• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Not to take away from the conversation happening, but I wanted to shout out some of the new cards added to Legends of Runeterra (from a new desert region).

The card game's got great art and most cards generally have good designs.

These are some really nice designs.

I was taken aback for a moment by the last one. With all the tragic, violent thrusts that most games have, it's kind of odd to see a happy looking black couple.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite been havin some hits lately
unknown.png

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
Bayonetta's perpetual male gaze seems inevitable when you remember that the man in charge of all cutscenes & cinematics at Platinum got his start with PN03
I completely disagree.. Bayonetta is straight up sexualized, fetishisized portrayal of women. I mean, sexy librarian lady (don't forget glasses too) in leather tights making suggestive poses, and the camera is just all up in her business. I find it quite easily one of the worst offenders out there. Being confident is one thing, but substituting hyper sexualized male fantasy of what confident women look like is bad cringe in my opinion.

Highly highly & strongly agreed with you two here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's super interesting. For the longest time, Bayo was held up as a good example of a sexualized char every where I turned (specifically among women; don't care what other guys think regarding that).

With that no longer being the case, is it possible at all to have a good char that is also sexualized? Does one currently exist?

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
fwiw that Twitter user and person who runs the site is a white guy living in America. Not all articles are written by him, as the one linked to isn't. And it's not to say articles can't be well researched or provide its own perspective. Or that it can't be well intentioned. But it does kinda run up against a similar issue of a white westerners dictating conversations about another culture. I dunno. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing or just a thing is up to the audience. Can only speak for myself, but I try to listen to a variety of voices and perspectives so I'm fine with it. If there's disappointment, it's that some voices tend to be louder than others. That's a larger systemic issue I can't even begin to touch on.

yeah for sure, it's less for their own take and more for the anecdotal experiences they offer with direct photos/articles in addition to their own experiences working there.

my experience, people that move to Japan tend to offer anecdotal experiences through a lens of someone that's always wanted to live in Japan since they saw anime in highschool. This person's experiences sound far more closer to reality than those others. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I also tend to walk a way from their website with a 🤔 hmmm, I see, reaction.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
That's super interesting. For the longest time, Bayo was held up as a good example of a sexualized char every where I turned (specifically among women; don't care what other guys think regarding that).

With that no longer being the case, is it possible at all to have a good char that is also sexualized? Does one currently exist?
I haven't played fortnite but some of the artwork and cutscenes look like the women are confident, sexy, smart and know their stuff. It also feels like I wont feel like I'm a pervert watching a peepshow while playing it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I probably won't have the best words to say what I want to say about this matter, so I'll do the best I can. *GULPS & SIGH* Here we go!

As a lady, I highly look up to Bayonetta with all of her high levels of confidence, and self esteem. I love the way she owns who she is/herself. The way she flaunts not just her looks, but her personality is completely stellar to me in that she's become a role model to me in how I can/should/am/will embrace myself, and try to carry myself out the way she does, or at least similarly to her. I have a very... sisterly? bond with Bayonetta personally, it's like I see her in the lens of a older sister/bigger sister for me while simultaneously seeing her as a best/close/kindred friend. Whenever I play Bayonetta games, I always say to myself "Ladies day/night only! Where we do girly things and kick butt!". I love that she has dark hair like me and she wears glasses like me too! Also the double edge sword of irony here is that she is mostly covered up (well in her default outfit, and similar outfits to her default), even though all her outfits (that are funnily enough, her own hair somehow made into her own clothing) are skin tight/vacuumed sealed onto her skin. Meanwhile I feel a kind of connection to Bayonetta, it was very suffocating to see all the male gazey things going on in her games with the camera angles (when she would do those obscene poses/attack poses that the camera blatantly pans over to focus on such times, and among other things), and certain cut scenes (like the one where she and Luka were in the helicopter there was a rain drop going into her boob window cleavage for Luka to ogle who is suppose to mirror/reflect the male audience, and among other things), and of course outfitting her in questionable fetish costumes. I've grown to get use to what she does and what her powers do that take into factor of what she does, so I'm just at a weird acceptance of it since it really just adds up to who she is, however I wish the male gaze non sense would stop. I just wish that Bayonetta was moreorless the "one and done" sexual/sexualized female character, and that all other female characters from all other video games can stop with the sexualization/objectification/waifuization.

