• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't that long a go that we did have a poster in this thread ask us to be careful round generalising asian games or japanese games as sexist and anime games in this forum is often used just to mean japanese games. Specifically as it does often go into a racist area with the generalisation. And I'll be honest most of the generalisation posts are often like one sentence posts that aren't that deep and aren't really going that deep into the issues. No one's saying not to say stuff about the sexualisation in those games. And quite frankly those defending the sexualisation as part of anime games and somethiung to be expected are also engaging in generalisation and quite frankly being kinda racist themselves as they treat it like those japanese devs just can't help but be sexist. We should call them out too.

Kaebi's posts about this thread generalizing Japan were very good and warranted, and I don't think it is fair to compare what is going on now to those.

I think its pretty noteworthy that Morrigan can make a very good faith post about her issues with the depiction of women in ff7r, being very specific in her distaste for that specific game, and somehow we're derailed into a multipost argument about generalizing all anime. To me it was 100% clear what Morrigan was referring to when she said "waifu/anime school-girl caricatures" what she meant, and I think one would have to be very disingenuous to read her post and say "I must now defend all anime that Morrigan has attacked across the board.", which some posters have done.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I think it's established at this point that AC is an RPG-lite. I don't see them ditching the gender choice aspect
yep the more rpg it went the lass likely was this to happen,

you know i wish asscreed didn't change it's formula going for a more rpg style (i am also one of those people who thinks killing desmond was a terrible idea), as much as i am burnt out on it i would still play and enjoy those games, as it stands i have no desire to play Asscreed post syndicate and i own origins

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Valhalla right now and having fun, I'm just sick and tired of women being shafted in the series. Ubi made Alexios playable because wimmin don't sell, and 2/3 of players chose Alexios!!!! aughghgg I still get mad just thinking about it

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Kaebi's posts about this thread generalizing Japan were very good and warranted, and I don't think it is fair to compare what is going on now to those.

I think its pretty noteworthy that Morrigan can make a very good faith post about her issues with the depiction of women in ff7r, being very specific in her distaste for that specific game, and somehow we're derailed into a multipost argument about generalizing all anime. To me it was 100% clear what Morrigan was referring to when she said "waifu/anime school-girl caricatures" what she meant, and I think one would have to be very disingenuous to read this post as "I must now defend all anime that Morrigan has attacked across the board.
To be clear I did say earlier in the thread that I think Morrigan's criticism was good and wasn't that generalisation at all. Just that there were some posters that ended up doing that in this thread. And again, I am aware that a lot of it happens because there are the defenders that keep excusing sexism in games by saing "of course it has to be there! That's just anime and normal!". I would say if we are going to crack down on generalisation, cracking down on those defenders using those arguements would be a large part of it.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Valhalla right now and having fun, I'm just sick and tired of women being shafted in the series. Ubi made Alexios playable because wimmin don't sell, and 2/3 of players chose Alexios!!!! aughghgg I still get mad just thinking about it

It goes back further right, didn't the syndicate developers have to fight super hard to even include Evie as playable at all or something like that?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It goes back further right, didn't the syndicate developers have to fight super hard to even include Evie as playable at all or something like that?
I think so? They defo wanted Aya also to be the main protag with Bayek dying in early game and her taking over. And Kassandra was meant to be the only protag in her game. And then there's the fact Eivor is a feminine game and while I am ware there's a "lore" reason for it , they just had to give a protag option :/ I want to be hopeful, but I suspect they will keep the gender choice going forward. It's just a shame as there's so many specific stories they could go for if they had a female protag in a historical game that you just can't reflect with the gender choice protag.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I think so? They defo wanted Aya also to be the main protag with Bayek dying in early game and her taking over. And Kassandra was meant to be the only protag in her game. And then there's the fact Eivor is a feminine game and while I am ware there's a "lore" reason for it , they just had to give a protag option :/ I want to be hopeful, but I suspect they will keep the gender choice going forward. It's just a shame as there's so many specific stories they could go for if they had a female protag in a historical game that you just can't reflect with the gender choice protag.

more than that it just feels like cowardice and an unwillingness to unapologetically front a female character

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear I did say earlier in the thread that I think Morrigan's criticism was good and wasn't that generalisation at all. Just that there were some posters that ended up doing that in this thread. And again, I am aware that a lot of it happens because there are the defenders that keep excusing sexism in games by saing "of course it has to be there! That's just anime and normal!". I would say if we are going to crack down on generalisation, cracking down on those defenders using those arguements would be a large part of it.

