• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to restart Warriors Orochi 4 and I was quickly reminded that I'm going to be forced to suffer through the most waifu-bait character made in Warriors history for every crossover game or Samurai Warriors that comes out. Naotora Ii.

She's got some great parts, she's really strong and an amazing martial artists. That outfit though, a few moves in Samurai Warriors 4 even zoom in to her chest that you see visibly bounce. Then you reach her personality. She's the most timid, shy, and apologetic character in the series. She apologizes about every ten seconds most of the time over nothing. She has zero self-esteem and pretty much considers herself useless, ugly, and a disgrace. It's just... awful. She is by far one of the biggest fan favorites though, so she will never leave the spotlight or change.
It always amuses me how they added her son in SW4-2 who looks like this:

Her interactions with him are so damn weird. She looks younger than him.

Someone should study why many games that have a "straight to ps+" feel to it have awesome urban desigsn that all look to belong on the same game
Upfront payment from a big pub (Sony in this case) and has a reasonable transaction system (assume they are do it and it is fair). It always the safe approach with certain games where they need to insure they get a sizeable return so they make the "popular designs" cause it sells well.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to restart Warriors Orochi 4 and I was quickly reminded that I'm going to be forced to suffer through the most waifu-bait character made in Warriors history for every crossover game or Samurai Warriors that comes out. Naotora Ii.

She's got some great parts, she's really strong and an amazing martial artists. That outfit though, a few moves in Samurai Warriors 4 even zoom in to her chest that you see visibly bounce. Then you reach her personality. She's the most timid, shy, and apologetic character in the series. She apologizes about every ten seconds most of the time over nothing. She has zero self-esteem and pretty much considers herself useless, ugly, and a disgrace. It's just... awful. She is by far one of the biggest fan favorites though, so she will never leave the spotlight or change.
What's bad is it's impossible to google image search the actual historical figure (I was expecting like, a contemporary painting or something).

Edit: Hell, you gotta go multiple pages deep just to do do a regular Google of the historical figure. I wonder if Koei has ruined things for people looking up actual Japanese and Chinese medieval history.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing samurai warriors, a bit before I really got into gaming, there was a girl who fought with a ball and cup. It was so absurd and silly that I kind of genuinely loved it.

edit: Found her.

She looks pretty much how I remembered her. I was pretty young at the time, playing the game. I think current day me would probably have been like "why is this character a child with a ball and cup while the men look like warriors with real weapons", but as a kid I just loved how stupid her weapon was.

Last edited:

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Well it used to show Nero from FGO. I guess they refined the searches.

Edit: well she still shows up when you search Nero Claudius.

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
She looks pretty much how I remembered her. I was pretty young at the time, playing the game. I think current day me would probably have been like "why is this character a child with a ball and cup while the men look like warriors with real weapons", but as a kid I just loved how stupid her weapon was.
While several of her DLC costumes are ugh, Oichi is one of several characters in the DW/SW games that has received more clothing in her newer iterations.

Her interactions with him are so damn weird. She looks younger than him.
This is how I feel with Zhang Chunhua and her sons in the latest Dynasty Warrior games.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
What's bad is it's impossible to google image search the actual historical figure (I was expecting like, a contemporary painting or something).

Edit: Hell, you gotta go multiple pages deep just to do do a regular Google of the historical figure. I wonder if Koei has ruined things for people looking up actual Japanese and Chinese medieval history.
For some of the obscurer people involved with the conflicts, it sure as hell is.
Well it used to show Nero from FGO. I guess they refined the searches.

Edit: well she still shows up when you search Nero Claudius.
Yeah, I don't even show Boudica anymore when just looking up that phrase. Guess Google got on top of it.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Again, the "weird" designs are reserved for the Dark Elves (And they still have some great ones). Look how gallant the High Elves are.

tJy5xn8wD4e1CaMsuC5owfJqQqMocpkg2UX-71YF2PE.jpg

e1e0e46d20fcfdd9e33e96b4722d52cf.jpg

eb17f186131eff3d54a8191c3382b9e7.jpg

total_war__warhammer_2___galifrieus_by_telthona_dc29l1f-fullview.jpg

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Shiny boob armor, for when you want your terrible design choice to pop even more. Playing through Divinity Original Sin 2 and some of the clothing for women is dire. I don't know how to feel about some of the outfits for lady elves but at least this is a fantasy world where the elves look unique.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Again, the "weird" designs are reserved for the Dark Elves (And they still have some great ones). Look how gallant the High Elves are.

tJy5xn8wD4e1CaMsuC5owfJqQqMocpkg2UX-71YF2PE.jpg

e1e0e46d20fcfdd9e33e96b4722d52cf.jpg

eb17f186131eff3d54a8191c3382b9e7.jpg

total_war__warhammer_2___galifrieus_by_telthona_dc29l1f-fullview.jpg
Dark Elves in Warhammer are still stuck in the 80s fantasy they were created, from design to writing. In desperate need of an upgrade. Maybe one where their primary leader isn't in a relationship with his mother.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I like the yakuza games a lot, but it is definitely a "how to like problematic things" kind of love I have for the games. I think the Yakuza games tend to handle their women pretty poorly. Almost all of them are damseled, often more than once. It is not uncommon for male characters to be creepy about them and for this to be treated as normal. There are multiple times minigames involving dressing up women to be prettier. Saori in judgement was a really great fun character, and then they had TWO separate scenes where she has to go undercover to be ogled by gross men. Looking at the classes available to the women party members in Yakuza 7 makes me pretty unhappy too.

