• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It came out this year right? Hopefully they'll do a patch, especially since they're coming out with DLC for it so soon to PS5's release! I liked the character creator, it's one of the better ones in action rpgs I've seen.

Yeah, it came out earlier this year, and the next DLC chapter will be out AFTER the PS5 is out, presumably.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Anything in Nioh 2 confusing if I skip the first one? I like souls games and Nioh is a very souls gamey game I understand.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
You can completely skip Nioh 1. Both games storyline is incomprehensible gibberish if you aren't already deeply familiar with Japanese history. Thankfully it doesn't matter and you can still hugely enjoy both games whilst ignoring the story.

They are seriously some of the worst narrative experiences in modern gaming.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Cagliostro has a way more appealing visual design than the other women I've seen in granblue.

Nice that the community does it best to be respectful

Eta on someone in the Granblue OT getting banned for trying to be 'clever' and double refer to her mechanics and the slur? Bet it happens within release day.

I don't think so! I think nioh 2 is actually a prequel to nioh 1 if you're wondering about the story.
Cool, glad to hear it. I don't remember why I never played the first one but I'm sure the "only male player character" choice didn't help, there was probably more factors going on. Other games coming out and such like that.

Although it's still confusing regardless. It's story is very much designed for people who know Japanese history.
You can completely skip Nioh 1. Both games storyline is incomprehensible gibberish if you aren't already deeply familiar with Japanese history.

Everything I learned about Japanese history I learned from Samurai Warriors. So I'm sure I'm well versed with very accurate and true history.

Last edited:

Roliq

â–² Legend â–²
Sep 23, 2018
Nice that the community does it best to be respectful

The people in the comments saying that she is not trans is just what??? She literally was born male and now is female and hates being referred to as male, that has to be the most clear-cut case of someone being trans yet there still morons who believe otherwise

Edit: the thing that is stupid though is that the mobile/web game has Ladiva who identifies as a woman being classified in-game as "Other" instead of "Female" which is fucked up

Last edited:

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Although it's still confusing regardless. It's story is very much designed for people who know Japanese history.

Nioh 1's story following William doesnt make any sense besides Namco wanting to try and appeal to western audiences.

However he was too bland and lacked any personality whatsoever, and thankfully learned their lesson with the sequel. (seriously there was no reason for NIOH to be tied to william since the story is an incomprehensible mess and nobody cares)

Its an exploration and celebration of japanese mythology and history and thats about it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh 1's story following William doesnt make any sense besides Namco wanting to try and appeal to western audiences.

However he was too bland and lacked any personality whatsoever, and thankfully learned their lesson with the sequel. (seriously there was no reason for NIOH to be tied to william since the story is an incomprehensible mess and nobody cares)

Its an exploration and celebration of japanese mythology and history and thats about it.

William is the protagonist of Nioh 1 because William was the protagonist of the unfinished Akira Kurosawa script (written obviously before his death so sometime in the 90s or even earlier) that was used as the base of the game when it originally was going to be a multimedia project wherein Kurosawa's son was going to be directing a movie.

So Namco Bandai had nothing to do with William and wish people would stop saying that. That isn't to say nothing was changed but according to them: "The only elements to survive into the final version were the setting, the protagonist being a blonde-haired foreigner, and the basic scenario concept:"

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I knew you had to play as a man in Nioh 1 but I somehow missed out on the fact that it was a white man.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

William is the protagonist of Nioh 1 because William was the protagonist of the unfinished Akira Kurosawa script (written obviously before his death so sometime in the 90s or even earlier) that was used as the base of the game when it originally was going to be a multimedia project wherein Kurosawa's son was going to be directing a movie.

So Namco Bandai had nothing to do with William and wish people would stop saying that. That isn't to say nothing was changed but according to them: "The only elements to survive into the final version were the setting, the protagonist being a blonde-haired foreigner, and the basic scenario concept:"
Nioh = Koei Tecmo, not Bandai Namco.

Wouldn't know anything about the origins of William, but nothing of value lost by letting players just make their own character instead in Nioh 2 either way.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh = Koei Tecmo, not Bandai Namco.

Wouldn't know anything about the origins of William, but nothing of value lost by letting players just make their own character instead in Nioh 2 either way.

Right, them saying Namco for some reason got it in my head lol.