I also think it's worth noting that there was this particular cut scene where she mentions she's not interested in having children but she is rather into "the process of making children". The quote goes as: "Come now Cheshire. Look at me. Do I look like I have any interest in children? Now making them... Well, that's another story."... It would be really nice and cool to see her bed with characters in her game. I mean, back when I heard about Bayonetta and her sexuality, I was really hoping she would actually be in bed with characters, but it turns out she's having this endless waltz with herself as her sexuality, which I mean is okay and all, but I was just wishing for that to happen. I say this because I'm tired of the double standards/hypocrisy that characters like old school Kratos from od of War, and Geralt from Witcher can do these exact things in their games, but Bayonetta cannot??? All so she can be shown available for explicitly the male audience for the sake of waifuism/waifu baiting??? That's just bull to me. This would have been a tactful way of showcasing Bayonetta of who she is in her own game as part of her sexuality owning, but nope.
That's the tricky thing right, about a sexual character like Bayonetta which should be fine but then the sexualisation is unfortunately also attached which can at times undermine that. If James Bond, Kratos, Leisure Suit Larry, Geralt, and other male sexual characters can exist without sexualisation or objectification, why not female sexual characters? Surprisingly there are very few female sexual protagonists outside of RPGs like Bioware games, Assassin's Creed, or Cyberpunk 2077. There is just Cate Archer who can be sexual but isn't objectified, which is why I'm still wishing Monolith or some developer buys the rights back and makes a new NOLF game.
ULySeZjZRu_5GZkRTwIiI_uV6HPTzpn0jzpM81wYjbWDLPZualZifx9tfDDo4v2PN-Ph8gB-r95cb0_cspCdE6WoS50hgdGFrgISTI0E-lsE0rsVlA4MeL3jgltqUc2kTzsNuk4P1NWAEWwVP8_nxm7jQrs_rWSkmnHaA53kx0OSP-BitrF7

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
That's the tricky thing right, about a sexual character like Bayonetta which should be fine but then the sexualisation is unfortunately also attached which can at times undermine that. If James Bond, Kratos, Leisure Suit Larry, Geralt, and other male sexual characters can exist without sexualisation or objectification, why not female sexual characters? Surprisingly there are very few female sexual protagonists outside of RPGs like Bioware games, Assassin's Creed, or Cyberpunk 2077. There is just Cate Archer who can be sexual but isn't objectified, which is why I'm still wishing Monolith or some developer buys the rights back and makes a new NOLF game.
ULySeZjZRu_5GZkRTwIiI_uV6HPTzpn0jzpM81wYjbWDLPZualZifx9tfDDo4v2PN-Ph8gB-r95cb0_cspCdE6WoS50hgdGFrgISTI0E-lsE0rsVlA4MeL3jgltqUc2kTzsNuk4P1NWAEWwVP8_nxm7jQrs_rWSkmnHaA53kx0OSP-BitrF7
I want a new NOLF game, I love this series! Plus having more female leads in FPS games would be a plus.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy

That's a difficult question to answer because while it's "easy" to define what constitutes being sexualized, once it's agreed on that a character is a sexualized one to then come to an agreement over how much sexualization is acceptable, which kind of sexualization is empowering, what were the intentions of the creators and most importantly how women feel about said sexualization is much more difficult since it's a subjective thing at the end of the day.

It makes sense that whenever you asked for a character that was sexualized in the "correct" way many answered Bayonetta, since I too believe she is a good attempt at it.
It doesn't mean everyone is gonna agree with it, as others already demonstrated.

To answer your question, I do believe it's possible to have a good char that is also sexualized, and one may very well exist. What is impossible IMHO is having everyone agree on it. You could ask 1000 women to divide the 100 most popular female characters in gaming in two folders: the ones that they find sexist, and the ones that they do not and it would be an half-miracle if two women came up with the same list.

It's the fun thing with not being a hivemind, everyone has different ideas. Bayonetta is widely regarded as "less bad" than others and you will find people calling her the most sexist character they ever saw.
On the other hand Pyra is widely regarded as one of the worst examples and yet you are sure to find women who will defend her to the bitter end in good faith, while also finding other characters (like Bayonetta) to be problematic.

Do you remember in the previous thread people linked the article about that woman who bonded with freaking Ivy Valentine and found her empowering and will now always love the character?
She is bound to answer that Ivy is the good kind of sexualized character you are asking for, but many would disagree. And you know what? VALID!

The only answer is that there is a different answer fore every person on the planet.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Love this series and the protagonist.

Also conversation reminds me of Perfect Dark. They had a pretty badass character in Joanna Dark but the sequel tried to make her more sexualized.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Love this series and the protagonist.

Also conversation reminds me of Perfect Dark. They had a pretty badass character in Joanna Dark but the sequel tried to make her more sexualized.
And now we got a new Perfect Dark coming on XSX so I wonder how her design will be. Going by the concept art it seems fine.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I mean it doesn't seem like there is really a consensus about her either way.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
And now we got a new Perfect Dark coming on XSX so I wonder how her design will be. Going by the concept art it seems fine.
I'm looking at some of the earlier promo pics from Perfect Dark Zero and...yikes.

image_perfect_dark_zero-2309-771_0001.jpg

image_perfect_dark_zero-2309-771_0002.jpg

www.gamersyde.com

Rare released these 15 artworks and images of Perfect Dark Zero. Some have already been seen before, but I'm quite sure at least a few of them are brand new.

Rare released these 15 artworks and images of Perfect Dark Zero. Some have already been seen before, but I'm quite sure at least a few of them are brand new.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at some of the earlier promo pics from Perfect Dark Zero and...yikes.

www.gamersyde.com

Yeah, it seems Rare didn't mind trying to sex her up for some reason. I bet it won't really be there in the new game mostly likely.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played fortnite but some of the artwork and cutscenes look like the women are confident, sexy, smart and know their stuff. It also feels like I wont feel like I'm a pervert watching a peepshow while playing it.

It's funny, as someone just posted an example of a Fortnite char as oversexualized in this thread, which leads me to think...

