• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
A bit of a tangent but what are these bunny ear-like hair ribbons I keep seeing in Japanese female character design recently? I don't know what they're called. I'm wondering if it's some fashion trend there, because It's everywhere:

AtelierRyzaCharacter1.jpg

latest

3cc02fb9bf10f2689964ac202544b50c.jpg
If there any cultural aspect of rabbit in east Asia it the the moon rabbit from the little moon craters that form into a rabbit, how rabbits move forward, how rabbit is written in certain character is similar to luck. One major aspect of rabbit that may connect strongly to these characters is being cunning tricksters and pretty genki (high energy).

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it was shared earlier, but I saw this in Celes's colorism thread and felt it would fit well here too. Especially with the "ENLARGE BREASTS" note.

CdPC9Tn.jpg

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Not sure if it was shared earlier, but I saw this in Celes's colorism thread and felt it would fit well here too. Especially with the "ENLARGE BREASTS" note.

CdPC9Tn.jpg
They're so utterly beholden to their tropes, even if they're problematic, as if they're terrified the otaku will reject them for daring to do things differently or get with the times.

Which, sadly, they probably would :/

Feb 24, 2018
Something I've been thinking about lately, what's your opinions about femme fatales in relation with gaming and do you think the trope of the femme fatale is inherently negative?

I admit in general, I have a soft spot of femme fatales in fiction, especially when written by women or not in James Bond like media (only Bond I like is the Dalton movies), especially portrayed in a more positive light. I'm pretty much a shy coward in real life so like the ownership of their bodies and sexuality when done well, the confidence they exude etc and like when they can kickarse.

Gaming though... Something about gaming always feels like it just goes into the most skeevy way of doing Femme fatales, either it's done as an excuse to put them into the most sexualized costumes possible while using the "They want to!" excuse to justify it (fighting games are bad for this like Ivy's infamous costumes) or they have a nasty habit of making their femme fatales brainwashed. The two examples of this that annoy me the most are Jill Valentine in Resident Evil 5 (especially since she hasn't been allowed in games post 5 in the timeline nd got shafted a ton for years after) and Widowmaker from Overwatch, the latter is stated to have been tortured and conditioned to be what she is (which caused the blue skin), both bother me and like what I said before, makes what they dress more skeevy to me.

The two that frustrate me the most are Morrigan from Darkstalkers and Anna WIlliams from Tekken, both are actually my favourite from their series but both make me feel guilty for that because of how it seems both the fandom and the people behind those games have made them more and more sexualized and objectified over the years and what made me liked them in the first place has slowly just been forgotten.

WIth Morrigan, I liked her more dorky nature she had, her character arc about her becoming a capable leader and queen, how she was good natured etc, but all of that seems to been slowly gone just to make her more and more about sex, with the Udon comics taking it to an extreme by making her a called blooded killer (despite the fact the games already established she didn't need to kill people). Anna Williams I like the subversion that the typically "evil" looking sister was actually the nicer of the two, a related to her backstory and genuinely liked her, but she has the same issue of Morrigan (plus Tekken media outside the main games just make her the evil sister anyway). It's frustrating.

I've been working on my game idea the past year which also has a femme fatale, A Croatian Vampire with an Owl motif (specifically the Eurasian scops owl) and I'm wanting to avoid the same issues that I just discussed.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
A traditional Femme Fatale is, I think, kind of always inherently sexist. Noir women were always based on this idea that for a woman to be a threat she has to be dangerous in specifically 'womanly' ways. There's this built in idea that women are not as competent as men at whatever the undertaking is, but they can still be dangerous because they are manipulative deceivers. The Femme Fatale can never get stuff done on her own, its always exclusively by getting men to do things for her.
If you go back and read/watch The Maltese Falcon, Brigid is basically completely fucking useless except that she is considered attractive, and lies to men to get them to do things for her. The one act she does entirely on her own is
shooting Archer
, and she bungles it up so completely that Spade see's through it easily because he's a smart capable man.
This will continue to prove true for a lot of other 'classic' noir films and literature.