But yes, I do like that they let us create our own character in 2, but it's just weird that people attribute William's existence in 1 to something that isn't true but sounds real enough that they accept it.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I knew you had to play as a man in Nioh 1 but I somehow missed out on the fact that it was a white man.

You can change your player appearence by using the hidden teahouse into any of the other NPC's and DLC characters in the game and play as them, but the story still revolves around william.

It also features Yasuke, which you can change into if you want. Nioh 2 Includes all the skins from Nioh 1 as well so you can customize your own appearance or choose any of the first game or current games NPCs to play as.

maxresdefault.jpg

Right, them saying Namco for some reason got it in my head lol.

But yes, I do like that they let us create our own character in 2, but it's just weird that people attribute William's existence in 1 to something that isn't true but sounds real enough that they accept it.

I've never heard of that being some sort of adaptation of an old Kurosawa script? where was this explained?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
William is loosely based on William Adams, an English sailor who landed in Japan in 1600 and remained there and became samurai. He was made Irish for the game (presumably so the game could use Celtic lore for the guardian spirits stuff) and they invented some story about him pursuing his enemy (also verrry loosely based on Edward Kelley -- basically Edward Kelley turned into an anime villain lol) and seeking the power of magic yokai crystals etc.

I love both games, but the story is frankly rubbish and William is a very dull and one-note protagonist, so yeah, you aren't missing out on any story or characterization by just starting with Nioh 2 haha. Switching to a character creator was the best decision they took for the sequel.
Anything in Nioh 2 confusing if I skip the first one? I like souls games and Nioh is a very souls gamey game I understand.
The story will be confusing either way, but it's not intrusive and easily ignored.

I've never heard of that being some sort of adaptation of an old Kurosawa script? where was this explained?
Wikipedia says:
Nioh began development in 2004 for the PlayStation 3 as part of a multimedia project based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script. The project went through a turbulent and prolonged pre-production period, going through multiple revisions until its final version began development in 2014 for the PS4. The story was based on the life of Western samurai William Adams, though it was embellished with supernatural elements. Development information was sporadic until 2015, when it was reintroduced to the public.
No source, but I do recall reading this on some article or interview at some point.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

This from the games original announcement back in 2004:

www.gamesindustry.biz

Koei Announce Co-Development of Film, Based on Screenplay by Legendary Director Akira Kurosawa

YOKOHAMA, Kanagawa, Japan -- October 28, 2004 -- KOEI Co, Ltd. (Koei), Kou Shibusawa Production, and Kurosawa Productio…

www.ign.com

Kurosawa Comes to PS3 - IGN

Koei announced today that it will develop a next-generation videogame based on Oni, an upcoming film from an otherwise unrealized script by master director Akira Kurosawa. The game, a historical action title based on the film, will be released for the PlayStation 3 some time in 2006.

And also from an interview just before the original released: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-nioh-evolved-from-a-jrpg-to-an-action-game/1100-6443682/

This game was actually announced back in 2004, so it's been in development for quite some time and when you initially announced it, you said that you were working on a script with Akira Kurosawa. I'm curious how much of that original script, how much of that collaboration, still exists within the Nioh that we're seeing right now.

Well, practically, it just crashed, and we started again from square one. You can say that this game is entirely original and independent from that of Kurosawa's unfinished script, yet the basic concept is there and the first blonde samurai, the Sengoku era, the very fundamental elements are still there.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I wish Inti Creates didn't go downhill post Capcom relationship. -_- Blaster Master Zero and the Gunvolt series are good (in terms of game design) but they just have to pander to otaku.

Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the Inti Creates thread - I'm glad that LARPers are being struck down by the mods here.

Maybe the OP of that thread had an idea that could be considered seriously. But as Redcrayon pointed out, they only wanted to raise a stink, not spark meaningful discussion. Probably to get some right-wing grifter to go "LOL LOOK AT WHAT THIS SITE IS SAYING NOW!!"

All they do is mock actual important opinions and reduce the value of such viewpoints. Ugh, just talking about them frustrates me.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the Inti Creates thread - I'm glad that LARPers are being struck down by the mods here.

Maybe the OP of that thread had an idea that could be considered seriously. But as Redcrayon pointed out, they only wanted to raise a stink, not spark meaningful discussion. Probably to get some right-wing grifter to go "LOL LOOK AT WHAT THIS SITE IS SAYING NOW!!"

All they do is mock actual important opinions and reduce the value of such viewpoints. Ugh, just talking about them frustrates me.

