• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Maybe its because i'm a cis het male but I didnt see anything played for laughs when it came to Ladiva in GBF. But since i'm not transgender maybe I shouldn't say anything on that matter since i've seen pros and cons regarding that subject matter. One piece otoh always plays it for laughs and i 100% agree with that and its trash for doing so.
I can testify to this. Based on what I was able to search up, not once was Ladiva ever played up for laughs, nor is she ever misgendered within GBF's world. Even her backstory is rather interesting.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just about to start on the mega thread. Going to be pretty comprehensive so hoping it'll be tied up by this eve. Will pop a link when up when done.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ono was apparently responsible for some of the cheesecake-eyness maybe with him gone. Sonethings will be toned down a tad
Hopefully that ends up being the case.

Next Smash Bros, I hope they at least make Corrin female by default (would love Byleth too) and add another female character, or two. Or more if possible. If Sakurai or Nintendo are looking for lords only, they can pick either Eirika, Celica, Lyn, Edelgard or even Micaiah.
Ideally, Corrin & Byleth should be female by default next time if they return. Hell, they should have made the switch for Corrin in Ultimate.

Fantastic thread, hopefully it helps more people stay informed.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Three houses had a lot of fun women that would be great choices for smash. I loved Hilda and would play the shit out of heavily armored axe wielding Hilda. Finally give us a woman in smash who is a slower bruiser kind of character. I don't get the focus on the main player characters. Robin, Corrine, and Byleth are all pretty boring characters in their original games.

I said something similar in the thread, but I am not an especially online person compared to a lot of the posters here. I really do rely on people around here to keep me informed about this kind of stuff. Your op was fantastically detailed, you did a very good job.

It feels like the lessen of cyberpunk is more coming from CDPR marketing problem and the questionable approach ingame than whatever the story and character interactions will be. I will play the game but certainly now I'll be keep a keen eye on any problem I come across.

While I'm here I want to promote a cool cyberpunk game, Neo Cab.
NSwitchDS_NeoCab_01-7780.jpg

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Ghosts of Tsushima's free multiplayer dlc came out today. It seems really fun but, very disappointing, the classes seem to be hard locked into gender. Its just a real shame to me that the main game had this bad ass woman samurai (Lady Adachi), and you can't play as someone like her in the multiplayer.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Ghosts of Tsushima's free multiplayer dlc came out today. It seems really fun but, very disappointing, the classes seem to be hard locked into gender. Its just a real shame to me that the main game had this bad ass woman samurai (Lady Adachi), and you can't play as someone like her in the multiplayer.
Wow...what? I am going to get it and play it on the PS5 in the future but that's pretty odd.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Three houses had a lot of fun women that would be great choices for smash. I loved Hilda and would play the shit out of heavily armored axe wielding Hilda. Finally give us a woman in smash who is a slower bruiser kind of character. I don't get the focus on the main player characters. Robin, Corrine, and Byleth are all pretty boring characters in their original games.

I said something similar in the thread, but I am not an especially online person compared to a lot of the posters here. I really do rely on people around here to keep me informed about this kind of stuff. Your op was fantastically detailed, you did a very good job.
The problem is that Fire Emblem characters are already so over represented in Smash I think people would have a fit. While they'd be great for future games with trimmed rosters, for now I think there are better choices for DLC.

Like, Terra from FFVI, for instance.

Also: You know how "Sora for Smash" is a meme? I'd love it if instead they added a Keyblade wielding Kairi instead. Would it make sense? No, but it'd be hysterical, and we'd probably get a better cast addition out of it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Smash seems to have a lot of weird internal rules that result in relatively boring picks. Like, we haven't gotten a brand-new Zelda character since Melee, because characters like Impa, Midna, Urbosa etc. are seen as "side/one-off characters" or something.

Really though in general it's a reflection of video gaming history which ultimately means the most important and thus more likely characters are male. Like I'd have loved Alena from Dragon Quest IV over any of the dudes they picked but they had to lean into the main character angle, and Nakoruru would have been way more fun than Terry as an SNK rep.

Plus yeah Edelgard or Hilda or basically anyone other than Byleth would have been better for Three Houses, specifically.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Wow...what? I am going to get it and play it on the PS5 in the future but that's pretty odd.

My understanding is that the classes in the multiplayer are based on the myths in the games lore in single player so that's why the classes are gender locked. Maybe there'll be an expansion DLC that'll change this in the future.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that the classes in the multiplayer are based on the myths in the games lore in single player so that's why the classes are gender locked. Maybe there'll be an expansion DLC that'll change this in the future.
Ah that makes sense, didn't know that. But let's hope for something like that in the future.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
There is always an excuse to restrict the ability to play as women, and the multiplayer storymode never seems to refer to the characters as anything but "the ghosts" so their gender has and would have no effect on any lines of dialogue or anything.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
There is always an excuse to restrict the ability to play as women, and the multiplayer storymode never seems to refer to the characters as anything but "the ghosts" so their gender has and would have no effect on any lines of dialogue or anything.
Hmm, that's interesting. So I'm guessing it's possible then.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that Fire Emblem characters are already so over represented in Smash I think people would have a fit. While they'd be great for future games with trimmed rosters, for now I think there are better choices for DLC.