I would agree with the sentiment that the hardcore anime defenders are generalizing it too, yeah. If someone posts "I hate these anime waifu character animations" and your thought isn't "yeah, I wish that stuff wasn't so endemic in this media I love" and is instead "how dare they attack this media I love", there's definitely an internal generalization going on for that poster too. They are basically saying its true.

I think Evie was supposed to have a MUCH bigger role whereas in the game as released she's in barely any story missions. it's gross

Its unfortunate. Syndicate should have been a true duo game with the siblings doing sibling stuff the whole time. How often do we get to see a healthy brother/sister relationship in a video game?
And all these other games it seems like time and time again developers wanted to make the protagonist a woman only to be shut down.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
That's something that gets to me, too, but I think it's driven by the whole "default=male" idea. If you don't make an effort to integrate some (ugh) "feminine coding", people will just assume "male". Does my head in tbh.

I have noticed that with Magic cards. I play in English but sometimes watch German streams and noticed some cards I though of as male and who aren't gendered in English are actually women.

129_Dominaria_englisch_Magic_the_Gathering_MTG.jpg
Image.ashx

Feb 24, 2018
Meh. There's a reason why anime are lumped together but they are not necessary good or valid reasons and often come from a lack of experience or knowledge (or just not caring about anime in general.) Even saying anime is generally sexist and often misogynistic is something I wouldn't consider remotely true, and that's the kind of attack on the medium as a whole that is going to make people including me defensive in a way that specific criticisms about specific works wouldn't. It is clear what people usually mean tho when they talk about anime as a whole in terms of the more popular and male focused stuff, it is just kind of annoying to see.

On the one hand, I agree generalizing mediums isn't a great thing in general and I admit, I do get annoyed when during smash threads and Reddit posts when I stuff like "anime swordsman/woman" posts because a lot of the time, some people really don't realize anime isn't a single artstyle or something they like is anime (hi family).

On the other hand, a lot of anime does have issues that do need to be addressed and criticized and I can't blame anyone for being put off by it or having issues with it because it's sadly way to common, especially women. Part of the reason I just stopped watching and reading shonen in general was because it was just how constant it felt like in Dragon Ball, their is stuff in Super that I'm baffled was even approved of (it involves Muten Roshi) that made me wince and that's just just the overtly sexist stuff, their is then the general attitudes and treatments of characters like Chi Chi that bother me.

Even Pokémon, it's BY FAR better in terms of treatment of women then a lot of anime, but even that has problems like with Brock's behaviour around women. I can't blame anyone who's off put by how women are drawn or treated like in Digimon either after over a decade where any post Child level Digimon designed to be feminine where turned into hypersexualized humans or humanoids with official cards with them in softcore poses. That's not even getting into stuff like the infantilisation.

Whether or not it's fair on the areas of anime that don't do this, I do feel their needs to be more pushback, discussion and criticism towards the areas of anime that do this, it's quite frankly pathetic that SNK's leading woman wad bard from appearing in Smash because of her sexualized design and the jiggle physics of Pyra.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
if the next mainline AssCreed game doesn't have a single, dedicated female protagonist, I'm gonna. idk. write an angry post on ResetEra dot com
lmao

I look forward to reading it
s*rge h*scoet is gone from Ubisoft though and he's the one who forced the Odyssey team to make Alexios playable bc wimmin don't sell, so......... hope?
Yeahhhh even so, I wouldn't count on it, honestly. I remember reading an interview with an Ubisoft game designer where they basically said that all AssCreeds would have both choices from now on and I just don't see them backtracking from that. So, best give up on dedicated female protags in AssCreed I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhhh even so, I wouldn't count on it, honestly. I remember reading an interview with an Ubisoft game designer where they basically said that all AssCreeds would have both choices from now on and I just don't see them backtracking from that. So, best give up on dedicated female protags in AssCreed I'm afraid.

tenor.gif

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Anime as a whole probably didn't have widespread association with infantilisation until maybe the mid to late 00s. I would need to look through the offerings of the time to verify that out-my-ass statement. But from my memory, character designs weren't infantilised as much. As the aggregate art style evolved I think it shifted towards more obvious pandering.
Otaku pandering has been around forever, it's just a combo of it being easier than ever to get the late night pandering shows in the United States than say, kid or teen shows syndicated on cartoon Network and the like, and the budgets on shows hitting the complete limits of reasonable being higher than ever for a merch arms race

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The one cool thing about the continuing male leads in Assassin's Creed is that they can be gay... but even that's only to a point, and a choice within a choice. And it is never really fleshed out to really make it noteworthy (I haven't played enough Valhalla to see how it handles romance admittedly.)