That said, it doesn't feel like what you are interested in here is true Femme Fatales. Only the traits of a character who is confident and sexualizes herself. This is always a tricky line because of course the fictional character is never actually making the decision. There is always a writer or designer or whatever making that choice. It certainly helps for it to be a woman writing the character to begin with, as far as giving the benefit of the doubt goes.
The biggest thing for characters like that is that it needs to feel like she was designed outwards and not inwards, you know what I mean? I think quite often it will read through pretty clearly to the intended viewer if the starting point was a sexy drawing concept art someone made, and then they worked backwards to come up with the character they thought they could put into that sexy design.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Something I've been thinking about lately, what's your opinions about femme fatales in relation with gaming and do you think the trope of the femme fatale is inherently negative?

I admit in general, I have a soft spot of femme fatales in fiction, especially when written by women or not in James Bond like media (only Bond I like is the Dalton movies), especially portrayed in a more positive light. I'm pretty much a shy coward in real life so like the ownership of their bodies and sexuality when done well, the confidence they exude etc and like when they can kickarse.

Gaming though... Something about gaming always feels like it just goes into the most skeevy way of doing Femme fatales, either it's done as an excuse to put them into the most sexualized costumes possible while using the "They want to!" excuse to justify it (fighting games are bad for this like Ivy's infamous costumes) or they have a nasty habit of making their femme fatales brainwashed. The two examples of this that annoy me the most are Jill Valentine in Resident Evil 5 (especially since she hasn't been allowed in games post 5 in the timeline nd got shafted a ton for years after) and Widowmaker from Overwatch, the latter is stated to have been tortured and conditioned to be what she is (which caused the blue skin), both bother me and like what I said before, makes what they dress more skeevy to me.

The two that frustrate me the most are Morrigan from Darkstalkers and Anna WIlliams from Tekken, both are actually my favourite from their series but both make me feel guilty for that because of how it seems both the fandom and the people behind those games have made them more and more sexualized and objectified over the years and what made me liked them in the first place has slowly just been forgotten.

WIth Morrigan, I liked her more dorky nature she had, her character arc about her becoming a capable leader and queen, how she was good natured etc, but all of that seems to been slowly gone just to make her more and more about sex, with the Udon comics taking it to an extreme by making her a called blooded killer (despite the fact the games already established she didn't need to kill people). Anna Williams I like the subversion that the typically "evil" looking sister was actually the nicer of the two, a related to her backstory and genuinely liked her, but she has the same issue of Morrigan (plus Tekken media outside the main games just make her the evil sister anyway). It's frustrating.

I've been working on my game idea the past year which also has a femme fatale, A Croatian Vampire with an Owl motif (specifically the Eurasian scops owl) and I'm wanting to avoid the same issues that I just discussed.
I mean, we'll probably never see Morrigan ever again in a dedicated darkstalkers game, that's just...what it is.

But at least in the games, I love how most of her endings are like "alright, it's time to be the goddess vampire, the lady of the night, the succubus supreme......after I go out with the girls, or after I finish bodying this child in video games, or after I go shopping with all my capcom friends". For capcom's most outwardly sex focused character, Morrigan does the least sexy stuff out of most the capcom regalia.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
While I play and like the game I'm in my futile search for any non-male character in Genshin with pants not named Jean who doesn't even wear jeans just skin tight pants

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
While I play and like the game I'm in my futile search for any non-male character in Genshin with pants not named Jean who doesn't even wear jeans just skin tight pants

Whether they are wearing clothing or not is the easiest way to tell the intended gender of any given character in genshin impact, I don't see that changing for a long time sadly.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Belated Happy New Year to my favs in this thread. I was too intoxicated to think of popping in here last night.

On the topic of femme fatale (and adjacent) characters, I mostly like how Capcom handled Ada Wong in Resident Evil 2 (2019). She is pretty competent and saves Leon's ass four times and when she does get damsel'd it's because another woman outsmarts her. Jolene Andersen delivers a good performance and adds as much emotional depth as she can with the material. It's not great that they cast a white woman again. Them keeping the romance between her and Leon still isn't good either along with her outfit not being practical. (Though I am thoroughly lesbian for her look, especially in that trench coat.)