That said:

I don't see this as that egregious. Like... "I don't like the image of Kiryu beating up women" is a perfectly reasonable thing for a creator to feel about their character. Right? He didn't say women shouldn't have a place in fighting games, just that he was uncomfortable at the idea of having Kiryu fight against them.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Nah it is a bad statement. By saying he's uncomfortable with Kiryu fighting women he's implying he wouldn't be uncomfortable with Kiryu being in a fighting game without female characters. This is a Pence level bad take.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
To me, it sounds like the old chivalry concept of 'gentlemen shouldn't lay hands on women, no matter what.' (Haven't played any Yakuza yet, but I guess that's how Nagoshi wants to portray Kiryu).

Seems nice on the surface (especially since domestic violence is still a big issue), but it also subtly implies women as fragile beings that should be protected by men.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020

You can add a qualifier to the search results. For example, the Baidu search results for 张春华 古画 returns all classical paintings (or contemporary paintings in classical styles because I added "ancient drawings" as a qualifier. Also compare 王昭君 vs 王昭君 古画.

Drakhoran

Jun 7, 2018
Scandinavia
Dark Elves in Warhammer are still stuck in the 80s fantasy they were created, from design to writing. In desperate need of an upgrade. Maybe one where their primary leader isn't in a relationship with his mother.

For the tabletop game they literally destroyed the world and remade it as Age of Sigmar . That should have been an excellent opportunity to update the design of the dark elves, however:

60030212007_DaughtersofKhaineHBENG01.jpg

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
For the tabletop game they literally destroyed the world and remade it as Age of Sigmar . That should have been an excellent opportunity to update the design of the dark elves, however:

60030212007_DaughtersofKhaineHBENG01.jpg
"We added women to the Stormcast Eternals, should we add them to the DrawvesDuardin too?"
"Nah. Fireslayers are a DrawvesDuardin faction of men running around without clothes, right? We'll make an ElfAelf faction of women running around without clothes. That's equality!"
"Brilliant!"

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Are there any games that avoid the common pitfalls for Dark Elves?
The Dunmer of Morrowind are the most well fleshed-out and considered fictional culture of any fantasy world outside of Tolkien, and even then they could probably give some of the Tolkien cultures a run for their money in terms of complexity. The amount of incredible worldbuilding in that game is unreal.

The only sense that they're "dark" elves thematically is that the Elder Scrolls has a pretty strong Elves / Humans dichotomy going on, and the Dunmer traditionally behave more like humans than elves usually do.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Age of Sigmar's Idoneth Deepkin avoid the "being naked" problem of Dark Elves though they probably qualify more as Aqua Elves instead of Dark Elves.

But since they're the Fantasy version of Dark EldarDrukhari and Dark EldarDrukhari are the Sci-fi Dark Elves...

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
So the other day i turned on my Xbox and there was a Game Pass add for Black Desert and the new class being available and hoooo boy:

Black-Desert-Guardian-1.jpg

I'm here in the freezing cold so i better have some fur. What do you mean i should dress appropiately? The fur keeps me warm!

It's a bit old news since the class was revealed quite a while back, sorry if it's already been discussed.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the elder scrolls games don't dress the dark elves up any more scantily than any other race right? I've only played Skyrim but I don't really remember them being different.
Are the dark elves treated as more evil than the other elves still though? I guess morrowind would have been the game that dealt the most with their culture and I never played that one.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
So the other day i turned on my Xbox and there was a Game Pass add for Black Desert and the new class being available and hoooo boy:

Black-Desert-Guardian-1.jpg

I'm here in the freezing cold so i better have some fur. What do you mean i should dress appropiately? The fur keeps me warm!

It's a bit old news since the class was revealed quite a while back, sorry if it's already been discussed.

That's not even the original:
black-desert-online-guardian-profile-1200x675.jpg

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the elder scrolls games don't dress the dark elves up any more scantily than any other race right? I've only played Skyrim but I don't really remember them being different.
Are the dark elves treated as more evil than the other elves still though? I guess morrowind would have been the game that dealt the most with their culture and I never played that one.
Nah, dark elf isn't shorthand for "evil elf" in the elder scrolls. Dunmer culture is also extremely diverse. They don't really have a singular "aspect". You have tribal factions, merchant guilds, religious theocracy, warrior sects. It's a fully fleshed out culture.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Funnily enough, it's actually the High Elves that were the stereotypically evil ones in the Elder Scrolls until some of the recent Online expansions tried to make them a little more fleshed out. It's not universally true of all Altmer individuals you meet in the game, but in Skyrim from what we hear their homeland and leadership are apparently an anti-human fascist dictatorship run by a secret apocalypse-seeking Illuminati that's trying to end the world.

Meanwhile the Dark Elves are poor refugees because the volcano they lived on blew-up.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I remember xenoblade X had some bad sexualized designs, and yeah some of these are bad
latest

latest

I remember most of the female xeno's being like this, with the one exception being the manaan

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
i downloaded genshin impact, largely against my better judgement. how much bullshit should i brace for?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That's not even the original:
black-desert-online-guardian-profile-1200x675.jpg

Ah BDO, another Korean staple of trying really hard to create some interesting looking armor, only to throw out nearly every good idea you came up with after a long night of watching all the Conan movies and opting for bikini armor and candy skirts.

All Korean MMO's are like this.