That's a difficult question to answer because while it's "easy" to define what constitutes being sexualized, once it's agreed on that a character is a sexualized one to then come to an agreement over how much sexualization is acceptable, which kind of sexualization is empowering, what were the intentions of the creators and most importantly how women feel about said sexualization is much more difficult since it's a subjective thing at the end of the day.

It makes sense that whenever you asked for a character that was sexualized in the "correct" way many answered Bayonetta, since I too believe she is a good attempt at it.
It doesn't mean everyone is gonna agree with it, as others already demonstrated.

To answer your question, I do believe it's possible to have a good char that is also sexualized, and one may very well exist. What is impossible IMHO is having everyone agree on it. You could ask 1000 women to divide the 100 most popular female characters in gaming in two folders: the ones that they find sexist, and the ones that they do not and it would be an half-miracle if two women came up with the same list.

It's the fun thing with not being a hivemind, everyone has different ideas. Bayonetta is widely regarded as "less bad" than others and you will find people calling her the most sexist character they ever saw.
On the other hand Pyra is widely regarded as one of the worst examples and yet you are sure to find women who will defend her to the bitter end in good faith, while also finding other characters (like Bayonetta) to be problematic.

Do you remember in the previous thread people linked the article about that woman who bonded with freaking Ivy Valentine and found her empowering and will now always love the character?
She is bound to answer that Ivy is the good kind of sexualized character you are asking for, but many would disagree. And you know what? VALID!

The only answer is that there is a different answer fore every person on the planet.

...that this is correct. It's obviously still tough, because it would be nice to have one solid example, but as you say, women are not a hivemind. I've seen a number of women super hyped about Pyra, and women who thought Pyra was a gross addition. And then one person who was in-between - she made a post about her experiences in the gaming community, but then commented the issue is how people treat real women after (it is a good insight into the gross shit women experience, and I can link it on request). But in the end...

I mean it doesn't seem like there is really a consensus about her either way.

...I think y'all are right here. But then again, because women are not a hivemind on this subject, I guess it's easier to just point to the worst examples of sexualization. Like, after this conversation, I realize maybe I just shouldn't have an opinion on Bayo.

But, I suppose the goal is ultimately to diversify designs - not to remove sexualized designs entirely. Though we have a lot of designs to go before we have made up for the current designs of women in games, I suppose.

This is all good info/feedback.

EDIT: Wait, has it only been guys saying Bayo's design is bad so far in here? That may change my perspective a bit.

Last edited:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree.. Bayonetta is straight up sexualized, fetishisized portrayal of women. I mean, sexy librarian lady (don't forget glasses too) in leather tights making suggestive poses, and the camera is just all up in her business. I find it quite easily one of the worst offenders out there. Being confident is one thing, but substituting hyper sexualized male fantasy of what confident women look like is bad cringe in my opinion.
I mean, like I said I haven't played the games and it sounds like the camera is crazy awful with her--and I am certainly in no way trying to say she isn't without problem, but the question was why Bayonetta's design wasn't seen as problematic as Mythra's and Prya's. Bayo's been brought up in these threads several times over the years--most of my osmosis about her is actually through here, and just the impression I get is yeah she is sexualized but it's a lot easier to accept because her character seems to take that sexualization by the horns and directs it (camera angles aside, apparently). And if you feel like her design alone is just as bad as Mythra's/Pyra's then.. idk, guess it's just a matter of opinion. I look at Mythra and Pyra and notice 840324930 different compounded little details of stereotypical sexualization that make my lips curl and I feel disgusted and just devalued as a woman by their designs alone, vs I look at some of the crazily posed official renders of Bayonetta on google and I think she looks stupid but also kinda cool and I don't feel bad by it. Instead, I actually kinda wanna know more, and I can tell you literally no other sexualized female character from a video game I can think of has ever made me feel like that--like I wanna know more about them based on how they look instead of running away screaming. There's just something about her design and the personality she exudes that hits different.

Of course, maybe if/when I finally get around to playing the games I'll walk away from them completely hating it and her. But at the very least she reads super different to something like Mythra/Pyra from an outside perspective. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vermillion With Bayonetta, there are a lot of women who do find her empowering and liberating, even if many like myself also acknowledge the skeeviness of the camera and other issues. So I don't think Bayonetta is a character/design that simply sucks and has no redeeming qualities and is rather more nuanced. That's not to say someone can't disagree, especially other women, but as a man weighing in I think that's something at least worth bearing in mind.

Speaking more generally I have always seen this thread as a safe space for women first and foremost so I think male members listening more than taking charge of conversations is best.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Personally I've always found myself really uncomfortable with the takes of 2omg look how feminist Bayonetta is". The male gaze-ness throughout the games and videos I've seen make me really uncomfortable, same as with the design. I like her personality and her as a character but.. yeah.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vermillion With Bayonetta, there are a lot of women who do find her empowering and liberating, even if many like myself also acknowledge the skeeviness of the camera and other issues. So I don't think Bayonetta is a character/design that simply sucks and has no redeeming qualities and is rather more nuanced. That's not to say someone can't disagree, especially other women, but as a man weighing in I think that's something at least worth bearing in mind.

Speaking more generally I have always seen this thread as a safe space for women first and foremost so I think male members listening more than taking charge of conversations is best.

