• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
On one hand, its good to hear admins review the cleared backlog for stuff like that, on the other hand this makes me think about posts, including a specific one to be honest that I won't call out because I'm sure its bad etiquette to bring up specific moderation, that had no action and knowing that more than a mod or two were on board with signing off on these posts.
Best bet with something like that is to file a ticket I reckon, that way it goes straight to all senior staff who can discretely take a second look.

Last edited:

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
That Lost Ark MMO Isometric thing looks interesting.
8e611f65c6e9da93123b2bd290b63292ce103bc8.jpg

That's... unfortunate but you can change costumes so maybe
MMO Culture said:
Nope. *pulls rip cord*

MoonPhase

Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Europe
I don't know if this was meantioned before, but the whole fiasko about the new FF7 remake designs and aerith in particular was something. Everybody loved her design except Japan. They complaint about her looking too old and called her an "auntie" and "hag". I'm not a fan of the remake in general, but this goes to show how rotten Japan is when it comes to female characters..
490ZJSg.png

left original trailer / right "fan correction"

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this was meantioned before, but the whole fiasko about the new FF7 remake designs and aerith in particular was something. Everybody loved her design except Japan. They complaint about her looking too old and called her an "auntie" and "hag". I'm not a fan of the remake in general, but this goes to show how rotten Japan is when it comes to female characters..
490ZJSg.png

Well, it's not just Japan. When Jill was revealed for RE3 remake, you had people, including even here say her face looked too masculine and did that creepy comparison to her old face. Including the exact distance between her eyes, nose, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's not just Japan. When Jill was revealed for RE3 remake, you had people, including even here say her face looked too masculine and did that creepy comparison to her old face. Including the exact distance between her eyes, nose, etc.
Same with Claire. Heck even Ellie was compared with her younger TLOU 1 model *puke emoji*

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
490ZJSg.png

Wait so that's not even comparing two trailer screens? That's a fan correction?

Some people have too much time.

Wrong thread, lol.

Last edited:

MoonPhase

Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Europe
A lot of times when beloved characters get a new design those things happen. My point was that the Japanese fans only pointed out that she looked "too old".

Same with Claire. Heck even Ellie was compared with her younger TLOU 1 model *puke emoji*
That was just ridiculous. But those people always exist, I guess.

Jill and Claire are literally scans from real models.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
490ZJSg.png

3c01c3fc82cda4279bc22787962338bb.jpg

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
honestly looks like the same pic with a fucked up image ratio lmao. imagine having such a warped perception of women that a perfectly normal ~20-year-old woman looks like a "hag" to you lmao

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully the JP fanartists and merch collectors I've followed were celebrating hard when Aerith was revealed at State of Play, so I only saw that photoshop brought up in order to be ridiculed. I don't know how it went over in circles where she's not already popular, though. FF7 fandom can be really weird and callous about Aerith.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
490ZJSg.png

Well, god forbid a woman look... 20? 23 at most?

MoonPhase

Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Europe

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
honestly looks like the same pic with a fucked up image ratio lmao. imagine having such a warped perception of women that a perfectly normal ~20-year-old woman looks like a "hag" to you lmao
I'm just going to say neither look very good to me but I think that's because when I look at it for a long time it's close to the uncanny valley for me.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People who wanted Aerith to look like that also probably didn't comprehend half of the characters in the original Final Fantasy VII

Outside of Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts Aerith has never been the innocent + pure youthful white mage archetype. Granted those two were very popular and destroyed a few other FF characters, but still. I'm so glad the Remake didn't fall into that hole.

As an aside I found the Jill images that were making the rounds (started on GameFAQs it seems like unless it became a copypasta)

AAZUGMAAAPm0.jpg

AAZUGMAAAPm2.jpg

"Healthy Fertile Skin Glow" is still one of the most uncomfortable sequences of words I've ever seen

MoonPhase

Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Europe
People who wanted Aerith to look like that also probably didn't comprehend half of the characters in the original Final Fantasy VII

Outside of Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts Aerith has never been the innocent + pure youthful white mage archetype. Granted those two were very popular and destroyed a few other FF characters, but still. I'm so glad the Remake didn't fall into that hole.

As an aside I found the Jill images that were making the rounds (started on GameFAQs it seems like unless it became a copypasta)

AAZUGMAAAPm0.jpg

AAZUGMAAAPm2.jpg

"Healthy Fertile Skin Glow" is still one of the most uncomfortable sequences of words I've ever seen
OMG
tenor.gif

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
That Aerith thing just reminds me of that one Twitter thread where an artist vented about how a character she made for a mobile game was changed to be given more childlike features despite obstinately being an adult, and a bunch of people were just like "I don't know what she's talking about, the character doesn't look like a child to me".

Oct 27, 2017
Aerith actually looked like how I thought she would look in better graphics. The fact people complained she isn't doll faced was some weird shit (even though the current model looks anime as heck).
Yea....there are people that call TLOU2 younger Ellie "rat faced". Some people are fucked.
Yeah...

The tone of those posts were beyond creepy.
A lot of times when beloved characters get a new design those things happen. My point was that the Japanese fans only pointed out that she looked "too old".

That was just ridiculous. But those people always exist, I guess.

Jill and Claire are literally scans from real models.
It was really ridiculous. It is like they forgot how girls look irl
I remember someone saying her skin color made her look infertile.

This was an actual comment that I read.
That thread was so embarassing.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Also don't remember if this has been brought up in this thread before but the Kickstarter for Coral Island which is being made by one of our Resetera members is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coralisland/coral-island-reimagining-the-farm-sim-game
It's a farming simulator similar to Stardew Valley that's based on Indonesian culture and also protecting the environment. I brought it up cus the designs for the romance options and villagers are gorgeous and I really love all the varied character designs of different ethnicities especially the female ones.
Oh my, some of those character designs for the ladies are hella cute. 😳 I like how there is both a Yuri and a Lily. Yuri in Japanese literally translates to lily, as in the flower.
490ZJSg.png

WTF, hopefully SE doesn't cave and alter her model for the next game.