Like, Terra from FFVI, for instance.

Also: You know how "Sora for Smash" is a meme? I'd love it if instead they added a Keyblade wielding Xion instead. Would it make sense? No, but it'd be hysterical, and we'd probably get a better cast addition out of it.

Fixed.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

Wait do you mean there are only male characters or each class is a specific gender that you can't change?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Wait do you mean there are only male characters or each class is a specific gender that you can't change?

4 classes. Samurai has to be a man, Assassin has to be a man, Ronin has to be a man.
Naturally, the only woman is the fragile ranged bow user.

I like bow and arrows too, in most games and real life. But I found the bow pretty boring in Ghosts so I wasn't especially drawn to the Hunter here in multiplayer.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4 classes. Samurai has to be a man, Assassin has to be a man, Ronin has to be a man.

I like bow and arrows too, in most games and real life. But I found the bow pretty boring in Ghosts so I wasn't especially drawn to the Hunter here in multiplayer.

I honestly figured that the classes were tied to the specific people in the legends established in the base game, but that doesn't excuse the bolded.

It would not have been hard to design this group of characters with an even gender ratio.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

The hell? There's 4 classes and only 1 is a woman?

That's... super disappointing. What the hell. I get that it's free, though, but come on :\

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017
The hell? There's 4 classes and only 1 is a woman?

That's... super disappointing. What the hell. I get that it's free, though, but come on :\

Even though I've never played Ghosts of Tsushima, I guarantee that decision was made under the all too common excuse of "historical accuracy." (Ah, historical accuracy. Always there to give the devs a free pass to exclude women in their incredibly realistic game with -supernatural elements-)

I remember a very heated argument on a sizable Japanese history forum once about how there was no and literally -cannot- be "female samurai" because they already have a dedicated non-samurai neologism for them that itself had to be made up because no women in history actually qualified for it and blah blah blah...

At a guess, they have people who subscribe to those same ideas on their staff/working as consultants. Same goes for Ronin, btw.

But gender locking the assassin class feels weak even under the guise of "history." (Sadly, I can't pull out any counter examples atm.)

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Even though I've never played Ghosts of Tsushima, I guarantee that decision was made under the all too common excuse of "historical accuracy." (Ah, historical accuracy. Always there to give the devs a free pass to exclude women in their incredibly realistic game with -supernatural elements-)

I remember a very heated argument on a sizable Japanese history forum once about how there was no and literally -cannot- be "female samurai" because they already have a dedicated non-samurai neologism for them that itself had to be made up because no women in history actually qualified for it and blah blah blah...

At a guess, they have people who subscribe to those same ideas on their staff/working as consultants. Same goes for Ronin, btw.

But gender locking the assassin class feels weak even under the guise of "history." (Sadly, I can't pull out any counter examples atm.)
I don't think the historical accuracy was a factor. The main game features tons of women in various combat roles, including female samurai. And it's not a historically accurate game anyway because samurai didn't even exist during the Mongol invention, they came about centuries later.

I'm assuming it's a technical limitation but they could have at least made it so that it's 2 men and 2 women. :\

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

These feel less like classes and more like fixed characters. So you can create your character but if you make a female you'll have to play with bow and arrow? Or do you choose your class first?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the historical accuracy was a factor. The main game features tons of women in various combat roles, including female samurai. And it's not a historically accurate game anyway because samurai didn't even exist during the Mongol invention, they came about centuries later.

I'm assuming it's a technical limitation but they could have at least made it so that it's 2 men and 2 women. :\
I don't know enough about sucker punch and their dev process, but is it possible this is a thing where a separate team within the company did the multiplayer? Because the main game definitely felt more progressive than the dlc so far. Honestly if the classes had been represented by side npc's they probably could have done the split much better. Yuna as the assassin, Sensei Ishikawa as the hunter , Lady Adachi as the Samurai, and Ryuzo as the ronin.

These feel less like classes and more like fixed characters. So you can create your character but if you make a female you'll have to play with bow and arrow? Or do you choose your class first?

There is no character creation. After picking a class you can unlock some different armors and hats and stuff though. You pick a class out of 4. They are essentially set characters yeah, but they have no personality, almost no voiced lines, and basically no faces so "set characters" is generous. They are set classes out of 4.
Every class uses the swords, ghost tools, and bow and arrows. But everyone has different focuses in their talent load outs and special abilities. The Hunter (the one woman class) uses the bow and arrow for both her ultimate and her special ability, and her talents that I have unlocked so far all focus on the bow and arrow. She does still have a sword, but it is not her focus and she's better off avoiding using it when possible.