Yeah, this tracks. Thank you for the response!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It's not out of nowhere, I've been ruminating on this for several months, so if you're uncomfortable for 1 day it doesn't compare. As evidenced by the defensiveness, anything more passionate than walking on eggshells is characterised as thread assassination. It's a simplistic view of the situation to say people are being attacked. People are being asked to consider the weight of their words, both intentional and unintentional.
I mostly lurk and make the odd post in here but just want to say I agree with a lot of what you've been saying.

I'm a little disappointed actually that people in this thread who post to gain equal terms for a group mistreated were in some cases so quick to get defensive/dismissive rather than give themselves self reflection.

I literally come here as a heterosexual white male for that reason to try and improve myself and gain better understanding of different groups and positions I may not have noticed before because of the side of the river I'm on.

Apologies if this is poorly worded. Though English is my first language I'm not as articulate in putting my thoughts into words as some posters here are.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times

YES! Precisely it! Let's have female protagonists/main characters/characters be sexual, but not sexualized/objectified/waifuized!

But, I suppose the goal is ultimately to diversify designs - not to remove sexualized designs entirely. Though we have a lot of designs to go before we have made up for the current designs of women in games, I suppose.

Oh ho ho ho, I mean, at the current rate and ratio of female characters and their severe poorly portrayal/representation/etc, I would like a complete removal of sexualized/objectified/waifuized character designs and narratives. Oh and, I won't be meeting no man/guy consumerist in some middle grounds "compromise" of my own gender/sex, as it's suppose to be for me, and all my fellow lady sisters to feel happy with, good with, empowering with, etc.

Personally I've always found myself really uncomfortable with the takes of 2omg look how feminist Bayonetta is". The male gaze-ness throughout the games and videos I've seen make me really uncomfortable, same as with the design. I like her personality and her as a character but.. yeah.

Yup! I can definitely understand you here, and agree with you. I'm right there with you!

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

bayonetta only 'works' if she was a real person choosing to act the way she does. As it is, the game knows and acknowledges the male gaze and just makes a character that totally provides and people fill in the rest to sugar coat it.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
bayonetta only 'works' if she was a real person choosing to act the way she does. As it is, the game knows and acknowledges the male gaze and just makes a character that totally provides and people fill in the rest to sugar coat it.

youre 100% right, but I think they do a good job characterizing her in the game that people make a genuine positive connection with her design and style of aesthetic.Which is what separates her from other characters that are ALSO sexually objectified.

If women are feeling positive about her I think that's good, assuming they can handle the criticism of her as well.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ho ho ho, I mean, at the current rate and ratio of female characters and their severe poorly portrayal/representation/etc, I would like a complete removal of sexualized/objectified/waifuized character designs and narratives. Oh and, I won't be meeting no man/guy consumerist in some middle grounds "compromise" of my own gender/sex, as it's suppose to be for me, and all my fellow lady sisters to feel happy with, good with, empowering with, etc.

Very next sentence in the quote! But I get ya

EDIT: I'll add, thank you for weighing in re: Bayo. Seems very much more complex than I originally believed, but it's good to know that too.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, like I said I haven't played the games and it sounds like the camera is crazy awful with her--and I am certainly in no way trying to say she isn't without problem, but the question was why Bayonetta's design wasn't seen as problematic as Mythra's and Prya's. Bayo's been brought up in these threads several times over the years--most of my osmosis about her is actually through here, and just the impression I get is yeah she is sexualized but it's a lot easier to accept because her character seems to take that sexualization by the horns and directs it (camera angles aside, apparently). And if you feel like her design alone is just as bad as Mythra's/Pyra's then.. idk, guess it's just a matter of opinion. I look at Mythra and Pyra and notice 840324930 different compounded little details of stereotypical sexualization that make my lips curl and I feel disgusted and just devalued as a woman by their designs alone, vs I look at some of the crazily posed official renders of Bayonetta on google and I think she looks stupid but also kinda cool and I don't feel bad by it. Instead, I actually kinda wanna know more, and I can tell you literally no other sexualized female character from a video game I can think of has ever made me feel like that--like I wanna know more about them based on how they look instead of running away screaming. There's just something about her design and the personality she exudes that hits different.

Of course, maybe if/when I finally get around to playing the games I'll walk away from them completely hating it and her. But at the very least she reads super different to something like Mythra/Pyra from an outside perspective. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah.

The biggest difference for me is Bayonetta doesn't get infantilized like Pyra or Mythra. She's not treated as a waifu to romance in game either.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly lurk and make the odd post in here but just want to say I agree with a lot of what you've been saying.

I'm a little disappointed actually that people in this thread who post to gain equal terms for a group mistreated were in some cases so quick to get defensive/dismissive rather than give themselves self reflection.

I literally come here as a heterosexual white male for that reason to try and improve myself and gain better understanding of different groups and positions I may not have noticed before because of the side of the river I'm on.

Apologies if this is poorly worded. Though English is my first language I'm not as articulate in putting my thoughts into words as some posters here are.
I'm just quoting you because I'm on the same page here. I mostly lurk (actually, I don't think I've posted in this thread at all yet, but I did make a few posts in the first OT), and as I was catching up with the last 10 or so pages (whenever the Pyra discussion started), it was getting more and more uncomfortable. Although kaebie is right that the thread in both iterations has always had a problem with the way people discuss Japan especially in regards to "progressivism", and she was 100% absolutely correct to call it out. It makes me feel sad that she basically got run out of this thread for actually speaking out about it.

