unfortunate quirk of the global influence of anime
I apologise if my post came off insensitive in some way. It wasn't intended.
But I don't see why it's unfair to criticise Japanese media for an overuse of young characters across media, while older characters, particularly older women are used disproportionately less.

I don't think Japan has moved on from it at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

Jun 2, 2019
I apologise if my post came off insensitive in some way. It wasn't intended.
But I don't see why it's unfair to criticise Japanese media for an overuse of young characters across media, while older characters, particularly older women are used disproportionately less.

I don't think Japan has moved on from it at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

Well, for starters, it happens in both japanese and western media, both the overuse of young characters and the fall of usage of older characters.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Well, for starters, it happens in both japanese and western media, both the overuse of young characters and the fall of usage of older characters.
While that is true, I feel it is way more prevalent in Japanese media than western. Including video games. Even too absurd lengths where a character will be designed and portrayed much older than their actual age which will be mid 20s at most.
For example that Tekken character we were talking about.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
While that is true, I feel it is way more prevalent in Japanese media than western. Including video games. Even too absurd lengths where a character will be designed and portrayed much older than their actual age which will be mid 20s at most.
again all media that is targeted to young adults, like most anime and japanese games, we don't get japanese drama's that target adults in japan, we don't get bones or empire equivalents, we get the flash and steven universe equivalents. tekken while having adult fans is not targeted towards adults, neither is something like fruit baskets or naruto. stereotyping because of the media that is licensed doesn't help anyone. This is mostly a target audience issue that you are stereotyping as all japan, something that happens everywhere in the world and is something that everywhere in the world has issue with

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
downloaded FFXIV. bullshit incoming y/n
100% incoming, especially from some NPC's (looking at you minfilia).

Other than that, the player characters can be as clothed or as armored as desired. However, I'm disappointed that Pugilists just barely wear anything (starting out at least)

adnap.png

If you are a pugilist wouldn't it make sense to be more covered and armored, since you are up close and personal with enemies?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Other than that, the player characters can be as clothed or as armored as desired. However, I'm disappointed that Pugilists just barely wear anything (starting out at least)

adnap.png

If you are a pugilist wouldn't it make sense to be more covered and armored, since you are up close and personal with enemies?
That's not a pugilist outfit, it's a racial one (Mi'qote). You'll get a proper armor soon enough, or you can recreate the character with any other race except Viera.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

adnap.png

As others have said, this is the miquote racial starting outfit. You'll replace it within 30 minutes

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Why is 'well Japan does it more' a valid excuse for generalizing?

It's not just you Mars People and I don't mean to call you out, but I have seen it used around Era and here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
This thread had a big conversation about where some members were getting pretty offended about the anti-asian implication that was being posted here even if that wasn't the intent, and in my personal opinion with things going on in the world were very right to mention it. Some posters were defending the blanket statements almost in a way people defend having bikini armour in games, it was a bit of an eye opening moment for me reading sometimes as I have been as guilty of anyone as painting with the same brush Japan as a whole in this regard.

Tekken is the issue then criticize the creators, company and artists for sure but not the whole county :)

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Just gotta look at any thread for Returnal to see that fear of old women is not just also a western problem, but a resetera problem even.
Old women are very rarely allowed to exist in any media, I can't think of many games with old women that aren't extremely minor side characters, and how widespread is the whole problem with "man in his 50s action hero, love interest is a women in her 20s or 30s" in tv and movies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like, I think "X company has a problem with older women" works or even "the Japanese gaming scene has a problem with older women" if you want to laser focus on one particular area of discussion, but "Japan has a problem" is the kind of generalization that should be avoided, because you're not talking about media anymore, you're talking about an entire country. It's easy for me as an outsider to say shit like that overlooking the people in those countries making an effort to change it.

Namco has exactly two female characters over the age of thirty in either of their fighters, Ivy and Hilde from Soul Calibur, and the former was also age-locked at 32 so she could appear as-is after the timeskip in Soul Calibur V while the latter got to be 36 (and I think she had a kid too, which is really weird for Namco because they also threw out Jun Kazama and Michelle Chang after they had kids), but then come Soul Calibur VI Hilde is also young again (even younger than her original appearance in Soul Calibur IV, where she was 18, since SCVI is set during the events of Soul Calibur) so it's just Ivy now.

Tekken brought back Kunimitsu but made sure it was her daughter instead of the original Kunimitsu from Tekken 1 and 2.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We should be able to say "anime has a problem with the way it objectifies young women" without getting a response of "what about Hollywood". By all means criticize Hollywood as well, but the fact remains anime has problems that should be allowed to be discussed (in various forms of media including games).

Calling out "Japan" as if Japan = Anime isn't okay of course