Why they haven't just come up with some magical ancient artifact that makes it so the protagonist doesn't have to have babies is beyond me.

At the very least they've stuck with Layla for 3 games in a row.

but I just accidentally spoiled myself with a google search and welp, so much for her potentially one day matching Desmond's number of games

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
While I'm super happy to see non-binary rep in Gnosia, it does bring to mind an issue I have where most non-binary folks in media are still heavily femme-coded. Sure, some may be androgynous but even then they still *feel* more femme than not. Us masc-presenting enbies exist and I would love to see more representation in media.

Yes, yes, yes! I'm ecstatic to finally start seeing more rep, but I'm looking forward to the day that the rep breaks free of its "new and novel" feeling and is allowed to branch out to be more diverse. Though I feel the same way about how a lot of non-binary rep is in all media right now in general, with the non-binary characters often all having the same general look instead of being just as diverse and varied as the non-binary population as a whole. Also, still waiting for the day we get non-binary options as standard in character creators, but that's a whole other topic, I suppose.

Feb 24, 2018
Lastly on Pokémon, it's eye rolling how hard it is to find non-sexualized fan art of Gardevoir or turned into a wife-like character by artists.

Always assumed when I first saw Gardevoir via sapphire and the original official art they had no mouth or legs like a phantom (or a blob thing since their in that egg-group), kind of a shame that wasn't the case.
250px-282Gardevoir.png

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, yes, yes! I'm ecstatic to finally start seeing more rep, but I'm looking forward to the day that the rep breaks free of its "new and novel" feeling and is allowed to branch out to be more diverse. Though I feel the same way about how a lot of non-binary rep is in all media right now in general, with the non-binary characters often all having the same general look instead of being just as diverse and varied as the non-binary population as a whole. Also, still waiting for the day we get non-binary options as standard in character creators, but that's a whole other topic, I suppose.

There's no character creation in Gnosia, but it is worth mentioning that the game does let you pick your gender and includes non-binary. I believe the only effect this has is that characters will not use any gendered pronouns when referring to the player character.

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
There's no character creation in Gnosia, but it is worth mentioning that the game does let you pick your gender and includes non-binary. I believe the only effect this has is that characters will not use any gendered pronouns when referring to the player character.

Oh, that's very nice! Even if it's just visible in the pronouns used, that's still a nice touch to include.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's very nice! Even if it's just visible in the pronouns used, that's still a nice touch to include.

Yeah I love that some games are at least making this effort. I also kind of love that the most recent CoD has this same option because it means I can say things like, "Look, if Activision can make Reagan use 'they/them' for my character, why can't you make it an option?"

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
to be fair at no point does pokemon ever say brocks behavior around women is an actual good thing, he gets punished for it everytime he does it my favorite being

Doesn't really matter though, as it's a children's show it's teaching children that treating women that way is a funny way to act and will get you laughs.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know this will derail the current conversations here, but I had to vent that OMG i am SOOOOOO tired of xenoblade 2 threads!
It feels like bait at this point.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Comet's design is pretty bad, but I think Gnosia has worse issues.

If you enter the Cold Sleep Room right before Jonas reveals himself as the doctor for the first time, you're met with a (mercifully blacked-out) scene where he enjoys inspecting the frozen body to an uncomfortable degree.

There's an event where you're met with a naked Raqio in the shower room and SQ is shocked they have a "you know what". The game then adds a bullet-point to Raqio's profile saying they're "technically, physically male". Very important information.

There's also ableism in Jonas's brain damage being played for laughs and Kukrushka, the only mute character in the game, turning out to be a murderous, nonhuman monster of unknown origin.