I don't have a problem with you pointing out that people should be considerate with their words. What I do have problem with is your combative tone when you came talking about this. Even right now (intentional or not) you're responding with me kind of like = tough luck, DEAL WITH IT. And how it doesn't compare to you. The only reason that I am focusing on this is that I thought we were in this together. If there were members going out of line here, why did you hold back all this time? I'm sure we could have discussed this with every respect that we all deserve. I feel that you are treating the women and other minority here as if we are like the white males who don't care about you. And that hurts me more personally.

That's all. I just want you to understand my perspective. Anyway, it's really not my intention to single you out. I'm really sorry if I went too far.
I really hope you've had time to think about this response and how bad it comes across. Non-Asian members' feelings of discomfort for having to examine the way they speak about Asian countries are in no way equatable to the absolute shit AsianEra sees on a daily basis on this site. And if you really want this thread to be a place for all of us to come together, you should be happy to examine yourself and course correct to make it a more welcoming place for everyone and not just a comfortable place for anyone to spout whatever they want as long as they are a woman.

Edit: sent you a PM to respect your wishes of not dragging this out in the thread, but I just wanted to apologize for making assumptions here as well.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I bash on anime games a lot, I think I'm careful about how I phrase things but I'm not completely sure, its entirely possible I may have phrased things in a way that was bad or hurtful in the past and if I have I'm sorry for that. Even if I haven't, I am definitely guilty of sitting back and not even noticing the problem as people posted sweeping generalizations about Japan. Complacency.

The defensiveness of several posters was really disappointing to see. The last couple pages of this thread have read a lot like the way past larger era threads on sexualization have gone. Like when people voiced discomfort in the Resident Evil Village lady thread, and all the sudden rush of defensive shitty posts about how they weren't doing anything wrong. That kind of shit we all hate and dunk on when it happens regarding women's issues, we shouldn't immediately become those people when Kaebi posts a good faith critique of our thread's behavior.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This one from a game I'm super excited about. I see some people in the comments suggesting the armors for women haven't always been this way - but I wouldn't know as I don't play as a woman in MH.

Still, they're loving that thigh window this time around

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This one from a game I'm super excited about. I see some people in the comments suggesting the armors for women haven't always been this way - but I wouldn't know as I don't play as a woman in MH.

Still, they're loving that thigh window this time around

Here's some examples of robotic inspired armor from past games.

296cc08fa0e189c66fc90bdacc15296e.png

(The one on the right is the female set)

MH has never been great when it comes to female armor sets, but based on what they've shown Rise looks like one of the worst yet. Though at least the flagship's armor set isn't literal bikini armor like Nergigante in World?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

I hear you.

I also wanted to point out that if anyone is feeling empowered by Bayo, more power to them. That is inherently a good thing. I also understand that lot of women and girls are body-conscious and Bayonetta being DGAF mode is very exciting and a strong role model to consider. Her personality is actually decent.

What I take issue with however is, as a guy, the overt-sexualization of the Bayonetta to me comes from not a place of feminism or empowerment. Her person and agency seems to have been substituted for a guy's idea of sexy witch librarian lady. Does Bayo kick ass and take names? He'll yes she does. But she could have done that without moves like this

2302b364bb1a401e47f2240a65d7386f.gif

Or this

5b8de1ac4859e93e2f0a019b6cdd504b.gif

There is...I shouldn't say "no need" for her dance moves, but rather I find the argument that she is not hyper sexualized for male fantasy NOT hold much weight. There are other sexy poses, some leaning into pole dancing. Which is fine in a specific context. But I dont see that context here. As an aside, Blaze Fielding from SoR4 is also very sexualized in her appearance: miniskirt, bra+crop top jacket. However, she works as a dance-instructor according to the lore, and her moves in the game do not evoke sexual imagery at all. But at the same time, her idle animation has her fluffing her hair back. That to me is a good example of strong character, who is also in tune with her sex appeal.

I also think that there is no right and wrong answer. Some who find Bayo empowering might find Blaze a male fantasy, or vice versa, or none at all or both. I think it's fine too! I apologize if I came off too strong.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Let's take a look at the most popular mobile games, then. I will talk about the ones from China. I am ignoring PUBG mobile because it is a port of a Korean game.

Top 5 Chinese mobile games
First place is Knives Out (荒野行动). You've probably never heard of it because it is a Fortnite-like game that draws most of its revenue from Japan. If you search for images of its costumes, you will find a lot of impractical and fetish outfits for women. But the costumes and hairstyles are gender neutral, so you can put a buff dude in a maid costume and twintails, or put everyone in street clothes.

Second place is Honor of Kings (皇者荣耀). You've probably never heard of it either because it was completely localized--character designs and all--as Arena of Valor outside of China. This is its character roster. It's very much like League of Legends in design philosophy, but the women's faces have more of a pretty CG women out of an Asian game look.

Third place is Speed Drifters (QQ飞车). It's a racing game that sells car parts and clothes for the driver avatar. The vast majority of those are modern street clothes.