Last edited:

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017

Huh...Thanks for that. I didn't know they specifically included female samurai - though I'd seen a few of the game's female characters here and there. Although now I'm left even more confused by the decision. Let's hope it's truly technical. And agreed about that 50/50 split.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
New DLC character in Nioh 2:

EkWHVi8X0AUEIgH.jpg

She's the first boss and really hard to beat, too. Man, Team Ninja sure has come a long way.

Edit: omg, I googled her name and... turns out she's a gender-swapped version of a historical character, and that same character has had a gender-swapped version in Fate/Grand Order, looking like... well, the one on the right:

j1z8iw21u5t51.png

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Fate Grand Order made me hate the Fate franchise, and also Type Moon. Amazing what they will do just to sell 'waifus'... Or actually, have people gamble to get the 'waifu' they want.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fate Grand Order made me hate the Fate franchise, and also Type Moon. Amazing what they will do just to sell 'waifus'... Or actually, have people gamble to get the 'waifu' they want.

To be fair, Fate has always been about people collecting sexed-up versions of historical figures to use as combat slaves. Grand Order just monetized that to a comical level.

I'm not saying that it's okay, mind you. Just that Fate is conceptually problematic at its core.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That character looks they have the metal contents of an ornamental fruit bowl strapped to their chest.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
This GoT multiplayer discussion makes me want to give props to R6 Siege for always doing a 1:1 ratio of men and women in DLC. The amount of women in the game is truly staggering for a military shooter.

The Fate team really need a big chested character in their game.

To be fair, Fate has always been about people collecting sexed-up versions of historical figures to use as combat slaves. Grand Order just monetized that to a comical level.

I'm not saying that it's okay, mind you. Just that Fate is conceptually problematic at its core.
Going back to the original VN it was pretty bad.

Rin, at one point, turns Saber on inorder for the Shirou to get rile up for sex so they can have a better connection.

It pretty funny how Fate Zero was where things got a lot more series and little more mature with it subject matter. Going from it hot that King Arthur is a lady to her struggle to being a king and flipping gender norms.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Back then when I was a teen and watched F/SN I didn't notice it, but the whole Master/Servant system is... yikes.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
New DLC character in Nioh 2:

EkWHVi8X0AUEIgH.jpg

She's the first boss and really hard to beat, too. Man, Team Ninja sure has come a long way.

Edit: omg, I googled her name and... turns out she's a gender-swapped version of a historical character, and that same character has had a gender-swapped version in Fate/Grand Order, looking like... well, the one on the right:
Is Nioh 2 coming to PC? Or is it still in PS4 jail? I'd like to play it but I just don't really want to invest in a PS4 for one game. Not to mention that PS5 is coming soon and I'm pretty sure the backwards compatibility is non-existent.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is Nioh 2 coming to PC? Or is it still in PS4 jail? I'd like to play it but I just don't really want to invest in a PS4 for one game. Not to mention that PS5 is coming soon and I'm pretty sure the backwards compatibility is non-existent.

PS5 can play pretty much every PS4 game aside from a list of like 10.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
It pretty funny how Fate Zero was where things got a lot more series and little more mature with it subject matter. Going from it hot that King Arthur is a lady to her struggle to being a king and flipping gender norms.
Fate Zero without any fan service manages to have every single female character written worse than in the eroge VN original though. Especially King Arthur, Saber is actually a good character in the main VN while in Zero she's a one-note cut-out obsessed with "my honour". The less said about Irisvel and Kiritsugu's affair the better too.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
No PC version announced yet but it's probably coming at some point, Nioh 1 did get a PC port. That said, yes, the PS5 has backward compatibility. Some games like Ghost of Tsushima get a 60 FPS patch too.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
No PC version announced yet but it's probably coming at some point, Nioh 1 did get a PC port. That said, yes, the PS5 has backward compatibility. Some games like Ghost of Tsushima get a 60 FPS patch too.
Thanks for the info. And yeah, the FGO characters are... well, they're intended to sell to their audience (horny children). Particularly gross is that every further iteration of the game just makes the stuff worse and even more objectifying and exploitative.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Nioh 2 has different modes and two of them have unlocked framerates so it'll probably get 60 fps on the PS5

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Nioh 2 has different modes and two of them have unlocked framerates so it'll probably get 60 fps on the PS5
Yeah, I'm playing gameplay mode (1080/60 on the PS4 pro, I believe it's 720p/60 on the regular PS4). Hopefully the PS5 gets a patch for 1440p or 4K with 60fps, that'd be great. Not sure if they'll bother though and it might just run in simple backward compatibility mode without any boost.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Yeah, I'm playing gameplay mode (1080/60 on the PS4 pro, I believe it's 720p/60 on the regular PS4). Hopefully the PS5 gets a patch for 1440p or 4K with 60fps, that'd be great. Not sure if they'll bother though and it might just run in simple backward compatibility mode without any boost.
It came out this year right? Hopefully they'll do a patch, especially since they're coming out with DLC for it so soon to PS5's release! I liked the character creator, it's one of the better ones in action rpgs I've seen.