As for the anime discussion, there are most definitely problems unique to anime. Like, a lot of anime fans just seem to be straight-up numb to gratuitous (often nonconsensual) fanservice, sexual harassments/assault being played for laughs, and even pedophilia to a degree. There's no way in hell people would call a western-made piece of media with all the horrifying shit in Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid "wholesome", but I've definitely seen people use that word to describe Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Lastly on Pokémon, it's eye rolling how hard it is to find non-sexualized fan art of Gardevoir or turned into a wife-like character by artists.

Always assumed when I first saw Gardevoir via sapphire and the original official art they had no mouth or legs like a phantom (or a blob thing since their in that egg-group), kind of a shame that wasn't the case.
250px-282Gardevoir.png

Generations later and we have Hatterene who is basically this but somehow taken even further by those same fans

She looks like this -

858Hatterene.png

And of course certain fans assumed certain characteristics because of course they did.

But in reality, she's basically a noodly stick figure

Screen_Shot_2019_12_04_at_11.11.51_AM.png

At least I found this good fan-art on my search

oddymcstrange-when-hatterene-doesn-t-feel-like-going-out.png

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
to be fair at no point does pokemon ever say brocks behavior around women is an actual good thing, he gets punished for it everytime he does it my favorite being

Yeah, unfortunately as Foot said, even if Brock is "punished" for the bad behavior, it normalizes the behavior to begin with.

It's not just pokemon. It was a recurring joke in Inuyasha. Miroku does something bad, Sango slaps him or hits him with her giant-ass boomerang. Keitaro stumbles into a bath in Love Hina? Gets kicked into outerspace. So long as the guy gets "punished" then everything is okay.

It's hard to see the lasting effects on this, but it's there. I didn't really become aware of it myself until the Vic Mignogna stuff came out. To this day you have defenders saying "Oh, if he really did something bad, his victims would have fought back." They truly believed that if he harassed someone, then the woman's response was to kick him into a wall anime style. But since the women didn't, then "everything must be okay."

To move it back more on topic, it circles around to Morrigan 's criticism of the Wall Market chapter. The implication of what would have happened to Tifa and Aerith if they weren't super-powered and able to fight back is.....well, I understand what she means about the scene being played for laughs.

May 17, 2019
I'm very tired of talking about this, so I'll just say a few more things before retreating in the shadows.

I think the #notallanime and "what about the other media??" crowd is missing the point. There's a reason why anime are lumped together when talking about these things. It's because the medium has general characteristics that are very identifiable. And I'm sorry, but one of these characteristics is a generally sexist and often misogynistic portrayal of women. It's rampant in the shonen category aimed at young boys, but it's often also present in the other types, especially in modern stuff.

Is sexism and misogyny also present in other media? Is it in movies and television? Oh yes it is! Of course!! The difference with anime is that the sexism is so ingrained into the medium that it is seen as an important defining characteristic celebrated by many people. You want proof of that? In addition to countless other threads in this forum, just look at the recent FF7R thread by Morrigan. There is a huge crowd of people absolutely refusing to understand how women running, talking, and acting all cutesy like if they were weak children might be sexist. They've seen this kind of behavior from girls and women in anime and anime-style media so much that it's completely normal to them. "It's anime-inspired stuff, what do you expect?" And look at how defensive they all get when talking about it. It's important to them, it's part of the experience.

Yes, sexism and misogyny take many forms and are present in all types of media. But when it's so visible and accepted – celebrated even – to the point of taking the form of widely recognizable and defining characteristics inside a specific medium, it needs to be called out.

Would you say it is more of an exception proves the rule type thing? There are anime with female characters that are fascinatingly written and largely devoid fanservice (Lin, Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent, House of Five Leaves, Utena, Tatami Galaxy, Flowers of Evil, etc), but I largely agree. I mean, the often derided Miyazaki quote was directly addressing the problems of the medium.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
I know this will derail the current conversations here, but I had to vent that OMG i am SOOOOOO tired of xenoblade 2 threads!

I feel you. I've stopped posting on them a long time ago because I think I've said almost everything I wanted to say on the game, but some of the arguments people use to dismiss criticism of it are beginning to get on my nerves. #1 being "People who've actually played the game like it", and #2 being "It's unfair for people to undermine the game over its problematic elements" - although it's typically worded like "I don't like the sexualized/tropey/whatever elements either, but it makes up so little of the actual game that I don't think it's fair to call the whole thing bad because of them."