(Fourth place is technically Tiao Yi Tao, but that's a stick figure + geometric shapes game, so I am not including it in the ranked list)

Fourth place is Junior Three Kingdoms (少年三国志). It's the first one on the list that has exploitative female character designs everywhere.

Fifth place is Love Nikki-Dress UP Queen (奇迹暖暖). Someone please fire the NA/EU localizer and replace them with the SEA localizer that named it Miracle Nikki. It is a costume crafting game. This is the first one on the list whose art style is distinctly patterned after Japanese animation. Its western fanbase is somewhere around 89% female and 6% nonbinary. The Chinese fanbase is about 74% female.

Top 3 Chinese retail RPGs
Here are the female protagonists of the 3 most popular retail RPGs from China, so we are not working with the Chinese = mobage/MMO stereotype.

This is a game that sold 1.36 million copies, basically in China alone, though it is available in English on Steam.
F472mEN.jpg

wNSyG0p.jpg

GK3xwjg.jpg

Well~ Chinese Wuxia and Senxia outfit are usually like that...

新蜀山劍俠傳
201710241706385640.jpg

仙劍奇俠傳四
20180806162442_32975.png

360_170905113229_1.jpg

456404a9e2.jpg

Chinese%2BPaladin%2B4-3.jpg

古劍奇譚
8-EtJUTAOo3Pa3YUZKcNnheuvXuOHFYNM9I0DCBF6aIlTJkPyAVg0xDo9OYvacxxwMjM_IrXAToFHd4mc88NDRVUIvmiEMXtNCfLXxbajWwuadFa9nOoeyMJ

絕代雙驕
20102231211347420.jpg

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MH has never been great when it comes to female armor sets, but based on what they've shown Rise looks like one of the worst yet. Though at least the flagship's armor set isn't literal bikini armor like Nergigante in World?

Ahhh, I see. So it's Rise-specific in that regard. Well, hopefully the armor designs we haven't seen have more variety.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

It's beginning to annoy me as a lot of the armors are made worse by these decisions.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I really hope you've had time to think about this response and how bad it comes across. Non-Asian members' feelings of discomfort for having to examine the way they speak about Asian countries are in no way equatable to the absolute shit AsianEra sees on a daily basis on this site. And if you really want this thread to be a place for all of us to come together, you should be happy to examine yourself and course correct to make it a more welcoming place for everyone and not just a comfortable place for anyone to spout whatever they want as long as they are a woman.

I wanted to drop this discussion and leave it as it is. Everybody already said their piece and I already apologised to kaebie which she used as an opportunity to have a go at me again before she decided to leave. Despite that I accepted it and I still feel sorry for her. Now you're putting words in my mouth, and again making it about who has it worse. Before I talk more about this. Just to take all doubt away, which I have already mentioned multiply times already, I am happy to examine myself and make the place more welcoming for everyone. It is a good thing to be more specific to avoid unintentional racism. I don't even know why you're telling me this when it should be clear where I stand based on my comments.

Now to get back at this whole comparison between who has it worse, Asians vs non Asians as you mentioned. Do you know what's funny? I'm not even considered western. Heck, I'm not only Arabic but I'm also a Muslim who happens to be a woman! Based on this, I feel that I shouldn't be grouped as one with a western or ignorant perspective or however you want to call it. Secondly, I feel that this who has it worse card is really unnecessary and petty. Can you tell me who has it worse? Does that make me qualified to talk? Do you see how silly this sounds from my perspective?

I belong to one of the most worst treated groups and I am told that I am not accepting and that I don't understand how it feels. Not only do I belong to this group which is rife with racism against, I have also been treated with (physical) abuse by men/family. Also child physical abuse. I damn know well how it feels. I truly believed that anyone who participates in this thread has good intentions and wants what's best for all of us except for those (suicide) trolls that show themselves sometimes. Maybe that's being way too naive and maybe you have your reasons to behave this way (I mean in general whoever holds this opinion and not literally you). I stand by what I said earlier. I fully agree with the message of kaebie and I fully support it. But coming in this thread with the way she did was not the right way. She might have not only unintentionally hurt women who belong here but other minority groups who might have felt attacked or feeling like they are less important. We could have talked about Asian racism in this thread like how we talk about many things endlessly here. This attack with guns blazing attitude is not doing us any good. We make this thread more welcoming by being more mindful of our words AND giving the benefit of the doubt first before we start attacking. That is my point.

Do you now understand why I sound defensive or hurt? Don't make assumptions about me. Don't try to educate me about racism and tell me how I should have had the time to think about it. This sounds insulting and belittling with someone of my background.

Last edited:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you.

I also wanted to point out that if anyone is feeling empowered by Bayo, more power to them. That is inherently a good thing. I also understand that lot of women and girls are body-conscious and Bayonetta being DGAF mode is very exciting and a strong role model to consider. Her personality is actually decent.