Last edited:

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
That Lost Ark MMO Isometric thing looks interesting.
8e611f65c6e9da93123b2bd290b63292ce103bc8.jpg

That's... unfortunate but you can change costumes so maybe

Nope. *pulls rip cord*

IDK this game at all but FFXIV is a good MMO that has plenty of decent options wrt to female armors except when it doesn't and you get a magical skirt forever. I feel conflicted since when I bring up lewd female armor I get tons of replies on how I can wear like the 2-3 pairs of pants and I should shut up.

On the bright side FFXIV has slowly un-locked gendered clothing like bunny suits and wedding dresses so maybe progress?

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
IDK this game at all but FFXIV is a good MMO that has plenty of decent options wrt to female armors except when it doesn't and you get a magical skirt forever. I feel conflicted since when I bring up lewd female armor I get tons of replies on how I can wear like the 2-3 pairs of pants and I should shut up.

On the bright side FFXIV has slowly un-locked gendered clothing like bunny suits and wedding dresses so maybe progress?
I appreciate the recommendation. To be honest, I was interested because of the isometric part rather then the MMO part. Still kind of bummed Reforged turned out the way it did.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Everything I've seen of XIV makes me thing it's better than I would expect (Which itself is great!) but only slightly.

Want to be a cool lion lady? Too bad you get generic sexy bunny girls.
The female Au Ra are much smaller and "cuter" than their male counterparts.
The outfits like you mentioned
etc

I hope whatever the next FF MMO is takes bigger steps forward.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Everything I've seen of XIV makes me thing it's better than I would expect (Which itself is great!) but only slightly.

etc

Even Roegadyn women can't be as muscular as the men. Shit's frustrating. (Though I still love Roegadyn women.)

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

etc

I hear you :(

We're getting the new expansions 6.0 news tonight and I'm hoping they will add the missing gender of the two latest races. I mentioned how the original Au Ra ladies were closer to their male counterparts in a earlier post here with the concept art but it's a lot of missed opportunities...

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The reaction of gamers to extremely attractive women not being sexy enough for them is always really concerning. Like its obviously a problem even if the women were "ugly" or something, but when you get people looking at characters like Jill in re3 or Kitana in MK11 and saying these beautiful women, who were clearly designed to be pretty, aren't attractive enough for them because of some arbitrary stupid reason. That's very concerning.

Also on a different topic, I went to class (virtually) and hung out with friends (virtually) and when I came back the screenshot of Edi I posted in that mass effect thread had gotten quoted a dozen times. The most alerts I've ever had. Glad to have shared the horror to people who didn't notice it at the time or never played the game.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The reaction of gamers to extremely attractive women not being sexy enough for them is always really concerning. Like its obviously a problem even if the women were "ugly" or something, but when you get people looking at characters like Jill in re3 or Kitana in MK11 and saying these beautiful women, who were clearly designed to be pretty, aren't attractive enough for them because of some arbitrary stupid reason. That's very concerning.
Yeah I don't get it either, they both looked perfectly fine to me in those games as well. Gamers can be crazy sometimes!

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of FFXIV, I just got to the part where you join the Scion of the Seventh Dawn and meet their leader...Minfilia. What in the fuck is she wearing? Serves zero purpose and not at all what I expected of a leader of a highly specialized fighting unit to be dressed in. Definitely one of those overdone bad designs from Squeenix.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
There's something I think about a lot. Netherrealm gave MK women less revealing clothing, and gamer chuds reacted with "they're not sexy any more!". They didn't make them any less attractive (hell, they're probably more attractive if anything), just gave them less revealing clothing. In contrast, Nintendo showed Ganondorf as a genuinely horrifying, mummified corpse in the BOTW2 trailer, and Ganondorf fans were just like "he... he just needs some water, then he'll be hot again..."

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Because attraction doesn't actually have anything to do with it, not really. It's that they're losing the power monopoly they held when games were commonly percieved as solely a guy thing. That a female character should be anything other than a object for the presumed straight male gamer is what these people are upset about. These characters are still beautiful, but it's clear their design intention has moved away from catering towards these particular gamer's sexual appetites compared to previous entries, done for the purposes of appealing to female members of the population, and THAT is the real problem in their eyes.

Same with the mass effect thing. Think about it, does removing Miranda's innumerable ass shots REALLY take away from the game experience that much? Well, putting aside that they wouldn't know without playing it, it's not like this means they'll never gaze on her ass. They can do it in game, it will probably still be there for the sex or flirting scenes where it can be argued to be more appropriate, and worse comes to worse, they can always just look up some rule 34. It's utterly incoherent to seriously, authentically argue that her ass shots mean the game has lost anything substantial as a game experience in itself. But this does mean that Bioware understands that gaming has a larger female base in their audience and a general audience that understands feminism better and the general cultural trend has somewhat moved away from the kind of gratuitous male gaze that was commonplace and uncriticized in the 2010's.

So, "Aerith is not beautiful" is just the latest example of that. The examples keep changing, but the crux of the argument is always the same: The problem is women aren't entirely designed for the male gaze anymore. But they can't just say that, because that's fucking pathetic, so they pretend to argue something else. They make up this facade of play acting like they're super upset that they made Tifa mannish because she has some muscles or Aerith old because she looks 20. The argument is a front to pretend they aren't just upset that women are being written as more than objects made for them to oogle anymore.