The 1st argument is a really lazy way of dismissing any criticism, while also reinforcing the belief that people who don't like the game haven't played it (because, you know, gotta protect that fragile ego from the fact that people who've played your favorite JRPG to the end might actually think it's trash). And the 2nd is dismissive of the fact that elements like those are totally legitimate reasons to have for painting a game as bad. Like, you don't have to agree with it, but at least respect the viewpoint.

Couple that with the constant hyperbole about a game that is, from most gaming communities, widely regarded as good with a lot of problems (even if you're ignoring the sexualization and eye-rolly tropes/characterizations), and yeah...I'm tired of them too lol. It's like the fans who champion it to these lofty heights are totally blind to the fact that the game is extremely polarizing. Or rather, maybe they talk the game up so much *because* of how much push-back it gets.

EDIT: Lots of typos

Last edited:

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Couple that with the constant hyperbole about a game that is, from most gaming communities, widely regarded as good with a lot of problems (even if you're ignoring the sexualization and eye-rolly tropes/characterizations), and yeah...I'm tired of them too lol. It's like the fans who champion it too these lofty heights are totally blind to the fact that the game is extremely polarizing. Or rather, maybe they talk the game up so much *because* of how much push-back it gets.

I think this is what really gets me. There is near unanimous agreement that the side quests suck, it's grindy, the GATCHA system sucks, the field skills suck, the town/store leveling system sucks, the battle system is pretty boring by the end. But it's also at the same time the best jrpg ever made EVER! /s

It really makes me view any "this game is a masterpiece of perfection" threads with a huge amount of suspicion.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Would you say it is more of an exception proves the rule type thing? There are anime with female characters that are fascinatingly written and largely devoid fanservice (Lin, Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent, House of Five Leaves, Utena, Tatami Galaxy, Flowers of Evil, etc), but I largely agree. I mean, the often derided Miyazaki quote was directly addressing the problems of the medium.

I don't even think anime with well-handled women are the exception in reality. But in terms of popular series or male-led series they may be.

May 17, 2019
I feel you. I've stopped posting on them a long time ago because I think I've said almost everything I wanted to say on the game, but some of the arguments people use to dismiss criticism of it are beginning to get on my nerves. #1 being "People who've actually played the game like it", and #2 being "It's unfair for people to undermine the game over its problematic elements" - although it's typically worded like "I don't like the sexualized/tropey/whatever elements either, but it makes up so little of the actual game that I don't think it's fair to call the whole thing bad because of them."

or #3: You hate it because it popular to hate it. (Bioshock Infinite defense)
#4: You're just being contrarian/ pretentious. (Someone once told me everyone would be celebrating God of War 2018 if it was an indie game)

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
I agree with the points criticizing anime here but one shouldn't forget that most anime has sources and that what is popular in the West may be on the fringe in Japan itself (while the original manga might thrive). My point is that not a long ago, we had this:

What do these gentlemen have in common other than supporting that person? Their inability to write good female characters (not generalization, my opinion based on every individual's works). Yet, they are prolific authors shaping young minds and other aspects of the pop culture, including video games. What I mean is that saying "the game is anime" is definitely more convenient and not entirely wrong but we can look deeper and discover certain culprits, which is better than generalizing the country or the medium, I guess.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
User warned: antagonizing another member, cross-thread sniping
Hahaha, "a unique and gripping game bursting with heart and creativity"??? Yeah, it's performative for sure.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I have a $20 copy of Xenoblade 2 I got for Xmas because I enjoyed the first one.

I GUESS I'll play it. Some time before I die.

I agree with the points criticizing anime here but one shouldn't forget that most anime has sources and that what is popular in the West may be on the fringe in Japan itself (while the original manga might thrive). My point is that not a long ago, we had this:

What do these gentlemen have in common other than supporting that person? Their inability to write good female characters (not generalization, my opinion based on every individual's works). Yet, they are prolific authors shaping young minds and other aspects of the pop culture, including video games. What I mean is that saying "the game is anime" is definitely more convenient and not entirely wrong but we can look deeper and discover certain culprits, which is better than generalizing the country or the medium, I guess.