What I take issue with however is, as a guy, the overt-sexualization of the Bayonetta to me comes from not a place of feminism or empowerment. Her person and agency seems to have been substituted for a guy's idea of sexy witch librarian lady. Does Bayo kick ass and take names? He'll yes she does. But she could have done that without moves like this

2302b364bb1a401e47f2240a65d7386f.gif

Or this

5b8de1ac4859e93e2f0a019b6cdd504b.gif

There is...I shouldn't say "no need" for her dance moves, but rather I find the argument that she is not hyper sexualized for male fantasy NOT hold much weight. There are other sexy poses, some leaning into pole dancing. Which is fine in a specific context. But I dont see that context here. As an aside, Blaze Fielding from SoR4 is also very sexualized in her appearance: miniskirt, bra+crop top jacket. However, she works as a dance-instructor according to the lore, and her moves in the game do not evoke sexual imagery at all. But at the same time, her idle animation has her fluffing her hair back. That to me is a good example of strong character, who is also in tune with her sex appeal.

I also think that there is no right and wrong answer. Some who find Bayo empowering might find Blaze a male fantasy, or vice versa, or none at all or both. I think it's fine too! I apologize if I came off too strong.
I have no opinion on if Bayonetta is empowering or feminist or not as I haven't played the games. I'm not arguing against anything you're saying, I'm literally just trying to explain why I don't see her design as bad as Pyra/Mythra. I don't have enough context to say anything else. And tbh, I don't feel comfortable trying to argue or discuss this further cuz it's clearly something I don't know enough about since I haven't played it, and I feel like I'm getting a bit pinned into a corner here lol.

Apologies if my opinions on her made anyone uncomfortable, I'm out for now and don't think I'll speak on Bayo again until after I play the games, if I ever do. /w\;;

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still looks good! Is it only the normal skin tone and this one, or does it go the full spectrum?

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
First time thread poster, occasional lurker. He/him cisgender gay man.

I played Bayonetta near the end of my high school years, when I was reaching that age where you start consuming media more critically. I don't really recall why I picked up the game; I think I saw a trailer for it, and while the sexualized elements were apparent, the idea of this badass British glasses-wearing gun-heel witch was just so out there that I felt drawn to picking it up.

(I wasn't out at the time, but my latent gay sensibilities might also have played a role here.)

The character absolutely clicked for me as I played through the game. The sexualization was there, but it was secondary compared to Bayonetta's badassery and the unapologetic femininity. When I reached the ending of the game, I was frankly blown away. To list a few of the story events that framed my perception of Bayonetta as a character:

• Bayonetta channeling her fears and insecurities into strength, and acting as an inspirational figure for herself in the same way that her mother did for her.
  • Bayonetta being misunderstood by the secondary male characters (early Luka, Balder), but admired by the female characters (Jeanne, Cereza).
  • Bayonetta shooting her deranged, abusive father in the head with her mother's lipstick.
  • Bayonetta being saved at the end by Jeanne, and accepting her as a friend/platonic love interest while being politely indifferent towards the male love interest (Luka).
  • The finale of the game being a battle between four female characters who each get badass moments to steal the spotlight, without a man anywhere in sight.

When I finished the game, I actually felt that Bayonetta was one of the most overtly feminist games that I had played, which is not at all what I expected when I first picked it up. This isn't to say that it's an objectively feminist game by any means; as GrandeRampel explained above, everyone is going to have a different perception of Bayonetta. I can only give mine.

It wasn't until a few years later that I stumbled upon this blog post, which helped me to understand how the had beaten the odds and subverted expectations by having a sexualized character portrayed in a feminist way.

Castrating the Straight Male Gaze on Bayonetta (or at least making room for other ones!)
She finally won my heart eluding the trap that almost no female hero in any medium manages to escape: maternal bondage. When Father Balder reveals that the little girl entrusted to Bayonetta is, in fact, herself as a child, all of the tumblers click into place. Protecting Cereza unlocks Bayonetta's capacity to care for herself, not her ability to ensure the futurity of the species by creating a new generation. Her growing affection for the girl is actually directed inward, her combat skills put to use for her own advancement and not that of another. While she does require assistance to survive the endgame, it comes in the form of another Umbra Witch, a female figure with whom she is much more evenly matched intellectually, sexually, and in terms of actual power.

I'd like to pause here for a moment and recognize that none of the above analysis is without problems. The black widow, the inaccessible woman, the oversexed tease, the kickass chick these are all representations that have been used to oppress and objectify. Sexism, racism, and homophobia in the video game industry are serious concerns, and I doubt that the designers of this game had many thoughts about women's lib while making the character models. I don't think this is cause enough to chastise the women who recognize something empowering in her. Bayonetta certainly defied all of my expectations and passed many of the tests I put in place for female game heroes: a brutal, multi-faceted warrior, she ended up on top, single, childless, and with only a female companion to thank for her victory.

To me, Bayonetta 1 is the female version of things like God of War or Serious Sam. It's a celebration of femininity; an unapologetic and unironic power fantasy featuring butterflies, dancing, hair, heels, and lipstick. That's probably not a perspective I would have if I were a straight man, but it's what it gave to me.

In closing, I'll just mention that Bayonetta 2 does not achieve the same delicate balance that Bayonetta 1 did. Bayonetta is a similar character in a vacuum, but the story events and supporting characters frame her in an entirely different light, without the feminine power fantasy or subtle gender commentary of the first game. To me, this just emphasizes how critical the actual game events of Bayonetta 1 are to framing her character, and how unfortunately rare it is to see it pulled off in a way that works. Fingers crossed for Bayonetta 3.