You'd think if they wanted to engender some sort of "look at how ludicrous their opinions are" reaction they wouldn't have gone with an image that includes the plant lady with watermelon breasts

Like I'm pretty sure most everyone will agree that one's very inarguably sexualized... At least I hope so

What a poorly thought out troll thread

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Terribly sorry if it's the wrong place to ask, but got thinking recently and can't really think of a single Anime-style game without the nasty stuff continuously on display in this thread. Googling didn't help. Not that I know that many, but could anyone maybe point to at least 1 or 2?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Terribly sorry if it's the wrong place to ask, but got thinking recently and can't really think of a single Anime-style game without the nasty stuff continuously on display in this thread. Googling didn't help. Not that I know that many, but could anyone maybe point to at least 1 or 2?
You mean Japanese-developed games with manga stylings and no sexualisation to the character designs? Sorry for the question, just wanting to make sure I've understood the post correctly.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
You mean Japanese-developed games with manga stylings and no sexualisation to the character designs? Sorry for the question, just wanting to make sure I've understood the post correctly.
Mostly yes, but it doesn't even have to be Japanese-developed. It seems like most stuff in the style is somehow tainted most times. Not just sexualisation, without homophobia, transphobia, ageism of one sort or another.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly yes, but it doesn't even have to be Japanese-developed. It seems like most stuff in the style is somehow tainted most times. Not just sexualisation, without homophobia, transphobia, ageism of one sort or another.
Only games that comes to mind is Pokemon, and I could (most likely) be wrong.

Perhaps Tales of Zestiria too. Ignoring Alisha's design (it isn't good, but not as bad as Velvet) it is one of the few Japanese games that I have played with an implied male gay relationship.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Only games that comes to mind is Pokemon, and I could (most likely) be wrong.
How about Ni No Kuni? Being done with Ghibli, I'd expect it to be tasteful.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Huh, just read some stuff about it regarding my question. It really does seem to be a great example! Thanks!

Perhaps Tales of Zestiria too. Ignoring Alisha's design (it isn't good, but not as bad as Velvet) it is one of the few Japanese games that I have played with an implied male gay relationship.
Just started reading this article and damn is it fascinating. Thanks for this one too!
www.carlysmith.net

Just Guys Being Dudes: Male Intimacy — Carly Smith

Men in popular culture are confined to a few specific roles: the strong, powerful hero, the possibly nerdy underdog, the more effeminate-looking villain, or the father figure. Sometimes there's some overlap, such as the father or husband who is motivated to save his wife or daughter—or to enact reve
Kingdom Hearts is generally fine from a design perspective, besides Aqua's first design, though parts of it can feel misogynistic (Kairi is teased as a combatant throughout countless games and only takes up a weapon in the very final part of DLC). A lot of its problems are more hold-overs from western sexism courtesy of the Disney connections than otaku tendencies, honestly.

Zelda: Spirit Tracks has a very good depiction of Zelda that works against the tired damsel-in-distress trope so many of them fall into

ea6.gif
Damn, I think I'll suffer trying to get into Kingdom Hearts. I know almost nothing about Disney and its characters. Saw that Zelda: Spirit Tracks is a DS title, was bummed, but then saw that it was released on Wii U Virtual Console. And I do have a Wii U... I mean... somewhere. Thanks for these too!

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Kingdom Hearts is generally fine from a design perspective, besides Aqua's first design, though parts of it can feel misogynistic (Kairi is teased as a combatant throughout countless games and only takes up a weapon in the very final part of DLC). A lot of its problems are more hold-overs from western sexism courtesy of the Disney connections than otaku tendencies, honestly.

Zelda: Spirit Tracks has a very good depiction of Zelda that works against the tired damsel-in-distress trope so many of them fall into

ea6.gif

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In response to the question, none of my favourites qualify. None of my favourite games feature really out-there hyper-exagerrated sexualisation - that's a major turn off, and rarely is that coupled with good writing. And I feel some of my favourites are sexualised in a way that's far more equal-opportunities (I've brought up my feelings on Utawarerumono's designs in here before, I like House in Fata Morgana's designs too), but I'm struggling to come up with anything that is truly free of the otaku sensibility, which says a lot about the state of the industry really. I'm very selective about what I play these days - few artstyles appeal.