Watsuki getting forgiven (or rather, they just don't give a damn) was heartbreaking. I was a huge fan of Kenshin. So much I have every episode and movie associated with it before that news was broke. But I'd sooner throw them all in a river before forgiving that man.

Also saw that Renne pin up from Trails. I may have to give up the series after CS4. It was a gift, as well, so I am willed to play it.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
This is only tangentially related to the topic I guess, but while the thread's talking anime, do any of y'all have some good recommendations on non-gross, age-appropriate shows for an 11-year-old? My niece is super into anime lately and I'd like to point her towards shows that aren't full of all the bullshit being discussed here, but I just don't know much about it and I'm running out of ideas.

So far we've watched and enjoyed Eizouken, A Place Further than the Universe, and most of the Ghiblis.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
This is only tangentially related to the topic I guess, but while the thread's talking anime, do any of y'all have some good recommendations on non-gross, age-appropriate shows for an 11-year-old? My niece is super into anime lately and I'd like to point her towards shows that aren't full of all the bullshit being discussed here, but I just don't know much about it and I'm running out of ideas.

So far we've watched and enjoyed Eizouken, A Place Further than the Universe, and most of the Ghiblis.
Gundam Age is the only one i can personally think of, it didn't have a lot of gross stuff, and was mostly kid friendly from what i remember but it been quite a while

crienne

Oct 25, 2017

Shit, was coming in here to say this one.

Ummm, Nichijou? Azumanga Daioh?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I have a $20 copy of Xenoblade 2 I got for Xmas because I enjoyed the first one.

I GUESS I'll play it. Some time before I die.

Watsuki getting forgiven (or rather, they just don't give a damn) was heartbreaking. I was a huge fan of Kenshin. So much I have every episode and movie associated with it before that news was broke. But I'd sooner throw them all in a river before forgiving that man.

Also saw that Renne pin up from Trails. I may have to give up the series after CS4. It was a gift, as well, so I am willed to play it.

So I just read up on what happened and this is "old" news, but what the actual fuck. How do you get to pay 1500€, so basically getting off Scott free, for the possession of child pornographie?

Jun 2, 2019

Yotsubato is a good one

Reminder about cross-thread sniping

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hey y'all,

I get that many see this thread as a safe space, and sometimes we want to vent and whatnot.

But this cross-thread sniping has to stop. It's one thing to complain about trolls or dismissive behaviour (though we'd prefer if you reported them instead of retreating in another thread to complain, honestly), but snide commentary at people who just want to talk about games you don't like is really not cool. Please don't do this.

Thanks.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hey y'all,

I get that many see this thread as a safe space, and sometimes we want to vent and whatnot.

But this cross-thread sniping has to stop. It's one thing to complain about trolls or dismissive behaviour (though we'd prefer if you reported them instead of retreating in another thread to complain, honestly), but snide commentary at people who just want to talk about games you don't like is really not cool. Please don't do this.

Thanks.

100% support this reminder. Though at the same time what I wouldn't give for an echo chamber Discord server where we can vent without issue cause lord, sometimes you just need to vent in a way that we can't here due to the TOS.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

Maybe look at something like Yurucamp?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
shinespark I think a better topic for that discussion (and a LOT of good recomendations) would be on this other thread:
www.resetera.com

Feminist Discussion of Anime and Manga |OT| Not your waifu OT

This is largely going to be a thread where people can discuss feminist theory of anime and manga as well as recommend ones that you believe show positive feminism. First let's briefly go over feminist theory. What is Feminist Theory? Feminist theory covers a broad range of topics, but for this...

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Nichijou is an easy recommendation. Great comedy.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Ummm, Nichijou? Azumanga Daioh?
Yotsubato is a good one
Maybe look at something like Yurucamp?
Nichijou is an easy recommendation. Great comedy.

I'll check all these out, thanks!

shinespark I think a better topic for that discussion (and a LOT of good recomendations) would be on this other thread:
www.resetera.com

Feminist Discussion of Anime and Manga |OT| Not your waifu OT

This is largely going to be a thread where people can discuss feminist theory of anime and manga as well as recommend ones that you believe show positive feminism. First let's briefly go over feminist theory. What is Feminist Theory? Feminist theory covers a broad range of topics, but for this...

Oh cool, didn't know this thread existed. Thanks!