Last edited:

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Something I'm really starting to notice in games:

Men grow more hair and become more muscles when they age.

Women get bigger boobs and shorter skirts.

I noticed this a lot in Trails of Cold Steel 3. It's like, how do you even manage those chests? More importantly, why does everyone have to throw themselves onto Rean as if he was the god of the universe?

Thank god you can't date the kids.

Finally beat it though. It was painful to see the high levels of sexism. I'm not really anticipating it, but the wife got it for xmas to complete the series. I will grit up and make it through to the end.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

www.gamersyde.com

Everything about the Perfect Dark Zero era was ridiculous. Early concept art from 2002:

SAD4is7.jpg

QLHgYMm.jpg

And at one point she looked like this:

BQKtGyE.jpg

And then this was official artwork to promote the game:

xUBBdEB.jpg

dvwpcAd.jpg

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to drop this discussion and leave it as it is. Everybody already said their piece and I already apologised to kaebie which she used as an opportunity to have a go at me again before she decided to leave. Despite that I accepted it and I still feel sorry for her. Now you're putting words in my mouth, and again making it about who has it worse. Before I talk more about this. Just to take all doubt away, which I have already mentioned multiply times already, I am happy to examine myself and make the place more welcoming for everyone. It is a good thing to be more specific to avoid unintentional racism. I don't even know why you're telling me this when it should be clear where I stand based on my comments.

Now to get back at this whole comparison between who has it worse, Asians vs non Asians as you mentioned. Do you know what's funny? I'm not even considered western. Heck, I'm not only Arabic but I'm also a Muslim who happens to be a woman! Based on this, I feel that I shouldn't be grouped as one with a western or ignorant perspective or however you want to call it. Secondly, I feel that this who has it worse card is really unnecessary and petty. Can you tell me who has it worse? Does that make me qualified to talk? Do you see how silly this sounds from my perspective?

I belong to one of the most worst treated groups and I am told that I am not accepting and that I don't understand how it feels. Not only do I belong to this group which is rife with racism against, I have also been treated with (physical) abuse by men/family. Also child physical abuse. I damn know well how it feels. I truly believed that anyone who participates in this thread has good intentions and wants what's best for all of us except for those (suicide) trolls that show themselves sometimes. Maybe that's being way too naive and maybe you have your reasons to behave this way (I mean in general whoever holds this opinion and not literally you). I stand by what I said earlier. I fully agree with the message of kaebie and I fully support it. But coming in this thread with the way she did was not the right way. She might have not only unintentionally hurt women who belong here but other minority groups who might have felt attacked or feeling like they are less important. We could have talked about Asian racism in this thread like how we talk about many things endlessly here. This attack with guns blazing attitude is not doing us any good. We make this thread more welcoming by being more mindful of our words AND giving the benefit of the doubt first before we start attacking. That is my point.

Do you now understand why I sound defensive or hurt? Don't make assumptions about me. Don't try to educate me about racism and tell me how I should have had the time to think about it. This sounds insulting and belittling with someone of my background.

I wasn't done saying my piece actually, people made sure of that. I'm slowly catching up on the Bayonetta talk (good stuff) and feel compelled to make one thing perfectly clear, if it wasn't already: I did not fully leave, I decided to reduce my time on this forum in future due to the users who made me seem out of control, "extreme," or even pitting me against the OP who I have zero ill will towards. I no longer feel comfortable posting frequently alongside those of you, and especially not the multiple people who were banned when they come back. Apologies don't always immediately land, sometimes a person isn't ready to hear it yet so I don't think it's reasonable to scorn me for not making what amounted to a footnote of your comment the focus of my response. You have continued to tone police me in every reply.
It's common when Asian issues are the focus, for people to downplay it with 'Asians are priveleged compared to x' sometimes outright or implied (one comment brought up multiple non-Asian groups in this manner.) Despite the fact that conversations about other groups can take place simultaneously, this shut up and get on the back burner attitude receives very little scrutiny compared to the person bringing up specifically Asian issues. People talking about their own communities issues is NOT linked to similarly persecuted groups feeling like they can't talk for themselves or they "don't matter." It's the opposite, rights talks often gain traction simultaneously and benefit each other as long as the dominant group endeavours to listen.
(1) No matter how cutely or sweetly someone makes their case about a form of bigotry on this forum - even if they sing kumbayah while they're doing it - without fail there will be those who accuse them, as a silencing tactic, of being too angry or divisive on purpose.
(2) We've seen it in this thread frequently, especially OT1, with driveby commenters who refer to the OP's use of swearing for emphasis and biting sarcasm as a 'reason' they will continue disregarding the discussion they weren't having. Those users are rightfully mocked.
As Aerith observed, what I was getting at was the understanding afforded towards frustration at exclusionary things in (2) vs the lack of understanding in (1).
So with all things considered, you may feel your concerns are genuine but they readily appear otherwise due to your fixation on tone rather than message. If I displayed a lack of prudence on the matter, so did you. The last thing I will say to you is that if you can't find it in you to stop characterising my every response as an opportunistic "attack" then at least refrain from talking about me, the damage is done already.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Really enjoying the Selene design from Returnal, we don't see many women in games that don't look really young (even less protagonists)

Returnal-Capa.jpg