If we're talking games free of homophobia and transphobia in message though, I'd say both of the above games are pretty fantastic.

ea6.gif
Yet to play KHIII, and had managed to dodge spoilers until this year. My assumption was that about 1/5 of the game, or at least a lot of the final portion would be playable Kairi. How wrong I was. So disappointing.

(And don't worry, I've read about the lack of playable Kairi outside briefly in DLC many times already, so you haven't spoiled me or anything)

Last edited:

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Honestly, I think sexism in Kingdom Hearts stems from Nomura himself more than anything.
Agree. Like there's not much about the female characters in KH that is outright offensive but they're all aggressively bland and all the "nice girl" type so they're not very distinct and very easily sidelined because they aren't written to participate. I think this stems from Nomura's rather limited ability to write women.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

ea6.gif
I sure hope Zelda is playable in BOTW2, or at least, be a major character in the game. It is amusing (and infuriating too) that Zelda is only playable in spinoffs. She is also almost always a plot device and damsel-in-distress instead of an active character that plays an important role in the plot.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I believe Ghibli only did cutscene animation and character designs for Ni no Kuni and they hired the same composer. The story and plot and themes are from Level 5.

But from what I recall, it's a pretty wholesome game. I dunno if I'd recommend it just on the virtue of not having distasteful tropes, it doesn't have a Ghibli vibe despite its looks. Just a chill kid's adventure with little going beneath the veneer.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Kairi isn't even going to be playable in the rhythm game. 😂 She's the "main character" of the game but only acts as the narrator/storyteller. You can't make this shit up.
Yeah, 'female lead as framing device for male lead's story' really isn't a good look. When it was first announced, I was hopeful there was going to be a bait-and-switch and it would be half-rhythm game, half-playable Kairi action, but that's looking unlikely now.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
At least Age of Calamity will help fill in the blanks where Zelda was just being dragged along in the BotW memories, I have pretty high hopes for the finale of the game having her come into her own, too

Kairi isn't even going to be playable in the rhythm game. 😂 She's the "main character" of the game but only acts as the narrator/storyteller. You can't make this shit up.

I'm still (probably foolishly) holding out she's at least unlockable, otherwise it's the most baffling mistep in the series' history, which is really saying something

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope Zelda is playable in BOTW2, or at least, be a major character in the game. It is amusing (and infuriating too) that Zelda is only playable in spinoffs. She is also almost always a plot device and damsel-in-distress instead of an active character that plays an important role in the plot.
Link should be kidnapped at the start of the game or put under some spell, and the big reveal is that you play as Zelda for almost the whole game.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Link should be kidnapped at the start of the game or put under some spell, and the big reveal is that you play as Zelda for almost the whole game.
I do hope that. Or if they insist on having Link still be the playable character, use a gameplay system similar to Prince of Persia 2008 where Zelda is your companion and aids Link in their journey.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Just finished reading the article about "male intimacy" I linked above about the two main characters from the recommended Tales of Zestiria. I know it's not the topic of the thread, so apologies, but man-o-man did I not expect THAT from a JRPG. Actual male security about emotional and physical closeness in a JRPG? No way.

Edit: Thanks again for all the recommendations. I think I'll go with Ni No Kuni. I've discovered that I have it on Steam somehow.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading the article about "male intimacy" I linked about about two main characters from the reccomended Tales of Zestiria. I know it's not the topic of the thread, so apologies, but man-o-man did I not expect THAT from a JRPG. Actual male security about emotional and physical closeness in a JRPG? No way.

Tales of Zestiria gets dragged by a large portion of the fandom but honestly it's my favorite so far just for the Sorey/Mikleo relationship. Sorey in particular is a great example of how you can have a male hero who is genuinely purehearted but not an idiot, a pervert, or preachy.

it's honestly bizarre how Berseria acts as a prequel to it when all of its characters feel a lot more cynical. I get that's what they were probably going for, but it's weird.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, 'female lead as framing device for male lead's story' really isn't a good look. When it was first announced, I was hopeful there was going to be a bait-and-switch and it would be half-rhythm game, half-playable Kairi action, but that's looking unlikely now.
I'm still (probably foolishly) holding out she's at least unlockable, otherwise it's the most baffling mistep in the series' history, which is really saying something
What.

She has to at least be an unlockable character then, right? Thought this game was suppose to be about Kairi.
Nomura dashed hopes last month in interviews with Famitsu and Game Informer. The mobile game's mascot character was the first choice for the storyteller but then he decided on Kairi.