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I've played a number of resident evils and have managed to accidentally completely blindspot Ada I think. Like playing games she isn't in or playing the paths she isn't in.
I think she is a bit in 4 right? But I played that one so long ago I genuinely remember nothing story wise other than rescue the presidents daughter.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I am really curious how they are going to handle Ada and Ashley in the remake of 4. I hope they nix Ashley and just give Ada a proper role, build off the new canon in 2's remake.

I'm in an extreme minority on this opinion I think, but gameplay wise I loved being able to play 5 coop with a friend, even if there was little to like about that game narratively.

Maybe some kind of Ada/Leon coop adventure could be a good time. You could even do it A Way Out style where, while playing coop, you have to branch different paths and have different motives and eventually objectives.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm in an extreme minority on this opinion I think, but gameplay wise I loved being able to play 5 coop with a friend, even if there was little to like about that game narratively.

Maybe some kind of Ada/Leon coop adventure could be a good time. You could even do it A Way Out style where, while playing coop, you have to branch different paths and have different motives and eventually objectives.
They would never do something that risky but a creative idea. (I personally loathe co-op in survival horror.) The most I realistically hope for is Ada having as big of a role as Carlos does in 3's remake.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I've been playing Nier: Automata for the first time and I think I finally get the whole attitude of "I don't approve but at least he's honest about it" towards Yoko Taro. There are definitely some unfortunate designs in there, but so far, I haven't noticed the camera doing anything "male gaze-y" even if the outfits themselves are definitely designed to be leered at. Maybe I'm just not good at reading into things like others are, but it also seems like one of the most low key progressive Japanese games I've played in some time, at least in terms of representation and not shoving its titillation in the player's face.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Nier: Automata for the first time and I think I finally get the whole attitude of "I don't approve but at least he's honest about it" towards Yoko Taro. There are definitely some unfortunate designs in there, but so far, I haven't noticed the camera doing anything "male gaze-y" even if the outfits themselves are definitely designed to be leered at. Maybe I'm just not good at reading into things like others are, but it also seems like one of the most low key progressive Japanese games I've played in some time, at least in terms of representation and not shoving its titillation in the player's face.
Nah, there's plenty of male gaze-y stuff. I mean, one trophy is about taking multiple peeks under 2B's dress

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean, 'not shoving titillation in the players face' by 'only' having the fanservice panty shots as an optional extra in addition to the male-gazey character designs is still a pretty 'low' bar to clear in terms of calling it 'low key progressive'.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There's literally an achievement for leering at 2B's ass repeatedly, after she's moved out of the way to shoo the player's gaze off.

The self-destruct trigger literally just exists to reveal her ass.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're getting harped on for this, and I'm probably just asking for an avatar quote lol, but while I don't necessarily agree with the 'at least he's honest about it' stuff, I actually feel what you mean with the rest of your post. The game absolutely has its issues, what with the exploding clothes and up-skirt trophy to say the least, but ignoring that thankfully optional stuff I never really felt the camera was especially leery during the plot segments. I was constantly like 'oh god here we go' but then it'd never happen.

Nier:A actually felt a lot better to experience in that regard than a bunch of other anime/jrpg games I've played, and things like the operator crushing on a girl was really surprising and refreshing to me, so I understand what you mean by it feeling more progressive than most. Which isn't to say it's perfect or should be considered a gold standard in any way, cuz honestly, like has been brought up, the game has a ton of issues. But it certainly went in a much better direction than I anticipated it would going in.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I spent my automata playthrough fighting the damn camera going in real low while dashing, and 2B's default outfit, while not awful, keeps looking more absurd as the spinoffs turn up the nonsense excuses for everything. It really makes me wish the game had the main characters in not high heels and wearing some kind of pants to go not conflict with the sad themes.

Last edited:

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019

I mean I'm really not trying to pile on you or anything, but my wife started the game up the other day and was treated to the camera practically shoved up 2B's rear and crotch during her introduction to the player. I honestly didn't even remember that during my own playthrough which admittedly was a couple years ago.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

-_-

I don't think any amount of honesty makes the skirt exploding mechanic okay.

Exactly. Being upfront about wanting to objectify women doesn't make it more OK.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. The honesty doesn't make it okay, it just makes him better than Kojima. Its a low bar.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think I played another Automata version I guess. Even making 2B sprint makes the skirt reveal her ass.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Nah, there's plenty of male gaze-y stuff. I mean, one trophy is about taking multiple peeks under 2B's dress
Ohhhhh

Yeah never mind. Either I've been ignorant to the objectification so far or I've just been lucky. Probably both. Sorry if I unintentionally downplayed real issues with the game.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
skyrim? dragon age origins? boob armour. boob armour everywhere.

I agree with the bulk of this post, but as someone who hasn't played those games, I would like to know what you mean by "boob armour." I say this because we're not in medieval times anymore. It makes sense that certain armour would be designed with a feminine physique in mind, rather than patriarchal knights. Codpieces on male armour aren't exactly a rarity in video games.

My first time encountering the term "boob armour" was this tweet, which was cringeworthy because there's nothing remotely sexy or sexual about these designs:

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the bulk of this post, but as someone who hasn't played those games, I would like to know what you mean by "boob armour." I say this because we're not in medieval times anymore. It makes sense that certain armour would be designed with a feminine physique in mind, rather than patriarchal knights. Codpieces on male armour aren't exactly a rarity in video games.

My first time encountering the term "boob armour" was this tweet, which was cringeworthy because there's nothing remotely sexy or sexual about these designs:

Two things:

1. Answering in earnest, the female armor is a very mild case of boob armor. More extreme examples are things like this:
0.jpg

Armor shouldn't be designed with physique in mind, but practicality. In Star Wars it really doesn't matter since blasters and lightsabers don't really care for armor shape. The Mandalorian's costume designer chose to go with a feminine shape of the armor so viewers will know they're looking at women. Visual shorthand is important, sure, but for characters who remove their helmets often enough they really don't need feminine-shaped armor to remind the audience they are, in fact, women.

2. Your first post in this thread is calling out a tweet from Anita and calling it cringe. I suspect your reasoning for coming in here isn't really on the best of faith.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, her point was absolutely valid. It's not super exaggerated armor, but still noticeable. Assuming your post is in good faith, calling an Anita post cringeworthy isn't a good look because it was one of the biggest gamer gater redflags to attack her, just to let you know.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Two things:

1. Answering in earnest, the female armor is a very mild case of boob armor. More extreme examples are things like this:
0.jpg

Armor shouldn't be designed with physique in mind, but practicality. In Star Wars it really doesn't matter since blasters and lightsabers don't really care for armor shape. The Mandalorian's costume designer chose to go with a feminine shape of the armor so viewers will know they're looking at women. Visual shorthand is important, sure, but for characters who remove their helmets often enough they really don't need feminine-shaped armor to remind the audience they are, in fact, women.

2. Your first post in this thread is calling out a tweet from Anita and calling it cringe. I suspect your reasoning for coming in here isn't really on the best of faith.

In all fairness, the armour on that video thumbnail is a lot less subtle than what I had in mind. I believe that fitting armour would fall under practicality, though.

To your second point, I came by this thread while skimming through a few video games-related threads. Most of this I don't object to, despite my skepticism on the boob armour point.

Assuming your post is in good faith, calling an Anita post cringeworthy isn't a good look because it was one of the biggest gamer gater redflags to attack her, just to let you know.

At the same time, I don't think anyone should be immune to criticism on association of being criticised by someone else. It's sort of like saying Hitler disliked green beans, therefore you are not allowed to object to eating green beans (though replace "green beans" with "specific opinion").

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
In all fairness, the armour on that video thumbnail is a lot less subtle than what I had in mind. I believe that fitting armour would fall under practicality, though.
There is nothing practical about boob armour, though. Having individual boob holes in the armour doesn't offer better protection and it's certainly not practical to make either.

Random women in armour IRL:
55976_1635077150439_3530737_o-1.jpg

At the same time, I don't think anyone should be immune to criticism on association of being criticised by someone else. It's sort of like saying Hitler disliked green beans, therefore you are not allowed to object to eating green beans (though replace "green beans" with "specific opinion").
....You might want to use different examples than Hitler to mak your point, because you really come across as a troll right now. Just saying.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
There is nothing practical about boob armour, though. Having individual boob holes in the armour doesn't offer better protection and it's certainly not practical to make either.

....You might want to use different examples than Hitler to mak your point, because you really come across as a troll right now. Just saying.

"Hitler criticised something, therefore you cannot" was an intentionally exaggerated analogy.

To be honest, though, this thread is really suspicious to criticism (even moderate criticism), just based on the few replies I have gotten. Not sure if this has a history of trolling or what, since I haven't been following.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
"Hitler criticised something, therefore you cannot" was an intentionally exaggerated analogy.

To be honest, though, this thread is really suspicious to criticism (even moderate criticism), just based on the few replies I have gotten. Not sure if this has a history of trolling or what, since I haven't been following.
I don't even agree with Anita's tweet and I think those Mandalorian armours are fine, but you came in here ridiculing the very idea of criticizing boob armour, you immediately and deliberately used an Hitler analogy, and after getting called out, you now attack "this thread" and paint yourself as a victim.

Maybe read the room next time or something

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
I don't even agree with Anita's tweet and I think those Mandalorian armours are fine, but you came in here ridiculing the very idea of criticizing boob armour, you immediately and deliberately used an Hitler analogy, and after getting called out, you now attack "this thread" and paint yourself as a victim.

Maybe read the room next time or something

I criticised the tweet (specifically the tweet) and asked what the OP was referring to when they mentioned boob armour for clarification. Someone said you should avoid criticising Anita at all because Gamergaters criticise her and I replied that no one should be immune to criticism by association of being criticised by someone else.

The hyperbole I used was "If Hitler disliked green beans, does that mean no one can dislike that food" (using an example of someone nobody likes). Nothing I have said was disrespectful.

Hyperbole - Wikipedia

That being said, I don't feel like having my every word dissected and I don't get the feeling that viewpoints that waver slightly from the main one are wanted, so I'm out. Cheers.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
I criticised the tweet (specifically the tweet) and asked what the OP was referring to when they mentioned boob armour for clarification. Someone said you should avoid criticising Anita at all because Gamergaters criticise her and I replied that no one should be immune to criticism by association of being criticised by someone else.

The hyperbole I used was "If Hitler disliked green beans, does that mean no one can dislike that food" (using an example of someone nobody likes). Nothing I have said was disrespectful.

Hyperbole - Wikipedia

That being said, I don't feel like having my every word dissected and I don't get the feeling that viewpoints that waver slightly from the main one are wanted, so I'm out. Cheers.

Wow you uh... came into a thread with this particular title and you're now confused as to why your barely disguised dog whistles aren't going over well. Acting the victim isn't the trump card you seem to think it is.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

I respect your perspective, however a costumed character (male or female) need not be represented this way. To be styled in a way that elegantly outlines gender without being gratuitous is still tasteful and entertaining.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very LTTP on this but I wanted to shout out Sayonara Wild Hearts for some really ace designs that looked cool, fresh and never felt exploitative.

BsK7jSG.jpg

*Bunch of useless, derailing stuff*
Wow, you really tried to make this thread all about your victimhood. How brave.

I respect your perspective, however a costumed character (male or female) need not be represented this way. To be styled in a way that elegantly outlines gender without being gratuitous is still tasteful and entertaining.
If there was any semblance of balance in the way that gender is "outlined" in character designs, I could understand this argument but there isn't.

Male characters don't walk around with pieces of armor or clothing that signify their gender. You don't see male characters walking around with raised codpieces or pants that outline their penises. Why do female characters need armor that highlights their breasts? There isn't anything inherently elegant about that sort of design.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I don't get the feeling that viewpoints that waver slightly from the main one are wanted, so I'm out
Nothing screams "good faith" like running away at the mildest of pushback and implying a community is a hivemind that's out to get you.

Male characters don't walk around with pieces of armor or clothing that signify their gender. You don't see male characters walking around with raised codpieces or pants that outline their penises. Why do female characters need armor that highlights their breasts? There isn't anything inherently elegant about that sort of design.
Not to mention it's always the same "signifiers" of gender, like there's only one type of feminine body or that femininity is only expressed through boobs. It's tiresome.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
RYh.gif

Derailers really think after 3 OTs they will be the one to invalidate the need for this topic... I'm begging you to hang it up... get a new gig... please...